980 Ti Crashing..

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » 980 Ti crashing..
980 Ti crashing..
By Lariae 2016-06-14 03:20:48
Link | Quote | Reply

An update on this, in case anyone else is having trouble.. Yesterday i went into the nvidia settings and changed the default power setting from "Optimal Power" to "Prefer maximum performance" and I have not had a driver crash since. If it happens again I'll update again, but till then this seems to have helped/or solved it.
By Farroh 2016-06-14 04:26:42
Link | Quote | Reply

my pol and driver crashes from time to time. i have the 970 card. ill test this out.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [69 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Frankbrodie
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Frankbrodie 2016-08-22 11:59:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I resubbed for nostalgia a couple of weeks back. And am having my new comp with a 980ti crash on me for the first time/s ever.

It went for the first 3-4 days without a hiccup. But since then has bombed the entire comp at regular intervals. A full shut down of the comp happens when it decides to go. It self reboots up fine.

Totally random times. I've turned off shadows, all effects, weather, run without Windower, run Windows 7 for performance etc. It has still randomly just gone URK! on me after a short or long while.

Just now tried that Nvidia control panel thing for the "prefer maximum performance" and will see how that goes.

There seems no actual rhyme nor reason for where it will do it to me.
I've been mega nuking a mob and it's gone pop. Or afk chatting to someone with my character standing at an npc shop.
It's gone whilst calling out a trust. And also whilst clicking on a Home Point ready to warp.
It's gone TWICE in short succession in Rhapsodies cut scenes on me. BOTH times where I was going to recieve a cipher so I had to look online how to progress. 5 minutes wasted np as such but still.
 Asura.Thorva
Server: Asura
user: Thorva
By Asura.Thorva 2016-08-22 12:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds more like a driver issue than a gpu issue. Try rolling back the driver, if that doesn't work try booting the game off the built in cpu graphics processor, won't be as fancy running intel hd # but it will be functional and should do fine an pretty much anything dual core 2.4 ghz or higher and a decent amount of ram.
 Remora.Frylock
Server: Remora
user: Fryman
By Remora.Frylock 2016-08-22 13:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

This sort of thing happens a lot when playing a very non-demanding game. The gpu is set to save power when not in use, and it thinks its not in use while ffxi is running, because well to the 980ti its like running minesweeper. So it goes into idle/power saving mode. Then when ffxi decides to need a tiny bit more performance from the card at some random time, the card cant react fast enough and switch out of power save, so it crashes. Happens with alot of games, changing to "Prefer Optimal Performance" is advised for everyone to turn on, just to stop this from happening.
 Phoenix.Frankbrodie
By Phoenix.Frankbrodie 2016-08-22 20:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Well it stayed in all night after changing that in the Nvidia panel so that's promising.

See more the next few days.

But definitely [Thank You] for the ideas everyone.
 Asura.Neufko
Server: Asura
user: siskotaru
By Asura.Neufko 2016-08-23 03:46:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Same card here and changing to Prefer Optimal Performance didn't fix anything.

For me, it's only happening when i'm dual boxing, and only 1 car will crash at a time. Most of the time, it's the second one I logged in that crashes.

Just like Frankbrodie, it's all random and can happen anywhere. Even if it's more likely to happen in some specific zones. Like I can't do x2 morta with my both toons without crashing.
 Odin.Razorfang
Server: Odin
user: Lyndonn
By Odin.Razorfang 2016-08-23 05:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

adjust the voltage on the graphics card using xprecision or afterburner from 100 > 110 and take 30 clock mhz off it this fixed the old 660ti when it had this issue
 leo
By leo 2016-08-23 07:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

As a heads up, I remember that UAC popups make FFXI force exit to POL as if detected focus loss in full screen mode. (that happens on vanilla SE windowed mode or full screen regardless... Not sure what is the behavior with windower)

I loathe UAC so I have it disabled even on W10.
 Phoenix.Frankbrodie
By Phoenix.Frankbrodie 2016-08-23 09:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, UAC thing popping up has always crashed FFXI as 'application has closed' or whatever it says. Even with Windower.