users online
Forum » FFXI » General » I member.
I member.
 Leviathan.Balrahn
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Balrahn 2016-12-02 22:33:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry to put this here, but I'd love it if someone read this.

At this point I'm just writing to myself :P

I member
[+]
 Asura.Syto
Server: Asura
user: Sessho
By Asura.Syto 2016-12-02 23:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I always wanted to solo this guy, or atleast low-man him.
for a long time I pondered on how to kill his adds while kiting him, then I read something on BG that made the fight more doable.

As it turns out his pets are as lazy as all the other ghrahs out there.
All you have to do is kite him to another tower, and his friends would just give up and go home. When his pets were alive, he had a reflect effect on him. At first I thought this was a bad thing, but this could be worked to my advantage. JoF will usually never stop running, but when you cast something on him he will stop and cast it back, giving you a good head start after a nuke. Long story short... this guy is a joke.

I would battle this guy alot, and it was alot of fun too.
I would feel proud and a sense of accomplishment after defeating him and various other NMs on my RDM. Alone or with a good friend.

I don't get that feeling anymore.
Soloing a tough NM today in FFXI mostly means nuking something down on SCH while 5 trusts assists you.

Todays FFXI is easy and maybe that's a good thing? I remember playing two days a week for a year before I could get my Duelist's Chapeau. Standing at a HNM ground and waiting for hours so that the ls with the best claimbot could get the HNM. Watching others claim the NM you wanted that you camped for hours.

Then again.. I remember the thrill when a NM popped. Adrenalin rush and seconds start to feel like minutes. Then you get the claim and it feels so good to stick it to the other campers. One of my happiest moments in the game was camping KV for Ace's helm. I was out there in the desert all alone on my RDM against many other players. I got the claim and had to kite him while my ls rushed to my aid. Just one small slip and the NM could go to another ls. After tons of /tells from salty players we got the NM down and I got my helm. You do not get this kind of thrill anymore. Everything is popped and planned, no surprises.

So they took care of the claimbot issue, and today anyone can get anything done if they want to.
It all came with a price though.

FFXI has lost it's charm.

Nostalgia for HNM-Claiming Era?? Really? ...Hmmm... nah man.. lol

HELMs are more fun. You should try them out and then reassess your feelings of nostalgia.

If you are in a good group, these NMs are really fun and probably can generate a greater feeling of success than HNM Rinse/Repeat/Time-Wasting ***..

Coming from that era myself after having claimed many hundreds of HNMs with very powerful HNM groups, I would do anything to get that time wasted back and apply it towards building and gearing my other jobs that I missed out so much on.

Over the years of HNM camping I feel now that it has been the greatest waste of time that I experienced in this game. Camping for hours/days just for a few seconds of glory with horrendous drop rates and more fury/hatred from your server population vs your "successful" linkshell that no matter what was always accused for bot usage regardless of using one or not.

There was no real glory in out-claiming. It was just all about the joy of seeing people get salty, then eventually suffer/quit over time as their linkshells faded away as they were defeated and exhausted.. This got really old and stupid over time..

The game has changed for a reason. Lets embrace what it has become and look towards more solutions to make it more attractive and more challenging for smaller groups and larger groups coming together..

First step is to annihilate the entire HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE population of NA posters over at the official FFXI forums.. We all know who they are..
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2016-12-03 00:11:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, that's important too, I guess, but, it's just a symptom of the same thing. See, when a civilization has become so big it starts to get lazy, then that's when you get member berries. They're nothing new. They date back all the way to the Roman Empire. Once too many Romans ate the member berries there was no more growth. They rested on their laurels just eating and 'membering all the good stuff.

You see, we all wanna go back to when we were kids. Simple ideas like a big man to protect us, keep us safe.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Quizzy 2016-12-03 00:26:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I enjoyed HNM. I enjoy today's system.

Shut the *** up Syto.
[+]
 Asura.Syto
By Asura.Syto 2016-12-03 00:36:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Quizzy said: »

Shut the *** up Syto.

Likewise...

You seem so mad? .. lmao

I actually miss making guys like this feel salty.

I actually miss this part of the game.. Do I know you Mrs. Quizzy?
[+]
By Quizzy 2016-12-03 00:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope, just a guy who read your post and saw an ***.
[+]
 Asura.Syto
By Asura.Syto 2016-12-03 00:53:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope, just a guy who read your post and saw an ***.

Hmmm.. So you were one of the guys that were outclaimed.. I see... /comfort..

Lmao... Thanks for making my night..
 Siren.Bruno
Server: Siren
user: BruHouse
By Siren.Bruno 2016-12-03 01:23:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Then again.. I remember the thrill when a NM popped. Adrenalin rush and seconds start to feel like minutes. Then you get the claim and it feels so good to stick it to the other campers.

I can actually totally empathize with this. Doesn't necessarily apply to HNM specifically, but time/lotto pop NMs in general. Say what you will, "stand in the same spot for 3 hours" or whatever, and a lot of times, yeah, it was probably a waste of time, but after the buildup, after putting up with that guy that would fake you out with a preemptive Flee and make you leap for your controller, nothing else mattered. In that moment, the feeling was without compare when you finally got that claim.
 Asura.Syto
By Asura.Syto 2016-12-03 01:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Bruno said: »
Quote:
Then again.. I remember the thrill when a NM popped. Adrenalin rush and seconds start to feel like minutes. Then you get the claim and it feels so good to stick it to the other campers.

I can actually totally empathize with this. Doesn't necessarily apply to HNM specifically, but time/lotto pop NMs in general. Say what you will, "stand in the same spot for 3 hours" or whatever, and a lot of times, yeah, it was probably a waste of time, but after the buildup, after putting up with that guy that would fake you out with a preemptive Flee and make you leap for your controller, nothing else mattered. In that moment, the feeling was without compare when you finally got that claim.

I can see that perspective. There is definitely a thrill factor I miss too. Just I am speaking from a super burned out point of view mostly.
By crimsondragon 2016-12-03 01:53:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like we got some FF nostalgia going around. Wonder what caused it..?

Asura.Syto said: »

Wow, thought I had low expectations for a good time.
By Quizzy 2016-12-03 02:19:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Syto said: »

Hmmm.. So you were one of the guys that were outclaimed.. I see... /comfort..

Mmmm, not sure about that. Ask the guy who owns this website, he was in the same LS as me.
 Asura.Luckyseven
By Asura.Luckyseven 2016-12-03 05:13:25
Link | Quote | Reply

No Syto. I do not miss the HNMs. I miss having lottery pop NMs. And I miss the old kite/solo fights
 Asura.Luckyseven
By Asura.Luckyseven 2016-12-03 05:21:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Hell I Even miss Nyzul Isle.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-12-03 05:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

If you miss something so much the solution is to add more accuracy.

*brought to you by horribledailyjokes*
[+]
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2016-12-03 07:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree. The only strategies today are throw blus at it or MB it down. Miss the versatile from back in the day.
 Asura.Splendid
user: BlindLis
By Asura.Splendid 2016-12-03 07:50:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shut the *** up Syto.

I third this. Although I will say if you really wanted to solo Jailer of Fortitude back in '06ish era you could've. I wouldn't regret it as a missed opportunity though. Soloing NMs back while really fun and challenging, was time consuming. I remember soloing Ix'DRK for 14 hours one time when I was in college--that reraise was no joke. And honestly, in retrospect it was a complete waste of time. Don't have nostalgia for the old days. Yeah they were fun. 6 manning Tiamat and Khimmy at 3:30am were fun. I don't have enough life to devote to a video game like that anymore. You shouldn't either.

Take up wedding planning--it'll give you the same feeling as the old days.

#JustAdultThings

Just go farm some M chips and get revenge. >.>
[+]
By Treizekordero 2016-12-03 08:39:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Old days were fun but I think it was fun because we had LS mates and friends to make it fun. Personally I've enjoyed the game more now than before. Ever since Abyssea, I've been finding my way back to this game and each time I've been enjoying it more. Hell SoA really renewed my interest in FFXI.

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
If you miss something so much the solution is to add more accuracy.

*brought to you by horribledailyjokes*

LMFAO *DEAD*
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2016-12-03 12:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

The original post cites two vastly different experiences, in my opinion. The first, a solo jailer in 75 cap era, where mechanics of the game mattered a great deal even on the lower tier fights of content. And the author's second anecdote, one of the era of using claimbots to defeat other RL players to gain access to content that was, in most cases, quite straightforward.

The only thing these two stories have in common is the level cap. If the author wants strategy like (s)he yearns for like that jailer fight, try HELM Worm in Reisen. But if what they really want is a chance to laud shinies over the server because someone in their shell has a ***hot connection and great software, sorry that's gone.
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2016-12-03 13:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I loved the hnm era and people getting emo when they didn't get claim. I made friends all over the world because we were 24/7 EU/US/JP linkshell. Always something going on and playing with the Japanese was fun hence my friend scoppie who I met before HNM. Versitle was nice too now a days seems tank mages and a support. I don't consider a event because looks I can trio that now or just spam easy. But the good thing about FF11 it has helped people continue without feeling they need a linkshell to do most things.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2016-12-03 13:22:34
Link | Quote | Reply

3 hours of hnm camping meant three hours of netflix, chatting with friends (even friends in other ls's), crafting on mule, and usually a lot of drunk people.

last time i played ffxi it was 18 people hitting a mob once before it esploded, and all the "end game" was just farming the same event. you used to have days between being able to do events as not just time sinks, but to perfect your character. you didn't just, "spend a weekend" capping all merits. you would farm mats for crafts. if you had a single best in slot item you were proud of your accomplishment. in comparison bis in xiv is just farm repeatable content until you get tired or get your drop.

the big thing was that the content eventually got to too easy. it ended up being a gear gated thing. once they made melee too powerful (2h update and hasso/seigen) and everyone caught on with pld/nin (minus tiamat/jol) the fights themselves became zerg fests with little strategy. i still think it was the best game i've played.
[+]