New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Building new PC - Win7 or Win10
Building new PC - Win7 or Win10
First Page 2
By fractalvoid 2016-08-27 14:45:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Am building a new computer, having some issues on my laptop rn that's running windows10 and I keep getting random bs crashes and it seems to be isolated to the machine, even after multiple reinstalls of windows.

Was planning on building new PC and am ready to pull the trigger, but don't want to experience same bs crashing issue on a new, expensive rig.

I'd shell out the extra money for 7 or 8 if it meant stability over 10.

Anyone with insight or advice on this?

Here is the build if it matters.

Thanks
 Bahamut.Vladislav
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: burado
By Bahamut.Vladislav 2016-08-27 14:54:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems those Win10 crashes - is laptop hardware problems ( Outdated cpu , ram , etc ) Your build for new PC for sure will run just awesome with Win 10 . I myself have 2 pc's , old one still runs on Win 7 , but "new" is on Win 10 and there is no chrashes ( FFXI runs just fine also )
By Gruknor 2016-08-27 15:36:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Vladislav said: »
It seems those Win10 crashes - is laptop hardware problems ( Outdated cpu , ram , etc ) Your build for new PC for sure will run just awesome with Win 10 . I myself have 2 pc's , old one still runs on Win 7 , but "new" is on Win 10 and there is no chrashes ( FFXI runs just fine also )

Whenever I play ffxi on my laptop, I get graphical errors in the form of zone not loading. Then it crashes. I play ffxiv with no problems(except lack of content), I even played Witcher 3:Wine and Blood with little to no problems.
 Fenrir.Snaps
Server: Fenrir
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2016-08-27 16:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply

For FFXI I have had the best experience using Windows 8.1. I've tried Windows 10 and 7 all using the same hardware. With windows 10, I got some hiccups that would occur on some regularly interval. I didn't have this issue with 7/8 although my framerate is lower on Windows 7. That said, I did 0 troubleshooting as to why I had these issues. They may or may not have been fixable.
By fractalvoid 2016-08-27 16:09:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, my laptop had no issue with XIV and other games and it's not that old.

My even older laptop is running win10 and not encountering the crashing that I am on the other computer.
By Afania 2016-08-27 16:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

fractalvoid said: »
Am building a new computer, having some issues on my laptop rn that's running windows10 and I keep getting random bs crashes and it seems to be isolated to the machine, even after multiple reinstalls of windows.

Was planning on building new PC and am ready to pull the trigger, but don't want to experience same bs crashing issue on a new, expensive rig.

Thanks

I'll give advice only if you come back =D
By fractalvoid 2016-08-27 17:02:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm on rn Afa :3

Trans and Ziekx gone but have new char for now and making another mule or 2 once next double xp hits
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2016-08-27 17:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Win 7.

Never Win 10.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2016-08-27 17:37:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I know nothing of pcs but currently im running on windows 10 and Im really satisfied. I used to use a win7, but my pc had a serious problem with that as i didnt know how to put my radeon graphic card to work, leading to running FFXI just with the shared graphic card. Win 10 fixed this issues for me at least (could install some drivers just available to win10) and got nothing to complain currently.
 Lakshmi.Konvict
Server: Lakshmi
user: Smasher
By Lakshmi.Konvict 2016-08-27 17:39:36
Link | Quote | Reply

MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2016-08-27 17:45:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Just do a little looking into all the privacy concerns of Windows 10 and you will see that no one should ever use it. Every single thing you do is sent to Microsoft, 3rd party companies and the government. If you go in and change the settings, the next time Windows 10 updates it resets all of your privacy settings and there is no telling Win 10 that you don't want to do an update.
By fractalvoid 2016-08-27 17:45:55
Link | Quote | Reply

To all the people saying 7,is this based off of old PCs running 7/8?

I think a lot of my current issues are due to drivers being messed up bc they were initially for 8, now stuck on 10. Not sure the same issues will occur on all brand new hardware.

Was looking for people who recently built rigs and play XI, as their experiences are really the deciding factor.
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2016-08-27 17:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
I know nothing of pcs but currently im running on windows 10 and Im really satisfied. I used to use a win7, but my pc had a serious problem with that as i didnt know how to put my radeon graphic card to work, leading to running FFXI just with the shared graphic card. Win 10 fixed this issues for me at least (could install some drivers just available to win10) and got nothing to complain currently.

Terrible.
By fractalvoid 2016-08-27 17:47:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Skjalfeirdotter said: »
Just do a little looking into all the privacy concerns of Windows 10 and you will see that no one should ever use it. Every single thing you do is sent to Microsoft, 3rd party companies and the government. If you go in and change the settings, the next time Windows 10 updates it resets all of your privacy settings and there is no telling Win 10 that you don't want to do an update.

If you're concerned about privacy, I assume you're booting from TAILS on a USB drive, always using public wifi. Otherwise it's really a moot point. Don't feel like editing last post so excuse x2
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2016-08-27 17:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Stick to 7 until 10 is unavoidable (or if you are a top KI player). If you only intend to play games on the machine, go for 10, but only if it's strictly for games and nothing else at all, not even web browsing.
 Ragnarok.Littleanimal
Server: Ragnarok
user: Beanie
By Ragnarok.Littleanimal 2016-08-29 16:45:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't play with windower or anything like that but I have the game on a windows 7 laptop and a windows 10 gaming pc and I can say the game does run a bit better on windows 7. I've had other laptops with 7 and 10 and every time I played it on win 10 there's a weird minor stutter while playing the game and the borderless window will crash the game about 50% of the time if you alt tab again on the win 10 while I have none of these issues on win 7.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-08-29 16:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Go 10, Microsoft is discontinuing mainstream service on 7 and 8.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Edit: your processor is a 6th generation Intel you have to go 10.
Skylakes and Windows 10 were made for each other.
By Jetackuu 2016-08-29 16:54:32
Link | Quote | Reply

fractalvoid said: »

Thanks

Personally I'd stick with 7, even more so since you're not trying to use a NVMe SSD as it can be a pain to get those to work (as long as the drivers are available). Then again legally speaking if you get Windows 10 professional you're legally allowed to have 7 professional installed, generally only available though through an OEM and their disc, or through volume licensing however. But to each their own.

Also that PSU kinda blows.
By Jetackuu 2016-08-29 16:55:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »

Quite literally irrelevant.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-08-29 16:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »

Quite literally irrelevant.

Says the guy talking about OEM and volume liscensing for a personal build.
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
Server: Asura
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2016-09-01 16:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm running Win 10 and so far the only issue I've had is that if I browse to a site that uses Flash with Firefox, it crashes FFXI. Pandora is the biggest offender. I just make sure to launch Pandora before I launch FFXI, and no issues. I've heard the issue affects Firefox only.

Besides that, I've been running Win 10 for ~3 months now and only had about one crash per month excluding the above issue.
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2016-09-01 17:23:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Building new PC - Win7 or Win10

Win 7 Ultimate
[+]
 Lakshmi.Inspectorgadget
By Lakshmi.Inspectorgadget 2016-09-01 18:25:50
Link | Quote | Reply

There is nothing wrong with 10, despite what all the tinfoil-hat wearers say.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2016-09-01 20:20:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Inspectorgadget said: »
Don't forget that just because something works for you, does not mean there aren't problems with it that affect other people.
[+]
 Odin.Dirac
Server: Odin
user: DiracOdin
By Odin.Dirac 2016-09-01 22:37:27
Link | Quote | Reply

XI is single-threaded so go with the i5-6600k and 8GB of DDR4-4000, overclocked instead of the non-K i7.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-09-01 23:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I find 10 stable and the privacy stuff easy enough to manage.

I like it better than 7. YMMV.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Server: Asura
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-09-01 23:28:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Don't forget that just because something works for you, does not mean there aren't problems with it that affect other people.

Yeah, except this goes both ways. So in the terms of this discussion it's kinda moot.
By Jetackuu 2016-09-02 06:05:20
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a good bit "wrong" with it, but it really boils down to this for the OP:

Do you plan on using this computer for more than the next 3~ years without reinstalling the OS? If so you should probably go with 10.

Do you use a lot of older software (including games?) If no you should probably go with 10.

Do you plan on ever utilizing that M.2 slot? If so for the OS you probably would want 10 (much easier to install, unless you fiddle with the 7 media).

Personally I haven't been able to get used to 10 yet, it's aesthetically displeasing and they have changed a lot of things without options (or sometimes reasonable options) to manage them. My biggest issue with 10 however is going to have to watch doctors try to use it and support them and their sheer stupidity. But that's just my ranting, it's probably best if you go ahead and get it over with, it looks like we're stuck with the garbage for some time to come.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By tarujedi 2016-09-02 16:39:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I have been running windows 10 for a while with no issues.

Additionally, i would recommend dropping to I5-6600 and upgrading graphics card. I5-6600k is all you will need for gaming. Should let you push to a 1070 without upping budget.

If you are a streamer/video editor then keep the I7
First Page 2