Windower Won't Start! - Windower V4.3 And The Creators Update

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Windower » News » Windower won't start! - Windower v4.3 and the Creators Update
Windower won't start! - Windower v4.3 and the Creators Update
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Zaphor
By Leviathan.Arcon 2017-04-15 00:21:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hopefulki said: »
Adding: PartyBuffs crashes 4.3

I don't know that addon, but we had one crash left with regards to image objects drawn on-screen. That has now been fixed on the latest dev version. Could you see if it still happens?
 Asura.Selindrile
Server: Asura
By Asura.Selindrile 2017-04-15 02:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm on the dev version, assuming it has to do with the new hook, but not sure, windows button is now not being intercepted by windower (Win7, borderless windowed), pulling up my windows bar instead of my normal macros that used that key, also the minimize command is not working.

Update: In some cases the windows key does work with some combinations, and doesn't pull up the start bar, like windows+I does the macro I have set up, but windows+M minimizes the next thing I would alt tab to in focus that isn't FFXI (when it should be my mount in game) and the windows key pressed and released alone brings up my start bar, so I presume the windows windows-key combinations are taking precedence, but if there doesn't happen to be one (like in the case of windows+i) it works?

That said, I've also noticed what seems to be a marked performance improvement.
 Asura.Malichi
By Asura.Malichi 2017-04-15 04:36:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Followed the steps as prescribed. Running Win 10 build 16170.rs prerelease.

Hooks but does not run playonline. Game runs normally though, tried to run in compatability after first few tries. If you need a dump file, let me know exactly how I can post that. Any help is appreciated.
By Jetackuu 2017-04-15 05:57:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Dx8 calls are already converted to Dx9 by Windows. The problem is that Optimus doesn't feed those calls to your GPU. It's unclear why Optimus does this, so I'm willing to dump this all on Nvidia and blame them.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3733

There's no real logic provided there. I could see them maybe making some handwave-y "it's more power efficient to do it on the CPU" for some reason, but I can't think what that reason is.

Guessing (based on the description in that link) they're throwing the blame on M$ for driver implementation in Windows 10.

I guess the best ways around this would be to basically use a different driver (may have to have one made for the specific versions, I do see that there's a project to bring optimus technology to Linux, which would be interesting if they managed to get it working.) I'm not sure if the one laptop I have supports optimus or not, I'd have to dig it out and look.

Other option would be to get a device that allows you to disable the integrated GPU and only use the discrete GPU at the hardware level, unfortunately those are typically business grade devices and also use business GPUs and aren't really made for playing games. But they'd probably play XI just fine.

Seems interesting.
By Jetackuu 2017-04-15 06:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I asked in another thread but I didn't see a response, does the Windower team plan to continue support for Windows 7 through it's lifecycle? (2020 it's looking like).
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2017-04-15 07:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

tbf we're still trying to cast out the XP demons.

I don't think you need to worry about Windows 7 for a while.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2017-04-15 07:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Just checking, thanks. Just not a big fan of the "as a service" model and probably won't change my VMs from 7 until I need to. Hell I may start using Wine if that's up and running well with 5.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-04-15 09:55:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Dx8 calls are already converted to Dx9 by Windows. The problem is that Optimus doesn't feed those calls to your GPU. It's unclear why Optimus does this, so I'm willing to dump this all on Nvidia and blame them.

From what I understand, optimus will feed native Dx9 calls to the GPU and that's why the ashita test build successfully activates the GPU. Windows' emulated dx8 uses Dx9 calls, but does not feed them to GPU. I did not work on it at all, so may be misunderstanding the situation.
 Asura.Kurganprime
user: Kurgan
By Asura.Kurganprime 2017-04-15 11:51:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Another side note with this 4.3 Windower version -- I feel like the overall brightness without "forceambientlight" option turned on is MUCH improved.
 Sylph.Talym
VIP
Server: Sylph
user: Talym
By Sylph.Talym 2017-04-15 14:03:47
Link | Quote | Reply

With the current build on -dev, I can confirm that both EnemyBar and PartyBuffs are working correctly and no longer cause crashes.

On the other hand, although probably not many people use it, Wincontrol seems to be crashing.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2017-04-15 17:07:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know what's happening today but for me Windower is constantly crashing to the point I can't really play.
 Sylph.Talym
VIP
user: Talym
By Sylph.Talym 2017-04-15 17:33:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
I don't know what's happening today but for me Windower is constantly crashing to the point I can't really play.

Is there any additional info you can provide? Addons/plugins that you're using? Particular actions that seem to crash it?
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2017-04-15 17:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Talym said: »

Is there any additional info you can provide? Addons/plugins that you're using? Particular actions that seem to crash it?
Last time after multiple crashed I just logged in and ignored the game, sort of to see if I could stay on log enough to feasibly play, the game crashed while I was browsing the internet.

My list of loaded plugins/addons is:

aecho
AutoRA
azureSets
battlemod
boxdestroyer
ChatLink
ConsoleBG
distance
DressUp
findAll
GearSwap
instaLS
itemizer
linker
ohShi
organizer
pointwatch
remember
rolltracker
send
setbgm
shortcuts
Silence
SpellCheck
timestamp

Chatmon
Config
DelayMeNot
FFXIDB
FishingCrashFix
Guildwork
Infobar
Sandbox
SSOrganizer
Timers

If there's any more info I can provide I will, but I'm not really sure what would be useful.
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
By Leviathan.Arcon 2017-04-15 17:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You could provide us with a crash dump!
[+]
 Sylph.Uuther
user: Uther
By Sylph.Uuther 2017-04-15 18:29:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Downloaded the new launcher and I get past the login screen but when I hit the play button I get Terminated as error occurred in Final Fantasy XI. Failed to initialize Direct3D. Please check that this computer has the required specifications to run Final Fantasy XI.(-1). I get this even when attempting to run reg FFXI
 Cerberus.Mrkillface
user: bitchtits
By Cerberus.Mrkillface 2017-04-15 18:46:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Try opening internet explorer and the launching FFXI with it open.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-04-15 19:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Getting same issue here. Using 4.3.0.3 dev, wasn't happening yesterday.

Today I log and after a few mins I crash. Odd :x
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2017-04-15 19:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok I have a crash dump, what do I do with it?
 Asura.Tronian
user: Tronian
By Asura.Tronian 2017-04-15 19:53:14
Link | Quote | Reply

using the 4.3 dev, everytime I logout to change character(mule), it crashes.
[+]
 Fenrir.Caiir
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Caiir 2017-04-15 22:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok I have a crash dump, what do I do with it?

Compress it and upload it somewhere, you can post the link here or (better option) create an issue on GitHub and post it there.
 Sylph.Uuther
user: Uther
By Sylph.Uuther 2017-04-16 01:21:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Got mine to work had to adjust the resolution in ffxi config to match my desktop settings
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-04-16 15:11:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Just to add more data to Tidis' post here are the addons/plugins I use:
Code
		<plugin>Binder</plugin>
		<plugin>ChatMon</plugin>
		<plugin>FFXIDB</plugin>
		<plugin>LightLuggage</plugin>
		<plugin>SSOrganizer</plugin>
		<plugin>Timers</plugin>

<addon>Text</addon>
		<addon>autocontrol</addon>
		<addon>autoinvite</addon>
		<addon>autojoin</addon>
		<addon>cancel</addon>
		<addon>ConsoleBG</addon>
		<addon>Distance</addon>
		<addon>findAll</addon>
		<addon>GearSwap</addon>
		<addon>instaLS</addon>
		<addon>Organizer</addon>
		<addon>PetTP</addon>
		<addon>Reive</addon>
		<addon>shortcuts</addon>
		<addon>SpeedChecker</addon>
		<addon>TimeStamp</addon>
		<addon>TParty</addon>
		<addon>zonetimer</addon>

It may be a coincidence, but I don't seem to crash in Bastok Mines, Windurst Walls and Norg, whereas when I move to Western Adoulin, I literally crash within a couple of mins.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-04-16 15:36:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Nvm what I said before, just crashed in Bastok Mog House seconds after logging in.

Two crashdumps HERE

Both happened in Bastok Mines MH, seconds after logging in, I think before the inventory even finished to completely load.
Hadn't even got a chance to move the character, just to send a tell I think.
Currently playing with Windower Dev 4.3.0.3, executed as Admin, compatibility mode set to Windows XP SP3
By jarlinravenwood 2017-04-16 15:58:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I was having the same issue but was able to determine it was whenever I was sent a tell or party invite so I disabled all addons that modify chat and it worked.

I disabled
Battlemod
Chatmon
ffocolor
Logger

edit: I did some more testing and it is Logger that is causing the crash on my system.
edit2: chatmon crashed my system when i got a party invite.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2017-04-16 16:31:52
Link | Quote | Reply

jarlinravenwood said: »
I was having the same issue but was able to determine it was whenever I was sent a tell or party invite so I disabled all addons that modify chat and it worked.

I disabled
Battlemod
Chatmon
ffocolor
Logger

edit: I did some more testing and it is Logger that is causing the crash on my system.
edit2: chatmon crashed my system when i got a party invite.
You may be on to something, just did chatmon related things to both my characters and I crashed.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-04-16 16:51:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Oooh, might be chatmon indeed. Both times I crashed above I was about to send/receive a tell.
Will try later, thanks for the finding
 Asura.Selindrile
By Asura.Selindrile 2017-04-17 00:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Reasonably sure that's it, not just chatmon either.

windower.play_sound() is crashing me in an addon.

My Crashdump: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ok7p6ll9bkbpycj/pol.exe.7068.dmp?dl=0
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
By Leviathan.Arcon 2017-04-17 04:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

The reported crash should be fixed, all dumps I've reviewed posted here were because of that. Please restart FFXI to get the latest Windower version (assuming you're on the dev branch) and let us know if you experience any issues.

Asura.Sechs said: »
Currently playing with Windower Dev 4.3.0.3, executed as Admin, compatibility mode set to Windows XP SP3

It automatically launches as admin, so you don't need to do that, and why on earth would you run it with XP compatibility mode? That's inviting problems... Hardly anything on XP works right, our Launcher actually has known issues only with XP. Who advised you to do that?
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-04-17 06:10:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Arcon said: »
Who advised you to do that?
I honestly don't remember but I swear someone did!
So I should leave the compatibility field to default?

Tested 4.3.0.4 sending/receiving party invites and tells, everything seems to be working.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2017-04-17 06:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Awesome, thanks for all your hard word Windower team, I don't want to come across as a serial moaner, I really appreciate what you guys do, I can't quite imagine going back to vanilla FFXI.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21