Forum » FFXI » General » 7 hour maintenence
7 hour maintenence
 Bahamut.Agerine
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Agerine
By Bahamut.Agerine 2017-03-27 20:22:11
Link | Quote | Reply

"At the following time, we will be performing server replacement maintenance. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XI will be unavailable."

What is a server replacement maintenance? why does it last 7 hours?
Sorry to all of those who hoped to work on VW or other monthly events tonight.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-03-27 20:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

"Server Replacement"

Taking them at their word, the amount of work to bring a new server up and load all the data from the former server onto it isn't exactly like copy/paste. I'm sure that they've allocated some mix of xxx number of hours for the work, and xxx hours for testing. You can't just go live without testing a new server...again assuming the translation of "server replacement" is accurate.
 Bahamut.Agerine
By Bahamut.Agerine 2017-03-27 20:34:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
"Server Replacement"

Taking them at their word, the amount of work to bring a new server up and load all the data from the former server onto it isn't exactly like copy/paste. I'm sure that they've allocated some mix of xxx number of hours for the work, and xxx hours for testing. You can't just go live without testing a new server...again assuming the translation of "server replacement" is accurate.

Whats what im curious about, what is the new server? not like Bahamut/Odin ect...? I just wanna get down with SE is up to xD.
By clearlyamule 2017-03-27 20:37:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Server as in computer server not what world you log into the game as. As in they are doing a hardware replacement so gunna take some time
By Jadey 2017-03-27 20:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

They finally won enough ebay auctions to source the Pentium IIIs necessary to do a proper hardware refresh

A joyous day
[+]
 Bahamut.Agerine
By Bahamut.Agerine 2017-03-27 20:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »
Server as in computer server not what world you log into the game as. As in they are doing a hardware replacement so gunna take some time

That makes sense. thank you:) GL and have fun to everyone afterwards!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-03-27 20:44:18
Link | Quote | Reply

i dont know how much it would cost them to do this, but slightly surprised they would at this stage of the game. I guess its still making enough for them to off set the cost of replacing the hardware.
By Heimdel 2017-03-27 20:58:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
i dont know how much it would cost them to do this, but slightly surprised they would at this stage of the game. I guess its still making enough for them to off set the cost of replacing the hardware.

As laggy the game has been the current servers might be starting to fail forcing them to. Or they are doing a downgrade..
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Server: Asura
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-03-27 21:00:01
Link | Quote | Reply

eslim said: »
mogdrobe 5 and 6 hardware is being installed !
(just as soon as they spaghetti it enough)

servers will hopefully increase in performance but then return to what it is now if mogdrobe 5 and 6 are allowed (unless won the internet).

I'd buy it. Not even kidding.
[+]
By final566 2017-03-27 21:03:42
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL you guys seem optimistic AF, It probably means they are taking away some of the servers that they rent or shutting them down servers consume usually a lot of $$$$$ so and with dwindling population I can see that this will cause another server merge in the next six month, of course it can be just the opposite and replace to a brand new server which tbh a new gen server just one can hold entirety of this games population easily. Also coming from some one whose work with servers 7 hours probably just means a server is getting discontinued tbh :/. But keep the hope up Adventures.
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2017-03-27 21:06:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Mog Wardrobe 5 & 6 Yes, please!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-03-27 21:10:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's hope that Kojo doesn't spill his beer on this server this time!

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-03-27 21:32:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Alfylicious said: »
That said, I have been experiencing a bit more lag in ffxi the last few months. Hope whatever is going on helps with that.

It'll get worse before it gets better.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2017-03-27 21:37:55
Link | Quote | Reply

ps2 limitations
 Shiva.Siviard
Server: Shiva
user: Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2017-03-27 21:38:32
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIV is in maintenance tonight as well. They are working on moving the NA datacenters from Montreal to somewhere on the Westcoast of USA (as well as release patch 3.56.) The project should last several weeks (I assume in anticipation of stormblood.) It would be quite a coincidence if these maintenances weren't related.

That said, I have been experiencing a bit more lag in ffxi the last few months. Hope whatever is going on helps with that.

If they're moving the NA datacenters to the West Coast, it should be assumed it'll be in the Los Angeles area.

Lets just hope people's connections are more stable after this is completed.
 Asura.Arif
user: Jhan
By Asura.Arif 2017-03-27 21:54:06
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIV is in maintenance tonight as well. They are working on moving the NA datacenters from Montreal to somewhere on the Westcoast of USA (as well as release patch 3.56.) The project should last several weeks (I assume in anticipation of stormblood.) It would be quite a coincidence if these maintenances weren't related.

I thought the FFXI servers were still in Tokyo. Why are we impacted? Because the Mogstation/account servers were shared with the Montreal datacenter? Do you think FFXI is moving to NA?

Post deleted by User.
By nikk 2017-03-27 23:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

3 hours...
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2017-03-27 23:01:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah, it's just 3.56 coming out tonight. XIV Datacentre move for the NA servers aren't expected until mid-May based on this Dev post.

It's just a coincidence that both maintenance are happening on the same day xD
 Asura.Valyrian
By Asura.Valyrian 2017-03-27 23:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I REALLY hope it's not the West coast. Montreal is so much closer to me. Hell, I'd take somewhere in the middle of USA instead! West coast servers in any MMO increase my ping.

Bah!
By Nukakaa 2017-03-27 23:50:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh... bored! Come on maintenance....
By Draylo 2017-03-28 00:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it over yet
By Nukakaa 2017-03-28 00:02:28
Link | Quote | Reply

No.. 3 more hours :( Guess will wait and VW tomorrow .
 Fenrir.Ramzus
Server: Fenrir
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2017-03-28 00:03:01
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah watch out for your pings on that sick 56k bottleneck
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2017-03-28 00:56:04
Link | Quote | Reply

we could always hope and they are getting ready for some new add on or expansion. lol I doubt that will happen.
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
Server: Leviathan
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-03-28 01:00:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Ryanx said: »
we could always hope and they are getting ready for some new add on or expansion. lol I doubt that will happen.

That would be nice with a new I lvl 125 or higher. Finally be able to use the Over flow of JP on jobs that are capped. World dragon Fights multiple at a time each drops their own armor and weapon. New Story to make a Moogle resort where you can go and fish for Excal and other relics....
By Beau 2017-03-28 02:47:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Obviously more mog wardrobes are needed with ps2 support being discontinued. how about more equipsets and macrobooks for us non-windower players? then i can play more jobs
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2017-03-28 03:35:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Beau said: »
us non-windower players?

Found your problem.
[+]