March 2017 The End?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » March 2017 the end?
March 2017 the end?
First Page 2
By Chyretta 2016-07-28 19:47:52
Link | Quote | Reply

In the questions that was recently opened up to players SE stated that they had no long term goals for the game beyond March 2017, then they came back and said that does not mean the end of the game but they just have not made any goals for the game beyond that point. Here is my question, did they state the truth that there is no plans beyond march 2017 and that the game will end at that time and did they realize it was a mistake to make mention of that too early and in an effort not to lose players they came back and stated that no it does not mean the end of the game in an effort to keep players from leaving? I may be reading to much into this but I do not think SE even when they do have an end date in mind most likely wont tell us until its almost over that way they can milk players for every dime up to the pull the plug. It is just not in there best interest to give such advance notice that the game is ending so I think they kinda slipped up by saying the March 2017 but then realized there error and took it back. I'm sure i'm wrong at least i'm I hope i'm as i hope ffXI goes on for many more years.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-07-28 19:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I kinda doubt it'll shut down in March. There are a few more stages of death it'd have to go through first.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Azriel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2016-07-28 19:56:00
Link | Quote | Reply

It will, dw :D
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-07-28 19:57:29
Link | Quote | Reply

While I haven't played in years, mostly due to loosing my macros in SEVERAL system crashes...

NOOOOOOOO....

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2016-07-28 20:09:11
Link | Quote | Reply

The game will stay up so long as it is making SE money, once it dips into the red they will end it with all the mercy of a lady mantis devouring her mate.

From what I know maintaining the game in it's current state is rather inexpensive though so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
[+]
 Bismarck.Linkka
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Linkka 2016-07-28 21:09:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The March thing was likely in reference to the assorted campaign cycles and that will be the cycle restart date for things like Logins and Ambuscade.
By Boshi 2016-07-28 21:41:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If you read the response attached to the comment that mentioned march:

Someone asks: What happens after March?

FFXI_DEV:Don't worry! We're still planning content, but wanted to let you know what we have planned up until March 2017. We'll be working on our content plans for the time period after this.
[+]
By Draylo 2016-07-28 22:43:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The mobile should be out by then probably, they'll probably shift most of their focus to it.
 Asura.Kogasho
user: kogasho
By Asura.Kogasho 2016-07-28 23:36:05
Link | Quote | Reply

RIP
 Phoenix.Morier
Server: Phoenix
user: Morier
By Phoenix.Morier 2016-07-28 23:56:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh god, not this ***again.
[+]
 Phoenix.Morier
Server: Phoenix
user: Morier
By Phoenix.Morier 2016-07-29 00:09:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
The mobile should be out by then probably, they'll probably shift most of their focus to it.
They will probably have very little to do with it dev wise. Like with FFBE/RK.
By Mookies 2016-07-29 00:27:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you have some sort of serious reading comprehension problem? The dev clearly said that there is no need for a road map because the updates will be more of the same. He said that content is planned up to march 2017 just to give an example as to how far ahead they are prepared.

He even responded to a question about a possible expansion saying that it's not off the table if the money is there.

The people who keep spreading the "this game is dead" rumors need to *** off with their stupid ***. You are a moron.
[+]
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2016-07-29 00:35:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Not this again...
[+]
 Bahamut.Jaggerjack
Server: Bahamut
user: voiceless
By Bahamut.Jaggerjack 2016-07-29 00:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

i dont think this game will end soon
By Draylo 2016-07-29 01:19:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Time machine back to 2005, the game is dying the sky is falling!
[+]
By fractalvoid 2016-07-29 01:35:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Mate, the devs just said in an AMA less than a week ago that another expansion is still a possibility as long as they continue charging for subs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/4ulgh1/official_ffxi_developer_ama_with_producer_akihiko/d5qog67

Q; 課金をするユーザーがいる限り、新しい拡張やコンテンツを追加し続けられるか検討していただけますでしょうか?

A:はい。検討します。

Yes, we will consider this.
[+]
 Asura.Syto
user: Sessho
By Asura.Syto 2016-07-29 02:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

HNMs in Mobile Version.. Lets go guys.. KB is gonna pop moment the servers are up in FFXI GO Mobile... Let's do it all over again.. Let's create another story :D

Come on guys. :D
By Blazed1979 2016-07-29 03:09:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Buy wardrobes people, server transfer, buy wardrobes on your mules, do everything you can to keep the game alive.

Lets do a fundraiser for an expansion - lets transfer everyone from Asura to some desolate an obscure server. Everyone to Quezy!
 Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2016-07-29 03:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, because they dont have plans for after 9 months from now totally means they're shutting servers down afterwards...

Thanks for that stroke of brilliance, good sir.

[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2016-07-29 04:30:33
Link | Quote | Reply

game has already ended tbh, you're just being fooled into paying a sub fee for a horrendously stagnated game
[+]
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2016-07-29 04:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I kinda doubt it'll shut down in March. There are a few more stages of death it'd have to go through first.
Out of curiosity what is the stages of death for a game?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-07-29 04:42:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure there is no precedent to a game as old and deeply rooted as XI dying. Closest would be Star Wars Galaxies and even that wasn't on the same scale.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
Administrator
By Rooks 2016-07-29 07:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Pretty sure there is no precedent to a game as old and deeply rooted as XI dying. Closest would be Star Wars Galaxies and even that wasn't on the same scale.

Yep. And even then, that was as much about the license as the game itself - they had to kill it to pave the way for SWTOR.

It'll limp along in some fashion until it is completely impossible to maintain. SE takes "numbered Final Fantasy title" very seriously, as shown by the insane gamble they took on XIV/ARR. It would have been far simpler (and cheaper) to write a new MMO from scratch, than worry about all the conversion issues with 1.0.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2016-07-29 07:58:40
Link | Quote | Reply

When they stopped console support, they gave almost 1 year advanced notice. They are not going to blindside us with the news if the time comes to shut the servers completely. Use some logic, man!
 Cerberus.Immortalmoon
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Immortalmoon 2016-07-29 08:02:48
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI will never die!!! it will live forever in the hearts an minds of everyone that played it!!!
[+]
By fonewear 2016-07-29 08:13:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Ryanx said: »
Anna Ruthven said: »
Out of curiosity what is the stages of death for a game?

Denial. FFXI won't end it will live forever !

Anger. SE has ruined FFXI I will never buy any of their products again.

Bargaining. Maybe if they add a cash shop they could extend the life of the game.

Depression. Now what I have to go play FFXIV ?

Acceptance. Oh well the game never really recovered from 75 era. Time to move on.
[+]
By Draylo 2016-07-30 23:59:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember Star Wars Galaxies... such a shame they killed it off. I remember coming back and the people on the server I was on were very desperate for new players. I join them and the leader was like you won't quit right? I ended up quitting obviously but after leaving I was like, I hope FFXI never becomes that. I guess its just the natural way of things but that game has a special place for me like FFXI.

SWG also is like unprecedented, an MMO that old just suddenly shut down like that. The signs were on the walls, but that community was very close and loyal just like ours. I never went back to their forums to check things out but I wonder what the aftermath of that was.
First Page 2