Favorite FFXI Quest Or Mission Of All Time!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Favorite FFXI quest or mission of all time!
Favorite FFXI quest or mission of all time!
First Page 2
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2016-12-21 15:01:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shadowlord 75 cap. Such an epic dyna run, the epic music and the satisfaction of completing the dynamis storyline. And of course getting your own shadow ring.
By abknight 2016-12-21 15:12:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The quest that takes you through Eldieme to the island in Batallia
 Lakshmi.Iambatman
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Iambatman 2016-12-21 15:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Climbing the mountain in attawa chasim!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-21 15:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The final fight for Wings of the Goddess.

Especially soloing it for the first time at SMN90, back when the cap was at 90.

Edit: or 95, I forget what the cap was at the time.
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2016-12-21 15:48:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Iambatman said: »
YEW!
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2016-12-22 00:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

There are so many epic battles, and certainly epic CSes (Windurst [S] city mission climax comes to mind, as an example) but oddly the quests that stick with me as the most-memorable are the quirky touching ones--ones about memories and the past, things lost, etc.

Those, to me, give the classic "Final Fantasy writing" type chills/catharsis upon completion.

The first I ran across was the culmination of the Carmelo (Port Bastok, Steaming Sheep Inn) quest series. For those who don't recall (understandably, as it was just a small-side-quest-set) you help Carmelo (an adventuring bard) form his magnum opus from various quested movements--he seeks to bury this final composition in order to achieve closure from a broken relationship he once had with another adventurer, whose memories he cannot put behind him.

The reason I liked it so much was the symbolism SE uses in the storyline--the two friends'/lovers' lives as being metaphorically the hands of a clock...invariably and inevitably moving apart, but someday sometime will come around to meet once again. I always found that to be a profound notion and often saw that in my own life--cherished friends that I drifted away from would come up once again when I least expected at odd points in my life. To this day, although I know it's a very romantic notion of 'fate'/'destiny', in the back of my mind I always think of RL relationships as having that paradigm.

The other fave quest (in a similar vein) is the "Unforgiven" quest in Tavnazian Safehold--the one everyone does to receive the Tav map. ;_; I am not sure if anyone really remembers it, and I am sure most people just jam on the the space bar to skip the dialogue when doing it on mules/alts, but OMG THE FEELS OF THAT QUEST. ;_;

I think part of it is that the final CS/dialogue is entirely optional, so it's possible that many don't even bother to see that part of the story, but it gives so much closure. When I first did it, I felt so bad...it was so touching. Ah well. I'll always think of that as one of my fave "Final Fantasy" quests of all time. :/
[+]
By voiceless 2016-12-22 02:07:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut COP fight was most memorable for me back at pandy couldn't fill up a full party because of population felt so good after clearing it with mnk's/drk's 1 hour zerg's
 Shiva.Francisco
Server: Shiva
user: Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2016-12-22 02:35:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Not necessarily my favorite quest, but there was one that had Vrtra's backstory.

Not many people did this quest from what I can tell, but basically...
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-12-22 07:43:34
Link | Quote | Reply

abknight said: »
The quest that takes you through Eldieme to the island in Batallia

Sandy Mission 9-1.

Also I believe the original Crawler's Nest map quest.
By Jetackuu 2016-12-22 07:44:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Iambatman said: »

The Parradamo Tor.

!
 Ragnarok.Littleanimal
Server: Ragnarok
user: Beanie
By Ragnarok.Littleanimal 2016-12-22 08:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Three men in a closet
[+]
 Asura.Scarve
By Asura.Scarve 2016-12-22 12:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, the entire story. I thought it was very well done to tie everything together. Gotta admin I teared up when the credits rolled.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-12-22 12:28:45
Link | Quote | Reply

A Timely Visit!

I am the Obsidian Storm!
 Asura.Taruranto
user: Tarlant
By Asura.Taruranto 2016-12-22 17:31:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Promy maybe? That dungeon crawling/adventure feeling. :3
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2016-12-22 17:38:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Schutz said: »
There are so many epic battles, and certainly epic CSes (Windurst [S] city mission climax comes to mind, as an example) but oddly the quests that stick with me as the most-memorable are the quirky touching ones--ones about memories and the past, things lost, etc.

Those, to me, give the classic "Final Fantasy writing" type chills/catharsis upon completion.

The first I ran across was the culmination of the Carmelo (Port Bastok, Steaming Sheep Inn) quest series. For those who don't recall (understandably, as it was just a small-side-quest-set) you help Carmelo (an adventuring bard) form his magnum opus from various quested movements--he seeks to bury this final composition in order to achieve closure from a broken relationship he once had with another adventurer, whose memories he cannot put behind him.

The reason I liked it so much was the symbolism SE uses in the storyline--the two friends'/lovers' lives as being metaphorically the hands of a clock...invariably and inevitably moving apart, but someday sometime will come around to meet once again. I always found that to be a profound notion and often saw that in my own life--cherished friends that I drifted away from would come up once again when I least expected at odd points in my life. To this day, although I know it's a very romantic notion of 'fate'/'destiny', in the back of my mind I always think of RL relationships as having that paradigm.

The other fave quest (in a similar vein) is the "Unforgiven" quest in Tavnazian Safehold--the one everyone does to receive the Tav map. ;_; I am not sure if anyone really remembers it, and I am sure most people just jam on the the space bar to skip the dialogue when doing it on mules/alts, but OMG THE FEELS OF THAT QUEST. ;_;

I think part of it is that the final CS/dialogue is entirely optional, so it's possible that many don't even bother to see that part of the story, but it gives so much closure. When I first did it, I felt so bad...it was so touching. Ah well. I'll always think of that as one of my fave "Final Fantasy" quests of all time. :/

This was a cool memory,
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2016-12-22 17:39:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Francisco said: »
Not necessarily my favorite quest, but there was one that had Vrtra's backstory.

Not many people did this quest from what I can tell, but basically...
Deep
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2016-12-22 17:41:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Scarve said: »
Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, the entire story. I thought it was very well done to tie everything together. Gotta admin I teared up when the credits rolled.
I agree but I feel the fight was the most memorable for me. The music and the ceiling showing so many memories with friends and new discoveries. And yes I'll admit it got me little teary eyed of friends I met and now are gone.
[+]
 Valefor.Ophannus
Server: Valefor
user: Ophannus
By Valefor.Ophannus 2016-12-22 17:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly if you're well versed in FFXI lore, THIS was a skin crawling, spine chilling moment. Seriously, this is one of the pinnacles of FFXI's story. It's 9min long, just watch. Basically it explains how Perih Vashai became blind using the Bow of Light.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Felgarr 2016-12-22 17:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Ophannus said: »
Honestly if you're well versed in FFXI lore, THIS was a skin crawling, spine chilling moment. Seriously, this is one of the pinnacles of FFXI's story. It's 9min long, just watch. Basically it explains how Perih Vashai became blind using the Bow of Light.

Which expansion does this quest take place in? What quest/mission is it?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-12-22 18:00:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It's the end of Windurst WotG missions.
 Fenrir.Memow
Server: Fenrir
user: Memow2
By Fenrir.Memow 2016-12-22 18:59:22
Link | Quote | Reply

2004 era RDM AF Hat quest
 Asura.Taruranto
user: Tarlant
By Asura.Taruranto 2016-12-22 19:20:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Ophannus said: »

The whole storyline is bananas, it's on a completely different level from WotG Sandy (Meh, kids) and Bastok (Expected). I know they had different (external?) writers working for WoTG, but damn, the Windy one really nailed it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Littlewolftamer
Server: Cerberus
user: wolftamer
By Cerberus.Littlewolftamer 2016-12-22 20:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Airship was always the most "rewarding" fight to finish back in the day. It was almost comical how easy Tenzen was after that to finally arrive in Sea.

Ark Angels was also a killer fight back in the day.
 Leviathan.Loona
Server: Leviathan
user: Loona
By Leviathan.Loona 2017-01-02 09:40:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Mihli Aliapoh's quest, Soothing Waters - gameplay-wise it's about getting a drop and doing some legwork, with a negligible reward, but you get about half an hour of story with great character moments that expands a lot on the ToAU setting.

The whole chapter 3 of Rhapsodies of Vana'diel was also filled with amazing moments leading to a fantastic ending.
[+]
By Calinari 2017-01-02 09:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Loona said: »
Mihli Aliapoh's quest, Soothing Waters - gameplay-wise it's about getting a drop and doing some legwork, with a negligible reward, but you get about half an hour of story with great character moments that expands a lot on the ToAU setting.

The whole chapter 3 of Rhapsodies of Vana'diel was also filled with amazing moments leading to a fantastic ending.

That's a really good one (for actual backstory).

The whole "General backstory" quest line is really good story, it's like 2 hours of cutscene.

The quest line that gets you Gadalar and Zazaarg trusts.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-01-02 09:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

To me the entirety of ToAU has the best crafted lore.
[+]
By Zubis 2017-01-02 14:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Divine Might in the 75 era was cool, not so much the quest but the cutscene before you fight them - the intro screamed that you're going to get pwned.

It was actually someone posting this screenshot 12 years ago that got me into the game.
 Cerberus.Littlewolftamer
Server: Cerberus
user: wolftamer
By Cerberus.Littlewolftamer 2017-01-03 14:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Zubis said: »
Divine Might in the 75 era was cool, not so much the quest but the cutscene before you fight them - the intro screamed that you're going to get pwned.

It was actually someone posting this screenshot 12 years ago that got me into the game.

Don't forget that first cutscene for Zilart in Norg after beating Shadow Lord that introduces the Ark Angels. One of my favorite cutscenes ever.
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
Server: Bahamut
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2017-01-03 15:08:29
Link | Quote | Reply

WotG Windurst storyline is much more satisfying than any other in the game imo. There are many great cutscenes in it. I would say they are collectively the best in the whole game in terms of story-telling. Some RoV cutscenes would take the crown in terms of choreography, though.
 Leviathan.Loona
Server: Leviathan
user: Loona
By Leviathan.Loona 2017-01-04 08:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Littlewolftamer said: »
Don't forget that first cutscene for Zilart in Norg after beating Shadow Lord that introduces the Ark Angels. One of my favorite cutscenes ever.

Shame that the voiced version on Famitsu's Youtube channel was made private for whatever reason - but at least someone mirrored it since: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIH4c5Vjk6o&list=PLi4P3nB0CV9o9NpHCy0D91nDt5KZIkGCM
First Page 2