980 Ti Crashing..

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » 980 Ti crashing..
980 Ti crashing..
First Page 2
By Lariae 2016-06-12 16:47:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I bought this card to run my HTC Vive, but ever since installing it the video drivers will crash. Sometimes it crashes out of the game and recovers, and other times I have to hard reboot my PC. I've heard of others with this card having this issue but has anyone yet solved it? This is making alexandrite farming impossible (Due to getting kicked out by the time i get back in ...)
 Asura.Wickedbass
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Wickedbass 2016-06-12 17:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

What os? And driver version?
By Lariae 2016-06-12 17:14:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Windows 7, and im using the latest drivers (368.39). I've tried running FFXI in the graphic compatability mdoe as well thats in the setup and that doesnt help.
VIP
By Kalila 2016-06-12 17:17:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you wipe the drivers before/after installing the card? You need to do that or it will cause errors like that.

The moment I installed mine it happened, I did a fresh install of windows and it worked fine. I only later found out that wiping the drivers was also a possible solution.

<~ new to computer building so forgive me if that was obvious
By Lariae 2016-06-12 17:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Wipe the drivers? What do you mean? Of my old R9? If so no I didn't do that.. not even sure how I could do that.
VIP
By Kalila 2016-06-12 17:20:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I did it recently when I installed a 2nd video card for SLI. I used a program called Display Driver Uninstaller. It takes you into safemode and uninstalls them there, which I guess is more efficient.

I'll try to find a link.
 Carbuncle.Snoochybooch
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Snoochybooch 2016-06-12 17:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Roll that bad boy back

Use those instructions to roll back to a driver set that didn't crash you.
VIP
By Kalila 2016-06-12 17:22:16
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=273

link fixed
By Lariae 2016-06-12 17:25:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Snoochy- When i installed the card, I went online to download the drivers (did not use the disc). So there's nothing for me to roll back to. Prior to installing the GTX 980 i had an R9 285 or something in here.
VIP
By Kalila 2016-06-12 17:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I honestly think you should try removing your display drivers, especially since you have two completely different types of drivers now, and it would best if you just had the one Nvidia driver.

After you wipe them then go back to download the drivers online again and see if it makes a difference.

Worst case is that it doesn't do anything different.
VIP
By Kalila 2016-06-12 17:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, I fixed the link. Apparently it doesn't like the direct link.
By Lariae 2016-06-12 17:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I uninstalled the R9 drivers. Will see how it goes from here.
VIP
By Kalila 2016-06-12 17:39:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Good luck Lariae, I hope it works for you.
 Asura.Wickedbass
By Asura.Wickedbass 2016-06-12 17:46:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I would remove drivers and use an older set
By Lariae 2016-06-12 18:38:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope still crashed.. This time in Einherjar
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2016-06-12 19:34:16
Link | Quote | Reply

May try turning off shadows and effects and such in-game as well. I had to do that after getting my GTX 670 to avoid crashing, though I'd thought they'd largely fixed it. It didn't ever crash the entire PC though. Is this something that's exclusive to FFXI?

I've still seen occasional display driver crashes with XI, when basically nothing else has had problems.

May also want to try stock clocks if you're OC'ing or something too.
By Lariae 2016-06-12 19:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I havent tried overclocking the card. I just bought it not even a week ago. It only occurs in FFXI that I've noticed.. my VR games work fine. Admittedly i havent played much else besides those since I got it.
 Carbuncle.Tyrr
user: Jaha
By Carbuncle.Tyrr 2016-06-12 19:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Mine does this often as well since new graphics card(980 non ti). From what I've got out of it (calling GeForce) is that the card is timing out because of inactivity. Of course they was probably just trying to get me off the phone each time because they wasn't worried about it crashing a game that was 14 years old. It doesn't do it on anything but FFXI and turning off shadows and weather seems to help but still does it occasionally. If you do happen to fix it though please let me know how.
[+]
 Sylph.Knala
Server: Sylph
user: nala
By Sylph.Knala 2016-06-12 20:28:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably a dumb question but it's only crashing during high loads right?

Have you tried any high performance games just to see if it's crashing else where?

A thought that comes to mind is perhaps, is your power source insufficient?
By Lariae 2016-06-12 20:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

It just crashes at random times, not during high load.. In fact even dual boxing its like less than 20% load most times. I play VR games in max setting with no frame rate loss, Overwatch, ect.. No problems. Just this game.
 Carbuncle.Snoochybooch
By Carbuncle.Snoochybooch 2016-06-12 20:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Old drivers for Nvidia

With this link, just put in your card type, OS, and hit search, it will pull up all the old drivers. It may or may not help using older drivers. Hope this helps!
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2016-06-12 20:54:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Obligatory stop trying to play FFXI on your calculator.
By Jetackuu 2016-06-12 20:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

What exactly is happening when it crashes? Any particular event? effect? what are you doing otherwise on the computer? etc.
By Lariae 2016-06-13 00:01:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Its happened essentially anywhere in FFXI, I'll just be playing the game. One time it happened while AOEing all of the gears on 4f SSR2, one time it happened while I was alt tabbed reading a website, another time it happened just before I entered einherjar. It seems pretty random.

What happens is one of two things. Either FFXI will crash suddenly and the POL viewer will black screen, i'll get the POL closed error from windows and it will close and I am able to relog in, or whats worse is the entire screen will go black, my monitor will act as though its lost connection, and I wont be able to get back without hard restarting the computer.
By Lariae 2016-06-13 00:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ive had this problem before with other graphics cards in the past (Not on this computer or recently) And i think It's always been attributed to the graphics driver suddenly crashing. So I'm fairly certain that is the problem. Why It's crashing is another story.. No idea, or if there is a way to remedy it.
By Felgarr 2016-06-13 00:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

For a card to suddenly lose video like that, seems strange. Could there be a power issue? (What wattage does your PSU have and whats the TDP wattage of your graphics card)?

Also, when I upgraded from my GTX 550Ti to my 980 Ti, I was able to reduce crashing from hours to days by uninstalling and re-installing graphics card drivers (with a reboot in between).

Also, this is what really helped too: There is a setting in Windows 7, when you right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Performance.

I changed "Let Windows Decide what's best for my computer" to "Adjust for best performance". I haven't had a crash since I changed that setting and I run for days on end.
By Lariae 2016-06-13 01:08:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a 1050w power supply. And I would think that if it were power related it would occur on more than just FFXI - especially the games I play that are more graphics intensive than this. I believe it is driver related, and I can try downgrading the drivers as others have suggested, but a more extensive search on this problem has shown that some other people are having similar issues with this card on other games.
 Fenrir.Kut
Server: Fenrir
user: Kutsurabi
By Fenrir.Kut 2016-06-13 04:26:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe a stupid idea, but try running without Windower if you are. Or, unload as many plugins/addons as you can while maintaining your sanity.
By Miang 2016-06-13 04:48:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe try stress testing your computer to rule out hardware issues?
FurMark
RealBench (Download link near the top)

Also what model is the 1050w power supply? 1050 watts is probably twice as much as you need unless you're using SLI, but the more important factor in PSUs is the quality of the output. Cheaper power supplies are prone to current ripple and power spikes which can cause all sorts of problems.

Finally have you looked at your windows event viewer to see what the error report is actually saying about why it crashed? It might have some hints as to how to solve the issue.
By Lariae 2016-06-13 12:52:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Event viewer posts "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered". Miang I'm not entirely sure without opening it but it wasn't an off brand or cheap.. It is gold rated.
First Page 2