FFXI Developer AMA On Reddit!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI Developer AMA on Reddit!
FFXI Developer AMA on Reddit!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
By Blazed1979 2016-07-26 13:23:53
Link | Quote | Reply

superzombie23 said: »
ff14 deserves all the attention.
They have other online projects in the works that they are announcing in 2018 - something big, and more ambitious than FFXIV.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-07-26 13:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
They have other online projects in the works that they are announcing in 2018 - something big, and more ambitious than FFXIV.
Final Fantasy RL? What can you even do bigger than a mmo lol.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-07-26 13:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Final Fantasy RL? What can you even do bigger than a mmo lol.
Final Fantasy Go.

King Behemoth just spawned downtown.
[+]
 Asura.Fiasko
Server: Asura
By Asura.Fiasko 2016-07-26 13:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
Quote:
When can we ride a Moogle? I want a Moogle Mount!

Quote:
We...we will consider this... (“Don’t ride me, kupo…”)

I....I didn't even know I wanted this..

So close...
Fat Moogle Mount
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2016-07-26 13:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Sandraa said: »
Then this topic will become a fight reasonable people vs white knights.
Reasonable people don't fight.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-07-26 14:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Gruknor said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
So, anything positive come of this?

They seem to have no idea that they nerfed brd into the ground via geo. They are going to try to make it so melee can attack higher tier content, by reducing the agility stat on nms. They completely ignored Kylos and a few other people asking for wsc changes to Scythe/Greataxe/H2H. They answered so many fluff questions, I was surprised they actually answered any decent questions. We might as well ask them which steak house do they frequent the most, when in the red light district of Tokyo.

Yeah I'm not surprised, they always ignore me. Perhaps if I had done three seperate posts I would have had a better chance. If there is a next time I'll number my questions or split them up. At least they are kinda helping us with the AGI update, which will help with accuracy, but it's not going to help DDs survive. Also the AGI thing effects all DDs, so dual wielders are still going to have more accuracy over 2-handers I guess ... and they seem to have no idea how powerful BLU is in the right hands.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2016-07-26 16:38:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I am so upset and disappointed. Lore is completely ignored ._. it hurts me.
And here I am, watching all mission cutscenes to refresh my memory on the essential lore in preparation for RoV (haven't done it yet).

A lore announcement would've given lazy me a nice boost.

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
As for me, I'm flabbergasted at both the "Geomancer and Bard do not have the same roles" as well as their response to my melee haste question, which was simply "If you mean having jobs able to solo cap their haste the answer is "No." BLU can cap their haste, and that's a big part of why they're the current lead in most played melee in the game.
Hello everyone, Matsui here:

Still flabbergasted?
[+]
By Blazed1979 2016-07-26 17:04:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I think they get their employees to post stupid questions that no one cares about, just so they have something to say.

Its a japanese development team working in a japanese corporate culture environment and unfortunately the Japanese haven't kept up with the rest of the world in customer relationship management.

I've had too much experience with them. More than I care to remember. They don't know wtf PR, Social Media, customer engagement are. Its not a culture of open communications and expression.

Their idea of PR is:
- Did we do something wrong?
If yes, Apologize to public. People who did wrong should resign, but we won't fire them. Top boss should leave anyway. If he doesn't, force him to.

-Did we do something right?
Act humble and bow. Boss should get all reward and recognition.

-People talking about us in the media?
That's nice. carry on with work.

-Customers using social media to ask us questions?
Those customers can be a distraction from us doing our work, get back to work. The customers will appreciate our dedication.

Japanese Product Marketing cycle:
-Customers want XX and XX and ZZ and YY?
Maybe one day we will produce things that have some XX and some ZZ, but probably not for a while. We're busy making AA and BB which aren't selling well, so we need to make them better so they sell more. We need to invest more research into AA and BB until they sell more! no matter the cost!

South Korean product Marketing Cycle:

-Customers want XX and YY and some YY?
We anticipated this and launched them yesterday. We are currently working on combinations of XX and YY. We're testing XY and ZY and YZ at the moment and have prototyped them. We should be able to go to market within an hour! Invite some customers for some free testing, focus groups, and get the media to film it. Then send 10 billion pennies to our competitor informing him we would like to settle the lawsuit they are going to file against us in 2 days. Make sure the media captures that as well.

I'm actually about to quit my current job and go to another industry. My current field is in the music and entertainment industry.

We had been approaching the japanese, Square Enix included, to bring some of their IPs to the region. Square Enix is terribad... You can reach their Chiefs easily if you're calling from Dubai. They might listen to you for 2-3 minutes before they interrupt you and say "so how much money you will give us".. flat out just like that.

All of the Japanese Pop bands are popular here. But try bringing them here and good lord what a mind *** fest of ***you have to go through. we tried for years to convince them.. but nothing.

So last year our CEO gets the feeling that KPOP might work. So he does a bunch of deals, brings 2 KPOP festivals to Dubai, the first brough out 60k people per day for 5 days, the second had record breaking attendance figures, almost 1 million people over 7 days. We made huge profits. I remember, 2015's bonus was huge.

All of a sudden the Japanese want to talk to us. Guess what they say? Why would you bring Korean Pop when you have long historical ties to Japanese. This is betrayal. This is bad...

Yeah? what are you gonna do about it? I'm not making any money from you, you're not making any money from me. We've been chasing your *** for years. you didn't do ***.

Japanese: Ok OK lets talk, how much money will you give us?
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2016-07-26 18:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Fiasko said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
Quote:
When can we ride a Moogle? I want a Moogle Mount!

Quote:
We...we will consider this... (“Don’t ride me, kupo…”)

I....I didn't even know I wanted this..

So close...
Fat Moogle Mount

which you can buy in XIV for the low low cost of $29.95! {Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass.}
[+]
By fonewear 2016-07-26 19:28:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I love how enthusiastic they are about making mounts in the game but actually doing work they are kinds "meh" about.
[+]
 Shiva.Kasaioni
Server: Shiva
user: Kasaioni
By Shiva.Kasaioni 2016-07-26 20:18:58
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I love how enthusiastic they are about making mounts in the game but actually doing work they are kinds "meh" about.
Say what you want, but I went through Uleguerand Range the other day without having to worry about very easy prey aggro.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Kasaioni
Server: Shiva
user: Kasaioni
By Shiva.Kasaioni 2016-07-26 20:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Shiva.Kasaioni said: »
Say what you want, but I went through Uleguerand Range the other day without having to worry about very easy prey aggro.
By warping there using void watch?
By warping there using survival guide?
By warping there using unity?
By warping there using one of the 5 home point crystals that zone has now?
Map quest; had to go back up the mountain a couple of times. Didn't have the crystals yet either because I had no reason to go there before. (Also notice the word "through", not "to").
 Valefor.Omnys
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-07-26 20:57:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I think they get their employees to post stupid questions that no one cares about, just so they have something to say.

You have no idea just how willing some actual players are to kiss SE's butt.

Yeah, they didn't answer a very good question about Windower. They shrugged Byrth's great question off, other such things. But we know they're thinking about mounts!
Yay mounts!

They make us very aware of just how bare-bones the dev team is and then let us know all the useless crap they're working on.
[+]
 Phoenix.Morier
Server: Phoenix
user: Morier
By Phoenix.Morier 2016-07-26 21:07:34
Link | Quote | Reply

*** *** moan cry ***, all there is on these forums any more. So some byrth guy did not get them to answer a question and windower gimps can't cheat freely. There was still some good/fun answers.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-07-26 21:10:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Morier said: »
some byrth guy

lol
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2016-07-26 21:23:00
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

It's 4 months old, but is there a subbed version? Kinda interested in listening to it after listening to the one with Matsui. There might be some gold to dig from this one, too.
[+]
By ibm2431 2016-07-26 21:28:30
Link | Quote | Reply

For anyone who missed it, the response to the crafting question has been officially confirmed (by the dev team themselves) to have been a mistranslation, and crafting myths are just that:

Quote:
Q: Can you officially confirm the crafting variables? Does direction, day of the week, time of day etc. effect crafting in any way?

A:でません。(フジト)
Fujito: They do not. (edited: 7/26)
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2016-07-26 21:43:41
Link | Quote | Reply

*** *** moan cry ***, all there is on these forums any more. So some byrth guy did not get them to answer a question and windower gimps can't cheat freely. There was still some good/fun answers.

You mean kinda like what you're doing right now?

1. There was a response to his question. It wasn't a yes or no, simply that it'd be hard to do.
2. This is not about windower or making it easier to use 3rd party plugins. Actually it'd be very likely to break a huge amount of 3rd party programs and would likely take a while to fix them all.
3. The reason Byrth is asking for this is that this would allow more data per packet to be transferred between the servers and client allowing less loss when it's congested and allowing smoother play in crowded areas or when dealing with tons of mobs. It would also speed up loading times making it so that it takes only a second or two to fully load inventory after zoning rather than taking 20-25 seconds per zone.

I hope you realize what a massive benefit this would be to all of us vanilla and windower users alike.
[+]
By Treizekordero 2016-07-26 21:57:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »

You mean kinda like what you're doing right now?

1. There was a response to his question. It wasn't a yes or no, simply that it'd be hard to do.
2. This is not about windower or making it easier to use 3rd party plugins. Actually it'd be very likely to break a huge amount of 3rd party programs and would likely take a while to fix them all.
3. The reason Byrth is asking for this is that this would allow more data per packet to be transferred between the servers and client allowing less loss when it's congested and allowing smoother play in crowded areas or when dealing with tons of mobs. It would also speed up loading times making it so that it takes only a second or two to fully load inventory after zoning rather than taking 20-25 seconds per zone.

I hope you realize what a massive benefit this would be to all of us vanilla and windower users alike.

You're a better man than I am taking the time to explain something important to someone being so purposely antagonistic. :D

Especially when all of this was mentioned in some way in this very thread.

Just for reference this was from Page 3:
Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Increasing packet frequency also increases the number of headers sent, so it increases their bandwidth a bit.

Increasing packet size doesn't increase their costs at all, because they send the packets with the same frequency (same volume of header) and just send the information that they end up sending anyway faster. So it wouldn't necessarily even increase the overall data volume sent. It *would* potentially increase the peak bandwidth consumed. Like imagine a bunch of people zone in at once, there would be a bigger spike than when they're flattening it out with their cap.

Still, they would only need to go 4x cap (not 10x) to reduce zoning times to ~1s with all inventory spots filled and to eliminate almost all multiple target battle issues.

PS. Thanks for the upvotes!
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-07-26 21:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, as has been the case for years--

Windower generally improved the game (Things like TParty, the ability to do full swaps in an instant, many other things). SE has taken cues from windower (even if years later) and balanced the game around the use of windower to some degree.

It's a fair question: Will they ever fully acknowledge it or pretend to admonish players while benefiting from the freely-donated effort that many individuals have put in over the years?

Understand this: The only reason TParty ever worked is because the game was broadcasting alliance member's TP (right along with HP/MP). It wasn't included in the client simply because SE never got around to it. Laziness. A game balanced around coordinated play (skillchains, magic bursts) made communicating that difficult.

Even now, /partyinfo showtp doesn't show Trust's TP but TParty does. It's nice knowing when a trust is going to interrupt a skillchain so my friend can hold his tp for a minute and we can work with what the trust does.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-07-27 15:43:47
Link | Quote | Reply

While I mean this with civility, this...

some byrth guy

...kinda implies you don't know what you're talking about. Not to give Byrth a big head but most people in the community know of him if not know who he is. He's a dev for Windower, well known here and BG.

Secondly, this...

windower gimps can't cheat freely.

...is calling out a pretty sizable portion of the community as cheaters. That probably won't go down well.

The AMA is over, but discussion can still continue here so long as you all keep it civil.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2016-07-27 15:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Taj > all of you pretenders.
By Blazed1979 2016-07-27 15:50:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
It's 4 months old, but is there a subbed version? Kinda interested in listening to it after listening to the one with Matsui. There might be some gold to dig from this one, too.

I translated about 60-70% of that video for you bro.
"Hai.. Hai..Hai..Hai..."

Translation"
"Yes.. Yes... Yes...."
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-07-27 15:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I really think this is a culture difference of how the people approach the game. I mean look at that interview between the Famitsu guy and Matsui. They're talking about crying at their interactions with trusts and other things that most NA's are like "who the *** cares?" about.

I believe we simply have a disconnect on a cultural level, I think most of the hardcore gamers similar to NA's in the endgame have moved on to 14 from the JP side. So we have the RP's and storyline people, etc. that most influence the game on that side of things. So to them mounts and the like are a big deal.

I don't quite understand those types of players, but I know we do have them over on the NA side, so I'm guessing they're in a higher abundance on the JP side. They're more about the immersion than the gameplay, or something like that.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2016-07-27 16:05:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Not to give Byrth a big head

Joke is on you. I'm Tarutaru.
[+]
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2016-07-27 16:11:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
ibm2431 said: »
For anyone who missed it, the response to the crafting question has been officially confirmed (by the dev team themselves) to have been a mistranslation, and crafting myths are just that:

Quote:
Q: Can you officially confirm the crafting variables? Does direction, day of the week, time of day etc. effect crafting in any way?

A:でません。(フジト)
Fujito: They do not. (edited: 7/26)
yay!

im still facing south east for earth HQ!

Hmm...

It's too late. I've been facing SE for Earth HQ since the game released. I can't change now... No, I wont change now!

I can't. I can't...!!
By Afania 2016-07-27 16:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »

I really think this is a culture difference of how the people approach the game. I mean look at that interview between the Famitsu guy and Matsui. They're talking about crying at their interactions with trusts and other things that most NA's are like "who the *** cares?" about.

I believe we simply have a disconnect on a cultural level, I think most of the hardcore gamers similar to NA's in the endgame have moved on to 14 from the JP side. So we have the RP's and storyline people, etc. that most influence the game on that side of things. So to them mounts and the like are a big deal.

I don't quite understand those types of players, but I know we do have them over on the NA side, so I'm guessing they're in a higher abundance on the JP side. They're more about the immersion than the gameplay, or something like that.

Although my previous hardcore JP endgame ls did move to 14, judging from the amount of elite geared JP I run into everyday, on top of the fact that JP got most of the harder content clear first in past 10 months, I kinda doubt JP are more casual than NAs. Even if they do it's probably because they have higher population.

People like us who visit and post BG and FFXI are minority. Most of NA players don't even visit those websites nor post anything, they only learn how to gear or how a job functions by words of mouth.

Also same type of player tend to play together. Someone who plays FFXI at endgame lv, or into things like hardcore gearing probably won't be in same ls as someone who's into mounts and roleplay.
 Asura.Azriel
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2016-07-27 16:14:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
in same ls as someone who's into mounts and roleplay.

I am offended.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7