Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI on iMac via WINE
FFXI on iMac via WINE
By billnes 2017-03-01 20:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I have an old iMac desktop, running Core2Duo, with 2Gb of RAM. IIRC, it's from late 2008/early 2009.. Anybody have any idea how well FFXI on top of WINE will work on that system? I'm basically a PC person and really don't have enough Unix skills to do anything at the mac command line level with out exact click-by-click instruction.

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
 Asura.Fujilives
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Fujilives
By Asura.Fujilives 2017-03-02 00:50:33
Link | Quote | Reply

On wine it can run, but it will have lots of random bugs and crappy performance (I was able to run the steam version of the game easily as it automatically grabs the required dx8 runtimes for you).

If you can manage to run Bootcamp, it should perform better, but 2gb of ram is fairly low for any computer running a modern OS these days.

To find out which OS versions your mac can support, scroll way down to where it says "iMac" on this link and see if you can find your model ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205016 ).

Keep in mind that some older CPUs are 32bit only. On 2GB of ram, if you keep the OS very clean, you could run 32bit win7 without much for issues via Bootcamp and the game would play just fine.

Unless you are extremely strapped for cash, I wouldn't waste my time. I'd focus on picking up a nice cheap laptop, just about any modern non-atom CPU will run the game wonderfully these days (technically atom will too, but for a gaming machine, I'd recommend something with more oomph)

If you need step-by-step hand-holding, go to youtube and search for "Installing Bootcamp", you'll find a plethora of videos, most likely including one specifically for your system version.
 Asura.Vanyar
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Vanyar 2017-03-02 03:13:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Since Windower wouldn't work in Wine for me, I moved to different solutions as parallels and bootcamp.
By billnes 2017-03-02 21:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Fujilives said: »
On wine it can run, but it will have lots of random bugs and crappy performance (I was able to run the steam version of the game easily as it automatically grabs the required dx8 runtimes for you).

If you can manage to run Bootcamp, it should perform better, but 2gb of ram is fairly low for any computer running a modern OS these days.

To find out which OS versions your mac can support, scroll way down to where it says "iMac" on this link and see if you can find your model ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205016 ).

Keep in mind that some older CPUs are 32bit only. On 2GB of ram, if you keep the OS very clean, you could run 32bit win7 without much for issues via Bootcamp and the game would play just fine.

Unless you are extremely strapped for cash, I wouldn't waste my time. I'd focus on picking up a nice cheap laptop, just about any modern non-atom CPU will run the game wonderfully these days (technically atom will too, but for a gaming machine, I'd recommend something with more oomph)

If you need step-by-step hand-holding, go to youtube and search for "Installing Bootcamp", you'll find a plethora of videos, most likely including one specifically for your system version.

I already had Bootcamp / Windows 7 installed on that machine. With only 2Gb of RAM, the performance wasn't good and the whole point is to get away from Windows PC's anyway. The iMac desktop I'm working with is a hand-me-down from my niece. After just about a week of playing with it and getting a feel for OSX, I decided that if I wasn't playing FFXI I'd dump my PC and go Mac. I like the fact that the Unix-based OSX is basically impervious to viruses written to attack Windows-based systems. There's a Microsoft Registered Refurbisher in my area that I trust. I'm thinking that as soon as my primary FFXI client dies (an Acer PC running the AMD Athlon II x2 215 processor), I'll get a cheap i5 laptop just for FFXI, and invest in a new desktop Mac for my day-to-day use.