which Aeonic?
First Page 2
 Bismarck.Danz
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2017-01-25 22:36:03
Link | Quote | Reply

So. I'm thinking of getting my first Aeonic weapon, the question is which? the jobs i play are,
1. BLU
2. BST
3. BLM
4. THF (farming/TH+)
5. RNG (have 119 anni)

which of these jobs is an Aeonic best suited for? i would assume BLU considering it would be doing both skill-chains and magic bursts?
also. other than the "ultimate skill-chain/burst" what is special about them?
 Asura.Evildemon
Server: Asura
By Asura.Evildemon 2017-01-25 22:40:57
Link | Quote | Reply

of those jobs i'd recomend Blu and then Rng or vice versa. but that's just what I would do if I was debating on that group. Ironicallly i'm doing Sequence first since it is cross-useful between blu and pld. I haven't fully decided my 2nd choice if I ever get there.
[+]
 Fenrir.Acey
Server: Fenrir
user: abyssal
By Fenrir.Acey 2017-01-25 22:41:01
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread was bound to be made sometime. Reminds me of my which relic thread so much trollimg
By Verda 2017-01-25 23:01:54
Link | Quote | Reply

THF and RNG ones are both good, I don't play BLU but told it's good. I haven't talked to any BST that take DDing that seriously so I can't say, BLM is lockstyle. If you have Anni I'd say do the THF one first. You'll likely make more than one anyway.
[+]
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2017-01-25 23:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Based on your list. I say BLU or RNG but you say you have 119 Anni already and it seems no REMA for BLU... If you decided that you wanted to be more then a TH THF well then thats also a good option. BLM is pretty much lock style only.
 Bismarck.Phaded
user: Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2017-01-25 23:24:10
Link | Quote | Reply

BLM weapon is good for Myrkr when using Death based strats if have the COR buffs to support it.

Personally I'd do THF or RNG.
By Rife 2017-01-26 02:40:01
Link | Quote | Reply

blu
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2017-01-26 05:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

You'd probably see the biggest DPS increase with Fomalhaut... Last Stand is already a strong WS and giving it the Light property is tremendous. The bullets are almost worth it on their own (if you play CoR too).

Aeneas and Sequence are great for tp-bonus, but holding 2-3k TP for Exenterator/Requiescat is downright depressing.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-26 06:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Why would someone hold TP on Sequence? You don't bother with the AM effect, just use like normal weapon. Req is a bad dps ws and gets weak TP scaling, you end up losing DPS trying to screw with AM effect.
[+]
 Shiva.Arislan
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2017-01-26 06:22:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at.

Sequence and Aeneas would be mostly for the TP-bonus during PT play, whereas Fomalhaut you'll likely be able to take full advantage of the aftermath.
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2017-01-26 07:26:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Aeonic Sword is really nice for BLU as you can solo whole Radiance / Umbra :D
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-01-26 07:28:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fomalhaut because it's a dragon.

Too sexy.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Konvict
Server: Lakshmi
user: Smasher
By Lakshmi.Konvict 2017-01-26 07:50:22
Link | Quote | Reply

1. Horn 2. GS 3. Gun 4. Sword 5. Dagger #nothingelsematters
By geigei 2017-01-26 08:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Konvict said: »
1. Horn 2. GS 3. Gun 4. Sword 5. Dagger #nothingelsematters

Such a good reply...not.
[+]
 Asura.Azagarth
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2017-01-26 09:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

having a sequence myself, id say go for GUN.... its way better overall for what it does to your dps and its for 2 jobs. Sword just felt kind of lackluster for me, ya a dps boost, but nothing that changed my game. If I could trade my sword for the gun I would without hesitation.
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-01-26 09:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry to say but SE has not done right by the player base with regards to Aeonics full potential. Some are useful (even very useful) but others are lockstyle pieces. I'm actually making the shield next for the sole purpose of nothing but lockstyle.

I mean, really?

SE needs to spend a little bit of time that they take to create and construct our monthly campaigns and events and hash out some sort of system to make Aeonics far more useful than they are. Khatvanga in my opinion should have been SMN's best Magic BP staff if only it was given the proper stats for it.

Besides being an extremely strong melee club, what else am I supposed to do with this blueberry lollipop club?

How about an augment system for Aeonics? How about an afterglow quest to allow them to have an aura?
 Bismarck.Danz
user: danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2017-01-26 11:48:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Avallon said: »
I'm sorry to say but SE has not done right by the player base with regards to Aeonics full potential. Some are useful (even very useful) but others are lockstyle pieces. I'm actually making the shield next for the sole purpose of nothing but lockstyle.

I mean, really?

SE needs to spend a little bit of time that they take to create and construct our monthly campaigns and events and hash out some sort of system to make Aeonics far more useful than they are. Khatvanga in my opinion should have been SMN's best Magic BP staff if only it was given the proper stats for it.

Besides being an extremely strong melee club, what else am I supposed to do with this blueberry lollipop club?

How about an augment system for Aeonics? How about an afterglow quest to allow them to have an aura?

i agree. it does seem the "special ability" on these seem a bit lacking compared to mythics/relics/empys, they all have a cool "trick" with the aftermath, but just being able to do a higher teir skillchain for slightly more damage, i can't exactly say how good that is because i have never seen one personally. with filters an all. but we will see. i will make sword as my first and see how that goes.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2017-01-26 11:59:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes I got enough beads to start one .. so I was thinking about the scythe, but I already got Liberator so no point in that. I thought about the dagger for THF, and fomalhaut for COR. I know Khatvanga sucks for SCH so not going to bother with that. I'm still using Taming Sari's on THF and Vanir Gun (both weapons in use for a long time!) so I'm thinking Fomalhaut. Is that what others would do?
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-01-26 12:02:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Some of the weapons are very good, and useful. There have been plenty of times my DD partner d/c'd in the middle of an Apex fight leaving just me and a half-dead Crab. Being able to self skillchain Umbra to finish it off came in VERY handy. This has happened multiple times.

Other weapons like Sequence, Trishula, etc can do similar things. Heck, a DRG with Trishula doesn't even need anyone else to multi-SC an Apex mob to death.
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-01-26 12:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Yes I got enough beads to start one .. so I was thinking about the scythe, but I already got Liberator so no point in that. I thought about the dagger for THF, and fomalhaut for COR. I know Khatvanga sucks for SCH so not going to bother with that. I'm still using Taming Sari's on THF and Vanir Gun (both weapons in use for a long time!) so I'm thinking Fomalhaut. Is that what others would do?

I got some rather depressing POL messages from friends on Cerb the other day. As it was almost a year ago, it still seems only the Japanese are making Aeonics on that server. Have you guys turned things around and made a solid group to get the clears done?

Either way I wish you luck in the journey.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2017-01-26 12:08:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Avallon said: »
Cerberus.Kylos said: »

I got some rather depressing POL messages from friends on Cerb the other day. As it was almost a year ago, it still seems only the Japanese are making Aeonics on that server. Have you guys turned things around and made a solid group to get the clears done?

Either way I wish you luck in the journey.

No .. it's so sad I only just got done with T1 Reisenjima NMs (thanks to Q, Rusch and Kalaviled for spending a few hours farming for my sake alone) for equipment. I only got my 50k beads because of Domain Invasion, and I did start a new endgame LS.. but finding the talent is a difficult task. I have no one in my LS who I can bounce off and is willing to set up their own events so we can do things regularly. I have no one who can turn around to me and say "no, let's try this instead".

It's tough .. but Cerb is home and I won't have it any other way. Not done Omen yet either .. when I tried to make an event for that we just couldn't find the jobs, had no Idris Geos around, basically Quilly, myself and Rusch were prepared but no one else was. I'm having to do older events to encourage more casual players to progress and get closer to our level so we can do stuff like Aeonics and Omen .. but it's a slow burn. Also, I'm pretty into other games (FFXV) and stuff so I'm not on FFXI everyday. When I'm on we have 250-300 players online on average, and anything over 300 is a bonus. I can't play through the day when all the talented Japanese players are on .. so I guess I'll make my Aeonic by 2018 or something.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2017-01-26 12:27:24
Link | Quote | Reply

So I guess Fomalhaut? Not just because it's sexy looking but because it's pretty sweet and likely better off than making a dagger for thief?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-01-26 12:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Or you can just ignore everyone and make the Aeonic you want to make.

Even if it's for BRD (dagger).

Cause, you know what? It's your subscription, not theirs. You know what's best for your character, and if anyone tells you otherwise, ask for their CC info so they can start paying for your game.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2017-01-26 12:37:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Cause, you know what? It's your subscription, not theirs. You know what's best for your character, and if anyone tells you otherwise, ask for their CC info so they can start paying for your game.

Well my love is DRK and I already have Liberator and Ragnarok .. so it's not a matter of what I would love to have, it's more like I want to make something useful. I'm not really bothered about my other jobs .. thought about making a DP for my COR one day but it's not a priority. I'm more likely to use Corsair (if it suits the party) on anything difficult, but my Thief is decent too.
 Shiva.Aldaron
user: Aldy
By Shiva.Aldaron 2017-01-26 12:43:00
Link | Quote | Reply

No one is saying you absolutely 100% have to make x or y weapons, people are just discussing to give ideas so someone considering a few weapons can make a more informed decision.

But thank you for the lecture.
[+]
By Verda 2017-01-26 12:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Pick what you want.

All I can tell you is I've melee burned WoC and Teles with Aeonic THF, and I love mine. But get what you want. Both the gun and dagger you asked about are one of the top DD aeonics but they're far from being the only good ones.

My favorite thing about Foma is it makes last stand ridiculous and my favorite thing about Aeneas on THF is one of the very few jobs that has all level 2 skillchain properties available to them, and does it with no changing to relic weapons etc too. THF is kind of a skillchain property master. Also with stacked WS closing umbral is very satisfying and it even is best for unstacked ws spamming due to tp bonus.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2017-01-26 12:46:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Aldaron said: »

No one is saying you absolutely 100% have to make x or y weapons, people are just discussing to give ideas so someone considering a few weapons can make a more informed decision.

But thank you for the lecture.

Thanks Bulbasaur! I totally understand his underlying message, but I already made my favourite weapon and would feel bad making yet another scythe when I could enhance another job with a new shiny. I'm leaning towards Fomalhaut, but I heard good things about Aeneas too and it would help with farming. The fact I'm still using Sinister Reign and a Ealdnarche weapon for these jobs tells me I need to make one or the other as I'm unlikely to do another mythic soon.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2017-01-26 12:49:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
Pick what you want.

All I can tell you is I've melee burned WoC and Teles with Aeonic THF, and I love mine. But get what you want. Both the gun and dagger you asked about are one of the top DD aeonics but they're far from being the only good ones.

My favorite thing about Foma is it makes last stand ridiculous and my favorite thing about Aeneas on THF is one of the very few jobs that has all level 2 skillchain properties available to them, and does it with no changing to relic weapons etc too. THF is kind of a skillchain property master. Also with stacked WS closing umbral is very satisfying and it even is best for unstacked ws spamming due to tp bonus.

Gah! This is why I asked as I could see the potential in Aeneas and it would make my THF infinitely better. The fact Fomalhaut makes Last Stand on a par with Wildfire and Leaden (as well as dispense unique bullets) makes it awesome .. but ugh, I need to make a decision soon as I'm capped on beads and want to get back to Domain lol.
By Bamboom 2017-01-26 12:56:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Trishula!

But seriously make whatever you want. Everyone has bias and everyone's situation is different, so you should look at your own situation and bias and trust your gut.
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2017-01-26 12:59:18
Link | Quote | Reply

the way I have treated Aeonics has been to either shore up weaknesses on other jobs that I have been called to use (rocking two less than perfect Taming Sari, myself, for example) or on personal projects. I made a Lionheart because I wanted it, RUN's likelihood of being used to DD be damned. I am working on an Aeneas now because I don't really want to put the time in on a Vajra or even a Mandau (which everyone seems to ***on anyways....) because I know I am sometimes needed on THF and it will be of benefit.

if I go a third round, it will most likely be gun, because it would let me pew pew pew more effectively on Corsair in addition to Ranger, neither of which do I have an "ultimate weapon" for. I'm also considering making a Sequence next because it would likely be of the most benefit in a zerg situation, despite already owning AG Tizona and Almace.

it comes down to weighing your strengths and weaknesses; will weapon A offer you a significant benefit over whatever strong weapon you currently use, or is there a weak link in your gear you want to strengthen through a new weapon that will outclass current options.
First Page 2