Italy To Give 18-YOs Money To Spend On Art, Books

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Italy to Give 18-YOs Money to Spend on Art, books
Italy to Give 18-YOs Money to Spend on Art, books
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-27 13:52:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Italy to Give All 18-Year-Olds Money to Spend on Art, Books
'Beauty is more tenacious than barbarism'

Quote:
(Newser) – Italy thinks "cultural consumption" is important, and it's putting its money where its mouth is, to the tune of $330 million. The country is moving forward with its pledge to give every kid turning 18 this year in Italy €500 (roughly $560) to spend on "cultural products and events," reports Artforum in a translation of the Italian paper El Mundo. Citizens and permanent residents who were born in 1998 must register on http://www.18app.it and download the "18app" app. A government undersecretary hailed the fact that the money won't be "allocated through bureaucracy" but instead through some 550,000 teenagers' decisions—with one limitation. The funds can be spent on books, theater, concerts, exhibitions, and museums, but not on albums.

The money must be spent by the end of 2017, reports the Telegraph, which notes the program was announced by Prime Minister Matteo Renzi 10 days after the November terror attacks in Paris. With spending on security being hiked by one billion euros, he said the same amount would go toward new cultural spending. "We will not give in to terror. We have centuries of history that proclaim the fact that culture will beat ignorance, that beauty is more tenacious than barbarism."
Italy gets it!
By mithramegz 2016-08-27 14:44:02
Link | Quote | Reply

They sure do! Nothing like taking money from working taxpayers and giving it to others while forcing them to spend it on what they deem important!
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-08-27 14:50:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Buncha commies!
[+]
By mithramegz 2016-08-27 14:59:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Buncha commies!
Whoa now, no need to be throwing around the C word here. They are obviously doing exactly what these young people need. I know when I turned 18 I was way more concerned about going to the museum than say saving up money for a car/house/apartment.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By mithramegz 2016-08-27 15:04:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
How old are you my dear friend sheelay?
Buddy pal
Old enough to not know what sheelay means.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2016-08-27 15:42:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Give them books on US Building Codes. Too soon?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-08-27 15:47:47
Link | Quote | Reply

mithramegz said: »
Buncha commies!
Whoa now, no need to be throwing around the C word here. They are obviously doing exactly what these young people need. I know when I turned 18 I was way more concerned about going to the museum than say saving up money for a car/house/apartment.
Lol this is Italy. No one leaves the household until 30ish. But I'll give you car(and scooter).
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-08-27 15:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Italy had the Vespa though. That's a pretty nice scooter.
By mithramegz 2016-08-27 15:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Buncha commies!
Lol this is Italy. No one leaves the household until 30ish. But I'll give you car(and scooter).
With a government that treats you like this I can see why.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-08-27 16:01:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It's because getting a house is the hardest thing here. You either make a lifelong loan with a bank to buy one(cause the shittiest smallest house is 200k €), or you bleed your salary on a rented apartment and unless you have a high paying job(doctor, dentist, etc)it's really rough for anyone else. Add to that a culture that is very strong on the family aspect which means parents tend to be very protective, and you get the perfect mix for people that leave the house late.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-08-27 17:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Give them books on US Building Codes. Too soon?

I was going to ask if a Ronin Warriors DVD collection could be considered art.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2016-08-27 18:10:53
Link | Quote | Reply

How old are you my dear friend sheelay?
Buddy pal
Old enough to not know what sheelay means.
Sheelay is a ffxiah poster of old renowned, from Italy.

Too old for this initiative, not too old to forget about checking out on some good ole ffxiah pals every now and then :)
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By mithramegz 2016-08-28 01:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure if you wait a bit longer Italy will buy you a plane ticket and give you an allowance to spend at their cultural heritage sites. Can't let those terrorists win.
 Bismarck.Dubai
Server: Bismarck
user: Enitsu
By Bismarck.Dubai 2016-08-28 02:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It's because getting a house is the hardest thing here. You either make a lifelong loan with a bank to buy one(cause the shittiest smallest house is 200k €), or you bleed your salary on a rented apartment and unless you have a high paying job(doctor, dentist, etc)it's really rough for anyone else. Add to that a culture that is very strong on the family aspect which means parents tend to be very protective, and you get the perfect mix for people that leave the house late.

Just like Arabs, without the explosions.
[+]
 Asura.Biglovin
Server: Asura
user: Monko
By Asura.Biglovin 2016-08-28 02:43:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, Italy has money?
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-08-28 02:56:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Biglovin said: »
Wait, Italy has money?
Not much but yes. And we love to spend it in the worst ways possible.
By fonewear 2016-08-28 08:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »

Quote:
(Newser) – Italy thinks "cultural consumption" is important, and it's putting its money where its mouth is, to the tune of $330 million. The country is moving forward with its pledge to give every kid turning 18 this year in Italy €500 (roughly $560) to spend on "cultural products and events," reports Artforum in a translation of the Italian paper El Mundo. Citizens and permanent residents who were born in 1998 must register on http://www.18app.it and download the "18app" app. A government undersecretary hailed the fact that the money won't be "allocated through bureaucracy" but instead through some 550,000 teenagers' decisions—with one limitation. The funds can be spent on books, theater, concerts, exhibitions, and museums, but not on albums.

The money must be spent by the end of 2017, reports the Telegraph, which notes the program was announced by Prime Minister Matteo Renzi 10 days after the November terror attacks in Paris. With spending on security being hiked by one billion euros, he said the same amount would go toward new cultural spending. "We will not give in to terror. We have centuries of history that proclaim the fact that culture will beat ignorance, that beauty is more tenacious than barbarism."
Italy gets it!
Garuda.Chanti said: »

Quote:

Italy gets it!

Nothing gets a country out of a recession faster than reading about Paul Gauguin and Monet !