Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » returning player some questions
returning player some questions
By starfish 2017-01-31 07:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

hi all, just returned a few weeks ago, with a new char made, so far i got war and geo 99.

looking at the end game, i noticed there is several layers of progression, for a mele warrior i don't have the accuracy to be useful ( need 1200 todo anything useful ), when i look at basic gear i need to get, the starting point that would make sense is Escha - Zi'Tah T1 Bosses, but i can't seem to be able to solo them with trusts, i got a friend to help for a few hours, and managed to get only 1 useful piece to add a little accuracy, i augmented it. but really the road to get 1200 accuracy seems very very far fetched. i have barley 1000 accuracy now with sushi on my warrior.

I can't seem to get into any parties, either on my geo or warrior, at this point to do anything. even for geo they need veterans in asura, i'm wondering what are my options.

is there any solo friendly job that may let me clear some useful NMs on my own, i was thinking BST, or even Red mage. red mage having decent damage and some decent magic defence. run fencer and PLD seems very gear specific with -DT or ages which i am not sure if i can afford. any recommendations on a solo job that is easy to get into, so i can gear myself up a little?
 Asura.Evildemon
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Evildemon 2017-01-31 08:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd stick to geo get 900 skill and do ambuscade as a starting point for acc gear for war. as you build up and get into a solid group they can help with ru'aun and reisen gear.
[+]
By starfish 2017-01-31 09:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

atm i got 798 geo skill. is the difference so huge from 800 to 900?
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-01-31 09:51:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Look at this page for great starter weapons. https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Oboro in your case first and second to last. There's no point to augmenting Dunna really but you definitely want to augment that axe.

You'll eventually get better gear and vorseals to support other weapons but this is great to fall back on when you need acc more than anything which will happen early in your gear climb.

Noone expects a newbie geo to just have 900 skill (acquire as much as you can, contributing as much as you can!) but I wouldn't go out of my way to tell them it's not capped. Luckily geo JSE is reasonable to acquire and decent, it's a start.

You need to read all you can about Ambuscade.

Never sit on 99k sparks as 1 spark = 10~ gil (Acheron shield) and accolades can be converted to sparks (doing a lower Unity NM/UNM
By Kodaijin 2017-01-31 10:10:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I will help you out Star... send me a tell in game.
[+]
By starfish 2017-01-31 11:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

ty for advice guys, and kodajiin thanks for your offer i will consider it, but atm i am not looking for a specific NM to kill, the ones i tried were the ones with cheap pops ( holy swords ), and i think the good stuff is locked behind expensive pop items ( i.e. drops from delve final bosses ) .

i think , i should work to improve my geo and warrior and look for some end game link shell that does activities.
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-01-31 13:17:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know the guy, but I'd take help when it's being offered.

End game linkshells, the decent ones, have already seen a revolving door of 'super committed' players that get bored and quit. You may have trouble getting help to get into starter gear and if you're not pulling your own weight, they probably don't have reason to bring you.

In low gear, no job is much of a soloer anymore (BST maybe, because there's always the second SP ability--but BST is limited to melee-range now) and to be frank, most of the Zitah gear is skippable, especially for now. Sure you can go back and get gear like the aquaveil hood, the refresh rawhide, the divine/dark magic plate but almost (maybe all of) everything in low tier zitah is situational at best, excluding weapons (nibiru blade has a long life in offhand).

Some 'easy' NMs are very difficult, for a newbie, to solo like Vidala: If you can't crush him, it needs someone to cast wind magic on it ortherwise he can level up to such a point that he'd crush the best-geared turtled tank. Not to mention that Vidala opens by casting Break on the popper so you either want Mirror's Tonic to negate it or someone there with Stona.

Soloing now usually means trusts and it's basically a race to kill it before it kills your tank trust who does stupid things like uses Berserk (tank trusts also have no innate -DT gear), or before your healer trust gets silenced (they have pretty good resistance to silence.

Kodajin looks decently geared, your geo (vex/frailty probably) and his WAR/BST could probably rip up lower tier content. I don't know what your server is like but Dunna GEOs are usually welcome in Ambuscade, which is something you want to get into asap.

When you're not doing anything to improve you gear, finishing Rhapsodies of Vana'diel should be your #1 Priority, if you haven't.
[+]
By BlaTheTaru 2017-01-31 13:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
I don't know the guy, but I'd take help when it's being offered.
 Asura.Madotsukii
Server: Asura
user: Madotsuki
By Asura.Madotsukii 2017-01-31 13:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

As someone who returned a few months ago, I definitely can second recommending Ambuscade. The custom-augmentable job specific capes and the high accuracy gear you can get from it are extremely helpful as you branch out into other content. Volume 2 is pretty simple to do with a few folk and GEO definitely can help speed it up, even without 900 skill. People are always looking for more hallmarks/gallantry so I'm sure if you shouted for it you could get some willing DD's to come smack that flan.
By Zyla 2017-02-13 03:32:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi, Zyla of Ragnarok server, I'm also considering coming back to the game and have a few questions. First off is the best reliable means of making gil still dynamis and salvage v2? And 2nd is how viable are my main jobs these days: blu, rng? I had started gearing other jobs before I left but the ridiculously high acc requirements for endgame at the time frustrated me into quitting. I'd say my gear was around early vagary level. Thnx in advance.
[+]
 Cerberus.Clackk
Server: Cerberus
user: cocl
By Cerberus.Clackk 2017-02-13 04:15:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Salvage is a decent gil maker but if you're talking reliability, getting sparks while gain exp is active is your best bet. You can easily earn 2-3mil or maybe more depending on how efficient you are during gain exp by just converting sparks into Acheron Shields.

As for the viability of your jobs, BLU is still brought along for a ton of things. They recently "adjusted" mob evasion to a point where the requirement is no longer outrageous, but still requires a high level of accuracy depending on what you plan on doing. You have to make sure you have the proper spells and some entry level 119 gear. It is relatively easy to gear with a lot of the stuff you can probably solo.

I have not seen RNG be useful aside from niche things and I don't have the job leveled to 99 so I can't help you there.
By Zyla 2017-02-13 05:39:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I imagine cor is still fairly useful? I had started gearing it for sinister reign before I left but didn't meet the acc requirements yet, think I had around 950 acc unbuffed at the time. I also have most other jobs at 99, but mostly naked or shared gear and will basically have to spend a lot of time getting job points for any of them.
By Mangosnickz 2017-02-13 07:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Shame you're on Bahamut, just returned to Asura myself and in the same boat :)
By Zyla 2017-02-20 23:15:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Had another question after having come back to xi. Is guildwork premium still a thing? I was thinking I'd like some of the features like shouts and stuff if it's still viable.