users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Game Busters
Game Busters
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2016-09-17 15:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

So, I started thinking of when I played the DS version of Chrono Trigger. I remember getting all the new ultimate weapons enjoying all the new stuff they added at the end. Than I came across Robo's new Ultimate Weapon. The Apocalypse Arm. Basically everytime he crits he does 9999 damage.

I forget exactly what combination of gear I had. But my end party I had Marle, Frog, and Robo. Everyone had gear that gave them Auto-Haste and immunity to all status ailments. Robo also had the accessory that raised his critical hit rate by an oscene amount.

All I had to do for any boss was spam attack with Robo and sit on Marle and Frog in case I needed a Cure.

Last boss Lavos only took 2 crits from Robo to kill. You didn't even need to bother killing the Left and middle parts to remove the damage mitigation effect. The 9999 damage went straight through it.

THe Ultimate Lavos that they added only took for crits to kill.

And if you think it took awhile waiting on Robo to crit. It really didn't. His crit rate was something like 70-80%.

With this setup everything was just so pointless to fight, the challenge was gone, lol.

In short, I feel like Robo's Apocalypse Arm kind of ruined the game for me. After I had enjoyed everything else they added.

So, my question is, have you ever had games where a certain piece of gear, or combination of stats made the game so trivial that it felt like it ruined the game for you after you started using it?

Basically, have you ever seen gear/mechanics in a game that have pretty much broken the game for you.
By Wordspoken 2016-09-17 15:47:54
Link | Quote | Reply

If we're honest here, Chrono Trigger wasn't a difficult game to begin with. IIRC first time I beat it, I only did regular attacks with chrono to win last boss.
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2016-09-17 16:14:31
Link | Quote | Reply

This is true. But the ultimate Lavos that they added to the DS version was actually quite challenging the 1st time I tried it. It has more HP than anything else in the game and quite a few annoying moves. But with the setup above even that fight was trivial to the point of ZERO challenge.
 Asura.Crevox
Server: Asura
user: Crevox
By Asura.Crevox 2016-09-17 16:33:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Xenogears: Aerods.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-09-17 17:35:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Saints Row 4 - If you max out the superpowers by flying around and just collecting the orbs to do so, the missions become trivial.

Fallout New Vegas - Taking the Cannibal perk during a Survival playthrough.

Nintendogs - Picking a corgi as your first pupper. There is no reason to buy other puppers. Corgi is best pupper.
[+]