Forum » FFXI » General » Master Trials: Unafraid of the Dark
Master Trials: Unafraid of the Dark
 Shiva.Hiep
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Hiepo
By Shiva.Hiep 2017-02-07 23:55:09
Link | Quote | Reply

My group is currently struggling with Shadow Lord. Is there a gimmick that we're missing? DPS seems to be severely slow compared to the other NMs. Not sure if we're getting unlucky with too many invincibles or double swords. Our current setup is SCH BLU NIN BRD COR GEO.
[+]
 Shiva.Zykei
user: Zykei
By Shiva.Zykei 2017-02-08 12:54:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bumping this up .-.
By Verda 2017-02-08 13:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Try to save a bolster for him. Make sure to dia IV the adds too and have geo on the hate list (he should be but pays to make sure). Be quick to change between wilt and fury. He seems to have higher evasion too so make sure hit rate is capped. Try to have your cor maintain strong rolls all fight. He has regen and more regen the more adds are alive so strat is to kill the adds asap. Prebuff like crazy, extra brd and cor before you enter is a good idea. If SL is hardest for you, I know that the JP strat focuses SL first so you could tackle him first when you're strongest. We did Yagudo first because he is pretty dangerous so didn't want to get really far then wipe to unlucky combos.
 Shiva.Zykei
By Shiva.Zykei 2017-02-08 13:48:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the reply,

We've been going at it for a few months, following what JPs were running + we've looked over Mischef's pastebin.

We got Yagudo as our first as well and usually down it before bolster wears off (usually 40secs+ left over). WC after Yagudo is down and I (geo) debuff Shadow Lord with my remaining bolster timer. Bolster is used if we get a reset off complete with a set of fresh SV songs as soon as the other 2 wakes up.

We've been taking Shadow Lord up the stairs so AOEs don't hit the mages (Umbral as well as Doom arc) but the fight is usually very slow (20mins+ if no one dies). Wilt/frailty during DW mode and Fury/frailty during Single hand mode. We try to land slow/elegy when possible but even with focus/crepe it has been an ordeal for me to land anything (not the most HQ MAcc set but the resist rate is god awful). It's really hard to see how we can pace up the fight (JPs were clearing Shadow Lord within 14-15mins from what we see). But you're right, we'll take a look at what our DD's accuracy is sitting at post SV songs.

We've been pretty frustrated at this trial as we've barely made any progress compared to how we've progressed through Black and White.
By Verda 2017-02-08 14:32:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm other than what is probably generic advice I don't know what else to tell you, a lot of it can be luck based there's two mobs that spam invincible and each invincible is 30s added to the fight no matter what. I'd compare the ws dmg and frequency to those in the videos that cleared and if they match up. I have noticed that on SL since the longer he is alive the more adds he makes, which adds to the total hp you have to chew through for a win, that unlucky invincibles or being low dps either one will cause you to timeout pretty easily on him. It's hard to go to town when he's in dual sword mode but he can't invincible in that mode so it's a pretty narrow line you're walking, at least imo. Keeping entrust dex up could help your acc on him, I remember at one point we entrusted 2 buffs just due to RD usage before we used our free WC but I think that was on the Orc.
[+]
By Verda 2017-02-09 09:28:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I won this a 2nd time, this time with Mochi and as NIN, I think I have some new input for you guys as SL took us about 20 mins too. Here is the time of death of each general in our clear:

Tzee Xicu the Manifest: 5:44
Bloodcrown Brradhod: 22:52 (I hate this stupid orc :<)
Za'Dah Adamantking: 35:27
Shadow Lord: 55:01

So for us at least the Orc takes by far the longest of the first three and we had just barely under 20 min kill on the Shadow Lord. The trick to such a short kill on the Yagudo is have the BLU close dark with CDC as often as possible with allies roll on, you can get 60k combined dmg out of it quite often. Also, don't worry about keeping up shadows at all on the BLU the Yagudo clears them constantly anyway. Quadav, keep his buffs off as much as possible it will up damage considerably. Our clear isn't perfect, had 2 deaths on BLU and some support died also.

I'll have a video uploaded later today if it might help, good luck and have fun :D
[+]
 Shiva.Zykei
By Shiva.Zykei 2017-02-09 11:38:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Congratulations!

We don't have much problems with Yagudo or the Quadav usually. Orc is always a crapshoot (Used Invincible like 20times in one of our runs). We're only having trouble reliably taking down the Shadow Lord really - but we'll see tonight.
[+]
 Shiva.Liam
By Shiva.Liam 2017-02-09 18:57:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Verda, Congrats on the Win x2! would you mind sharing what katana you used offhand for this fight?