Windower Won't Start! - Windower V4.3 And The Creators Update

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Windower » News » Windower won't start! - Windower v4.3 and the Creators Update
Windower won't start! - Windower v4.3 and the Creators Update
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 19 20 21
 Ragnarok.Inx
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Inxmonk
By Ragnarok.Inx 2017-04-29 07:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I've reverted to using the dev build posted a couple of days ago that fixed the crash bug for me, but is there an easier way of blocking the launcher update than disabling the network?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2017-04-29 08:02:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Copy the version you like.
Paste it.
Open launcher
Replace the downloaded hook with the copy you made
Launch POL

To reiterate, any problems you encounter while doing this are your own. If you are using XP and/or an outdated hook, please don't report any issues.
[+]
 Asura.Sesono
Server: Asura
user: Zyanide
By Asura.Sesono 2017-04-29 08:03:37
Link | Quote | Reply

How do i get it to run on 8.1 - its not starting at all
 Ragnarok.Inx
user: Inxmonk
By Ragnarok.Inx 2017-04-29 08:05:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Appreciate the feedback Byrth, but my issue isn't with the hook, its how the launcher interfaces with the hook.

I've been using the new hook just fine, and have been since the initial fix was made to the pushed launcher/hook combo a couple of days ago where it crashed on attempting to launch POL.

This is a different symptom, its a hang, and it only started following todays push, updating my launcher only.

Reverting the launcher, solves my issue.

Edit: Reworded the above a bit for clarity, and specificity to my issues.
 Cerberus.Mrkillface
Server: Cerberus
user: bitchtits
By Cerberus.Mrkillface 2017-04-29 08:29:31
Link | Quote | Reply

First off, I want to thank you for the effort you guys put into windower. It really is the best thing to ever happen to this game. I don't know how / why you do it, but I'm glad that you do.

Fenrir.Caiir said: »
Windower now uses SquareEnix's window modes because it made more sense while transitioning our backend to do so. This has had a few side effects:

I don't know what technical hurdles this resolves from a back end perspective, but from a user perspective there is no upside. I know you guys have crash issues to deal with, but once those are taken care of, please look at this and see if anything can be done to make it less annoying. Seriously. It looks terrible. Running through dark zones while the border around the game - that previously didn't exist - glows florescent green or white for no apparent reason is crazy distracting. It's like when the sun glares off your TV screen.

Fenrir.Caiir said: »
[li]Logger : Can crash you and has been reported to cause severe lag. This plugin is deprecated, it will not be updated. Please transition to the addon equivalent.

I wasn't clear in my previous post about this, but the logger addon is causing lag. I don't know if there's a dump that could provide any useful info due to the nature of the issue, but I'll be happy to provide anything I can. I'll post in the issue tracker and stop mucking up the forum.

Again, thank you for all the hard work.
[+]
 Odin.Geriond
Server: Odin
user: Gerion
By Odin.Geriond 2017-04-29 09:31:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Do we have to enable something for Windower to create a crash log? Nothing is showing up in the Windower 4 directory after each crash.
 Lakshmi.Guyledouche
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Guyledouche 2017-04-29 10:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Inx said: »
Valefor.Psykopat said: »
Today I have the "Launching PlayOnline" message and it stays like that forever :(

Any way to get the version that was working 2 days ago before the hook 4.3.0.6 update?

Same exact symptom here. Win10 Pro, 32-bit. Just sits showing "Launching Playonline" endlessly. This was after today's push-update.

I am also having this issue as of yesterday. Win7 pro, 32 bit
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-04-29 10:52:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Whatever you guys did is exploding people's clients left and right. Half my omen static was crashing and had Windower explode on them using Windows 7, 8 and 10. You need to have way to completely shut down auto-update, otherwise known as "auto-break-***-you" and a revert button.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Perciva
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Perciva
By Quetzalcoatl.Perciva 2017-04-29 10:56:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Had the "Launching to POL" message as well since this morning. Windows 10. Tried the Dev version, replacing with a previous Hook...still the same. Several times the Windower.exe file would disappear from the folder as well and need to be copy/pasted or re-downloaded.

Edit: Tried on my laptop, and it worked (current release version, didn't need Dev-version). Only difference that I can see is pc is 32bit and laptop is 64bit. No updates were applied since a week ago to the pc and it worked all the way until this morning.
By Nikila 2017-04-29 11:06:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm having windowed launch problems as well. I run a Win10 computer and am not the smartest tech person. Can anyone give me the simple way to fix. Thanks.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2017-04-29 11:32:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Whatever you guys did is exploding people's clients left and right. Half my omen static was crashing and had Windower explode on them using Windows 7, 8 and 10. You need to have way to completely shut down auto-update, otherwise known as "auto-break-***-you" and a revert button.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-04-29 11:44:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Perciva said: »
Had the "Launching to POL" message as well since this morning. Windows 10. Tried the Dev version, replacing with a previous Hook...still the same. Several times the Windower.exe file would disappear from the folder as well and need to be copy/pasted or re-downloaded.

Edit: Tried on my laptop, and it worked (current release version, didn't need Dev-version). Only difference that I can see is pc is 32bit and laptop is 64bit. No updates were applied since a week ago to the pc and it worked all the way until this morning.

Seems one of the developers made the decision to *** everyone and use a 64-bit libraries / compiler. Even though all this stuff is 32-bit, their code won't work unless your system is 64-bit Windows.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-04-29 12:05:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Chill, it's almost certainly an accident. A move to 64-bit only would have required significant thought and announcement. I'm sure it will be resolved soon enough.
[+]
By Rife 2017-04-29 12:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Im unable to make a crash report because of the way the game crashes. However I have pinned it down.

on Windows 10 - 64 Bit

Game would crash if minimized and brought back up.

Disabled the taskbar thumbnail preview and I was able to minimize and bring it back up. However if it stays minimized too long it would crash. These crashes happen only when the window is attempting to be restored.

Oh and replacing hook.dll with an older one fixed everything
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-04-29 13:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Just revert and then carefully test to figure out what broke everything because this is just crazy. Randomly my keyboard and mouse completely lose focus on Windower and my character starts running in circles. Need to alt-tab or click windower to gain control again.

And why is the cancel button grayed out, what does that accomplish, how does that make the experience "better" or introduce a new / fixed feature? Other then "you must now use taskmanager to close this program out".
[+]
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2017-04-29 13:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I appreciate the efforts, etc etc

Why not make windower for specific OS's to avoid "fixing" one and screwing everything else before that? You know like anything that has a installation you normally specify if you're on Windows X X-bit

blah
user: swordwiz
By Asura.Lordoftheseven 2017-04-29 13:50:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Rife said: »
Im unable to make a crash report because of the way the game crashes. However I have pinned it down.

on Windows 10 - 64 Bit

Game would crash if minimized and brought back up.

Disabled the taskbar thumbnail preview and I was able to minimize and bring it back up. However if it stays minimized too long it would crash. These crashes happen only when the window is attempting to be restored.

Oh and replacing hook.dll with an older one fixed everything

Rife is right worked for me couldn't even have a 2nd char logged in without black/white screening or dcing replaced hook.dll and now im fine
By Aeyela 2017-04-29 13:57:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dannyl said: »
Why not make windower for specific OS's to avoid "fixing" one and screwing everything else before that? You know like anything that has a installation you normally specify if you're on Windows X X-bit

For a team of people who are working entirely of their own volition for no pay, that is going to add quite an additional amount of work. It's not as simple as compiling to a different type of code. It also seems pretty pointless, because a) the amount of people playing XI on mac is probably so minor it's irrelevant, therefore we're only talking Windows, and b) the windower source for 32 and 64 would be more or less the same; 64 bit software just uses more modern (and generally faster though not always) libraries, that are not backwards compatible. 32 bit is forwards compatible in general, so compiling versions for different bit of systems is pretty pointless. There's no reason a Windower source written in Windows 10 64 shouldn't work on Windows XP, even, providing they're not using the 64 bit libraries. But even if it did, Microsoft stopped supporting XP years ago. Expecting a business who are making money from their product to support XP would be expecting much, let alone a team working for free of their own good will for their community.

I don't think this was done intentionally, and it will likely be fixed, if this is causing the problem in no time at all.
 Ragnarok.Kenshi
user: KenshiDRK
By Ragnarok.Kenshi 2017-04-29 14:04:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Just revert and then carefully test to figure out what broke everything because this is just crazy. Randomly my keyboard and mouse completely lose focus on Windower and my character starts running in circles. Need to alt-tab or click windower to gain control again.

And why is the cancel button grayed out, what does that accomplish, how does that make the experience "better" or introduce a new / fixed feature? Other then "you must now use taskmanager to close this program out".

you can use //terminate to exit the game which should be faster than the cancel button, so dunno why is it a problem that the cancel button is grayed out.
 Bismarck.Vespertaru
Server: Bismarck
user: Vesper84
By Bismarck.Vespertaru 2017-04-29 14:19:36
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my crash log with Windower 4 on Vista:

System.TimeoutException: The operation has timed out.
at Launcher.PlayOnlineLauncher.Launch(String hook, Profile profile, Boolean debug, TimeSpan timeout)
at Launcher.Tasks.LaunchTask.Run()
at Launcher.Tasks.Task.Run(Core core)
at Launcher.Core.Run()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Hope this is the information you need, otherwise tell me where else I need to look.
 Asura.Sesono
By Asura.Sesono 2017-04-29 14:20:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kenshi said: »

you can use //terminate to exit the game which should be faster than the cancel button, so dunno why is it a problem that the cancel button is grayed out.
When you start windower (or try to but doesnt work) the X in the upper right corner isnt working atm - thats what he was saying.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-04-29 14:49:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sesono said: »

When you start windower (or try to but doesnt work) the X in the upper right corner isnt working atm - thats what he was saying.

It's how you close out a badly behaving instance or when you have a bunch of mules opened up. More to the point, its messing with stuff that doesn't need to be messed with. We all know FFXI's "Windowed" mode sucks ***, it was a halfhearted attempt that was buggy and tended to crash often. Windower implemented a far superior method that was stable. Now they've tossed away Windower's own stable mode in favor of using SE's buggy unstable mode. No amount of "features" can make up for making a program fundamentally unstable unless you strong arm and force people to use it my taking away any other choice they have.

Aeyela said: »
Bahamut.Dannyl said: »

For a team of people who are working entirely of their own volition for no pay, that is going to add quite an additional amount of work. It's not as simple as compiling to a different type of code. It also seems pretty pointless, because a) the amount of people playing XI on mac is probably so minor it's irrelevant, therefore we're only talking Windows, and b) the windower source for 32 and 64 would be more or less the same; 64 bit software just uses more modern (and generally faster though not always) libraries, that are not backwards compatible. 32 bit is forwards compatible in general, so compiling versions for different bit of systems is pretty pointless. There's no reason a Windower source written in Windows 10 64 shouldn't work on Windows XP, even, providing they're not using the 64 bit libraries. But even if it did, Microsoft stopped supporting XP years ago. Expecting a business who are making money from their product to support XP would be expecting much, let alone a team working for free of their own good will for their community.

I don't think this was done intentionally, and it will likely be fixed, if this is causing the problem in no time at all.

Compiling different versions would be dumb and counterproductive, something as simple as an option in a config to "enable new mode X or use legacy mode Y" usually works well for most people. Windows XP is obviously beyond saving but Windows 7 is still your majority platform. Windows 10 is a new OS that doesn't like old programs or old hardware, and further more it's undergoing constantly *forced* updates that break stuff all the time. Hell Windows 10 doesn't even support DX8 (which is FFXI), it's barely emulated through DX9 that's then emulated and run on DX11 or 12 depending. This is why FFXI is so unstable on Windows 10. MS's last *beta* for that broke a bunch of legacy stuff. The only way to get FFXI running in a remotely safe fashion on Windows 10 would be to do a wrapper that converted it's DX8 calls into DX11/12, which is a whole other beast of an issue.
 Asura.Sesono
By Asura.Sesono 2017-04-29 14:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say lets just rollback to the last version until you have more insight of what the heck is going on... i'm sure everyone would be pleased with that...

I can't stand a nekkid ffxi ><
[+]
By Aeyela 2017-04-29 15:19:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Compiling different versions would be dumb and counterproductive, something as simple as an option in a config to "enable new mode X or use legacy mode Y" usually works well for most people. Windows XP is obviously beyond saving but Windows 7 is still your majority platform. Windows 10 is a new OS that doesn't like old programs or old hardware, and further more it's undergoing constantly *forced* updates that break stuff all the time. Hell Windows 10 doesn't even support DX8 (which is FFXI), it's barely emulated through DX9 that's then emulated and run on DX11 or 12 depending. This is why FFXI is so unstable on Windows 10. MS's last *beta* for that broke a bunch of legacy stuff. The only way to get FFXI running in a remotely safe fashion on Windows 10 would be to do a wrapper that converted it's DX8 calls into DX11/12, which is a whole other beast of an issue.

I wrote a long winded explanation of how I disagree with a lot of that and realised we're detracting somewhat from the topic. I would at least like to point out that most of the problems arise from retailers and manufacturers not bothering to upgrade their drivers and releasing plastered over Windows 7/8 drivers as "Windows 10" versions. Intel and Nivida are two of the high profile manufacturers I can remember being caught doing this and I'm sure there's more that I don't remember off the top of my head. Because most people believe the "hurr durr Windows 10 sucks" conjecture, everyone takes it for gospel when those same manufacturers turn around and blame all the problems with their product on Microsoft. As an OS in terms of performance and ease of working with, Windows 10 is arguably Microsoft's greatest system.

In 11's case, it's using a fifteen year old engine that has seen zero overhauls. If there are problems on Windows 10 playing it (I've experienced none, even with Windower, and remember those who have no problems don't go to forums especially to tell everyone) the blame lies firmly with SE, not Microsoft. You can't honestly expect them to maintain fifteen year backwards compatibility for those few developers who refuse to upgrade their engines. Nowadays we expect developers to maintain modern support in their applications. I think XI is one of the few products which can get away with not bothering to do this.
 Fenrir.Soulstealers
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Soulstealers 2017-04-29 15:37:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say lets just rollback to the last version until you have more insight of what the heck is going on... i'm sure everyone would be pleased with that...

[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-04-29 15:47:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I did this, then I blacklisted IP 69.64.46.229 at my firewall so that it won't overwrite the 4.2 Launcher and hook.dll. Everything is fine in the world and FFXI plays today exactly like it played yesterday.

Aeyela said: »

I wrote a long winded explanation of how I disagree with a lot of that and realised we're detracting somewhat from the topic. I would at least like to point out that most of the problems arise from retailers and manufacturers not bothering to upgrade their drivers and releasing plastered over Windows 7/8 drivers as "Windows 10" versions. Intel and Nivida are two of the high profile manufacturers I can remember being caught doing this and I'm sure there's more that I don't remember off the top of my head. Because most people believe the "hurr durr Windows 10 sucks" conjecture, everyone takes it for gospel when those same manufacturers turn around and blame all the problems with their product on Microsoft. As an OS in terms of performance and ease of working with, Windows 10 is arguably Microsoft's greatest system.

In 11's case, it's using a fifteen year old engine that has seen zero overhauls. If there are problems on Windows 10 playing it (I've experienced none, even with Windower, and remember those who have no problems don't go to forums especially to tell everyone) the blame lies firmly with SE, not Microsoft. You can't honestly expect them to maintain fifteen year backwards compatibility for those few developers who refuse to upgrade their engines. Nowadays we expect developers to maintain modern support in their applications. I think XI is one of the few products which can get away with not bothering to do this.

Windows 10 has deprecated support for DirectX 8 and 9, FFXI is a DirectX 8 game and DX9 is the compatibility layer for DX8 on NT6.5 and higher. Windows 10 is fine for those who use it, but it's really really bad at legacy applications, this is a known thing.

Case in point, the Windower development team just broke Windower for everyone *not* on Windows 10, by trying to make it compatible with Windows 10. They probably didn't intend for it to happen, but since absolutely zero testing happened on anything before Windows 10, well breakage happened.

In other words, if you were right then Windower 4.3 wouldn't be broke. Windower 4.3 is broke.

Or is this a "Your Holding it Wrong" moment...
 Ragnarok.Kenshi
user: KenshiDRK
By Ragnarok.Kenshi 2017-04-29 15:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I know he was speaking about X in the right corner >.>. Do you guys realize //terminate has the same function.
 Odin.Geriond
Server: Odin
user: Gerion
By Odin.Geriond 2017-04-29 15:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I know he was speaking about X in the right corner >.>. Do you guys realize //terminate has the same function.
You can't type anything at the Windower 4 screen.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 19 20 21