What's The Noobiest Thing You Ever Did?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » What's the noobiest thing you ever did?
What's the noobiest thing you ever did?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-02-03 12:47:29
Link | Quote | Reply

At any point in your playtime, whether you were playing for 1 week or 5 years?

I came from Phantasy Star Universe (not PSO, never played that.) PSU was a terrible MMO. A friend in that told me I should come try FFXI. He described parties and distinctly used the phrases "tank" and "roll into camp". It was level 10 before I realized there wasn't going to be any tanks.

In PSU, You could and should dodge enemy attacks (there were no tanks and no powerful healers) so I definitely tried dodging here.

"Hahaha, Little Rabbit. I've moved behind you and foiled your attacks!". I also nearly quit over the idea that I couldn't do anything to make my monk swing faster (A stands for Attack, right?).

---

Anyway, I was definitely the level 25, 35, 50, casting DRK. I'd had no experience in real party play from any other game but I thought I was doing so much for utility. Yeah, sure, sleeping links was cool but I was doing Bio, absorbs when I got them, poison. If someone died on the way to camp somewhere, I was the hero with Tractor (if no BLM), but that was actually fine.

At level 50~, I met my first decentish player and dude helped me a lot just in a few hours. He even loaned me a PCC (5m~ back then).
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2017-02-03 13:01:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I used my one time item restore on a Patriarch Protector's Arrow.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2017-02-03 13:04:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »

I used mine for a Bibiki Seashell

Also I got aggro from Guivre and fleed to the zone and killed countless parties at the time :/

Many LOLDRGs were had.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2017-02-03 13:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

In a Dynamis Xarc run during the 75 era, we were manaburning the Time extension that's up on platform. The one kinda in the middle of the zone.

Weeeell. I was standing a bit too far back(being on PLD and having little to do with this part of the run) and a statue wandered up behind me and agro'd.... And that thing popped and linked a veritable Horde of mobs. I died in about 2 seconds, caught unaware and too late to sentinel, and the wave flowed on.

A virtual tsunami of mobs flowed down onto the alliances wreaking havoc. Demons and Eyes tearing around murdering everyone. It was a glorious wipe.

Ahh, old dynamis. So vicious and unforgiving.

I'm sure that's not the noobest thing I've ever done, but it was a memorable one.
Valefor.Omnys said: »
"Hahaha, Little Rabbit. I've moved behind you and foiled your attacks!".
Does anyone not try that early on in the game? The noobs are the ones who keep doing it without realizing it's not helping.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-03 13:15:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I installed this game.
[+]
By Krayt 2017-02-03 16:29:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Used my Master Ball on a Psyduck
By Slurm818 2017-02-04 12:32:25
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI was my first MMO and I almost quit because all the people I saw in Bastok would ignore me...it was only later that I would learn the difference between NPCs and players /:

So yeah, I would say it's pretty noobish to run after NPCs asking them questions in /say
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2017-02-04 12:43:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Managed a classic last night.. full of head cold so not completely noobish. Been meaning to do "Minnow Wrangler" RoE Objective (fish 1 gil) for a while and got around to it last night, so I looked it up on BGwiki and it told me to go to Windurst Waters ..

.. so I get there and starts fishing. My skill's on zero, and I been playing FFXV a lot (where I'm a wizard with the rod and caught devil/liege first time) so I kept breaking my line. Found out that yeah .. if you have a bad feeling, you cancel out and try again instead of catching. Forgot about that so wasted a few Minnows so no biggie. After about an hour of consistently fishing for this 1 gil .. boom! But wait .. why's my objective not complete?

Turns out I'd cancelled it a couple months ago to make room for other objectives and forgot to enable it again. Wasted another half an hour of my life trying to get that damn 1 gil!
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2017-02-04 12:57:41
Link | Quote | Reply

In XIV; leveled DRK.

I also don't read tooltips.
[+]
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2017-02-04 13:06:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
I used mine on Tefnut Wand...

2 weeks later it became obsolete as an item and i replaced it...
[+]
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2017-02-04 13:19:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I farmed for and decked out a really good dark element + set around level 30-40. I thought it would help drain, since i heard it was the best blm spell.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-02-04 18:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I still have never used item restore.
[+]
 Asura.Ramsy
user: Ramsy
By Asura.Ramsy 2017-02-04 18:34:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Casting noctohelix on albumen instead of voidstorm during a reset.
[+]
 Asura.Taberif
user: Taberif
By Asura.Taberif 2017-02-04 19:16:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ramsy said: »
Casting noctohelix on albumen instead of voidstorm during a reset.
"Surely he will cancel the cast..."
"Ramsy noo-nooooo RAMSY NOOOOO"
hahaha
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-02-04 20:00:22
Link | Quote | Reply

The noobiest thing I did happened like a month ago in Omen.
I probably did worse things when I was a new player but this is the worst I can remember.

I joined this Omen PUG. We get to Thinker and instead of using a RR scroll I use an Instant Warp scroll.
Not realizing it until I see the screen going black, and the other people going crazy at me.

I apologized in /tell with everyone, but of course they all thought I just ran away because I thought they wouldn't have managed to kill Thinker (which is true, I doubt we would've managed, but still I would never warp just because of that >.>)
Felt very awful for the rest of the night.

That akward feeling when you know you *** things up for you and the rest of alliance. Can't remember when, but I know I experienced that feelings many other times throughout these 14+ years of FFXI lol
[+]
 Siren.Bruno
Server: Siren
user: BruHouse
By Siren.Bruno 2017-02-04 20:10:09
Link | Quote | Reply

was getting legit pissed cuz I had no idea how to progress in this rank mission. called a GM and he told me "There is a previous step you have not yet completed" but couldn't outright tell me. found out later I never accepted the mission from the Gate Guard.
[+]
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2017-02-04 20:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

i once traded a dynamis lantern to the goblin archaeologist pop.
[+]
 Leviathan.Louisoix
Server: Leviathan
user: Louisoix
By Leviathan.Louisoix 2017-02-04 20:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

When i was a Warrior leveling in the dunes with no subjob back in the day. I let my party know that i just unlocked Berserk and if they needed it to let me know. :D
[+]
 Bahamut.Tychefm
Server: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2017-02-04 20:46:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Not the very noobiest but very recent:

Let my Vorseal expire and didn't think about it. Tried to pop Warder of Love for 2.5 hrs after with 1/100 chances.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-02-04 20:59:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I was one of those people back in '04-'05 who had those ridiculous party chat sayings to go along with macros.... I didn't overuse them, but I still feel pretty embarrassed for having any in the first place.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-02-04 21:07:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I retried 14 after launch.

Hit 50 (or was it 60?) and queued for an instance. Entered and, since I'm the tank, let the party know that it was my first time in Amdapor Keep. 2 of 4 left without a word.

Kinda kidding, they're the noobs for not even trying.

I let the next three groups know as well. The last one was the one to actually try and, gasp, succeed.

Recently in XI, I put together a Garuda and asked my friend to SCH.

We enter, I watch him cast indi-refresh and geo-haste. All the mages hasted themselves. I'm watching bubble-boy, looking at Garuda, him, her, him, her.

Took me a solid 30 seconds.

I once tanked a yakshi-farm as PLD/BLU with no spells set. Didn't have them for the first kill and didn't wanna pause to set them.
 Leviathan.Andret
Server: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2017-02-04 21:23:56
Link | Quote | Reply

It took me 13 levels of Monk to realized that I could equip a weapon on my hands.... In my defense, it sort of worked without a weapon for quite a while.
[+]
By protectorchrono 2017-02-04 21:35:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Krayt said: »
Used my Master Ball on a Psyduck
Tch...used my Master Ball on a Snorlax in my last Crystal playthrough. Totally facepalmed. >_>;
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2017-02-04 21:43:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Noobiest thing ever? I guess maybe... skilling up Great Axe and Sword as I leveled WAR. WAR was my first 75, and I lost track of how many parties kicked me out when I put them on during EXP in the 60s. I mean, they were never behind and I had Vorpal/Raging Rush, but people realllllly hated me for the slight slow down.

I was young and not very inclined to see it from others' point of view though, so I kept doing it, and when I hit 72 I got Steel Cyclone and Decimation with the help of a friend, 74 I got Savage Blade. It was good for me later in life though, perhaps not so noobly. I'm sure there's other things I did. I mean, I also tried to dodge TP moves and things when I was just starting out, but my first friend quickly got me to cut that out.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-02-04 21:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I was one of those people back in '04-'05 who had those ridiculous party chat sayings to go along with macros.... I didn't overuse them, but I still feel pretty embarrassed for having any in the first place.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2017-02-04 23:08:32
Link | Quote | Reply

(Ravael) This is my {Last Resort}
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-02-04 23:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
The noobiest thing I did happened like a month ago in Omen.
I probably did worse things when I was a new player but this is the worst I can remember.

I joined this Omen PUG. We get to Thinker and instead of using a RR scroll I use an Instant Warp scroll.
Not realizing it until I see the screen going black, and the other people going crazy at me.

I apologized in /tell with everyone, but of course they all thought I just ran away because I thought they wouldn't have managed to kill Thinker (which is true, I doubt we would've managed, but still I would never warp just because of that >.>)
Felt very awful for the rest of the night.

That akward feeling when you know you *** things up for you and the rest of alliance. Can't remember when, but I know I experienced that feelings many other times throughout these 14+ years of FFXI lol

This was my Omen group. I don't know if you had the item macroed or you used an item, but the entire time I was looking like .....is he gonna cancel that?

OH, and we lost.

The End. :)
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2017-02-04 23:14:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I joined this game when I was twelve or so, and I was really excitable in general, so I was constantly talking in LS chat about stupid ***, and in hindsight, I think I was the reason some people left the LS :(
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-02-04 23:22:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »

(Ravael) This is my {Last Resort}

(-.(-.(-.-).-).-) SHADOW CLONE JUTSU
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-02-04 23:24:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Instant Warp scroll

Wait..

Warp ring mannnn lol