users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » pc help Front panel power wires
pc help Front panel power wires
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-01-29 17:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I got this case off someone else. Not sure if it came this way or was messed with.

This is the front of the case. It has the power and reset buttons on the left and right of the header.

But on the inside the wires are not connecting to them. (Im assuming they are the right wires at least. The other end says 'power sw' and 'reset sw')

These are the wires i have. But i have no idea how to connect them to the power switches on the header in the case.

The green/white wire (reset) has two rubber tipped ends.
The blue/white (power) has one rubber tipped end with a single metal stand inside and one metal wire.

close up of the power button inside. One rubber tipped and on metal stick.

close up of the reset button inside.

So how do i connect these wire back to the header? The green/white reset i guessed that i could just stick em in and hope they are the right order. But the blue/white power one in not sure about. I cant wrap the white wire around the metal stick thing. Its to small and not enough room. The wire si also fairly frail, made up of several thinner wires. And nothing would hold it in if i tried putting it in the rubber tip. Either way it would fall out the moment i moved it... and a working power button is kinda useful these days i hear.

So does anyone know how im supposed to connect these? Every search i do simply gives me results for connecting the pins to the motherboard.
By Jetackuu 2017-01-29 18:38:32
Link | Quote | Reply

It looks like the moron who sold you the case broke the ends of those off the respective switches. How good are you with a soldering iron?

If I see the picture right the switches are to the left and right of the pcb there and it just handles the usb/audio/esata ports. The wires you have (again, if I see it correctly) should go on each side of the respective switches, the "rubber tipped" ones may have tabs to go over if they weren't broken, the bare wire may have to get creative with that side. Worse comes to worse I'd focus on getting the power switch working on a switch, reset is nice to have but not essential, and it doesn't really matter which switch or wires you use, as long as you have the mobo header with good wires going to a good switch.
By Jetackuu 2017-01-29 18:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Zoomed in, yeah I can see part of the wire on the righthand side of that picture still attached to the damn switch. Think I can see the tab for the other one as well. If the tabs are still good on both switches you can easily do this and without soldering (unless that part of a wire is soldered on that switch, you'll have to get that off).

If the 4 tabs are still good and the wires aren't, if there's enough wire you can trim the edges off and strip the ends of the wires, get new connectors, crimp them on and just slide them over the tabs and done.

If the tabs aren't there you may have to break down and get a good switch and just connect the wires to it (to the power switch header, wouldn't be as smooth but it would function.

Know anyone who does automotive wiring? They should be able to give a hand.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-01-29 19:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

the little rubber tab thing came off the power switch. And i got a new close up.

Wires

These should be a little bit more clear then the last.
By Jetackuu 2017-01-29 19:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The rubber is moot, it's literally just an insulator. The metallic tabs and the wires connecting them are what is important. So that switch looks like the reset, you'll probably have to use it as the power. Looks like you have both posts there on the reset, just a matter of reconnecting the wires, which you could either do manually with solder, or crimp ends on them and slide them over, but they do look a little odd, is that plastic on the metal still?
By Jetackuu 2017-01-29 19:09:40
Link | Quote | Reply

In reality it looks like the switches may be intact, so it's a matter of reconnecting the wires, are the current ones long enough to trim some and still reach the posts? It would be best if you took it to somebody who has messed with wiring, it's a simple fix for those with the tools.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-01-29 19:15:34
Link | Quote | Reply

well one of the metallic tabs on the big button just ripped off ><. I still have the two tabs on the little button tho.
Which plastic you talking about?
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-01-29 19:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
It would be best if you took it to somebody who has messed with wiring, it's a simple fix for those with the tools.

sadly, i dont know anyone in this whole state..
By Jetackuu 2017-01-29 19:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Well that big switch is useless now. Looked like there was something still on the tabs, like a semi clear plastic or something off white, but it could just be the lighting.

Either way you'll have to get your wires in a suitable state to reconnect to the posts.
By Jetackuu 2017-01-29 19:18:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Have any local electronics repair shops? Can call and get a quote for connecting wires back to a switch, I wouldn't spend more than $10 though since the case doesn't look too fancy, could probably get a replacement mid tower case of similar quality for under $60.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-01-29 19:24:02
Link | Quote | Reply

there probably is a shop somewhere. But none that i already know of. Im kinda in the middle of nowhere now.

It wasnt plastic at that tab, it was a single metal strand form the wire that was left attached around the tab.

i tried loosly connecting the blue/white to the small button using that rubber insulator to hold it in place. No clue if it might work or not. But short of finding that soddering gun of mine... some where.. and hoping i dont screw that up too.. this will have to do. Ill see if that works once everything else is connected up. Doubting, but heres hoping.
By Jetackuu 2017-01-29 19:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean you can technically always just short the jumpers at the motherboard to test to see if it cuts on. But if you're not comfortable doing that I can understand.

If it's connecting and it's on the power jumpers then it should work.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-01-29 20:34:02
Link | Quote | Reply

well, its a partial success i think. After i got everything connected it wouldnt turn on. I took off the blue/white insulators and straightened out the wires in there, then put it all back together and it turned on. So if it all works, i imagine it could be quite touchy.

One downside for sure tho; for everything it did come with, the one thing it appears to be missing is a connector to the monitor. So it looks like i might have to use the one for this desk top to try and set it up. The video card does have an hdmi slot. Not sure it that would work to hook it up to a tv monitor or such. Incidentally, i got a tv monitor a few months back specifically the size of a comp monitor and with an hdmi hook up. Well see i guess.

I do have one other question for the moment. This case has two fans that connect directly to the motherboards. And it has two fans (on top of case and in front below drives) that connect directly to the psu. Which i found odd in itself.

But the fan has two connection pieces. The psu line has 2 connection pieces. But only one fan connector fits into the psu line. The second one is the exact same size as the psu line as thus doesnt fit in.

When i turned it on the fan was spinning. So why does the fan have two connections pieces? And why doesnt the second one fit? Is it to hook up to a second fan if you had one? (not that one would fit in this case)
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-01-29 21:38:51
Link | Quote | Reply

in addition to the question, anyone know what this is? It was in the box of stuff i got, but i dont think iv ever seen one of these before.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2017-01-29 22:00:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
in addition to the question, anyone know what this is? It was in the box of stuff i got, but i dont think iv ever seen one of these before.
That's for connecting gpu's together to run in crossfire.

[+]
By Jetackuu 2017-01-29 22:26:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
When i turned it on the fan was spinning. So why does the fan have two connections pieces? And why doesnt the second one fit? Is it to hook up to a second fan if you had one? (not that one would fit in this case)

Basically, or a drive. The fan takes such little power they have a connector so the fan doesn't take up the entire cable.

But yeah, at some point you may want to stabilize the switch connection, or invest in a new case.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-01-29 22:53:25
Link | Quote | Reply

thank you all for the help! working on trying to get everything put in the new(ish) comp.

I find it interesting jetackuu that right after you said in a different thread that you think id do better with windows 7 64-bit, i got this whole thing and it came with exactly that.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-04 14:53:40
Link | Quote | Reply

is this a normal start up for win7? Its quite different from what im accustomed to. Just wanted to check. (PC)

can skip the first 15 sec. Took a few to show up.
YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bismarck.Phaded
Server: Bismarck
user: Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2017-02-04 16:07:01
Link | Quote | Reply

From POST to Win7, yes that's normal. POST itself though shouldn't take that long.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-04 17:17:14
Link | Quote | Reply

i pressed the button on the case to turn the machine on only a second after starting the video. So it took that whole time too.
By Jetackuu 2017-02-04 18:05:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Couple questions:

Do you have quick boot enabled? (Write down what key it is to enter your bios and keep it in a safe place).

Also are you booting off a ssd?
 Bismarck.Phaded
Server: Bismarck
user: Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2017-02-04 18:32:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like a WD Green drive on SATA2 port so going with no SSD.

Try to disable Extended Memory test in BIOS.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-04 18:41:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Couple questions:

Do you have quick boot enabled? (Write down what key it is to enter your bios and keep it in a safe place).

Also are you booting off a ssd?

Not that im aware of for quick boot. Just been trying to get the new comp up to date with everything else. I havnt messed with anything like that.

And no ssd. It only came with a hdd
By Jetackuu 2017-02-04 18:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I had skipped over that screen :D

Another question: Did you do a fresh install or just what was already on it?

A good SSD will be a good investment down the road, imo.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-04 19:13:00
Link | Quote | Reply

well its loading faster now.. altho i didnt do anything mentioned. Only thing i really did since taking that video was run a defrag. Granted, its the first one since installing OS and all the files i transferred over. But i just went to restart comp and the montherboard screen is now gone in a second or two. Reducing the time from pressing the on button to seeing the desktop to 1min.

Looking in bios. quick boot was actually already enabled. I also found an option to disable that first 'splash gate' screen. But i dont see anything about an extended memory test.

But its been reduced to about a 50-55sec from button to desktop. And no annoying splash page. Not even sure why that is there.

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-04 19:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Another question: Did you do a fresh install or just what was already on it?

fresh. there was nothing on the hdd. Guessing it rly was new or never used.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2017-02-05 14:24:10
Link | Quote | Reply

one.. im hoping last, but sure it will never be.. question.

The new system seems to go into an automatic sleep mode after no human input. Even if its running something like a virus scan.
I tested it last night to see if it was still doing anything in that mode at all. I started a virus scan before laying down for bed. And i removed the keyboard/mouse to make sure no accidental input occurred. After about 30min it went into that system sleep mode. About 16~ hours later i turned it back on and was still in the middle of the scan. And i no it doesnt take that long. So it must have been a full system sleep mode.

Is there any way to stop this? I dont mind it going into sleep mode if nothing is going on. But if i have something running like a scan or possibly ffxi (havnt tried yet), then i dont want it shutting down after 30m.
By Jetackuu 2017-02-06 09:06:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd just change your power settings to "high performance" and disable sleep, but that's me.