AION - Completely Unbiased Review
 Gilgamesh.Tousou
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: Toufu
By Gilgamesh.Tousou 2009-09-24 11:54:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Avinne said:
Also, after playing FFXI for a million years, some of my friends and I agreed... Aion seems to be a game you can pick up for a few hours, get stuff done and log off to get on with RL... whereas we didn't really feel like that with FFXI.

People who are into the PvP stuff seem to be happy as well... I never got into it other than random duels and whatnot as I wasn't high enough lvl to get to the abyss, but seemed fun :P

This is why I bought Guild Wars... Of course, it also doesn't have a monthly fee, so I can go back and forth freely. ^.^

Waitin' for GW2...

Since I worked last night, I spent the extra money on Aion. I'ma install it to see how my laptop handles it, but probably won't use my trial until I've done what I feel like doing on XI. Either that, or if I get really bored. It's much more fun to play a game with friends than alone.

*The more you know!*
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Server: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-09-24 13:04:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Akeda said:
$50 is a lot for something I might not like.

50 bucks is the going rate for new games....

On a different note: I read the system requirements, and I seem to meet them, if just barely. (P4 3.0 Ghz, 2.5 GB RAM) Would an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card with 256 MB dedicated memory suffice?

Also 20 gigs disk space? What the hell?
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-09-24 13:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Katarzyna said:
Akeda said:

Except you get to play demos usually for single player games. Well Aion has its beta tho, people should have tried it during beta.

And I don't see what's wrong with 20GB, seeing how Final Fantasy XI, which is very old, already takes 9GB.
 Lakshmi.Avinne
Server: Lakshmi
user: Avinne
By Lakshmi.Avinne 2009-09-24 13:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yah... people really can't *** about the cost when there were several closed and an open beta event where you could play it and check it out.

I went to Gamestop, put $5 down and played several of the beta weekends.

So far the only thing that REALLY bugs me about the game is the extremely HIGH amount of people logging in ... the server I'm on has, at times, put me in a queue to log in that has been anywhere from 2+ hours to 30 mins. It's kind of ridiculous at that point...
 Hades.Hiryo
Server: Hades
user: Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-09-24 14:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Zicdeh said:
"Hello Kitty: Island Adventure" as the greatest MMO that has and WILL EVER come out.

^
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-09-24 14:23:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm tempted to try it out, but my laptop would freaking choke even going near this. lol Not really sure I want to deal with another MMO either, but if so, is there any server that the XI community is heading towards exclusively? I think I saw that Veyron and a some of the BG salvage bans were mostly on the same server.

Katarzyna said:
Akeda said:

On a different note: I read the system requirements, and I seem to meet them, if just barely. (P4 3.0 Ghz, 2.5 GB RAM) Would an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card with 256 MB dedicated memory suffice?

Also 20 gigs disk space? What the hell?
From what I read online that card would likely "run" the game, but the general opinion is that it wouldn't run well enough to bother with. A big swing with modern cards are low-price options, though, so you could likely get something loads better for under $100 if you were really interested in trying the game out.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-09-24 16:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I just replaced this graphics card after mine told me to *** off. I really don't feel like replacing it again.

inb4 "lolgraphicscardsarentexpensive" I'm saving for a new car, so *** you.

Oh yea:

Quote:
And I don't see what's wrong with 20GB, seeing how Final Fantasy XI, which is very old, already takes 9GB.

I have a 120GB harddrive. It's not huge. As stated before, I'm saving for a car. While I could just go and buy a new harddrive for cheaper than a new graphics card, a new copy of Windows is not something I'm in the mood to spend money on. And my current harddrive already has FFXI + the expansions, World of Warcraft + expansions (screw you haters, private servers are way fun), The Sims 2 + all expansions (yes...all 17834798275985 of them), Oblivion + the expansions, and The Sims 3.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-09-24 17:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Well anyway your whole computer is outdated, so better not change the GC or the HDD alone anyway, would be a waste. Just save for you car, buy it, and then buy a computer, hype for aion will have lowered, so will the pricetag :]
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-09-24 19:48:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
Just save for you car, buy it, and then build a computer, hype for aion will have lowered, so will the pricetag :]

Fixed that.

Yea, I know my PC is outdated, but I haven't seen any games other than Aion that make me go "WOW!" in the past couple of years, so I just never bothered spending money on a new one/building one/upgrading.

I still want to play it. >.> Maybe I'll pick it up next week and give it a whirl.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-09-24 20:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Buy a computer = build :< Who still buy pre-made *** ?
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-09-24 22:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
Buy a computer = build :< Who still buy pre-made *** ?

My PC is pre-made ***, but that's because my parents bought it for me as a graduation present :<
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-09-25 01:00:13
Link | Quote | Reply

-whistles- http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/937856/ -runs away-

Just sayin! lol
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-09-25 05:41:28
Link | Quote | Reply

His motherboard is certainly a s478 one, and since his graphic card is a 9800Pro, he doesn't have a PCI-e port. Which means cannot use a HD4850 without getting a new motherboard, which imply getting a new CPU too. s478 + PCI-E = lol. (some mobo exists, still that's wasting money).
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-09-25 06:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Uh...yea....what that person said.

Except the "he" part. Cause I'm a she.

I had a difficult time finding an AGP card that wasn't omgfuckingexpensive or wouldn't completely blow out my power supply, so I ended up buying what I already had before...except with more dedicated memory.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-09-25 12:01:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh the elusive AGP port. I have the same problem even, and didn't really even think about it. lol I've had an AGP x700 Pro w/256 for years for my old desktop and haven't even been able to use it since the stock PSU is a proprietary size and can't be swapped out with anything bigger. Can't sell it because it's so old and can't use it. Very sad. lol

Edit: for random lulz: http://www.hivclan.net/stuff/lollin/Agamemnon.htm
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2009-09-25 12:16:43
Link | Quote | Reply

my new PC will have a fat *** Geforce 8800GT i so cant wait also wheres the screenshots of this game?
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-09-30 06:02:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, my boyfriend come over this past weekend and in his hands was a copy of Aion. So needless to say, I tried to see if my PC could handle it. Turns out it can! So I've been playing whenever I can (which isn't much...god damn *** 12 hours shifts...) But I didn't experience any lag except for a bit last night when the server population jumped with all the people coming home from work, much like myself.

My graphic settings are on the low end, but at least I can play! I must say, the game itself is pretty relaxing, and even on low settings I'm blown away at the graphics. I don't have to worry about getting a certain piece of gear, farming, doing this or that event. I'm really enjoying myself.

Yes, it's interface and commands are WoW-esque, but any veteran of the MMO genre knows that the interface in THIS game (or lack thereof) is NOT the norm. But the story line is cool, whereas WoW's didn't capture my attention much.

I play an Asmodian Sorcerer on the Israphel server. Name's Katryna. Say hi.

Oh...and it only required 15 gigs of space, not 20. All I had to do was delete WoW.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-09-30 06:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Katarzyna said:
All I had to do was delete WoW.

NOT THAT!! D:
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-09-30 22:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:
Katarzyna said:
All I had to do was delete WoW.

NOT THAT!! D:

Yes that :p

I only play private servers now, and most of the ones I like to play on seem to disappear after a month or so.
 Cerberus.Rollinwinds
By Cerberus.Rollinwinds 2009-09-30 23:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Goddamnit Kat,

Now I'm gonna have to kill you. I'm elyos.

/sigh

If you get killed by someone named Kensada, Omgwtflolgg, Rotinn, or Zantalo, just remember

It's just business.
 Siren.Facet
Server: Siren
user: Facet
By Siren.Facet 2009-10-01 00:13:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Before I give a bit of a novice's review on his, please understand that this is the only other MMO I've tried besides FFXI.

Current experience with this game is about 6hrs over 2 play sessions with an Asmodian Priest (looking to evolve into Chanter at 10 -- currently about 1/3 of the way into 9) and I gotta say that at first, I was really pissed that I spent full price for this game considering it drew a lot of comparisons to a game my brother plays that's free called "fly for free" or "flyff". The graphics are very nice, but beyond that, the combat seemed incredibly simplistic and it has a really strong cartoony feel -- the first mobs you face are overly cute pig demon farmers (If you're Asmodian, anyway). The initial apparent lack of an AH for starting players really pissed me off, too. Incidentally, I was "outed" as an ffxi vet within moments of logging in for the first time, asking how to set a bazaar, how crafting worked, and where the AH was. I can't tell you how pissed I was to find you actually have to sit there to have a "personal store" active...

The strengths for this game, however, lie in the interface. One thing I love (keep in mind I've never even glanced at WoW, so this is new to me) is the ability to post a link for an item you possess in general chat. From what I can tell so far, items with the same name and core stats can have minor variances (for example, I got one lv 7 leather leg piece that had +32 mp, and another with the same name and core def/eva bonuses, but with +7 acc), and this link you can post allows anyone reading the chat on that channel to just click on it to see the stats on it without lengthy discussion.

Another thing that's totally new to me is the concept of using different channels on the same server to mitigate player traffic and chat spam. I was having difficulty claiming some mobs for a collection quest outside of the 2nd town, and a kindly non-noob was considerate enough to show me how to switch channels to see how congested the areas were. Lo and behold, a couple mouse clicks later, I was the only one standing around, with more sheep than I could handle to wail away on. Treasure disbursement was a bit more in-depth as well, providing several options that are apparently commonplace in WoW, but floored me because I'm so used to the lack of choice on the matter provided by FFXI.

Before this gets too long for anyone to bother reading, if it has not already done so:

The game has a really strong solo feel to it, but without the sense of accomplishment FFXI yields. People are less engaged with HOW to get through battle, which seems to leave a lot more time for e-peens-in-training to shoot their mouths off about stupid ***. There are a few things that seem like an evolution from FFXI in terms of sharing detailed item info, but there are no clear benefits to assisting other players, or even taking the time to assist/interact with others. I was able to play around in a small party for a while, but we didn't actually end up working together to get by things. If anything, it was cumbersome because everything that needed to be done could be accomplished easily alone, and we ended up crossing paths occasionally, but that was it. Another thing was that about 98% of the people who were playing when I was said this game was essentially little more than a graphical upgrade to WoW -- the gameplay, quests, gathering, gear advancement and battle system were all identical. I can't comment on that either way, never having played WoW, but the feel I get from this game is exactly what kept me from WoW in the first place: there won't be any long-term appeal. It'll be fun to jump on from time to time, kill a few mobs, gather some stuff to sell kind of thing, but the lack of an integrated battle system that requires coordination from several players will make this game stale and repetitive by year's end. Wouldn't buy if given the choice again, knowing what I do now.
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
Server: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-10-01 00:57:56
Link | Quote | Reply

To the people who might need a slight PC upgrade on the cheap. newegg.com. Have fun you crazy nerds ^^

Grrr... Edited for url
 Cerberus.Rollinwinds
By Cerberus.Rollinwinds 2009-10-01 08:56:50
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest (imo) you cant really review this game until you hit 30~, or at the very least 25 and enter the abyss. The game literally becomes a whole new game.

Just my 2gil
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-10-01 09:17:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Awww Rollinwinds :( Just wave to me before you kill me :D

Also, another thing I like, is when doing a quest, you click little links in the quest description, and you click a button called "Locate" and it locates it on the map for you! (For WoW or EQ2 vets, it's not like Carbonite where it maps out the path for you, but it places an X in the general area of your objective.)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [42 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Volition
Server: Asura
user: Volition
By Asura.Volition 2009-11-12 12:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh ya I hate this game and I have no idea what I was smoking when I first made this thread.

HEYOOO