Random Politics & Religion #13

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #13
Random Politics & Religion #13
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 ... 37 38 39
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-10-21 00:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-10-21 00:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The ends justify the means. We must use whatever tactics it takes to ensure that we have someone who actually has experience with using public office to screw over the American people for personal gain.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-10-21 01:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

No means other than replaying Trump's own words. Thanks for reiterating my point.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-10-21 04:09:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
go get Saddam, I want his gun.
They farmed him for the drop the US leader wanted? Typical...
[+]
 Valefor.Rawry
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Rawry 2016-10-21 05:09:19
Link | Quote | Reply

So watched Clinton and Trump's monologues at that charity thing. Trump couldn't resist more than 12 minutes being civil...to think he started off so well actually saying good jokes(the best jokes), but then just couldn't contain himself and started being vicious again with that "she is so corrupt" etc.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2016-10-21 05:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I love the irrational fear that a President Trump will somehow roll things back for the rights of gay Americans to how they were during the first Clinton Administration; so the solution is to elect the Clintons' again. Battered Wife(Person) Syndrome.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-10-21 06:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

And here is a perfect example of somebody I described last page as either a partisan hack and/or oblivious to reality.
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
No means other than replaying Trump's own words. Thanks for reiterating my point.
[+]
By eliroo 2016-10-21 07:37:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Rawry said: »
So watched Clinton and Trump's monologues at that charity thing. Trump couldn't resist more than 12 minutes being civil...to think he started off so well actually saying good jokes(the best jokes), but then just couldn't contain himself and started being vicious again with that "she is so corrupt" etc.

I only got to watch the first 12 minutes or so before I decided to go to bed.

In those first twelve minutes he was really like-able and honestly genuinely funny. I'll have to watch the rest to get what you are talking about.

Also I don't understand why people don't take Bills policies into mind when voting for Hillary. They are both in politics and married, they will both be in power. There is a huge difference between Bill Clinton and someone like Michelle Obama when it comes to their political knowledge. If you are married, you know there are times when you will confide in your SO about work problems so you can imagine how much of an influence Bill Clinton will have.

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
I love the irrational fear that a President Trump will somehow roll things back for the rights of gay Americans to how they were during the first Clinton Administration; so the solution is to elect the Clintons' again. Battered Wife(Person) Syndrome.

Its funny too because in the podesta emails it clearly states that she still has the same opinion on gays and gay marriage, making it pretty clear that she is just pandering to them to get elected. I do think whatever justice she picks has a better chance at protecting Gay rights than one that a republican will pick. Then again, I wouldn't consider Trump a standard republican.

A Clinton administration is honestly equally as scary, there is a good chance our Proxy war in Syria will become an actual war.
By eliroo 2016-10-21 07:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

by actual I mean, an actual war for us (In the US).
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-10-21 08:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
A Clinton administration is honestly equally as scary, there is a good chance our Proxy war in Syria will become an actual war.
Who says we have to wait that long.

We are in so many "skirmishes" in the Middle East that, by any other administration, they would have been considered wars themselves.

And if anyone tries to use the excuse "Bush did it too," they would have to admit that Congress voted to go to war in Iraq and Afghanistan. Congress didn't vote to go to war with Yemen, or Syria, at all. But yet, there we are, attacking them for the sake of "retaliation against US interests."

Pretty soon we would be at war with Iran, as they are also attacking US navy ships on a weekly basis.

But that's ok when Obama/Clinton does it. If a Republican ever even attempted at what they do, the media would be all over it, accusing them of executive overreach and unconstitutional actions.
[+]
By eliroo 2016-10-21 08:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Democrats are a lot better at hiding their war interest. When Republicans want to go to War it usually reflects the interests of many, while the Democrats usually go to war for the interest of few.

I also don't think war is necessarily a bad thing, sometimes it is a necessary evil but if it can be prevented then it should at all cost. Bettering our relationship with Russia could potentially allow us to enter peace talks on behalf of the Syrian rebels.

People often forget that the Iraq war was not only voted by congress but was also wanted by a majority of people.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-10-21 08:47:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bettering our relationship with Russia could potentially allow us to enter peace talks on behalf of the Syrian rebels.
Except any attempt at engaging with Russia is considered an act of treason to any democrat/liberal out there. Case in point: Vic's notorious viewpoints that Russia is still our enemy, and you are a xenophobe lunatic if you think otherwise.

People often forget that the Iraq war was not only voted by congress but was also wanted by a majority of people.
Democrats/liberals are always rewriting history.

Remember Clinton's claim that the 2008 financial crisis was a direct result of "trickle-down economics"? Never mind that it was really about the housing crisis and her husband and his administration's inane idea that everyone can afford a house, so they forced banks to make loans that would have otherwise been denied.
By eliroo 2016-10-21 09:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Except any attempt at engaging with Russia is considered an act of treason to any democrat/liberal out there. Case in point: Vic's notorious viewpoints that Russia is still our enemy, and you are a xenophobe lunatic if you think otherwise.

I mean, they are our enemy. But that doesn't restrict us from having peace talks and trying to come up with a peaceful resolution.

Remember Clinton's claim that the 2008 financial crisis was a direct result of "trickle-down economics"? Never mind that it was really about the housing crisis and her husband and his administration's inane idea that everyone can afford a house, so they forced banks to make loans that would have otherwise been denied.

I don't know enough about this make a claim. Trickle-down economics was a good idea that simply forgot about the greed of corporate owners making it a terrible failure. I'm not sure if it was to blame for the 2008 crisis or not but it probably didn't help.
By Ramyrez 2016-10-21 09:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-10-21 09:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Even Politifact said it was false

Quote:
During the first presidential debate, Hillary Clinton tried to fix blame for the Great Recession on a cherished part of conservative economic policy -- tax cuts.

"Trickle-down did not work," Clinton said, referring to a derisive name for tax cuts that dates from the presidency of Ronald Reagan. "It got us into the mess we were in, in 2008 and 2009. Slashing taxes on the wealthy hasn’t worked."

Later in the debate. Clinton doubled down on that argument, saying, "Well, let’s stop for a second and remember where we were eight years ago. We had the worst financial crisis, the Great Recession, the worst since the 1930s. That was in large part because of tax policies that slashed taxes on the wealthy, failed to invest in the middle class, took their eyes off of Wall Street, and created a perfect storm."

We had usually heard from experts that the Great Recession stemmed most directly from the bursting of a housing bubble that led to a financial-sector meltdown. So we wondered whether economists thought Clinton’s argument held water.

First, some history: President George W. Bush enacted two rounds of tax cuts, though critics said that richer Americans benefited disproportionately. It is these cuts -- coming on top of previous rounds of tax cuts for wealthier Americans -- that play a prominent role in Clinton’s assertion at the debate.

Most, though not all, of the economists we contacted -- liberals, conservatives and in between -- expressed skepticism about the linkage Clinton made. (For their part, our friends at the Washington Post Fact Checker gave the claim Three Pinocchios out of a possible four, in large part based on the analysis of a 663-page report from 2011 by the Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission.)

That said, when we contacted the Clinton campaign, they stood by the assertion. Two of the campaign’s arguments stand out as plausible:

• Bush administration regulators took their eyes off Wall Street.

• Bush’s tax and budget policies fostered income inequality that, in turn, promoted unsustainable investments by the wealthy in homes owned by families with stagnating income and uncertain abilities to pay them back.

We found one expert who strongly sided with Clinton’s analysis -- Robert S. McElvaine, a historian at Millsaps College who has written about the Great Depression and the Great Recession. (The Post’s Fact Checker found a couple more that had been put in touch through the campaign.)

"It’s not the tax cuts for the rich per se, but their effect of concentrating income at the very top that was the major cause of the Great Depression," and, in turn, the Great Recession, McElvaine said. When income is too concentrated, he said, the rest of the population doesn’t have enough to maintain sufficient demand, and the economy suffers, he said.

So there is at least some support for a lack of Wall Street regulation and income inequality for setting the stage for the financial crisis that spawned the recession.

However, the economists we checked with expressed skepticism -- some strongly so -- about Clinton’s assertion that the recession emerged "in large part" due to tax policies.

On the left, Dean Baker, co-director of the liberal Center for Economic Policy and Research, said he wouldn’t just call tax cuts a minor factor in causing the recession -- he said he "can't think of any way they were a factor at all." If anything, he said, "the conventional wisdom goes the other way -- tax cuts tend to increase the deficit, which pushes up interest rates and in turn drags down house prices."

On the right, Dan Mitchell, an economist with the libertarian Cato Institute, agreed. "Hillary is spouting nonsense," he said. "No economic theory links tax cuts -- or, for that matter, tax increases -- to financial market meltdowns."

Other economists we contacted echoed these sentiments.

"Clinton is on solid ground criticizing Bush’s tax cuts, but blaming them for the recession goes too far," said Bruce Bartlett, a former Ronald Reagan aide who has sometimes broken with some conservative orthodoxies. "One can certainly say that the Bush tax cuts failed to raise economic growth or lower unemployment to any significant degree, and one can argue that the Reagan tax cuts were not especially stimulative as well. But to argue that the Bush tax cuts caused the 2008-09 recession is a stretch."

Harvey Rosen, a Princeton University economist who was an official in the administrations of both Bush and his father, said that tax cuts seem like an unlikely culprit, because "historically we’ve had relatively low rates without terrible -- or any -- recessions." He added that low tax rates "would not make my list of the top 10 reasons for the recession."

Instead, Rosen pointed to a "housing bubble in the United States and Europe that was fed by excess liquidity and poorly regulated mortgage markets." This became a problem, he said, when large financial institutions that had huge amounts of assets dependent on high housing prices found themselves with too little capital to stave off failure when the market crashed.

"After a number of financial firms failed, it caused a panic, and confidence in the financial system collapsed," Rosen said. "With the collapse in confidence came a collapse in credit markets -- no one was able to borrow -- which ultimately caused a contraction of the real economy."

Brookings Institution economist Gary Burtless added another factor: the irrational psychologies of the bubble, on the part of both homebuyers and lenders who felt empowered to pursue risky arrangements in the absence of strict regulation. "By the middle of the 2000-2010 decade, a great many loans were made that prudent lenders would not have made in the 1990s or ever the early 2000s," Burtless said.

This, in turn, led to the "end of a housing boom, a sharp decline in housing prices, widespread mortgage defaults, widespread mortgage securities defaults, and a lack of assets to cover the losses at nine large financial institutions -- Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs, Bear Stearns, Lehman Brothers, the CitiCorp holding company, and the AIG holding company," said Lawrence White, an economist at New York University’s Stern School of Business.

Our ruling

Clinton said the Great Recession emerged "in large part because of tax policies that slashed taxes on the wealthy, failed to invest in the middle class, took their eyes off of Wall Street, and created a perfect storm."

It’s broadly accepted that lack of Wall Street regulation played a role, and it’s arguable that income inequality helped set the conditions. But an ideological cross-section of economists agreed that the recession was primarily caused by a housing bubble that turned into a financial crisis, and that it was caused by many factors more significant than low taxes.

So for Clinton to say that tax cuts for the rich "in large part" caused the Great Recession is a significant exaggeration. We rate it Mostly False.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2016-10-21 09:32:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Hypernormalisation Documentary - worth a watch.

Hi RP&R.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-10-21 09:32:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Its funny too because in the podesta emails it clearly states that she still has the same opinion on gays and gay marriage, making it pretty clear that she is just pandering to them to get elected.
They don't say anything of the sort. "Clearly", lol.
By Ramyrez 2016-10-21 09:33:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Mmm. Fair.

I suppose if we stick to the "directly caused," I, too, would have to rate it as false.

It's been a tough 30 (squints at his calendar), okay...pushing 40...years...of ups and downs for a variety of reasons.

I guess I'm just saying there's a bit of a vicious cycle going on.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday myself. Both parties have had hits and misses over my life, and it feels like the further apart they keep growing ideologically the worse it's going to get, with peeks not getting as a high, but valleys getting deeper and deeper.
By Ramyrez 2016-10-21 09:35:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Trickle-down economics was a good idea that simply forgot about the greed of corporate owners making it a terrible failure.

Trickle-down economics is sort of the polar opposite of communism in that it works a hell of a lot better in theory than in practice, and they both fall apart because of human nature's greatest flaws.
By Ramyrez 2016-10-21 09:36:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
polar opposite side of the coin to of communism

Wrong idiom. Mea culpa.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-10-21 09:36:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Its funny too because in the podesta emails it clearly states that she still has the same opinion on gays and gay marriage, making it pretty clear that she is just pandering to them to get elected.
Clearly

But we all know that since it's something negative about your lord/savior, you are therefor going to ignore it.
By Ramyrez 2016-10-21 09:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I would argue that her personal opinion on gays doesn't matter one flying *** as long as they're treated equally under the law. That's sort of the point, isn't it?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-10-21 09:37:28
Link | Quote | Reply

But we all know that since it's something negative about your lord/savior, you are therefor going to ignore it

Isn't this the way most people treat their lord/savior(s)/etc.?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-10-21 09:45:00
Link | Quote | Reply

But we all know that since it's something negative about your lord/savior, you are therefor going to ignore it

As in if anything wrong is said about that being, they are either going to ignore said criticism and/or have a crusade against the criticism to the point of silencing (either figuratively or physically) the opposition into submission?

If that's the case, then yes. And that's what the liberals/democrats have been doing for the past 8 years.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-10-21 09:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

And here's why the Republican party won't learn ***from Trump's landfill fire of a candidacy. It wad all the media's fault, sure. Not that Trump never had any business running in the first place.

we lost control early on and spent all our money to try and hold the senate... it's our own fault. we have a lack of leadership at the top, a splintered party of malcontents in the middle and everyone is unhappy with our take a knee three times and then punt offense...

I think the only thing we learned is to not bank to heavily on idiots like rick perry and jeb bush that freeze on camera...
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-10-21 09:49:35
Link | Quote | Reply

As in if anything wrong is said about that being, they are either going to ignore said criticism and/or have a crusade against the criticism to the point of silencing (either figuratively or physically) the opposition into submission?

If that's the case, then yes. And that's what the liberals/democrats have been doing for the past 8 years.

And that's what many of the GOP still do with Reagan.

And Jesus, for that matter.

I realize we're like a dickhair away from an election, but man, you need to relax. So do a few of the liberal posters around. Getting entirely too worked up over things these days.

Or maybe I've just been around Nik too long, but c'mon. No one is changing anyone's deeply-seeded opinions and throwing around party tags as dire insults isn't going to get anyone anywhere on a website for a pair of sinking ship MMOs.

*** it, man. Let's go bowling.
By eliroo 2016-10-21 09:58:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Its hard to see anything clearly when you close your eyes before seeing it.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-10-21 10:02:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Its hard to see anything clearly when you close your eyes before seeing it.
2deep4disthread.
[+]
By eliroo 2016-10-21 10:02:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I would argue that her personal opinion on gays doesn't matter one flying *** as long as they're treated equally under the law. That's sort of the point, isn't it?

I think this depends on what you want. If you want her administration to things for the LGBT community then she is not the candidate you want. If you want her administration to not do something that would hurt the LGBT community then this is agree-able.

Also as I mentioned, any liberal justice will most likely have the LGBT community in mind.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-10-21 10:07:13
Link | Quote | Reply

And that's what many of the GOP still do with Reagan.
Fine, I'll admit that, and only because Bush I and II were such disappointments that Reagan is still the best of them all.

But the way that the liberals/democrats are treating Obama, you would think this was the second coming of Bizzaro Reagan (which, in many ways, he is).

I realize we're like a dickhair away from an election, but man, you need to relax. So do a few of the liberal posters around. Getting entirely too worked up over things these days.

Or maybe I've just been around Nik too long, but c'mon. No one is changing anyone's deeply-seeded opinions and throwing around party tags as dire insults isn't going to get anyone anywhere on a website for a pair of sinking ship MMOs.

*** it, man. Let's go bowling.
Why do you think I haven't been posting so much lately? Well, that and that I had a major reconstruction surgery done this week and I don't really feel all that great at the moment, but enough about me, let's bash Clinton some more!
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 ... 37 38 39