New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » XI Was So Challenging, It Brought People Together
XI Was So Challenging, It Brought People Together
First Page 2 3 4 5
By Draylo 2016-08-16 23:29:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Clearly he has no idea what he is talking about with that list lol.
[+]
 Sylph.Braden
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Braden 2016-08-17 00:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm actually surprised people haven't posted videos of groups using melee on Lv150 content by now.
[+]
 Sylph.Cherche
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Cherche 2016-08-17 04:38:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
That being said, any content that you use a melee class, they are quite interchangable as well. Anything you kill on BLU can be killed on WAR DRK NIN whatever.
With exceptional more work on the supporting members, but yeah.

I'm talking about 145+ ***, though. Everything I've put in 'usable' is stuff I've seen in a group composition but doesn't seem very common. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem likely.

And you keep bringing up "well, we use this set-up because content is designed this way" like I don't know that's the reason. Please, point out where I ever said BLM is the only relevant DPS in 145+ content (because apparently I need to be very specific what top tier content is) because it's significantly stronger than everything else.

Job balance is only s single aspect of game design. Designing content that shits on a very sizable chunk of your games jobs is bad design.
 Ragnarok.Sudox
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sudox
By Ragnarok.Sudox 2016-08-17 08:59:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Cherche said: »
I'm talking about 145+ ***, though. Everything I've put in 'usable' is stuff I've seen in a group composition but doesn't seem very common. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem likely.

Genuinely curious, but if your previous list of "usable" jobs is reflective of your perception of job viability in 145+ content, then what content are you using BLU in? I do not understand any use for it except in melee setup, in which case you would need to add every other melee job to your list.
 Leviathan.Dazusu
Server: Leviathan
user: Dazusu
By Leviathan.Dazusu 2016-08-17 11:44:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Using the "75 cap was better I'd go back in a heartbeat!" really invalidates your opinion. The game was not better, you are just looking through rose tinted goggles.

"I don't agree with you, so your opinion is invalid" really isn't much better.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-08-17 12:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

you can argue about balance all day, but balanced doesn't necessarily mean fun

different jobs may be slightly better or worse in very specific situations in 14, but the player experience is pretty close to identical..
By Afania 2016-08-17 12:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Cherche said: »
Afania said: »
That being said, any content that you use a melee class, they are quite interchangable as well. Anything you kill on BLU can be killed on WAR DRK NIN whatever.
With exceptional more work on the supporting members, but yeah.

And you keep bringing up "well, we use this set-up because content is designed this way" like I don't know that's the reason. Please, point out where I ever said BLM is the only relevant DPS in 145+ content (because apparently I need to be very specific what top tier content is) because it's significantly stronger than everything else.

BLM aren't the only dps in ilv 145+. People in my network has beaten ilv 145+ stuff with the following jobs as main DPS: RNG, COR, DNC, BLU, DRG, BST, SMN, THF. Half of the jobs are what you think it's unviable. And that's before evasion nerf.

I'm not sure if the statement of blm being significantly stronger than everything else is correct, considering none blm setup have killed these things equally fast or even faster.

This is just people that I know of and talked to. Somewhere out there other groups could have use other jobs in those content.

With recent evasion nerf all other melee should be viable on ilv 145 stuff.
[+]
 Lye
By Lye 2016-08-17 12:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
you can argue about balance all day, but balanced doesn't necessarily mean fun

different jobs may be slightly better or worse in very specific situations in 14, but the player experience is pretty close to identical..

You should try playing XI on console. Tell me how fun that balance is.

The best thing XI did was inspire windower, plugins and add-ons. Those have probably done as much for keeping the game alive as SE post 2010.
[+]
By Draylo 2016-08-17 17:16:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dazusu said: »
Using the "75 cap was better I'd go back in a heartbeat!" really invalidates your opinion. The game was not better, you are just looking through rose tinted goggles.

It's actually a fact, the game has progressed way beyond what was in the 75 days. Some people seem to think it was the game content/mechanics instead of the population/community that made FFXI good during those times but they are wrong. You really can't deny all the changes FFXI has made to become a better MMO in general. Sitting in one spot for hours to claim an NM, among other bad design ideas, is a thing of the past.
 Titan.Elevan
Server: Titan
user: Elevan
By Titan.Elevan 2016-08-23 06:15:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The guy who posted that XIV's music has no soul compared to XI is downright insane. XIV has TONS of amazing music. Deaf?

But I do agree with most here that XIV needs exploration. Its basically just a Q up game.
[+]
By eliroo 2016-08-23 07:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Elevan said: »
The guy who posted that XIV's music has no soul compared to XI is downright insane. XIV has TONS of amazing music. Deaf?

But I do agree with most here that XIV needs exploration. Its basically just a Q up game.

XIV definitely has better music in general. You can easily compare both soundtracks to find that out. XI has a great soundtrack but its nothing compared to what XIV has.
By missdivine 2016-08-23 09:10:35
Link | Quote | Reply

It's actually a fact, the game has progressed way beyond what was in the 75 days. Some people seem to think it was the game content/mechanics instead of the population/community that made FFXI good during those times but they are wrong. You really can't deny all the changes FFXI has made to become a better MMO in general. Sitting in one spot for hours to claim an NM, among other bad design ideas, is a thing of the past.

The lvl 75 era was a major design flaw (stated by the developers) and most of it is still on the game.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2016-08-23 10:17:57
Link | Quote | Reply

People need to stop thinking that when people say they prefer 75 cap to, in this case XIV, another current game that doesn't mean they want to go back to it I a heartbeat.... I dont. I have put in previous posts how stupid some of the waits were in XI and current XI mechanically is miles better but the community is not which did make the game back then. I just cant bring myself to play XI anymore because well its boring and slow and I much prefer XIV to how XI is now. This isn't looking back to 75 cap with rose tinted glasses.

Next time Draylo you might want to find out why a person prefers 75 cap before spouting that mouth off of yours.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2016-08-23 10:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Boring and slow is the exact reason I can't stand ffxiv plus with the lack of awesomeness gear has in that game...
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
Server: Bahamut
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2016-08-23 11:10:53
Link | Quote | Reply

missdivine said: »
The lvl 75 era was a major design flaw (stated by the developers) and most of it is still on the game.

Source? I don't think they ever talked negatively about their own design choices for the 75 era. They still defend those choices. It was the Abyssea era about which they did that. They admitted the power gap they created with Abyssea was too big that it alienated the players to the game they were used to.
By mithramegz 2016-08-23 18:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
Boring and slow is the exact I can't stand ffxiv plus with the lack of awesomeness gear has in that game...
Come on dude! You have to admit grinding out that totally worthless relic was a blast!
By Braden 2016-08-25 05:33:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
We are comparing two completely different games here.

FFXI is marketed towards a specific set of people, while FFXIV is marketed towards another specific set of people.

To compare them both is like comparing Breath of Fire II with Madden 2016.

No, it's Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy IV. Same genre. You can compare them, because they are supposed to be similar. Madden 15 and 16 did not differ a great deal. I know I own them both. Don't be some retard who supports SE for making 14 the terrible game it is, because it's different. They sold out to try to make money. And they used shitty WoW clone models. I couldn't play that game for more than 2 months at a time. Your argument is crap dude.