Forum » FFXI » General » How to setup a Xbox360 controller for FFXI
How to setup a Xbox360 controller for FFXI
 Asura.Zart
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: zart
By Asura.Zart 2016-07-20 18:53:18
Link | Quote | Reply

well I recently went through another logitech f310, and I decided I got tired of how quickly my logitech controllers breaks down (I must've gone through 10 logitechs in the past 3 years or so). So I went to purchase a xbox360 afterglow controller from my local Gamestop (for around $22). and I realized I had issues using the trigger keys and them being on one axis (therefor I couldn't set them for macro key assignment) . After about 2 days of working on it I finally got xcbd loaded and the controller works great.

However it did take me about 2 days to do, so because there seems to be a lack of information about it on the internet I'm going to give steps on how to get the trigger keys to work on a xbox360 controller.

First of all you need to have Micrsoft Visual Studio 2010 installed. This can be rather tricky to do because now microsofts website only supports bewteen 2015 and 2012 but heres a download link to MSCS 2010 ultimate. (All though this installation seems like it can take between 3-4 hours.)

Download Cnet: Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2010

Secondly you will need to have MSVC 2010 SP1 Runtime Installed, this one is a bit easier to find on microsofts main website for whatever reason, it shouldnt take as long, but it would probably install in less then a hour.

Microsoft Visual Studio Service pack 1

Next, you will want to go here to download XCBD,
XBCD 0.2.7 Release

Then click on the top link where it says My SkyDrive or Mediafire, Then click Skip Ad on the top right corner (it loads after 6 seconds or so), then you should see the three links to the files on the screen I just downloaded the XCBD zipped file. Also make sure when you install XCBD that you right click it and run it as a administrator as it need to change registry values just to reference his post:

SquallLeonheart said:
On Vista/Windows 7 with UAC enabled, you must run the Setup Utility in this same manner (Run as Admin) for it to be able to read and write values to the registry.

Lastly after you install XCBD completely, you do a search for XBCD Setup Utility or just "Setup Utility," to configure it, for some reason it installs into the system32 directory and I cant figure it out how to find it manually.
Youtube XBCD instruction video

So once you open the software, make sure you have your Z, Rz, and your Slider Axis off (unchecked box), I would also set it to a number of 12 buttons (near the on the bottom), and click save.

and thats pretty much it, FFXI should work with the controllers trigger keys. You can calibrate it under Control Panel=>Device&printers=>Right Click Controller Icon=> Game Controller Settings,
but I don't think you really need to.. I hope someone finds this useful.
 Asura.Ryujinjakka
user: Antonaki
By Asura.Ryujinjakka 2016-07-20 19:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I recently updated to a new laptop and purchased a replacement xbox 360 controller to go with it, as my original one is about 8 years old. The trigger buttons don't need any additional settings or downloads, it configures fine from the FFXI Config > controller settings. Not sure if they updated the driver settings finally, but it worked right from the box.
By Tylaar 2016-07-21 05:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

There was a similar thread a little while ago, with some people having the same issue as Zart (like myself), and some saying nothing needs to be done. For the people who are having issues, Zarts guide is a clear step by step, cos it is a pita to work through (thanks Zart!)

Unfortunately, it does not work out of the box for everyone.

Recent thread: http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/48856/controller-not-working/
By Jetackuu 2016-07-21 08:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, nothing needs to be done except for enabling x-input. If that's not working then your files are corrupt.

edit: If for some reason you still want to force your system into thinking the 360 controller is a direct input device all you need to do is remove the M$ driver and install the one from this site:

http://lavendy.net/special/driver/x360wc/index.html

Which is much simpler than whatever that stuff is up there ^
[+]
 Asura.Zart
By Asura.Zart 2016-07-21 13:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you sure its not something to do with the operating system, I have windows7 and all the buttons would work just not the trigger keys, im also pretty sure that a xboxone controller is probably more plug and play friendly then a xbox360, truely what the problem was that windows was reading the two trigger keys as one Axis so this fix makes windows define them as a button instead of a axis...
 Sylph.Traxus
Server: Sylph
user: traxusIV
By Sylph.Traxus 2016-07-21 13:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

The triggers didn't use to work because FFXI didn't support xinput. Now there is an xinput option in the padconfig and the triggers work fine with default drivers.
By Jetackuu 2016-07-21 13:23:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Traxus said: »
The triggers didn't use to work because FFXI didn't support xinput. Now there is an xinput option in the padconfig and the triggers work fine with default drivers.
^

The support was added in November.
By Jetackuu 2016-07-21 13:25:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Zart said: »
Are you sure its not something to do with the operating system, I have windows7 and all the buttons would work just not the trigger keys, im also pretty sure that a xboxone controller is probably more plug and play friendly then a xbox360, truely what the problem was that windows was reading the two trigger keys as one Axis so this fix makes windows define them as a button instead of a axis...

What was just said. No it doesn't really have to do with the Operating system more so as the 360 controller is an x-input device not a direct-input device, the "triggers" are an axis, hence why a custom driver (or now the case added x-input support) fixes it.
By Tylaar 2016-07-21 18:16:09
Link | Quote | Reply

You can argue it all you want, but it (unfortunately) doesn't work for everyone.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2016-07-21 19:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

At this point, I've been using an xbox360 controller so long with the bumpers as the macro buttons, going to the triggers would confuse me.

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2016-07-22 07:33:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Tylaar said: »
You can argue it all you want, but it (unfortunately) doesn't work for everyone.

As I said:

Jetackuu said: »
eah, nothing needs to be done except for enabling x-input. If that's not working then your files are corrupt.
By Jetackuu 2016-07-22 10:58:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yojimmbo said: »
Skip all that and get the Official Xbox 360 Controller for Windows.

It's literally the same thing.
 Asura.Zart
By Asura.Zart 2016-07-22 12:44:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Snprphnx said:
At this point, I've been using an xbox360 controller so long with the bumpers as the macro buttons, going to the triggers would confuse me.

Well the bumper keys will be the first thing to break down in the controller, where the trigger keys are more meant for the abuse (imo),

Traxus said:

Believe me I tried this, I wouldn't have gone through a day and a half of trouble shooting software without trying (nearly) every alternative.
I did and nothing seemed to work, every other key would work on the controller fine but not the triggers keys however; i did just install the controller with windows automatically, So perhaps there's more official drivers to use that are more effective, any of which I am open minded to.
By Jetackuu 2016-07-22 12:45:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Zart said: »
So perhaps there's more official drivers to use that are more effective, any of which I am open minded to.

Nope, something in your files are corrupt.

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2016-07-22 13:12:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Skip all that and get the Official Xbox 360 Controller for Windows.

It's literally the same thing.
I'm missing brain cells man, cause I couldn't wrap my head around just moving my fingers half an inch -_-
Literally has nothing to do with what I just said.