BREXIT Just Happened...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » BREXIT Just happened...
BREXIT Just happened...
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 28 29 30
By Odinz 2016-06-26 16:39:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Well its not all doom and gloom - many Brits working outside the UK and paid in another currency did very well overnight. Colleague told me his mortgage just got 20% cheaper.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-06-26 18:15:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lots of Labour leaders are resigning because they do not trust Corbyn.

Quote:
The series of shadow cabinet walkouts began on Sunday morning, hours after Mr Benn was sacked by the Labour leader.
Those resigning are:

Lord Falconer, shadow justice secretary
Chris Bryant, Shadow leader of the House of Commons
Heidi Alexander, shadow health secretary
Lucy Powell, shadow education secretary
Vernon Coaker, shadow Northern Ireland secretary
Ian Murray, shadow Scottish secretary - and Labour's only MP in Scotland
Kerry McCarthy, shadow environment secretary
Seema Malhotra, shadow chief secretary to the Treasury
Lillian Greenwood, shadow transport secretary
Gloria de Piero, shadow minister for young people and voter registration

More Information here
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-06-26 18:22:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The shadow Lina should resign next.

What are these shadow positions? People who aren't public or something?
[+]
By Ruaumoko 2016-06-26 18:30:10
Link | Quote | Reply

There is actually a way this could not go ahead.

If there is a General Election called in October and a party running on a Remain platform wins an outright majority then it is not outside the realms of reality for said party to call both the House of Commons and Lords to vote on leaving or remaining in the European Union. Referendums are not legally binding, but parliamentary elections are.

This is of course going on the assumption that David Cameron will not trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty before he leaves office and that he asks the Queen to call for an election so that his successor will or won't. This is actually probably why Cameron has yet to do invoke Article 50, it's the final get-out clause for Remain and the very last chance to save his legacy.

Regardless, Britain's relationship with the European Union needs to be addressed but it's far easier to affect change inside it than out of it. As it stands and as far as I am concerned any form of a far-right Brexit government has no mandate to govern the interests of the British electorate.
[+]
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-06-26 18:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
The shadow Lina should resign next.

What are these shadow positions? People who aren't public or something?
Shadow ministers are the exact opposite of the Winning Cabernet's room. They are there to kind of oppose the other Cabernet's ideas, they develop alternative Policies etc.
It's also bad because it means all the front benches (The leaders i suppose) are falling apart.
[+]
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-06-26 18:44:53
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a big deal, because it means that the Labour party and the Conservatives (the Tories), are falling apart internally.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-06-26 18:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »

If there is a General Election called in October and a party running on a Remain platform wins an outright majority then it is not outside the realms of reality for said party to call both the House of Commons and Lords to vote on leaving or remaining in the European Union. Referendums are not legally binding, but parliamentary elections are.

This is of course going on the assumption that David Cameron will not trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty before he leaves office and that he asks the Queen to call for an election so that his successor will or won't. This is actually probably why Cameron has yet to do invoke Article 50, it's the final get-out clause for Remain and the very last chance to save his legacy.

Regardless, Britain's relationship with the European Union needs to be addressed but it's far easier to affect change inside it than out of it. As it stands and as far as I am concerned any form of a far-right Brexit government has no mandate to govern the interests of the British electorate.
Well, then there's the EU that want the UK out now, the EU can't expelled the UK by force, can they?
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-06-26 18:47:48
Link | Quote | Reply

No unless all other member states vote for us to leave I guess.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-06-26 18:51:57
Link | Quote | Reply

And even then. It would be very frowned upon.
And with many other states in a similar position (planning on holding votes to leave). Very risky
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-06-26 20:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shadowlina said: »
Somebody found this on the guardian website....
Enjoy your read
wow Shadow... INTERESTING analysis.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-06-26 21:32:47
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Takisan 2016-06-26 23:07:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Beatsbytaru said: »
Takisan said: »
Blazed1979 said: »
To me this is a great day for the people. *** the machine, power to the people. Burn this mfucka down.

A lot of what founded the EU was to stop world wars from happening which I definitely support. Millions and millions of people slaughtering each other on a world scale excluding very few countries is generally a bad thing. I understand sovereignty and identity is important but if brexit can happen then Xexit may also be possible? More walls, more blaming migrates, less communication, and extreme nationalistic leaders feeding on the fears of people helped fuel WWII.

I hope for stabilization and communication. Because literally "Burn this mfucka down" is unfortunately what happened to REAL people. MILLIONS of real people.
I think you're confusing the EU with NATO and really don't know what you're talking about.
Unnecessarily rude to someone you don't even know.

The Schuman Declaration was presented by French foreign minister Robert Schuman on 9 May 1950. It proposed the creation of a European Coal and Steel Community, whose members would pool coal and steel production.

The ECSC (founding members: France, West Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg) was the first of a series of supranational European institutions that would ultimately become today's "European Union".
Historical context

In 1950, the nations of Europe were still struggling to overcome the devastation wrought by World War II, which had ended 5 years earlier.

Determined to prevent another such terrible war, European governments concluded that pooling coal and steel production would – in the words of the Declaration – make war between historic rivals France and Germany "not merely unthinkable, but materially impossible".

It was thought – correctly – that merging of economic interests would help raise standards of living and be the first step towards a more united Europe. Membership of the ECSC was open to other countries.

The EU was essentially born from this Coal and steel community.
http://europa.eu/about-eu/basic-information/symbols/europe-day/schuman-declaration/index_en.htm
[+]
By Odinz 2016-06-26 23:18:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »

If only I could give more +'s to this.
By Odinz 2016-06-27 00:17:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Sargon's reaction to Brexit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vpo9qzsfL4
By ScaevolaBahamut 2016-06-27 00:28:23
Link | Quote | Reply

When someone gets shot in Belfast I hope we remember this *** about taking power back from bureaucrats.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2016-06-27 00:32:03
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem isn't to remain or not anymore, UK has taken a step that they can never come back the same from.

At this point it would probably be more complicated to try to go back to EU than to try to live without, for UK. It's like going back to your ex after you've announced you wanted to leave her/him. It'll never be the same and in the present case, will be met with penalties.

Relationship/EU status may be addressed but it "shouldn't" be in UK's favor given the situation.
[+]
By Odinz 2016-06-27 01:38:56
Link | Quote | Reply

2017 will be the end of

It all makes sense now, the universe is speaking to us.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-06-27 04:40:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Deputy Labour leader Tom Watson tells Jeremy Corbyn to resign, after spate of UK shadow cabinet resignations

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36638041
 Quetzalcoatl.Eradius
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dashuto
By Quetzalcoatl.Eradius 2016-06-27 04:53:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Imagine what it must feel like to be Nigel right now
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2016-06-27 05:02:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shadowlina said: »
Quote:
Deputy Labour leader Tom Watson tells Jeremy Corbyn to resign, after spate of UK shadow cabinet resignations

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36638041
He needs to get rid of Tom Watson, the Labour party is too divided, Corbyn has old Labour centre left views and he has to contest with Blairites who are centre right, Corbyn needs to make a shadow cabinet of those who share his views, there are plenty available and see this as a great opportunity to clean himself of the Blairites.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-06-27 05:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Eradius said: »
Imagine what it must feel like to be Nigel right now
[+]
 Bismarck.Leneth
By Bismarck.Leneth 2016-06-27 05:49:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »

The problem isn't to remain or not anymore, UK has taken a step that they can never come back the same from.

At this point it would probably be more complicated to try to go back to EU than to try to live without, for UK. It's like going back to your ex after you've announced you wanted to leave her/him. It'll never be the same and in the present case, will be met with penalties.

Relationship/EU status may be addressed but it "shouldn't" be in UK's favor given the situation.
I disagree with this. There has no legally step being taken yet.
So far only the voters expressed their opinion, markets have reacted to that opinion, and some brexit campaign arguements have turned out to be lies (money to national health).
If, through whatever methods, the UK decides not to leave (and clearly state so that they will ignore the referendum's outcome), the EU won't punish them.
It's not in our interest to do so. It never was.
Unless the Brexit-guys cry it is punishment not to start negotiations unless article 50 is triggered. There won't be negotiations for an exit unless a government says it will exit.

And even if they pull through the Brexit, I doubt there will be any major punishment. The EU is not stupid, it sees that the youth wants to be inside and won't close the door.
In case of Brexit I think Britain will still has access to the single market, but it won't be part of any decissions. For example, if the EU sets new environmental laws within the EU, Britain won't be able to sell certain products here and if they adapt they will have to pay for licences in order to produce the needed standard (for things like plugs ect.).
They will still have to follow our rules and standards, but have no say in it. That's something they always wanted to avoid, and it will be scary enough so that other countries won't follow that example.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-27 05:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Leneth said: »
the EU won't punish them.
They will never be able to hold the knife in negotiations. They won't call the shots, they won't get special treatment. To be at the mercy of the EU is infact a high price they will pay.
[+]
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-06-27 06:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

'Go back home' Bitter backlash post EU referendum

I'll post the images in spoilers, they are very sensitive. have chosen not to use twitter pictures that directly uses names of normal people, unless they are journalists.

Quote:
Since the EU referendum results revealed the UK voted to leave, people have been compiling reports of racism on social media.
A number of incidents where people have experienced hostility because of the colour of the skin and their ethnic background have been shared online.

Another Article on the same thing here.

=_=

My response is
 Bismarck.Leneth
By Bismarck.Leneth 2016-06-27 06:11:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
They will never be able to hold the knife in negotiations. They won't call the shots, they won't get special treatment. To be at the mercy of the EU is infact a high price they will pay.
I agree that they cannot threaten to leave in negotiations anymore.
If they remain inside, they still need to give their agreement in cases where we need everyone to agree or nothing gets passed. There is more than just a 'leave'-card in european negotiations (at least I hope so).
Not getting a special treatment isn't punishment in my view.

For those who didn't read the posted quote. The quoted line started with 'if Britain remains inside EU'. Just to avoid confusion.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-27 06:14:49
Link | Quote | Reply

This was not what I meant.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2016-06-27 06:22:37
Link | Quote | Reply

anyone else ?
[+]
 Bismarck.Leneth
By Bismarck.Leneth 2016-06-27 06:39:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Than I misunderstood you and you can cross the 'I agree that' part out. I cannot figure out what you mean with 'being at mercy of the EU' in the case the UK decides not to leave then though.
 Asura.Calatilla
Server: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2016-06-27 07:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

So no change then.
[+]
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-06-27 07:59:05
Link | Quote | Reply

You globalist act like it's the end of the world have you lost your minds ?

You do know it's ok for nations to be able to govern themselves right ?

THE SUN IS STILL SHINING THE WORLD IS STILL SPINNING AND TAXES STILL SUCK WHEREVER YOU ARE PUT A SMILE ON YOUR FACE.
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 28 29 30