New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Item Name Translation Mistakes
Item Name Translation Mistakes
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2016-12-06 02:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I discovered some translation mistakes with several items names. Hopefully these will be corrected.

Vile should be Vial.

Impacted Items:
バイルエリクサー Vile elixir
バイルエリクサー+1 Vile elixir +1

Briault should be Bliaut or Bliaud (both are correct).

Impacted Items:
ブレスドブリオー Blessed briault
ブレスドブリオー+1 Blessed briault +1

ヒーラーブリオー Healer's briault
HLブリオー+1 Healer's briault +1

クレリクブリオー Cleric's briault
CRブリオー-1 Cleric's briault -1
CRブリオー+1 Cleric's briault +1

セオフニブリオー Theophany briault
TEブリオー+1 Theophany briault +1

パエティブリオー Piety Briault
PIブリオー+1 Piety Briault +1

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/51755-Item-Name-Translation-Mistakes
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2016-12-06 03:59:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Skjalfeirdotter said: »
Theophany briault
When "Ebers bliaud +1" and "Ebers bliaud" were first released they were named "Ebers briault +1" and "Ebers briault" SE went in add ninja edited those, so maybe.

I noticed this 4-5 months ago when overhauling the BG Wiki- > Job Pages we had some naming conflicts and we use .dat file for our text. No one had noticed the ninja edit.

As for "Vile" I always had figured that was a typo and was suppose to be Vial and someone did Vile and it never got corrected.
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
Server: Fenrir
user: Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2016-12-06 04:04:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Vile seems fine to me, Vial Elixir sounds weirder unless you put an of in between.
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2016-12-06 04:07:43
Link | Quote | Reply

SE probably knows the AF and Relic are typo'd but decided not to fix those lines of armor because they had been out so long. Were as the emp you had nq emp saying bliaud but reforged using the typo? briault so they went in and made them uniform naming wise in the line.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2016-12-06 04:30:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Tarowyn said: »
Vile seems fine to me, Vial Elixir sounds weirder unless you put an of in between.
I'm on the fence with "Vile" being a good name, it goes against the properties of a Vile Elixir in that it heals a good amount of HP+MP but then it could reference that useful medicines often taste bad.
[+]
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2016-12-06 06:38:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chiaia said: »
Skjalfeirdotter said: »
Theophany briault
When "Ebers bliaud +1" and "Ebers bliaud" were first released they were named "Ebers briault +1" and "Ebers briault" SE went in add ninja edited those, so maybe.

I noticed this 4-5 months ago when overhauling the BG Wiki- > Job Pages we had some naming conflicts and we use .dat file for our text. No one had noticed the ninja edit.

As for "Vile" I always had figured that was a typo and was suppose to be Vial and someone did Vile and it never got corrected.

Gende. Bilaut +1 is incorrect on AH site as well, but the image displays the correct word. There maybe be text / code in the game that is still incorrect.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-12-06 06:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

It's more likely that rooks and scraggs where never notified of these changes. I'll make sure rooks knows.
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2016-12-06 06:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

It can be correct either as Vial Elixir or as Vial of Elixir.
Though with the word vial in front, it might could better as Vialed elixir (like bottled bleach or bleach put into a bottle).
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-12-06 06:49:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Vile Elixir, I take to be a beneficial elixir that tastes bad.

It's basically NyQuil. So 'vile' is describing the taste.
[+]
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2016-12-06 06:53:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
I'm on the fence with "Vile" being a good name, it goes against the properties of a Vile Elixir in that it heals a good amount of HP+MP but then it could reference that useful medicines often taste bad.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vile

a : morally despicable or abhorrent <nothing is so vile as intellectual dishonesty>
b : physically repulsive : foul <a vile slum>
: of little worth or account : common; also : mean
: tending to degrade <vile employments>
: disgustingly or utterly bad : obnoxious, contemptible <vile weather> <had a vile temper>

Now you could be right Tidis, as vile could refer to how aweful the medicine tastes... but vial is often used in reference to potions and medicines and such. Hmmm... though there is nothing in the item descriptive text about how bad it tastes, as with other items.
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
Server: Fenrir
user: Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2016-12-06 18:53:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Vial just seems... I dunno, unnecessary considering all potions including regular elixirs are in vials based upon their icons. It's unfortunate there's absolutely nothing useful in any of the descriptions, hehe.

Just for reference, the theory on the JP wiki is that classically elixir's would heal 100% of HP/MP so since these only healed 25/50% respectively they were lesser versions hence the vile. They then added elixirs later which... weren't that great but I guess having craftable full heal potions would have been a tad much, hehe.
 Odin.Dirac
Server: Odin
user: DiracOdin
By Odin.Dirac 2016-12-09 00:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I always thought they are called Vile because they taste so awful your character doesn't want to carry more than one at a time.
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2016-12-09 00:23:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shadowlina said: »
It's more likely that rooks and scraggs where never notified of these changes. I'll make sure rooks knows.

There isn't anything to be done on our side - these are localization bugs, SE's problem. We just mine the dats and take what they give us.

Are there cases where the game data and AH data don't match?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-11 08:26:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »
SE's problem
Isn't that your answer to everything?

*badges don't work* SE's problem
*items not translated correctly* SE's problem
*North Korea nukes Siberia* SE's problem
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2016-12-11 08:53:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Off-topic, but Skjalf misses the days of accurate item inventory searches. When it was possible to search for rare HQ items that are in stock on AH. ; ;

Like this:

http://www.ffxiah.com/search/item?&jobs[]=128&level[0]=50&level[1]=75&stock[0]=1&stock[1]=3&price[0]=150000&price[1]=9999999&fields[0]=2&order[0]=1#adv