FFXI not starting after POL
 Quetzalcoatl.Mayuh
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Mayulaa
By Quetzalcoatl.Mayuh 2016-06-15 05:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey,

When i started FFXI, i went through POL and upon launching FFXI, i got a "gathering required information" window asking the path for "Final Fantasy XI.msi".

So i tried to reinstall FFXI/POL as i have a backup for it but when i am reinstallating FFXI, my PC get stuck on "Error 1317. An error occurred while attempting to create the directory [my POL path]FINAL FANTASY XI\ROM\42".

I went through windows restoration process ( from 2 days ago ) and still got this error... i can create a folder in "ROM" one and rename it anything but 42. When i'm trying it comes back to "New Folder" name.

Losing my mind for 3 hours now so any help is welcome ! >_<

Thx !
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2016-06-15 06:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Windows restore doesn't sound good... Sometimes people have problems when they try to install from someone else's online zipped copy thinking they will save time with a faster download. Skjalf purchased / downloaded from Amazon then doing a clean / full install [of the game] and has never has any trouble doing it that way.
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Slyshen1
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2016-06-15 06:37:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You can download the game on FFXI Official Website, no need to use Amazon. Also, when is the last time FFXI worked for you, and what have you done differently?
 Quetzalcoatl.Mayuh
By Quetzalcoatl.Mayuh 2016-06-15 06:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

That's the thing, it worked yesterday and i just shatdown my PC. No actions before or in between my 2 last playing sessions.
By Jetackuu 2016-06-15 07:30:48
Link | Quote | Reply

What A/V are you using? Have you tried temporarily disabling it?

Have you run a disk check to see if your drive is failing?
 Quetzalcoatl.Mayuh
By Quetzalcoatl.Mayuh 2016-06-15 09:40:52
Link | Quote | Reply

This PC is only used for FFXI so A/V not running 24/7 and i turned it off. Got the same issue.

Checkdisk is reporting nothing wrong.
By Jetackuu 2016-06-15 09:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I would probably do a sfc /scannow in cl, probably nothing wrong, run a quick a/v or malware check, just to cover the basis.

I'd also uninstall fully, including deleting the entire folders if leftover from uninstall, and cleaning the registry keys (if you uninstall/delete folders running ccleaner should do the rest).

Reboot and try to reinstall from the full download from playonline.com

If that still gives the same error, I'm not certain, maybe a permissions issue.
 Quetzalcoatl.Mayuh
By Quetzalcoatl.Mayuh 2016-06-15 09:59:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Scans from both A/V and Anti malware were empty.

Already uninstalled w/ registry cleaning the remaining keys and it doesn't help. What piss me off is the error coming from nowhere as i'm only using FFXI on that PC and only started FFXI in the past week or so...

Already checked permissions for folders, not sure where to look for now...
 Quetzalcoatl.Mayuh
By Quetzalcoatl.Mayuh 2016-06-15 16:22:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I managed to reinstall via a POL/FFXI up-to-date folders copy i have on my other HDD and registry keys method.

POL is launching... and FFXI launcher too !
We start by a files check and i got an error message as "ROM/42/20.DAT" couldn't be created.

Problem is, i don't have any folder "42" under the path "\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\ROM" on my 2 saves ( 1 week old ones ) on 2 different HDD.
And windows refuses to rename any folder ANYWHERE on my disks as "42". ( works with anything else )

No antivirus running, router's port are open, "sfc /scannow" for the 2nd time and repaired some idex/files without much change on FFXI update...

I cannot create a folder "42" either, as windows is deleting it right away once i renamed it...
Anyone care to help and check if you got one because i'm on the edge of dying here. @___@
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2016-06-15 19:12:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
POL-1153 Error Message During the Version Update
Just in case anyone else has trouble with the 5/09/11 update...

If you're on a PC and get the POL-1153 error during the update (data verification) process, you can fix this by shutting down the POL viewer, then deleting the patch.ver file in the Program Files/PlayOnline/SquareEnix/Final Fantasy XI folder on your hard drive and then restarting the update process.

Happy Version Update Day! w00taru!

Elennar (Lakshmi)

(Source: "http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/7354-POL-1153-Error-Message-During-the-Version-Update" POL-1153 - Error Message)
 Cerberus.Stereo
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Stereo 2016-06-15 20:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I clicked on this thinking it was the "Pics that make you LOL" thread..
carry on.
 Quetzalcoatl.Mayuh
By Quetzalcoatl.Mayuh 2016-06-16 03:28:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Thx for the suggestion Slyshen but i already went there. ^^;

It's not a FFXI/POL issue in the end. My Windows 7 won't let me rename ANY folder to "42": it either delete the folder when i'm doing so or an error "the file or folder does not exist" pop up.

I didn't find a workaround and might just reinstall WIN7 hoping for this to be fixed.

Thanks a lot for the help. >_<
By Jetackuu 2016-06-16 07:13:23
Link | Quote | Reply

How about instead of copy/pasting the folder to actually run the installer?

But it sounds like the filesystem may be corrupt, may require a reformat.
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2016-06-16 10:32:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you on the administrator account, or are you sure that you have the correct privileges to be able to modify things on your PC? Maybe it has something to do with your UAC(User Account Controls.)
 Quetzalcoatl.Mayuh
By Quetzalcoatl.Mayuh 2016-06-17 06:47:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
But it sounds like the filesystem may be corrupt, may require a reformat.

I think it's WIN7 which ****ed at some point during FFXI install as i could create a folder ( managed to different types of 42 files ) which was named "42" anywhere on all my disk. I got the same with UAC on/off as i tried that also before formating my disk.

Format + new install -> no issue with the same folder and just entering registry keys. Thx everyone. ^^
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [31 days between previous and next post]
 Bahamut.Samunai
Server: Bahamut
user: Samunai
By Bahamut.Samunai 2016-07-18 06:49:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Mayuh said: »
Thx for the suggestion Slyshen but i already went there. ^^;

It's not a FFXI/POL issue in the end. My Windows 7 won't let me rename ANY folder to "42": it either delete the folder when i'm doing so or an error "the file or folder does not exist" pop up.

I didn't find a workaround and might just reinstall WIN7 hoping for this to be fixed.

Thanks a lot for the help. >_<

i have the same problem but then with Rom\2 and it wont let me name any file '2' ... and i cannot delete 'ROM' folder... not sure how you fixed your problem. reinstalling my windows is not an option for me ... i already unsubscribed 11 now bc i cannot seem to get this work for the passed 3 days :\ so i hope you can give me some insight/help/solution
By Jetackuu 2016-07-18 09:39:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Samunai said: »
reinstalling my windows is not an option for me

Why not?
 Bahamut.Samunai
By Bahamut.Samunai 2016-07-18 09:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

ive bought this PC from my local hardward store and it came fully installed, but they never gave me an installation CD for whenever I have to reinstall windows... my windows is Legit and all...but no cd >< all i could ever do is go to the original restore point i suppose. but idk if that is possible bc i mirrored my OS from my HD to my SSD.... letssss say i can do a think or 2 but thats it hehe
By Jetackuu 2016-07-18 10:02:40
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have a product key you can try to download it from their site, if that doesn't work PM me.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7
 Bahamut.Samunai
By Bahamut.Samunai 2016-07-18 10:10:42
Link | Quote | Reply

update - i somehow managed to delete the folders with the corrupted files\ROM folders. and how i deleted them? i just named them after trying over and over '2' .and they vanished.

i tried to install FFXI on both SSD and HD but both gave the same error for ROM\2\0.dat ><

gonna try again. did a disk clean up thing just now. 2 days ago i already did chkds thing in cmd so im running out of options here. also doing some 'permission' work ... for my user (which is the administrator). searching on google for error code 1317
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-07-18 10:11:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly I run into this issue probably once every 6 months on my laptop. Rebooting all of windows, and doing a clean reset of ffxi seems to always fix the issue. Sometimes Virus scan software blocks very critical functions of ffxi (I recall Kaspersky and trend always seemed to monitor ffxi launch as a virus, and would immediately force it into a "blocked list".

I would recommend turning off your virus software (or at least allow pol/ffxi through your firewall and add it to the exceptions list) so you don't run into this issue in the future.

edit: turn it off on launch and allow its permissions
By Mangosnickz 2016-07-18 10:20:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Mayuh said: »
That's the thing, it worked yesterday and i just shatdown my PC.

I don't suggest shitting down your pc man, it'll smell
[+]
 Bahamut.Samunai
By Bahamut.Samunai 2016-07-18 12:55:46
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have a product key you can try to download it from their site, if that doesn't work PM me.

mm ill see if that works for me. stay on on the line~ ;)
 Bahamut.Samunai
By Bahamut.Samunai 2016-07-18 13:12:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Samunai said: »

mm ill see if that works for me. stay on on the line~ ;)

ill do it tomorrow. i dont have a gb usb atm of 4gb... my phone is broken -.-; one heck of a weekend........ tomorrow it will be repaired and usb will be returned w/ its files and ill be able to dump the ISO on it ^^; will be continued........
By Jetackuu 2016-07-18 14:02:50
Link | Quote | Reply

k