Forum » FFXI » General » Crit on fencer abilty
Crit on fencer abilty
 Odin.Horu
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: stratusx
By Odin.Horu 2017-04-14 04:22:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'v been trying to find any testing done on this, however realising that most searches for fencer only lead to rune fencer, and if there is some information, its buried under a million pages.

Does fencer trait force critical attacks on weapons that aren't crit based if it activates? simple enough
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2017-04-14 04:54:48
Link | Quote | Reply

no
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2017-04-14 08:02:47
Link | Quote | Reply

You asking if Fencer forces crits on weapon skills or main hand weapons? Fencer is just +Crit and +TP Bonus when wielding a single 1H weapon, if the Weapon Skill doesn't have a crit function then it won't crit period.
[+]
 Odin.Horu
By Odin.Horu 2017-04-14 08:35:38
Link | Quote | Reply

i knew all WSs don't crit unless stated or unless they are paired with sneak attack or certain dnc abilitys, etc,

i was just curious if anyone did any testing or read someones results on WS testing specificly since most people only ever dual wield or use 2 handed weapons on the jobs that get fencer at higher levels so wouldn't really see any numbers at all, even if they are 1 handing it, they would more than likely use a defencive set so wouldn't be paying attention
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-04-14 09:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Fencer quite often on WAR with Kirins's sword and Blurred +1 Shield, Fencer Savage or Cloud Splitter is stupid powerful. The crit effect is very noticable and it does work on Vorpal though you won't often use a crit WS while also using Fencer because it favors high fTP single hit WS's.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2017-04-14 09:52:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
I use Fencer quite often on WAR with Kirins's sword and Blurred +1 Shield, Fencer Savage or Cloud Splitter is stupid powerful. The crit effect is very noticable and it does work on Vorpal though you won't often use a crit WS while also using Fencer because it favors high fTP single hit WS's.

This, though I've hit some stupid Vorpal Blade numbers with blood rage up. If you choose to dual wield on Warrior, Vorpal Blade spam is pretty strong as well, as is Savage Blade if you end up having an over flow of tp. I'd only use it for screwing around/ambuscade. Tanmo+1/Sangarius+1 is a pretty nice combination.

Weaponskill damage is a bit less, but the weaponskill frequency is greater than sword shield (that is a given though).

With fencer it (Vorpal Blade) only seems worth using when Sekkanoki is up.

Calamity is pretty powerful as well with fencer, but the skillchain properties are crap.

Mistral Axe can also give you a nice ranged option.

IMO Fencer's main strength is being able to mitigate damage/tank while being able to weaponskill for high numbers.
 Odin.Horu
By Odin.Horu 2017-04-16 04:15:07
Link | Quote | Reply

sounds like Adapa Shield is the winner in this case (Since you'd have higher block rate). if its not a impossible boss, war with a half decent dt and acc set would work pretty well.

Ofcause nothing beats ochain/aegis/burt or epeo tanking but perhaps as a alternative while having retaliation on? could be a support DD tank
 Shiva.Malthar
Server: Shiva
user: Malthar
By Shiva.Malthar 2017-04-16 08:41:28
Link | Quote | Reply

'Woulda been nice if they put +wsd and/or sic/ready -5 on Adapa Shield, but SE seems to have lost their love (again) for bst. We are in the dog house; no pun intended.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-04-16 09:15:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Malthar said: »
'Woulda been nice if they put +wsd and/or sic/ready -5 on Adapa Shield, but SE seems to have lost their love (again) for bst. We are in the dog house; no pun intended.

BST's are the ones still insisting on using a level 89 weapon while trying to play the game on easy mode. SE should cap -Ready from gear to only count the highest piece of gear like how Geomancy and Rolls works. Then they could release a Ready -8 accessory and not worry about breaking anything.

Yes as long as BST's are trying to be wannabe SMN's their going to have issues.
 Shiva.Malthar
Server: Shiva
user: Malthar
By Shiva.Malthar 2017-04-16 11:05:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Spoken from a true person on Asura. They love bst!
[+]