Favorite FFXI NM,HNM,battlefield or boss fight
First Page 2
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2016-12-08 13:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Since the NPC one through in some of these monsters I seperated them.

Maat (75 cap)was my favorite because everyone was telling me he was super hard and I won on ninja 1/1. I've never felt so accomplished before.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2016-12-08 13:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Still love the music "Ragnarok", so that battle will always stick with me. In terms of the battle itself, original divine might. Was the first shell event I planned the strat for back in 2008ish lol.
[+]
By Calinari 2016-12-08 13:23:41
Link | Quote | Reply

It's cliche but fluffy. Seriously.

The drama. The chaos. The MPK. Yeah, if you actually WANTED fluffy and lost claim it totally blew, and was super boring. But for the people that enjoy "fun" causing spikeflails was some of the best ***ever. Right up there with CN trains. Selbina mpks. Stealing dynamis times.

You know it was the best, because they had to add entire new mechanics to the game to take away our fun.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2016-12-08 13:26:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Drakenv said: »
Since the NPC one through in some of these monsters I seperated them.

Maat (75 cap)was my favorite because everyone was telling me he was super hard and I won on ninja 1/1. I've never felt so accomplished before.

Maat wasn't hard, he was cheap. Depending on the job you fought him on he could have an "I Win" button. Ninja would of been easier due to Utsusemi existing naturally. The real "hard / random" jobs were Red Mage, Thief, Monk, and possibly WHM. SAM gets honorary mention because it's a crazy random fight, once it starts one of you is dead in 30s and your entirely dependent on Third Eye / Blink bands eating his Asuran Fists to give you time to splat him.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-12-08 13:31:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Stuff like early VW when we didn't have periapts and our group was mostly made of complete noobs. It was actually very challenging like that and we would come up with strategies and roles for everyone, something that I often miss doing.

And B-Rex for dat cor epeen.
 Leviathan.Andret
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2016-12-08 13:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

It would have to be Tenzen and other level capped promy BC - before the updates and everything.

I fought him with a static party. We did promy missions together because promy was so hard he had to be friends or fail.

We were clueless, hapless and pretty much noob on promy. We kept failing at him but we revise the strategies based on the jobs we have - rather than the cookie cutter way.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-12-08 14:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

gonna be a rebel and say recent content(schah, albumen, tumult, master trials, some VD ambuscades)

it might not be the game it was in 2005, but beating a hard fight for the first time never stops being rewarding and the newest hard fights objectively require a much higher level of play than anything ever did at 75
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2016-12-08 14:24:42
Link | Quote | Reply

First time I ever beat One to be Feared back in the old CoP days (after many losses with my CoP static), I literally starting jumping up and down and squealing. Can't say anything else in the game ever had quite that effect on me, so I guess I have to go with that :)

Just from an aesthetic sense, I really like the music and spectacle of the Provenance Watcher fight.

As far as mechanics wise, I enjoyed the Delve 1.0 bosses once we got to that sweet spot where players had the gear needed to get somewhat reliable wins, but it was still a challenge. I liked the changing weapon type weaknesses, the unique NM gimmicks (Marine Mayhem, Muyingwa's weird DT, maaaaybe not so much stunning Lahar but whatever), the fact that your backline actually had to be on their toes. Well developed fights.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2016-12-08 14:48:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm gonna go with Divine Might. I spent 3-4 hours getting a party together for that fight, and it was my first real leadership challenge in the game.

We lost the first fight, but came back with a clutch second attempt and I got my Bushinomimi ^^
[+]
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2016-12-08 14:50:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Been around since the PS2 NA launch but got to say Delve 1.0 when it was first released has to have been my favorite over the years.
By fillerbunny9 2016-12-08 14:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

One to be Feared is definitely up there; that was an accomplishment way back when in and of itself. beating Promathia felt pretty damned heroic too... heck, most of CoP felt really good when you finally succeeded, even on things like Jailers in Sea or Limbus.
[+]
By abknight 2016-12-08 15:04:31
Link | Quote | Reply

NM: Amemet because I dominated camping him for months at 70 cap and made a fortune selling his skins for 800k/ea
HNM: Serket for nostalgia reasons, Vrtra for sheer power at his release
Boss: Skeleton boss from one of the San missions
Battlefield: 40 cap mandragora BCNM because nostalgia
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2016-12-08 15:37:08
Link | Quote | Reply

fillerbunny9 said: »
One to be Feared is definitely up there; that was an accomplishment way back when in and of itself. beating Promathia felt pretty damned heroic too... heck, most of CoP felt really good when you finally succeeded, even on things like Jailers in Sea or Limbus.

CoP had a myth quality about it for several reasons for I'd say 2 years or more after release (lackluster rewards compared to Sky kept endgame focus in Ru'Ann for a while, truly gated access, the level cap missions leading up to eventual access to Sea, etc). And then once there, it looked like nothing we had so far in game, in terms of landscape and monster families. Not to mention mechanics at times. No wonder it will always be high in any list like this.
[+]
 Bahamut.Soraishin
Server: Bahamut
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2016-12-08 15:39:43
Link | Quote | Reply

The Celestial Nexus (Eald'narche)
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2016-12-08 16:39:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Andret said: »
It would have to be Tenzen and other level capped promy BC - before the updates and everything.

I fought him with a static party. We did promy missions together because promy was so hard he had to be friends or fail.

We were clueless, hapless and pretty much noob on promy. We kept failing at him but we revise the strategies based on the jobs we have - rather than the cookie cutter way.

It kinda sucked pre update in a way.

Like 2 members of my static had a falling out during the Xarcabard Promy.. Nothing like having to call a dudes girlfriend to calm her down.

Everyone else got stuck waiting for like an hour.

I don't miss that kinda drama lol.
 Asura.Taruranto
user: Tarlant
By Asura.Taruranto 2016-12-08 16:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Alex fight (75 cap), man I re-did that fights so much because of that. Really loved the OST.
 Sylph.Jrpg
Server: Sylph
user: ohnogc
By Sylph.Jrpg 2016-12-08 17:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

The final RoV fight.
 Asura.Syto
user: Sessho
By Asura.Syto 2016-12-08 17:08:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Geas Fete HELMs. Because of the challenge and level teamwork/coordination..

Very fun times.
 Odin.Drakenv
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2016-12-08 17:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jrpg said: »
The final RoV fight.
I liked it too
By Upbeat 2016-12-08 18:29:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Lord of Onzozo
Cactrot Rapido
By Riggy 2016-12-08 18:51:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Original Dynamis Lord was fun back in the day.
[+]
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Padisharcreel 2016-12-08 22:10:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Original Dynamis Lord
My first kill of that is still the most satisfying victory in any video game i've ever played. Took us months to finally win. I was always partial to zerg fights at 75 anyway... Bv2, DL, KV, etc.
 Odin.Vasche
By Odin.Vasche 2016-12-08 22:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

All 3 pre-item level delve fights were pretty awesome.
[+]
 Siren.Bruno
Server: Siren
user: BruHouse
By Siren.Bruno 2016-12-08 22:49:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Eco-Warrior of course!
Quote:
Cactrot Rapido
Odin...Suzaku was quite fun
Ignamoth
Arch Angra Mainyu
in SoA prime I also thought Ironbeak Inguza was a really fun lowman

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Stuff like early VW when we didn't have periapts and our group was mostly made of complete noobs. It was actually very challenging like that and we would come up with strategies and roles for everyone, something that I often miss doing.
actually agree with this, early VW didn't have a lot of time to be appreciated on a level of challenge before the latter half of it came around. Think the same could be said of Abyssea, to a lesser extent. like, Turul, Cuelebre, I thought those were fun fights.

also the lvl 1 Bubbly Bernie zergs

as far as mission fights go...besides the ones mentioned already, it sure felt good after beating MKE.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2016-12-08 23:58:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Jailer of Temperance, because I was a Warrior main, and had all my WSNMs, so whenever he switched stances, I just switched weapons and continued to *** him up.

Also really loved old timey Dynamis. Despite having a god awful effort to reward ratio for the entire group of people doing it, I liked the mass battle aspect. Sure, you didn't want to have a ton of monsters on you, but pulls were commonly *** up, especially if the shell was new. Lead to situations demanding crowd control, stalling, and last ditch sort of stands sometimes heh. Also the whole, warping out and coming back in with super weakness lol.

I wish I could speak on this topic with a larger perspective though. After Abyssea, I never got into another LS/group, and I never got into things like legion or delve or skirmish or anything post-voidwatch really. I stopped playing seriously shortly after the Adoulin release, shortly after getting 99 Rune Fencer.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2016-12-09 00:43:56
Link | Quote | Reply

low man nidhogg is/was/always will be my favorite thing. that and kb. kb was never hard, but making sure it never went unclaimed could be. i liked a lot of the sea fights. a couple of znms were fun. maybe lamia #9 for a regular nm? trio'd it with 2 other summoners for those stupid leviathan gloves that i NEVER saw drop. just getting there was such an ordeal, and it was honestly never 100% you'd kill it the first try. oh, reraise hairpin. you were the real hero.
[+]
 Odin.Blizzy
user: Blizzit
By Odin.Blizzy 2016-12-09 02:37:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I enjoyed sea prior to the nerf of the airship battle. Use of the Wall of Jerhico trick to take down JOJ was just funny.

Fighting Xolotal at the feet of Tiamat or Alabastor Antlion at Tiamat :P
By geigei 2016-12-09 03:03:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leaping lizzy.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2016-12-09 03:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The Cloud of Darkness was pretty great, FFXI really hammered home the nostalgia with all the images that pop up during the fight itself and the battle music itself was very fitting.

Certainly one fight that always seemed exciting was 75 era Dynamis Lord, just because the hectic, kill it during CS + Stun or death will soon follow.
First Page 2