Forum » FFXI » General » Failure To launch Direct3D
Failure To launch Direct3D
 Asura.Topace
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2017-05-03 14:03:22
Link | Quote | Reply

My computer updated itself to the windower 10 Creator Update and now ffxi keeps giving me this error. Does anyone know how to fix it?
By stratton 2017-05-03 14:10:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't have computer in front of me, but I believe you have to goto control panel->add windows feature. In the windows feature you should see something like DirectPlay or DirectX8 that you need to check and install.
 Asura.Topace
By Asura.Topace 2017-05-03 15:45:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I've tried everything ; ;. I was literally on this morning and after the update I can't get on anymore.

[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-05-03 15:51:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mrkillface
Server: Cerberus
user: bitchtits
By Cerberus.Mrkillface 2017-05-03 16:19:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Try keeping internet explorer open while you launch the game. Sounds dumb, but it works most of the time for this error.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-05-03 20:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Try installing this, it's the DirectX 9.0c runtime libraries that are needed. You shouldn't need these but .. Windows 10 is Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

It extracts into a folder, run DXSETUP.EXE from inside that folder.
 Bismarck.Xurion
Server: Bismarck
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2017-05-04 09:44:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I had this when I got my new Windows 10 machine. You need to enable the DirectPlay option in Windows features:

Then you should see:

Although that screenshot doesn't show the option you want. You want to check the DirectPlay checkbox in the list.
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2017-05-04 09:56:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Xurion said: »
I had this when I got my new Windows 10 machine. You need to enable the DirectPlay option in Windows features:

Then you should see:

Although that screenshot doesn't show the option you want. You want to check the DirectPlay checkbox in the list.

Directplay is under Legacy Components.
 Asura.Topace
By Asura.Topace 2017-05-04 11:07:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm on now it seems that I can not log on through windower anymore just through ashita and regular. Gearswap you will be missed.
 Asura.Neufko
user: siskotaru
By Asura.Neufko 2017-05-04 18:47:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You can roll back before creator's update, it'll work again.

Start menu > Settings > Update and security > Click the Recovery link and then click on 'Get started' under 'Go back to the previous version of Windows 10.'

Follow the steps and you'll be back in no time
By Panthur 2017-05-07 11:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Go to start menu, type in Final Fantasy config, load THAT and go to screen size, click DEFAULT, save, then close that. Load FFXI without windower. once it loads, close that, then load ffxi through the windower.

It's an annoying bug that happens when the game crashes with windower sometimes. The screen size setting gets messed up and complains about 3d bs.

Forgot to add, there is also a topic about this somewhere but i'm at work and can't rummage for it on the fuorums atm.
[+]
 Asura.Neufko
user: siskotaru
By Asura.Neufko 2017-05-07 11:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks a lot panthur !
By Panthur 2017-05-08 06:26:12
Link | Quote | Reply

No problem.
:)
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-05-08 09:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Panthur said: »
Go to start menu, type in Final Fantasy config, load THAT and go to screen size, click DEFAULT, save, then close that. Load FFXI without windower. once it loads, close that, then load ffxi through the windower.

It's an annoying bug that happens when the game crashes with windower sometimes. The screen size setting gets messed up and complains about 3d bs.

Forgot to add, there is also a topic about this somewhere but i'm at work and can't rummage for it on the fuorums atm.

This is the best explanation I have seen in my entire ffxi career. At least once every 6-8 months, I have this issue and I can't for the life of me log on for a solid 5+ hours. Takes me forever to find the fix.

Gonna copy and paste these instructions because I know it'll come up again soon. Thanks!
By Panthur 2017-05-09 13:22:39
Link | Quote | Reply

You're welcome. At work again. But i believe if you google 3D device error or similar the original topic pops up.
 Asura.Warpy
user: Warpy
By Asura.Warpy 2017-06-04 06:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm having the same problem just this morning (sun 4th June) after installing a big Win 10 update.. I've located the directplay thing and it's already checked. I'm currently looking for that Final Fantasy config file but having no luck. I hate windows.

edit: managed to set screensize to default.. launched game without windower and seemed ok.. logged out and started via windower and the exact same problem.
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
Server: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-06-04 09:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Warpy said: »
I'm having the same problem just this morning (sun 4th June) after installing a big Win 10 update.. I've located the directplay thing and it's already checked. I'm currently looking for that Final Fantasy config file but having no luck. I hate windows.

edit: managed to set screensize to default.. launched game without windower and seemed ok.. logged out and started via windower and the exact same problem.

Try this solution
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/50727/windower-wont-start-windower-v43-and-the-creators/20#3263547
Quote:
For whatever reason, if the resolution data is reset (this can happen if you simply click into the resolution box to change it, and possibly change the settings in windower by accident) the windower program will return no resolution values causing the crash and also prevent you from editing a width/height resolution data as they have completely disappeared from the settings file (see below)

Devs appear to be aware and provided the solution back in April
http://forums.windower.net/index.php?/topic/1235-resolution-issue/
http://forums.windower.net/index.php?/topic/1271-unable-to-adjust-resolution/

Easiest solution is to edit the .xml file via notepad or a text editor and edit in the resolution values as well as your windower setting (windowed, borderless windowed etc) This would be lines 3-5 in the code block below.

It should look something like this
Code
  <profile name="Large Screen">
    <consolekey>F10</consolekey>
    <windowmode>Window</windowmode>
    <width>1768</width>
    <height>992</height>
    <mipmaplevel>6</mipmaplevel>
    <uiscale>1</uiscale>
    <bumpmapping>true</bumpmapping>
  </profile>

Note the window mode and width/height settings under the consolekey argument.

The resolution data was completely missing in my text file which is what caused POL to crash. This should fix it. Save a copy of the settings.xml file somewhere in your HDD or in the cloud and you can restore it if it happens again.
By Panthur 2017-06-05 11:06:14
Link | Quote | Reply

In windows search box type in the word Final
It will find the file Final Fantasy XI Config for you