Forum » FFXI » General » Returned play question s
Returned play question s
 Leviathan.Kuryomi
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Kuryomi
By Leviathan.Kuryomi 2017-03-16 10:58:56
Link | Quote | Reply

So I am returned just yesterday I read up on new stuff and know where to begin I also got blm n sch for endgame events but low man with my friends said enjoy melee. I got dark mnk and Sam leveled and geared for when I was did SoA content so not too far behind minus buyable so did I have all that n Gil away when I quit. Now question is aside fro. Blu what melee is good now day? I lean towards dark utility cause scythe weapon skills are God for utility. But I always have loved mnk too but black belt is prolly junk now. Sam is also fun and prolly has highest parse now days
Suggestions?
 Asura.Daleterrence
Server: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2017-03-16 11:40:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kuryomi said: »
So I am returned just yesterday I read up on new stuff and know where to begin I also got blm n sch for endgame events but low man with my friends said enjoy melee. I got dark mnk and Sam leveled and geared for when I was did SoA content so not too far behind minus buyable so did I have all that n Gil away when I quit. Now question is aside fro. Blu what melee is good now day? I lean towards dark utility cause scythe weapon skills are God for utility. But I always have loved mnk too but black belt is prolly junk now. Sam is also fun and prolly has highest parse now days
Suggestions?

Okay.. Firstly..

Secondly, from what I think I understand of this, you're asking what melee jobs are decent now. Nearly all of them apart from MNK are useful for something, but all of them you're going to need an ultimate weapon of some variety to do well on since that's just how the game rolls now. Luckily it's no where near as difficult as it once was to get an ultimate weapon of some type though. (*** even I've got an Amano and I commonly put my underwear on backwards)

SAM is great and can put out some beefy numbers (personal bias).
DRK is great providing you use a Great Sword to take advantage of Resolution. (See WAR below)
WAR is pretty much the same as DRK, both can get a lot of mileage out of Ragnarok, but unlike DRK with Scythe, great axe can still be an option, if not as amazing as Great Sword.
THF is taken for utility more than anything these days.
NIN is.. eh? I haven't seen tons of use for NIN past it being situational at best. Someone can correct me on that mind if they think I'm wrong.
DRG is.. well I haven't even seen a DRG in any actual content since I got back last year, so no comment, if a DRG wants to weight in though, go nuts.

A lot of it comes down to how much you want to learn the mechanics of the job, and the game itself in detail, and your willingness to grind out the gear needed to put out those beefy numbers so people take note of you and are more likely to invite you back.

If you want to take the path of least resistance though, BLU, GEO, PLD and WHM are all pretty high in demand and there never seems to be enough (geared) GEOs and good luck finding a WHM a lot of the time.

Anyone else wants to chime in to horrifically correct me on my wrong-doings because "MNK is the best job in the game you're just a noob", go for it, more information we get out there the better.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Speedyjim
Server: Odin
user: speedyjim
By Odin.Speedyjim 2017-03-16 12:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Daleterrence said: »
Suggestions?

Okay.. Firstly..

Leviathan.Kuryomi
By Leviathan.Kuryomi 2017-03-16 14:22:52
Link | Quote | Reply

That is cool, whats the DMG margins between Sam n dark? I'm on phone lol sry for the mess. I'd imagine Sam is still slot more solo friendly w/o apocalypse.
 Asura.Daleterrence
By Asura.Daleterrence 2017-03-16 15:06:54
Link | Quote | Reply

That is cool, whats the DMG margins between Sam n dark? I'm on phone lol sry for the mess. I'd imagine Sam is still slot more solo friendly w/o apocalypse.

It GREATLY depends on gear, but I'd say SAM might be ahead if you compare both in top-tier ***but don't quote me on that.

DRK is probably more hardy than SAM in general now thanks to DRK's spells being quite useful, but that really doesn't matter all that much because Trust NPCs can tank for you if you're solo.

Also, don't make an Apoc unless you've already started it, make a Ragnarok, you can thank me later.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-03-16 15:11:26
Link | Quote | Reply

'd say SAM might be ahead if you compare both in top-tier ***
Naw, DRK will always pull ahead due to Smite.
 Asura.Daleterrence
By Asura.Daleterrence 2017-03-16 15:15:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

I'd really like to see a parse of the two in comparable gear/buffs since I'm unsure if that's the case, but you're probably right and I'm just cuddled up with personal bias.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-03-16 15:18:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd really like to see a parse of the two in comparable gear/buffs since I'm unsure if that's the case, but you're probably right and I'm just cuddled up with personal bias.
Got to find 2 equally geared characters though. Well, maybe not equally geared, BiS, but even then, that would be hard to find.

Should we turn this into "my job is better than your job" thread we find so entertaining here? If so......need to do a popcorn run.
 Asura.Daleterrence
By Asura.Daleterrence 2017-03-16 15:25:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Got to find 2 equally geared characters though. Well, maybe not equally geared, BiS, but even then, that would be hard to find.

Should we turn this into "my job is better than your job" thread we find so entertaining here? If so......need to do a popcorn run.

I'd love to but I'm probably not experienced enough to hold up a decent *** swinging contest. :(
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2017-03-16 16:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd love to but I'm probably not experienced enough to hold up a decent *** swinging contest. :(
Did anyone say "*** swinging contest"? Can I join?
[+]
user: voiceless
By Asura.Swaggernaught 2017-03-16 16:42:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Suggestions?

Okay.. Firstly..

Secondly, from what I think I understand of this, you're asking what melee jobs are decent now. Nearly all of them apart from MNK are useful for something, but all of them you're going to need an ultimate weapon of some variety to do well on since that's just how the game rolls now. Luckily it's no where near as difficult as it once was to get an ultimate weapon of some type though. (*** even I've got an Amano and I commonly put my underwear on backwards)

SAM is great and can put out some beefy numbers (personal bias).
DRK is great providing you use a Great Sword to take advantage of Resolution. (See WAR below)
WAR is pretty much the same as DRK, both can get a lot of mileage out of Ragnarok, but unlike DRK with Scythe, great axe can still be an option, if not as amazing as Great Sword.
THF is taken for utility more than anything these days.
NIN is.. eh? I haven't seen tons of use for NIN past it being situational at best. Someone can correct me on that mind if they think I'm wrong.
DRG is.. well I haven't even seen a DRG in any actual content since I got back last year, so no comment, if a DRG wants to weight in though, go nuts.

A lot of it comes down to how much you want to learn the mechanics of the job, and the game itself in detail, and your willingness to grind out the gear needed to put out those beefy numbers so people take note of you and are more likely to invite you back.

If you want to take the path of least resistance though, BLU, GEO, PLD and WHM are all pretty high in demand and there never seems to be enough (geared) GEOs and good luck finding a WHM a lot of the time.

Anyone else wants to chime in to horrifically correct me on my wrong-doings because "MNK is the best job in the game you're just a noob", go for it, more information we get out there the better.

ignore this A****** and play the game the way you want to.
 Leviathan.Kuryomi
By Leviathan.Kuryomi 2017-03-16 18:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I like all the jobs cept pup lol that's why it's my only non99
 Asura.Daleterrence
By Asura.Daleterrence 2017-03-16 23:27:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Swaggernaught said: »
ignore this A****** and play the game the way you want to.

Yes. I'm an *** because they asked what jobs were decent and I answered them with a realistic opinion. (they even specifically mentioned parsing in their OP!) Screw me, right?

Sure, you can play whatever the hell you want in two situations;

1) You are playing entirely solo/multi-boxing.

2) You are playing purely with friends okay with you playing whatever you want, and you only play with them.

Otherwise you're going to need to go with what people want in their parties. Bottom line, unless, for example, you have a rep as an amazing MNK that consistently out DD's everyone (good luck with that btw), people are either not going to take you, or they are going to ask you if you have anything else. And DD slots are competitive as ***, because everyone is playing a DD. It's like going to a job interview for an engineering position and telling them you can make a mean beef curry, you have to sell yourself to what people want.

Josiahkf said: »
we could still have a lot of fun pvping! Got any jobs you're confident with?

SAM, WHM both wet paper bags in a strong breeze. :( I'd also probably die a little (a lot) without being able to gear swap.

Asura.Vienner said: »
Did anyone say "*** swinging contest"? Can I join?

Bring your own glow-in-the-dark condom. We're planning lightsabre battles.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kuryomi
By Leviathan.Kuryomi 2017-03-17 06:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol yeah I use to use kparser or so.ething like that when I quit
 Asura.Daleterrence
By Asura.Daleterrence 2017-03-17 06:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol yeah I use to use kparser or so.ething like that when I quit

Yeah Kparser is your best bet (providing you can get it working okay), Scoreboard isn't bad if you just want an overview though, and that requires minimal setup.
 Leviathan.Kuryomi
By Leviathan.Kuryomi 2017-03-17 09:13:38
Link | Quote | Reply

With new macroeconomics system is there a big use for windower now? Do t need spellcast
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2017-03-17 09:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

With new macroeconomics system is there a big use for windower now? Do t need spellcast
Spellcast doesnt exist no longer, its gearswap now.
 Odin.Speedyjim
Server: Odin
user: speedyjim
By Odin.Speedyjim 2017-03-17 09:33:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Gearswap is the new Spellcast. Much better too.