Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI crashing
FFXI crashing
First Page 2
 Leviathan.Balrahn
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Balrahn 2016-09-30 07:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I've found this problem posted many times, but never been able to find a solution.

I'm on desktop nvidia 980.

My screen goes black and then my game crashes.
Sometimes i get a kernel error saying my display driver stopped working, but mostly this message doesn't pop up.

I tried installing dgVoodoo2 which makes it seem like the problem is gone, except for the fact that all characters are invisible and certain npcs and gear look weird. Exactly like this:
http://i.imgur.com/fxeFFay.png.

Anyone here have the same problem and have been able to find a solution?
 Lakshmi.Sulia
Server: Lakshmi
user: Sulia
By Lakshmi.Sulia 2016-09-30 08:05:09
Link | Quote | Reply

It might be something you have checked off in dgVoodoo2 that's making that happen. I have to run it because my laptop doesn't switch from the HD5500 to my GTX970m and my options ticked is literally only the "disable alt-enter to toggle screen state". Resolution is set to unforced and antialiasing is set to application driven. If those don't fix the issue running it with dgVoodoo2, then I'm not sure what else you could try. Maybe another person on here would be more knowledgeable with the issue than I.
 Asura.Neufko
Server: Asura
user: siskotaru
By Asura.Neufko 2016-09-30 08:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I've read billions of pages addressing this problem.

Launching the game inside a virtual machine works, but it's not a real solution (for me).

The only thing that has worked for some people so far is underclocking the gpu / memory clock with MSI Afterburner.

I tried it to no avail though, No matter what, one of my char will crash eventualy, even if i'm just standing in an empty zone.

Some zones like vagary is almost a 100% Crash everytime if both my chars are in.

I've tried :

- Disabling shadow / weather effect + Enabling graphics stabilization.

- NVIDIA Control pannel > Under Manage 3d settings > Global Settings change Power managment mode to prefer maximum performance

- Underclock gpu/memory clock from 50 to 100 with an increment of 5 everytime.

- lots and lots of in game settings tweeks and such.

---------------

These are the forums posts that might interset you :

http://de.ffxivpro.com/forum/topic/42935/win7-ffxi-crashes-constantly-nvidia-related/

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/45462/ffxi-crashing-display-driver/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/32vm2e/new_pc_build_ffxi_constantly_crashes_only_ffxi/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/815964/final-fantasy-xi-780-gtx-driver-keep-on-crashing/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/39250/discussions/0/828935672505005378/

https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/106839-Display-Driver-Has-Crashed-and-Successfully-Recovered

I really hope we'll find something someday.
By Jetackuu 2016-09-30 08:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Neufko said: »
but it's not a real solution.

Speak for yourself.
 Asura.Neufko
user: siskotaru
By Asura.Neufko 2016-09-30 08:49:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

Speak for yourself.

Fixed. Feel better?
[+]
 Leviathan.Balrahn
By Leviathan.Balrahn 2016-10-01 00:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I removed dgVoodoo2 and changed the TDR to 60.
This resulted in my screen freezing for 60 seconds and then crashing XD.

I Refreshed BIOS.
Formated the comp.
Reinstalled Win7 with only the most necessary drivers.

So far the only programs on my comp are Google Chrome, FFXI and my antivirus.

Currently updating FFXI.

Let's see how this goes..
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-10-01 00:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

you can turn off shadows, turn off weather effects, turn on the graphics stability option in the ffxi config to reduce occurance rate significantly
 Leviathan.Balrahn
By Leviathan.Balrahn 2016-10-01 00:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried all those earlier with no luck :/
 Leviathan.Balrahn
By Leviathan.Balrahn 2016-10-01 00:48:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Well.. I just did Einherjar.

I usually crash 2-5 times and I just did a full run with no crashes..

Maybe it's fixed?

Earlier when i formatted the comp I installed all the drivers that came with the motherboard CD.

This time I only installed the ones necessary for my computer to work, and I got the latest Intel chipset driver from the Asus website. (Earlier I was using the one from the CD and it had not been updated)

When I installed the nvidia driver I only installed the driver and NET framework. (skipped the HD audio and the 3D stuff).

I'm off to bed, I'll let you guys know how it works out after I've done some more runs.
 Leviathan.Balrahn
By Leviathan.Balrahn 2016-10-01 07:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I just did another Einherjar. Had all settings on full with weather effects and shadows. Ran 60fps this time (last night was 30). No crashes at all :)

Think it's safe to say that the problem has been resolved :)
 Phoenix.Frankbrodie
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Frankbrodie 2016-10-01 17:48:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Balrahn said: »
I just did another Einherjar. Had all settings on full with weather effects and shadows. Ran 60fps this time (last night was 30). No crashes at all :)

Think it's safe to say that the problem has been resolved :)

It'll return. You can take that as a Frank promise.

I'm not attempting to jinx you in any way. But I assure you that the 980 card is just doomed to crash comps when running FFXI.

I'm a bit bitter tonight because I've had an incredible series of crashes trying to CP in Outer Raz. Literally 2-3 minutes after logging my character in every time. About 8 goes in a row.

It's gone pretty much an average of once a day for months. Just playing FFXI. Nothing else crashes my comp. Not playing The Witcher 3 on uber settings. Not playing some silly non intensive card game on Steam. JUST FFXI.
Sometime once a day for a few days. Sometimes 3 days without a crash then 3 in one day.
Today? Couldn't keep it in for more than 2-3 minutes for a solid hour of the comp self rebooting after a complete bomb. Then relogging into FFXI.

I've downloaded Afterburner now. And have kept it running on the other monitor for the last hour of play tonight once I came home from Outer Raz. With no more crashes. And have gone into bios settings of the comp and tried turning it down from 'normal' to 'power saver' (crashed within seconds of logging into Outer Raz as per) and now up to the red setting 'give it all you've got computer' setting or whatever it is called. No crashes since with that up.

On Afterburner I've turned the voltage up by 10 as suggested in another topic. And Memory Clock down by 30 as also suggested. I expect these tweaks to do NOTHING! It will chug along for a day making me think that was the problem. Then just go BANG! When I'm least expecting it.

I've said to the wife after todays shenanigans that another day like this and it's the comp that goes or the game. And there's only one winner there. Goodbye FFXI and hello Steam again.
 Phoenix.Frankbrodie
By Phoenix.Frankbrodie 2016-10-02 13:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

What time did I post that yesterday? About 24 hours ago?

Just gone again now. With the voltage + underclock options in force. I'm going to try underclocking it by another 30 this time. And I've turned the bios setting back to 'normal' rather than 'optimal.' I swear it had started to smell funny.
By Jetackuu 2016-10-02 15:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Speak for yourself.

Fixed. Feel better?

Slightly, actually :D
 Phoenix.Frankbrodie
By Phoenix.Frankbrodie 2016-10-03 04:34:04
Link | Quote | Reply

k, it's gone for the first time today now as well. Just attempting to use the home point in Lower Jeuno to warp somewhere. Went at the cursor selection process.

These are full computer shutdowns that I get. Not 'gpu stopped responding and has recovered' ones.
Self reboots fine as such.

I have actually done a driver update this time. Looks quite a newer one from the numbers. Went from 361.91 to 368.39
I expect that to do nothing still lol.

So... How do I do this aforementioned virtual machine jobby? Any advice would be welcome.
I'll youtube it in the next few days if it's still crashing on me.
By Jetackuu 2016-10-03 07:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

If your whole computer is shutting down then it's most likely overheating.

As far as running the game in a VM you'll have to set up a VM with vmware (I use workstation and actually have a license, lol, but player should suffice) then install a guest OS (I'd do Windows 7 if I were you, then install vmware tools to enable direct3d acceleration.
 Phoenix.Frankbrodie
By Phoenix.Frankbrodie 2016-10-03 09:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not overheating. I've got Afterburner up on the other monitor the whole time this last couple of days. To adjust stuff and see what gives.

That plus it's not actually getting hot. Now The Rise of the Tomb Raider say, THAT gets it hot lol. The machine could double up as a room heater when I'm pumping something intensive for an hour or more.
It's never shut down on me during any game except FFXI. Even if running at full pelt for a couple of hours.
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2016-10-03 18:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been crashing once per day since the Anniversary update went out for Win 10... exactly once per day and then it doesn't crash again.

Last time it crashed, I wasn't even doing anything. I went to the bathroom and when I came back it had crashed. Pretty sure that update broke something...

[I'm running two 970s on the latest Nvidia drivers]
 Asura.Kunel
user: Kuchane
By Asura.Kunel 2016-10-03 18:40:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said: »
I've been crashing once per day since the Anniversary update went out for Win 10... exactly once per day and then it doesn't crash again.

Last time it crashed, I wasn't even doing anything. I went to the bathroom and when I came back it had crashed. Pretty sure that update broke something...

[I'm running two 970s on the latest Nvidia drivers]

I've been having the same problem recently ever since the most recent Win 10 update. It's pretty random and has seemed to stabilize a little bit since there was another mini-update, but pretty frustrating.
By Jetackuu 2016-10-03 19:06:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Then don't use Windows 10?

@Frank: I read more of your posts and I don't really want to read it all again so I'll just ask, was it fully shutting down before or after you started tweaking with the clocking and voltage settings?
 Phoenix.Frankbrodie
By Phoenix.Frankbrodie 2016-10-04 08:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Then don't use Windows 10?

@Frank: I read more of your posts and I don't really want to read it all again so I'll just ask, was it fully shutting down before or after you started tweaking with the clocking and voltage settings?

Since a couple of days after I installed the game. Say 2 months ago.

I only started using Afterburner as a last resort to see if that would do anything. About 4 days ago was that post up there?

No Windows 10 here. Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Windows 7 has been the best OS I've used since starting to PC around '97 or so. So I'll stick with it till it's no longer sensible to do so.
By Jetackuu 2016-10-04 08:33:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Only conclusion that I can reasonably come to if your PC is rebooting on a crash instantly and it's not overheating is that a driver or hardware (or both) are messed up. A decent guess would be video or even audio, but without checking logs it's hard to pinpoint. May be near impossible without the crash dumps.
 Asura.Crevox
user: Crevox
By Asura.Crevox 2016-10-04 10:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm running Windows 10 with a GTX 1080 without any crashing.

I did crash twice, but that was because I tried running the game in 4k. It worked for an entire day, then the next day I crashed twice during a Geas Fete NM. I switched back and haven't crashed since.

If your computer is turning off... is there any information in the system event logs? That might at least hint toward something.
[+]
 Sylph.Subadai
Server: Sylph
user: Subadai
By Sylph.Subadai 2016-10-05 15:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

After upgrading to Windows 10 I never had a crashing problem until I started dual-boxing my brother's GEO. Lots of crashes with "the display driver has stopped working and reset" message. I fixed this by updating my nvidia drivers to 372.70 and installing the Intel chipset drivers from their site (here). After that, the crashes stopped for the most part. I would crash about once or twice a week, if that. Then one day I decided to enable shadows and weather in FFXI, and right away got a black screen/display driver crash.

So in conclusion, I would recommend installing chipset drivers for your motherboard (if you have an AMD processor, check their site or your motherboard manufacturer's site for drivers), update your video drivers, and run with weather and shadows off, for max stability. (I also run with supersampling and bump mapping off, just throwing that out there if the above doesn't help.)
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2016-10-05 17:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Subadai said: »
run with weather and shadows off, for max stability.
I'm with ya, sadly. I love both of those effects but they cause too many problems.

Sylph.Subadai said: »
(I also run with supersampling and bump mapping off, just throwing that out there if the above doesn't help.)
Wait, NO SUPERSAMPLING? I think I'll stick with the crashes, thanks.
 Leviathan.Balrahn
By Leviathan.Balrahn 2016-10-13 20:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

And so.. The game crashes has begun again. Gonna try Virtual.
 Cerberus.Nekdal
Server: Cerberus
user: Nekdal
By Cerberus.Nekdal 2016-10-13 23:43:47
Link | Quote | Reply

My game crashes after i shut my tv off to leave my character on to sell stuff which i cant cause it always crashes. Getting annoyed with it too.
By Jetackuu 2016-10-14 08:53:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Nekdal said: »
My game crashes after i shut my tv off to leave my character on to sell stuff which i cant cause it always crashes. Getting annoyed with it too.

Yeah, you can't lose direct fullscreen (disconnecting a display and causing it to plib will do thise, so will connecting one), some TVs with HDMI will cause the connection to drop, without trying a few different things (like maybe connecting via vga instead of hdmi) there's probably no way around it. (I know of one, but to just resolve that issue with it is kinda silly to do).

Granted I'm just concluding that's the cause of your issue based on the information given, if it's something else then forgive me.
 Leviathan.Balrahn
By Leviathan.Balrahn 2016-10-18 01:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

So after the crashes started, I decided to do Windows update and left out the SP1. Crashes still came, but at a slower rate. Installed SP1 and Visual c++ 2015 and the crashes have completely stopped.

I'm not sure if these things are related or if I'm just lucky for the time being.

Time will tell!
 Phoenix.Frankbrodie
By Phoenix.Frankbrodie 2016-10-22 10:55:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Nekdal said: »

Yeah, you can't lose direct fullscreen (disconnecting a display and causing it to plib will do thise, so will connecting one), some TVs with HDMI will cause the connection to drop, without trying a few different things (like maybe connecting via vga instead of hdmi) there's probably no way around it. (I know of one, but to just resolve that issue with it is kinda silly to do).

Granted I'm just concluding that's the cause of your issue based on the information given, if it's something else then forgive me.

AH! That's a neat piece of info about the HDMI making the game dc if you turn the screen off. I was totally puzzled as to why after years of playing, my game had started doing that. lol

In my quest for a solution to the random crashes I tried swapping all manner of cables. With no success of course. Swapped monitor even. No help.

I'd left it plugged in with the Display Port cable which I had never used before. So that must be the source of my newly found dc's when the monitor is off. I'll get round to reconnecting it with a DVI cable when I remember. That's what I had been using for the last few years without the current dc problems.
By Jetackuu 2016-10-23 08:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

DVI generally doesn't do that but hdmi and DP both can and often will. More often DP from my experience. (It's a feature, albeit imo a stupid one). It's annoying. I can resolve it in a laptop with using vms, but I accept that it's above and beyond for most people.

My current monitors don't do it on hdmi, and it may just be a setting but unless you're using audio straight dvi is probably the better option.
First Page 2