Tired Of Logging In To A Dead Server.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Tired of logging in to a dead server.
Tired of logging in to a dead server.
By Afania 2016-10-16 17:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
Unfortunately we're the outliers. A lot of people do find that model fun otherwise it wouldn't dominate the industry.

Correction, Wow is the only MMO that dominate the industry, there are countless MMO from Asia that used the same model never survive more than 3 years, aka less successful than FFXI.

Valefor.Kiaru said: »
I've played WOW since vanilla beta. I've done lots of content but mainly PvP.
I've played SWTOR, aion, rift and tera a lot.

WOW style MMO's are just bad and not fun. I quit Legion recently because the game is grinding with no reward in sight.

To you they are, to me they are. Preaching to the choir, but money says that the model works.

Correction, it is not the model that works in tera, swtor or rift, it's AAA marketing and budgets.

Everytime you look at SWTOR, rift, tera etc and claim the model is awesome because they have more player than ffxi(I think), there are countless mmo using the same model in China and Korea with less budget never make it to the west nor survive for more than 3 years.

Wow model isn't some kind of zomg money generator that hands dev tons of revenue regardless of budget. You also have to look at the dev cost. FFXI is very profitable for it's budget, which is much cheaper to develop than AAA titles like Tera or SWTOR.

Edit: Just to show you the number by comparison, swtor dev cost is 150m if I remember correctly, FFXI according to wiki is 17 to 25m.

They are not even in the same league. Can't really say SWTOR is more successful due to wow model, they ARE supposed to have bigger playerbase with such cost and BioWare, SW IP marketing.

If you look at the dev cost of XI and how long it lives, plus even SE admitted it's one of the most profitable title they have, you'd agree that FFXI model is very, very successful despite having less playerbase than other AAA MMO.
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-10-16 17:54:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Unfortunately we're the outliers. A lot of people do find that model fun otherwise it wouldn't dominate the industry.

Correction, Wow is the only MMO that dominate the industry, there are countless MMO from Asia that used the same model never survive more than 3 years, aka less successful than FFXI.

'Dominates the industry' meaning so many games in the past 10 years want to be just like WoW so that model is, to varying degrees, everywhere you look.

Even SE discarded the style they built because they, like every other WoW-Clone thought they could draw people away from Warcraft with FF-themed-Warcraft. To some extent, it worked.
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2016-10-17 10:28:08
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem with merging is it takes a mallet to a problem and doesn't really fix the problem.

It can also create conflicts and disadvantages some players who may have preferred the way things are.

There are plenty if dying and older mmos who went through server mergers and continued declining so it's clear that the merger didn't solve any problems and may have exasperated problems for others.

I feel like the current starus quo is best. Those who seek populated severs have a few to pick from and there's a whole bunch of us in the middle with abut the same population. SE gets to make a bit of extra cash on the side. Win win.