Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Building new PC - Win7 or Win10
Building new PC - Win7 or Win10
By fractalvoid 2016-09-11 20:40:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I got the i7 and a 1060 strix, once my 144hz monitor came in and fixed the screen tearing that was driving me nuts, xi running fine.

I got the i7 bc I sometimes mess around in blender and also bought this crap to do things in there and also in ableton and FLstudio, not gaming only.

I got win7 pro and am super happy with it. There's not tons of *** preinstalled and the dark-mode themes are much, much better and don't involve doing crazy ***to regedit.

Also I forgot a PSU so picked up some random EVGA. Doesn't matter but everything running gr8 so far. Super nice going from laptop to this.
 Phoenix.Keido
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Keido
By Phoenix.Keido 2016-09-12 12:04:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Skjalfeirdotter said: »
Just do a little looking into all the privacy concerns of Windows 10 and you will see that no one should ever use it. Every single thing you do is sent to Microsoft, 3rd party companies and the government. If you go in and change the settings, the next time Windows 10 updates it resets all of your privacy settings and there is no telling Win 10 that you don't want to do an update.

Not quite true. Set the windows update service to manual and no more automatic updates. Set your FW to block appropriate traffic and no more sending things to M$.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-09-18 09:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
Phoenix.Keido said: »
Just do a little looking into all the privacy concerns of Windows 10 and you will see that no one should ever use it. Every single thing you do is sent to Microsoft, 3rd party companies and the government. If you go in and change the settings, the next time Windows 10 updates it resets all of your privacy settings and there is no telling Win 10 that you don't want to do an update.

Not quite true. Set the windows update service to manual and no more automatic updates. Set your FW to block appropriate traffic and no more sending things to M$.
That's how my Win10's been set up since day one, never had any automatic update or privacy problems, runs like a dream. The ones primarily having those problems usually turn out to be the ones that don't know how to do the advanced settings to get it to work.

Novel concept I'm aware, but maybe just maybe people shouldn't have to jump through hoops to achieve it. I'll go back to my pipedreams.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-09-18 09:55:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Side note: not an option for those with Home.
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Slyshen1
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2016-09-18 11:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

7, seriously.
 Bismarck.Phaded
Server: Bismarck
user: Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2016-09-18 16:21:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

Unfounded/parroted statements like this need to die. Do you use an IOS device? Then you have given Apple rights to know where you are at all times with its location services. Do you use Android? Then Google is collecting the same data. Try turning any of those privacy invasive services off and see how crippled your devices get. Seriously open your eyes to what the entire industry is doing, MS isn't suddenly doing anything new they are just catching up.

There are always options, this has been available for a long time now. It's all still very unnecessary but if you are the paranoid type, have at it. Windows 7 isn't as "private" with your information/searches/telemetry as you would think either.
By Jetackuu 2016-09-18 16:27:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I said updates, and using third party utilities I don't consider "options" sorry. It's cool that you're fine with the direction things are heading, don't expect everyone else to be as well. Edit: GDI did I just defend Skjalf?
 Bismarck.Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2016-09-18 16:44:53
Link | Quote | Reply

That "third party utility" is nothing more than a collection of registry hacks and edits to the hosts file that anyone could do for themselves with proper research and the command prompt/regedit. The only reason it exists is out of convenience; it doesn't make it any less of an option, just a glorified .bat file.

The main topic at hand here isn't automatic updates, its that there are users that fear monger themselves into believing MS is 'spying' on your everyday tasks through constant updates in Win10 and only 10, which isn't true. Quite of few of these updates have been backported to 7 under different names. Do you own a smart device? If you do you've already accepted the direction things are headed. MS is just arriving late to the party. If users are going to moan about MS may as well include Google and Apple as well, they are all doing the same thing.

Brb going to unplug my refrigerator, I don't trust it being "always on".
By Jetackuu 2016-09-18 17:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm well aware of how it achieves those functions.

Matter of opinion, on just about everything there. You do what you do, that's your business.
 Bismarck.Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2016-09-18 17:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not opinion, its a fact that these same functions exist in 7. "MS Spytasks" aren't exclusive to just their newest OS, and users telling anyone to avoid 10 because they exist there is nonsense, as they exist in all updated versions of Windows.

Q) Are you planning on running older hardware? Is 32 bit compatibility an issue? Are you running older Direct X games? Are you planning on using older devices with outdated drivers? Are you fine with Win7 being out of main stream support?
A) Stick with 7.

Q) Are you going to run current/future games in 4k with the latest version of Dx/Ogl/etc? Are all your programs primarily made in the last few years? Is future compatibility and expandability a concern? Is the hardware you are buying/using Win10 compliant?
A) Go with 10.

Those would be proper responses. MS spying on what you are doing shouldn't even be mentioned, yet there's tons of that crap in the thread. Turning off the ability to download security patches to maintain privacy makes no sense when you can achieve the same thing with the host file, while still maintaining an up to date OS. You're purposely keeping security holes open just so MS can't provide better searches/can't get crash error reports from you (thereby preventing more fixes). Sound advice/solid logic.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-09-18 17:37:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2016-09-18 17:44:06
Link | Quote | Reply

No, that's just the last resort of someone that failed to push their opinion as fact. Same as the users that were parroting "Stay on XP, 7 sucks" until they also lost update support and were forced to upgrade. Which are the same as those that also parroted "XP sucks stay on Win2k". Try re-reading the thread topic, and yes there are options for Home.

The human condition of resisting change needs to also die.
By Jetackuu 2016-09-18 17:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Not at all, but as you keep wanting to invoke the straw man fallacy, we're done here. Again with spouting off *** opinions.

/bye
 Bismarck.Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2016-09-18 17:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Not straw man at all, my original quote encompasses an answer than includes more than just your comment.

MS is using 10 as a tool for big brother to keep an eye on you? Stupid.

Add specific IP addresses to block MS's "Spying" via firewall? Sure.

Not being any options to set updates to manual to prevent (spying) from resetting again (on Home)? (As you suggested) Stupid.

Saying options aren't valid because its (3rd party) not built in? Ignorant

Patch it right the first time to prevent (spying) from happening at all (if that's a concern). Security/System updates exist for a reason, to patch security flaws/improve stability. Options exist to turn off those updates as well, regardless of version. It's not jumping through hoops.

Phoenix.Keido
Server: Phoenix
user: Keido
By Phoenix.Keido 2016-09-18 19:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow home users cant control their Services? I did not know that. There is a nifty lil tool by spybot that will take care of about 75% of the junk. Of course there is a lot to do and I hear you and agree with all your privacy concerns.
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-09-18 20:00:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Phaded said: »
It's not opinion, its a fact that these same functions exist in 7. "MS Spytasks" aren't exclusive to just their newest OS, and users telling anyone to avoid 10 because they exist there is nonsense, as they exist in all updated versions of Windows.

Q) Are you planning on running older hardware? Is 32 bit compatibility an issue? Are you running older Direct X games? Are you planning on using older devices with outdated drivers? Are you fine with Win7 being out of main stream support?
A) Stick with 7.

Q) Are you going to run current/future games in 4k with the latest version of Dx/Ogl/etc? Are all your programs primarily made in the last few years? Is future compatibility and expandability a concern? Is the hardware you are buying/using Win10 compliant?
A) Go with 10.

Those would be proper responses. MS spying on what you are doing shouldn't even be mentioned, yet there's tons of that crap in the thread. Turning off the ability to download security patches to maintain privacy makes no sense when you can achieve the same thing with the host file, while still maintaining an up to date OS. You're purposely keeping security holes open just so MS can't provide better searches/can't get crash error reports from you (thereby preventing more fixes). Sound advice/solid logic.

Phaded very well stated in your options regarding either. If i was the original poster i would go with windows 10 to keep up to date with whatever your interested in gaming or whatever. only thing that sucks about windows 7 having no support.

also pro tip if you're worried about Big Brother. They can't hack paper and pen, you can burn it and blow the ashes in the wind or downstream if near water.
By Jetackuu 2016-09-19 07:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow home users cant control their Services? I did not know that. There is a nifty lil tool by spybot that will take care of about 75% of the junk. Of course there is a lot to do and I hear you and agree with all your privacy concerns.

I was referencing the option to disable automatic updates and only that option. I personally don't have any privacy concerns, I never asserted as much, I don't know where the idea came from.

My complaint is solely with the lack of control, one shouldn't have to utilize GPO and other methods to turn off automatic updates just so one can install them when they damn well please and not in the middle of playing games, etc. *side note, if you're on wireless you can set your connection to metered, but who likes wireless?
By fractalvoid 2016-09-19 07:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

People straight trippin over this thread lol.

I got win7 and won't be upgrading til it's necessary, I've had no problems with win7 and basically have everything set up how I'd like with no issues, meanwhile, if I had gotten 10, I'm sure I'd still be messing with things trying to find a good way to have things set up to my liking.
By Jetackuu 2016-09-19 12:20:46
Link | Quote | Reply

fractalvoid said: »
People straight trippin over this thread lol.

I got win7 and won't be upgrading til it's necessary, I've had no problems with win7 and basically have everything set up how I'd like with no issues, meanwhile, if I had gotten 10, I'm sure I'd still be messing with things trying to find a good way to have things set up to my liking.

/thread

(I spent awhile modifying my surface and I still never got it to where I could enjoy using it, decided to hawk it.)
 Asura.Alucardr
Server: Asura
By Asura.Alucardr 2016-09-20 16:11:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Win 7 till it can't be used anymore. Pretty much what i did with WinXP.