Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Building the Best PC for Overwatch
Building the Best PC for Overwatch
 Siren.Akson
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: AKs0n
By Siren.Akson 2016-06-10 19:19:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I dont own a gaming desktop but am considering the option pending final cost of playing PC overwatch over PS4.
I came across this information and...
Now considering buying this since I dont want to build my own PC.
http://alienware.com/mobile/desktops.aspx
Any suggestions would be helpful.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-06-10 19:28:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I dont want to build my own PC.
Do it anyway. I know you don't want to hear it, still some of the best advice you're going to get on this subject.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2016-06-10 20:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want a pre-built, I would suggest shopping around, as Alienware is criminally overpriced. Sometimes you can find a good deal where manufacturers like Dell and HP unload last years models for near the price of what it would take to build one with similar features. What is usually the case, however, is that these models rarely have good graphics cards in them, and models with good graphics cards in them rarely go on sale. Buying a pre-built and adding your own graphics card into it is thus a viable option and not nearly as involved as building the whole PC.

That said, building a PC is like LEGOs for adults. It's not as complex as it sounds and things are typically designed such that there's only one possible way it could even fit. You also end up with no more and no less than what you paid for, with the added satisfaction of seeing something through to fruition.
[+]
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2016-06-10 20:41:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Quote:
Do it anyway. I know you don't want to hear it, still some of the best advice you're going to get on this subject.
Problem is that idk how to. I know absolutely zilch on the subject and would be forced to wing it as I go along which might dmg something expensive. Is what Im concerned about most.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-06-10 20:49:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Akson said: »
Quote:
Problem is that idk how to. I know absolutely zilch on the subject and would be forced to wing it as I go along which might dmg something expensive. Is what Im concerned about most.

Great chance to learn! Watch some youtube videos, do a little research before plunking down bucks on a pre-built rig.

The main reason I would steer you away from Alienware is because I honestly don't know how their customer service is these days, or how they handle repairs. If something simple needs to be swapped out, do they require you to send the whole rig in etc.

HONESTLY if you are getting a computer JUST to play Overwatch, and you completely are opposed to building a rig and are going to go pre-built... get a PS4 or Xbone instead. You will save a lot of money and heartache that way.

I can, with most certainty say, that for the price of a PS4 you will NOT get a worthwhile PC that will have the same life-span as the PS4 would.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-06-10 20:53:32
Link | Quote | Reply

First thing you do is decide on the CPU you want to use. Reason you want to start with the CPU is that it will dictate what type of motherboard, ram, gpu and psu options you have.

For instance the rig I built a couple of months ago:

CPU: I5 6600
M/O: H170 mini atx
Ram: 2100 MHZ DDR4 8GBx2 (16GB total)
GPU: GTX 960 4GB
PSU: 750 Gold (overkill)

I also use a 128GB SSD as a boot drive and 2 1TB Western Digital Blues HDDs for storage. Its a little beast to say the least but not top of the line by far.
[+]
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2016-06-10 20:59:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Grumpy Cat said: »
I can, with most certainty say, that for the price of a PS4 you will NOT get a worthwhile PC that will have the same life-span as the PS4 would.
Yeah Im on PS4 atm and have alrdy blown 400 extra as is just to play using kb+mouse over controller. Just thinking that the more serious players and competition exists on PC. Im enjoying PS4 Overwatch but I spent the vast majority of my time playing FFXI from the XB360 Beta up until last year when I went laptop. I want the best experience possible that I can afford.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-06-10 21:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Akson said: »
Quote:
If you can put together IKEA furniture, you can probably assemble a computer. It really is that easy, and everything comes with a manual that you can fall back on.

There's not that many parts involved, and they're all set up where it's pretty hard to install them wrong. Case, motherboard, power supply, CPU, CPU cooler (and thermal paste), graphics card, RAM, storage (SSD/HD in whatever quantity and combination you desire), and whatever peripherals you add (CD/Blu-ray drives etc). Kongming's Lego analogy is on point. The hardest part of building a rig is easily cable management (organization/airflow), especially if your case doesn't have adequate cable routing options.

I certainly didn't have a clue before I built my first rig. Most people don't. Can't learn if you don't take the leap from "I don't know how" to "How do I?" though.
[+]
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2016-06-10 21:11:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a 48" Samsung SUHD and ofc wouldnt mind playing with 4K resolution yet those prices listed almost double the cost of my TV itself. If anything I'd be looking more into spending around 700-1000 and wait on prices to lower. I can live w/ 1080p. My PS4 is amazing looking running 1080p alrdy. Undecided I guess... Idk if I should just stick with PS4 or not
Server: Hyperion
user: mikuu
By Hatsune Miku 2016-06-10 22:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.logicalincrements.com/
By Hatsune Miku 2016-06-10 22:25:36
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.logicalincrements.com/games/overwatch
Server: Excalibur
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-06-10 22:29:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Those are in the OP Miku...
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2016-06-10 22:32:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Last 10 or so years have made building PCs foolsproof. Aside from an amazing *** with static buildup (hard to do) or bending the CPU pins it's really hard to break or do something wrong. All the holes have specifically shaped pegs now.
By Hatsune Miku 2016-06-10 22:35:13
Link | Quote | Reply

too long didnt read lmao

anyways i'd trust li is my point
 Bismarck.Speedyjim
Server: Bismarck
user: speedyjim
By Bismarck.Speedyjim 2016-06-10 22:45:51
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.pcpartpicker.com is your buddy.

I also recommend watching YT videos on how to build. I was like you, intimidated by building my own PC, until I finally did it last summer. Let me tell you, it was the best decision. Build went smoothly, just like playing with Lego's.

Edit: Take the time to research YT videos on the parts too. Lots of videos available, like "Best PC for under xx dollars". Can watch many of them and compare.
[+]
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2016-06-10 23:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

stick with ps4 until next year, new gpus are coming out and if you want to build something new, AMD zen (next gen amd cpu's) and amd vega (next gen high end amd gpu's) will be out.

be future proof, be smart. wait :)

also; I would make sure that 4k tv is at least 60hz before attempting to play on it for pc, otherwise you are just better off sticking with ps4.

if you want me to pick some parts out for you, pm me your budget and I'll do a build for you to go off of. but you still need to do some research before you click buy. Like most have said, It's really not hard to build your own pc, and once you do you will never look back.
[+]
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2016-06-10 23:28:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Thx everyone for the input. I think this is exactly what I needed to see. Need to find something within my price range then just decide whether or not it's worth it compared to PS4. Waiting seems to be the best answer atm until 4k is not as pricey.