Another Square Enix Financial/Title Loss Report...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Another Square Enix Financial/Title Loss Report...
Another Square Enix Financial/Title Loss Report...
First Page 2 3
 Asura.Syto
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Sessho
By Asura.Syto 2016-08-04 10:11:04
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/08/03/i-am-setsuna-developer-posts-a-loss/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

As a publisher only, maybe they did or didn't. I'm not sure.. If they didn't its still a hit on their name..

Assuming they did lose any money at all:

Lets hope they don't lay off a few more staff from other projects like FFXI in order to compensate for the damages this new game brought. I am sure they have enough HP to take a hit. Let's hope they have a good WHM to cure them back. It would suck if they reflected this back on our game which is such a small project for them now.. /end-ffxi-idioms

Quote:
I Am Setsuna developer Tokyo RPG Factory is struggling after its excellent, Square Enix-backed JRPG failed to find an audience in Japan. The company’s financial reports show a 244 million yen loss (~$2.41 million) after being posted in the Official Gazette in Japan.

In Japan, the game sold 33,629 copies on the PlayStation 4 and 27,994 copies on the PS Vita during its opening week, which, while impressive for what is essentially an original IP indie game, is mere pennies for a mega-corporation like Square Enix.

It remains to be seen how well the game sold in North America, and I have a feeling it will actually do better here. These kind of retro throwbacks to classic series tend to do better with the North American nostalgic fans than they do with the Japanese ones.

Tokyo RPG Factory is a new studio founded by Square Enix that’s dedicated to developing “classic” style JRPGs. Hopefully, Square Enix will see that this venture has promise in at least creating goodwill in its fanbase and will allow the studio to explore its potential even more with another chance.

It’ll be tough to convince Square Enix that classic JRPGs are a good thing if nobody buys them.
Administrator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2016-08-04 10:34:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, they lost 2.4m on the game, or for the quarter? The article indicates it's for the game (which would be sad), but your post title indicates quarter.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-08-04 10:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lost me at "excellent." I am Setsuna was not rated as excellent by any reviewer out there, it has an average score and looks like an average game. Doesn't surprise me at all that they lost money on it, it was just a summer filler.

Edit - 2.4m is not a huge loss anyway. SE will be fine.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-04 10:47:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Idiot Boy said: »
Wait, they lost 2.4m on the game, or for the quarter? The article indicates it's for the game (which would be sad), but your post title indicates quarter.
They haven't released financials for the quarter ended June 30th, 2016. Which is Q1 of their '16 FY.

Shouldn't expect it out before August 12th though.

But their profit for FY2015 was 19.892 billion yen, or $196,645,000 using today's conversion.

I'm not worried about SE anytime soon.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-08-04 10:57:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a Square Enix member so I get all their advertising.

Even the advertising for I Am Setsuna looks bland.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-04 11:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

There are several errors in that article:

1) The Q1 report has not been released.
2) Quarterly reports do not display individual sales of projects. That's the jobs report, and that's an internal document. There is no law, Japanese or International, that states that a company must release a jobs report to the public for publicly traded companies.
3) Because neither the Q1 report nor jobs report has been released, it's impossible to state that a game made or lost money.
4) SE hasn't lost money at all all of last FY. I highly doubt their Q1 report is going to show a loss either.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-08-04 11:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shoulda been called I am Final Fantasy.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2016-08-04 11:18:26
Link | Quote | Reply

$2.4 million?
"Ok guys. We just lost 2.4 million USD.. no more cinnamon sprinkles in your machiato lattes."
[+]
 Asura.Syto
By Asura.Syto 2016-08-04 11:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry Fixed Title. I wasn't correct on the "Quarterly" statement.. This shouldn't effect them and us as much as I think. Lets hope not atleast..
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-04 11:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It wasn't SE who had the loss, it was Tokyo RPG Factory.

Fix the title again, and your OP.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-04 11:27:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I just finished I Am Setsuna last night and try as I might to want liking the game it has some serious baked in flaws. For a game demanding the price it does, it sets itself up.

Pros:
- The piano soundtrack is fantastic.
- Chrono Trigger style battles.
- Art and worldfeel.

Cons:
- It lifts a FF storyline entirely. Like wow, really.
- Convoluted accessory system.
- Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too short. Like the game collapses halfway through.
- No replay value.
- Laughably broken battle system. You can break the game from the beginning and oneshot nearly everything.

I'd conclude by saying this game makes for a good foundation for a return to old-school RPGing but it's not a complete game and like Tales of Zestiria it feels like a test platform for a better game down the road.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2016-08-04 11:31:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I just finished I Am Setsuna last night and try as I might to want liking the game it has some serious baked in flaws. For a game demanding the price it does, it sets itself up.

Pros:
- Art and worldfeel.

Cons:
- Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too short. Like the game collapses halfway through.
- No replay value.
- Laughably broken battle system. You can break the game from the beginning and oneshot nearly everything.

I'd conclude by saying this game makes for a good foundation for a return to old-school RPGing but it's not a complete game and like Tales of Zestiria it feels like a test platform for a better game down the road.

I bought it and haven't played it yet, but this is more or less what I expected.

I don't get what you mean about ToZ though; the Tales games have had the same basic structure forever, at this point you either like them or you don't (I do, and liked Zestiria, even if it wasn't my fave of the series).
 Asura.Syto
By Asura.Syto 2016-08-04 11:36:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

No need to. SE's publishing investment in the studio so its technically their loss either in financials or in namesake a bit more.. Stop trying to defend SE's status on this loss...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-04 11:42:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Syto said: »

No need to. SE's publishing investment in the studio so its technically their loss.. Stop trying to defend SE's status on this loss...
Was I am Setsuna their only project for the reporting period? Did SE actually post the loss? Is SE the only publisher for Tokyo RPG Factory (i.e. their only investor/owner)? Is this a child company of Square Enix?

Can you honestly answer any of these questions? And provide evidence to them?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-08-04 11:42:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Pros:
- Art and worldfeel.

Cons:
- No replay value.

I bought it and haven't played it yet, but this is more or less what I expected.

I don't get what you mean about ToZ though; the Tales games have had the same basic structure forever, at this point you either like them or you don't (I do, and liked Zestiria, even if it wasn't my fave of the series).

Zestiria has a similar problem with IAS in that it feels like a game that's been made to serve the purpose of a better future game. Both games kinda collapse halfway through, throwing up their arms at trying to be coherent serving up a pretty weak conclusion to their stories. I won't spoil it but when you see it, you'll know what I mean.

Like Zestiria, the battle system is a good start but it's in desperate need of some refinement. Japan needs to stop with the complexity for complexities sake. Zestiria had the same issues IAS does with gear and the deeper system they want to serve up. It's a red flag when you can just bypass the mechanics of the game and brute force all the things.

Also the open world left *alot* to be desired.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-08-04 11:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Your spelling of a lot left a lot to be desired!

Japan needs to stop with the complexity for complexities sake.

They do this with stories too often, adding ridiculous twists to make stories work but instead of feeling satisfied you just get this "wat" feeling. Basically Kubo
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-08-04 11:59:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Was I am Setsuna their only project for the reporting period? Did SE actually post the loss? Is SE the only publisher for Tokyo RPG Factory (i.e. their only investor/owner)? Is this a child company of Square Enix?

Quote:
I Am Setsuna was developed by Tokyo RPG Factory, a studio created by Square Enix and staffed by external staff to produce role-playing video games (RPGs).

From what I can find it's their only game
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-08-04 12:01:09
Link | Quote | Reply

They don't even have a wiki page lol
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-04 12:03:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »

Quote:
I Am Setsuna was developed by Tokyo RPG Factory, a studio created by Square Enix and staffed by external staff to produce role-playing video games (RPGs).

Thanks for clearing that up.

At least we know that A) It is a child company, and B) they are separate entities.

So, we know that SE neither absorbed the loss nor the principle owner of the company. That answered a couple of my questions.

Still a misleading thread.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-08-04 12:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Thanks for clearing that up.

At least we know that A) It is a child company, and B) they are separate entities.

So, we know that SE neither absorbed the loss nor the principle owner of the company. That answered a couple of my questions.

Still a misleading thread.

Quote:
The concept originated from plans to re-create a game similar to classic RPGs from the genre's golden age. The staff was made up of developers who agreed with this vision. The battle system was specifically based on the Active Time Battle system used in Chrono Trigger. According to Hashimoto, Chrono Trigger was used as inspiration due to its popularity, it being a favorite of the assembled development team, and the fact that there were few spiritual successors to it on the market.

The character designs were done by toi8: he was brought in at an early stage, and his designs were likewise meant to reinforce the atmosphere. The game's music was composed by Tomoki Miyoshi, a young composer whose first notable score was for Soul Calibur V. Almost all tracks were performed on solo piano played by Randy Kerber, who had worked on major films including Forrest Gump and Titanic.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-08-04 12:12:46
Link | Quote | Reply

$19 billion dollar per year profit company

Yen but yeah, it shouldn't affect them
By Blazed1979 2016-08-04 12:12:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I think SE's rebound from FFXIV 1.0 shut away any doubts that the company can deliver.
That game nearly broke the company and they lost a lot more than 2.4 million on it. The marketing costs alone were in the tens of millions.

Unless SE can top that failure, nothing is going to put their brand at risk. Also I think you hold their brand in too high regards. This is the company that brought us Spirits Within and FFX-2, FFXIII. This is the company that has continuously alienated and lost its once imperviously loyal fan base. The SE brand is nothing special.

If FFXV fails, yes - it will probably be the end of SE as we know it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-08-04 12:13:47
Link | Quote | Reply

$19 billion dollar per year profit company

Yen but yeah, it shouldn't affect them
My bad.
By Blazed1979 2016-08-04 12:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

SE's $19 billion dollar per year profit company

Are you sure that is profit? You, up until this point, seemed to know what you were talking about. $19 USD Billion profit sounds like a unicorn.

Revenue I can believe. But profit, no lol.

EDIT: NVM, saw that your USD was a mistake and its yen. Yeah that sounds decent. 193 million in profit, very respectable.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-08-04 12:16:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Syto said: »
If FFXI goes down. Everyone is going to blame this game.. XD :P

No they won't

If XI makes more than it costs to keep it up, why would they shut it down because another game didn't quite make enough money? That makes no sense
First Page 2 3