Random Arguments & Strawmen #15

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Arguments & Strawmen #15
Random Arguments & Strawmen #15
First Page 2 3 ... 29 30 31 ... 46 47 48
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-12-07 10:09:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dameshi said: »
Saying every atheist is a neckbeard who refuses to be wrong is like saying every Muslim is a terrorist and every Christian is part of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Neckbeards who refuse to be wrong can be found in all the groups you listed.
[+]
By eliroo 2016-12-07 10:09:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Also, let's be clear on something. My need to always be right is entirely separate from the atheism.

As someone who is always right and not atheist, I may have been exaggerating.
By fonewear 2016-12-07 10:10:22
Link | Quote | Reply

See this is why we don't discuss religion it angers up the blood !
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-07 10:11:45
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
I didn't mean income, actually if you read what I posted, I explained how the income tax is actually fair % wise, and if anything the 1% are paying more on income tax, after tax returns, then the other 99%.
How is 1% of the nation paying almost half of the total national income tax considered fair to you again? They don't own the same amount of total wealth (compared to total wealth owned vs. nation) like you are alluding to.

Compare that to the fact that more than half of the people in the nation do not pay income tax at all, how can you justify any of this being fair at all?

Progressive tax system is the epitome of unfairness. People accept it because it's more politically convenient to do than to institute a fair tax system (such as national sales taxes, which knows no biases at all).

I wouldn't argue about the intricacies of something that I don't fully understand, which I doubt anyone here fully understands(Unless someone has a degree in tax law).
Hi, nice to meet you.

I was simply providing arguments for why we should consider changing the tax system to be more "fair", most of the arguments are not my own but others and I even provided sources which all included information as to what can be fixed and why and some proving that they are fair.
Then why aren't you proposing an actual fair tax, like a national sales tax?

I do however believe we need to re-evaluate our tax system
So, what are your ideas? Not ideas other proposed but you have a very vague understanding of, but your own personal ideas of what is fair?

I'm not sure you even know the answer to that question.

how we are spending our tax dollars.
What do you propose we change? There are multiple issues with how the federal government is spending/wasting our tax dollars, be it with college grants, R&D grants, social services, Medicare/Medicaid, certain refundable tax credits (EITC is a great example of wasting our tax dollars due to extensive fraud), defense, foreign affairs, and so on. Take your pick, and let's talk about it.

Contrary to republican belief, the government does need more taxes and it is very clear that trickle-down economics doesn't work.
Are you talking about when it did work (Reagan to Bush I years) or when it became crony capitalism (Clinton, Bush II, and Obama years)?

Economics and taxing are all about cause and effect but its nigh impossible to factor in the "human" aspect of it.
If you separate them both out. However, it's not impossible, and actually pretty easy to figure out, if you understand both subjects well enough.

If I was in Obama/Trump's shoes, it is very easy to condition the spending habits of this nation and also with businesses just by changing the tax code alone.
By Ramyrez 2016-12-07 10:12:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Saying every atheist is a neckbeard who refuses to be wrong is like saying every Muslim is a terrorist and every Christian is part of the Westboro Baptist Church.

Not to mention among the Amish, who were not listed, but who I refuse to let off the hook just because they don't argue on the internet about these things.
By eliroo 2016-12-07 10:12:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It angers people because it is hard for some people to accept that some religions could use some refining so they don't continually oppress women and gays or so they don't continue to incite violence.

Worked for the Christians!
[+]
By fonewear 2016-12-07 10:12:43
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have beef with the Amish who really don't get involved with anything. You are just looking to pick a fight !
By Zerowone 2016-12-07 10:13:16
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
angers up the blood !

Ummmmm...nope just gonna keep it classy.
By fonewear 2016-12-07 10:13:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It angers people because it is hard for some people to accept that some religions could use some refining so they don't continually oppress women and gays or so they don't continue to incite violence.

So you are telling me that Muslims are the peace loving hippies I believe them to be !
By Ramyrez 2016-12-07 10:13:44
Link | Quote | Reply

See this is why we don't discuss religion it angers up the blood !

Oh go to the angry dome and cool off, guy.

Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-12-07 10:14:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Pfft, none of those groups try hard enough. Get back to me when we start seeing terroristic neckbeard Baptists.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-12-07 10:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Pfft, none of those groups try hard enough. Get back to me when we start seeing terroristic neckbeard Baptists.

Are you suggesting the Amish join ISIS ?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-07 10:15:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Get back to me when we start seeing terroristic neckbeard Baptists.
Old-school bro!

[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-12-07 10:17:42
Link | Quote | Reply

As a woman I don't possess a beard, so I feel like this measure unit for wrongness is not universally applicable!
By Ramyrez 2016-12-07 10:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean...

[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-12-07 10:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
As a woman I don't possess a beard, so I feel like this measure unit for wrongness is not universally applicable!

Just wait until menopause.
By fonewear 2016-12-07 10:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The role of oppressing women have been shifted to white males. The most hated group of individuals of all time.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2016-12-07 10:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's an interesting question to throw out there. What is the point in having states anymore? What constitutes a state?

What I mean is, making laws that permit to an entire state just isn't practical anymore. Take New York for example. New York City practically runs that entire state, but why? "Upstate New York" as it is commonly referred to is vastly different from New York City. What is good for the city is not good for the rather rural state, or the smaller cities of Buffalo, Rochester, and Albany.

Would it not make more sense to have political boundaries be based on major metropolitan areas and get rid of the idea of states as it is?

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Progressive tax system is the epitome of unfairness. People accept it because it's more politically convenient to do than to institute a fair tax system (such as national sales taxes, which knows no biases at all).
I was just thinking yesterday about how a national sales tax, even a small one, would be a fantastic idea if done correctly.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-12-07 10:21:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Not to mention among the Amish, who were not listed, but who I refuse to let off the hook just because they don't argue on the internet about these things.

Have you met Flavin?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-12-07 10:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have beef with the Amish who really don't get involved with anything. You are just looking to pick a fight !

Clearly you've never been stuck behind a buggy going the speed of a single malnourished horse.
By Ramyrez 2016-12-07 10:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you met Flavin?

He's not Amish! He's Mennonite!
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-12-07 10:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Would it not make more sense to have political boundaries be based on major metropolitan areas and get rid of the idea of states as it is?

That's how Italy was after the fall of Rome until like a century ago (give or take 50yrs). Polis states don't really work in the modern era of unions and conglomerates.
[+]
By eliroo 2016-12-07 10:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Going to try and not "Wall-of-text" this post since others don't like it

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Hi, nice to meet you.

Then you are more qualified to talk about what our tax laws currently are, and again I'm not arguing nor am I going to try to argue how to use them. Nor do I blame people for taking advantage of them.

I simply don't have enough information on the topic to formulate an opinion on what needs to be done, I probably never will. The only idea I am championing is that all people in this nation need to be taken care of in some form or manor. People need jobs, and a lot of them need help getting jobs. Some people are unable to work, what do with them? These are the questions that I'd rather be asking.

More taxes could easily mean more money in the governments pockets that can be used to answer those, but less taxes could also mean the same thing if it stimulates the economy. I understand and respect how both function. One is direct the other is indirect but the latter if it works would make people happier - Thus I'm not opposed to it if it can work.

All-in-all, I respect your knowledge in the area and understand my lack of knowledge. I would much rather have philosophical conversation about what needs to be accomplished as opposed to the means. I think if people could agree on that we would see a lot more movement on some of these issues.

Lastly,

Quote:
How is 1% of the nation paying almost half of the total national income tax considered fair to you again? They don't own the same amount of total wealth (compared to total wealth owned vs. nation) like you are alluding to.

Your source provided very little information, while the Pew research source I provided earlier provides enough information to conclude that the top 1% are paying income taxes at a slightly higher rate then the rest of the US. I find that aspect fair.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-12-07 10:27:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you met Flavin?

Same difference!
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-12-07 10:27:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-12-07 10:29:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Clearly you've never been stuck behind a buggy going the speed of a single malnourished horse.

I tried to find a picture of a malnourished horse. This is the best I could do:

[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-12-07 10:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you met Flavin?

Same difference!

Menonites shave!
By eliroo 2016-12-07 10:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I was just thinking yesterday about how a national sales tax, even a small one, would be a fantastic idea if done correctly.

Provide tax cuts to the middle class and the middle-upper class and then implement a national sales tax. People would start spending more, the government would get their tax cuts back and businesses would profit from the increase in expenditure. At least that is how I think it would work out.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-12-07 10:31:08
Link | Quote | Reply

That is a Mennonite though, just that he's from Belize
By Ramyrez 2016-12-07 10:31:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Menonites shave!

Or maybe they're just allowed to and aren't required to.

I don't know. I can't keep these *** around here straight.

Just tell them to get their *** buggies off the road!
First Page 2 3 ... 29 30 31 ... 46 47 48