Maximizing Helix
First Page 2
 Fenrir.Brimstonefox
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Brimstone
By Fenrir.Brimstonefox 2016-06-01 10:33:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The guide says to focus on Mdmg for Helix. I assume INT, Macc and MAB are important as well just less so? Is there any generic rule of thumb trade off where one of the other stats could outweigh Mdmg?

I'm wondering if there are any updated sets for this? I'd prefer both a basic (ie no random augments required) and an 'ideal' set (ie as much perferct augments)

Also it possible to extend the duration via gear at all (augment, even dark matter)?

Thanks
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2016-06-01 14:43:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Brimstonefox said: »
The guide says to focus on Mdmg for Helix. I assume INT, Macc and MAB are important as well just less so? Is there any generic rule of thumb trade off where one of the other stats could outweigh Mdmg?

I'm wondering if there are any updated sets for this? I'd prefer both a basic (ie no random augments required) and an 'ideal' set (ie as much perferct augments)

Also it possible to extend the duration via gear at all (augment, even dark matter)?

Thanks

I haven't played in a while, so I can answer the overall question of best gear for damage. However, it is possible to increase the duration via gear. The JSE Cape Bookworms Cape can be augmented with Refraction Crystals, to gain Helix Duration +10~20 seconds.

As far as damage goes. The damage from the initial nuke can exceed 10,000dmg. However the DOT damage does cap at ~10,000.
 Seraph.Jacaut
Server: Seraph
user: Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2016-06-13 18:03:42
Link | Quote | Reply

i wouldnt mind some newer gear sets too, best i can do is 4-7k and thats MB'ing would like to push it higher. are people hitting 10k DoT w/o using modus?
 Bahamut.Neb
Server: Bahamut
user: Neb
By Bahamut.Neb 2016-06-13 18:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

If you are using gearswap make sure you add all the Helix II spells to the Mote-Mappings Lua too or you wont gear swap I had that problem for a while wondering why my dmg sucked so bad.
By Chimerawizard 2016-06-13 19:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember that helix spells was one of the types not changed when the elemental magic adjustments happened.

FFXIAH/Helix II testing
BG Random facts thread about helix M value.

So, @dINT < 79, M=1 <verification>
@ 78 < dINT < 211, M=0.5 <verification>
@ dINT > 210, M=0 <verification>
V= 125 <verification>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know this did not answer your question directly, but hopefully it will assist in determining what is the BiS for whatever gear is on hand and help determine what to focus on for improvement.
 Asura.Toralin
Server: Asura
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-06-13 20:18:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-06-13 20:21:45
Link | Quote | Reply

With Geo assistance 10k shouldn't be to hard on any mob
 Seraph.Jacaut
Server: Seraph
user: Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2016-06-19 09:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Neb said: »
If you are using gearswap make sure you add all the Helix II spells to the Mote-Mappings Lua too or you wont gear swap I had that problem for a while wondering why my dmg sucked so bad.

^^b fixed thanks gonna check this out lol im sure itll help a lot
By Kisagotami 2016-06-19 10:58:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I was testing Helix II not to long ago and I found that V = 124, M = 1 and dINT caps at 100.
[+]
 Asura.Alkk
user: Alkai
By Asura.Alkk 2016-06-19 12:25:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Would anyone be kind enough to show their gearset they use to hit 10k?
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-06-20 09:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 341515

Also could swap Body/Legs with Merlinic/Amalric+1 depending on Augments
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [43 days between previous and next post]
By Murisia 2016-08-02 11:24:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Neb said: »

How exactly do I do this lol I've noticed my helix II are barely hitting 4k sometimes lol
 Lakshmi.Ashtopcat
Server: Lakshmi
user: ashtopcat
By Lakshmi.Ashtopcat 2016-08-02 11:51:40
Link | Quote | Reply

windower 4 > addons > gearswap > libs> mote-mappings

line 194 should be the helices (just add the t2s)
Code
['Pyrohelix']='Helix',['Cryohelix']='Helix',['Anemohelix']='Helix',['Geohelix']='Helix',['Ionohelix']='Helix',['Hydrohelix']='Helix',['Luminohelix']='Helix',['Noctohelix']='Helix',
    ['Firestorm']='Storm',['Hailstorm']='Storm',['Windstorm']='Storm',['Sandstorm']='Storm',['Thunderstorm']='Storm',['Rainstorm']='Storm',['Aurorastorm']='Storm',['Voidstorm']='Storm',
	['Pyrohelix II']='Helix',['Cryohelix II']='Helix',['Anemohelix II']='Helix',['Geohelix II']='Helix',['Ionohelix II']='Helix',['Hydrohelix II']='Helix',['Luminohelix II']='Helix',['Noctohelix II']='Helix',
    ['Firestorm II']='Storm',['Hailstorm II']='Storm',['Windstorm II']='Storm',['Sandstorm II']='Storm',['Thunderstorm II']='Storm',['Rainstorm II']='Storm',['Aurorastorm II']='Storm',['Voidstorm II']='Storm',
By Murisia 2016-08-02 12:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Ashtopcat said: »

Code
['Pyrohelix']='Helix',['Cryohelix']='Helix',['Anemohelix']='Helix',['Geohelix']='Helix',['Ionohelix']='Helix',['Hydrohelix']='Helix',['Luminohelix']='Helix',['Noctohelix']='Helix',
    ['Firestorm']='Storm',['Hailstorm']='Storm',['Windstorm']='Storm',['Sandstorm']='Storm',['Thunderstorm']='Storm',['Rainstorm']='Storm',['Aurorastorm']='Storm',['Voidstorm']='Storm',
	['Pyrohelix II']='Helix',['Cryohelix II']='Helix',['Anemohelix II']='Helix',['Geohelix II']='Helix',['Ionohelix II']='Helix',['Hydrohelix II']='Helix',['Luminohelix II']='Helix',['Noctohelix II']='Helix',
    ['Firestorm II']='Storm',['Hailstorm II']='Storm',['Windstorm II']='Storm',['Sandstorm II']='Storm',['Thunderstorm II']='Storm',['Rainstorm II']='Storm',['Aurorastorm II']='Storm',['Voidstorm II']='Storm',

Thank you. This should help a great deal
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-08-02 13:04:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry, carry on.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [32 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Ramsy
user: Ramsy
By Asura.Ramsy 2016-09-03 11:21:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Toralin said: »
ItemSet 341515

Also could swap Body/Legs with Merlinic/Amalric+1 depending on Augments
Wondering if anyone can point my in the right direction about helix damage. I currently use a set like this one above but I use nq hands and I barely hit over 5k damage. ahould
I be focusing on matb and Magic damage on merl set for helix or should i just focus on matb/macc/mb%?
 Bahamut.Boogerballs
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Boogerballs 2016-09-03 11:28:05
Link | Quote | Reply

use weather that matches the element of the helix being casted. by doing this u can use hachirin-no-obi and that will help some. also make sure you are using Ebullience. do those 2 things and u should hit cap helix easily.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-09-03 11:31:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Helix spells always receive day/weather bonus w/o Elemental Obis. Don't need to use it for them.
[+]
 Asura.Boogerballs
By Asura.Boogerballs 2016-09-03 11:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

i didnt know that but it seems to help me
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2016-09-04 07:30:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Ashtopcat said: »

Code

Just wanted to a add a useful tidbit to this already extremely helpful post: it's possible to set Nocto and Lumino to their own separate categories so you can pop in affinity gear for those (Pixie Hairpin +1, Archon Ring, Weatherspoon Ring).

Code
['Luminohelix']='LightHelix',['Noctohelix']='DarkHelix',['Luminohelix II']='LightHelix',['Noctohelix II']='DarkHelix',
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2016-09-04 09:46:38
Link | Quote | Reply

how about the "Hachirin-no-Obi" ?

Isn't that better than the "Refoccilation Stone" ?
By Verda 2016-09-04 10:41:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kuroganashi said: »
how about the "Hachirin-no-Obi" ?

Isn't that better than the "Refoccilation Stone" ?
Basically this:
Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Helix spells always receive day/weather bonus w/o Elemental Obis. Don't need to use it for them.
 Asura.Alkk
By Asura.Alkk 2016-09-04 13:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone know how to make my elemental magic rule not apply if it's a helix then? Currently using

Quote:
if spell.skill == 'Elemental Magic' then
if spell.element == world.day_element or spell.element == world.weather_element then
equip({waist="Hachirin-no-Obi"})
add_to_chat(8,'----- Obi Equipped. -----')
end
end
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2016-09-04 14:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Alkk said: »
Anyone know how to make my elemental magic rule not apply if it's a helix then? Currently using

Quote:
if spell.skill == 'Elemental Magic' then
if spell.element == world.day_element or spell.element == world.weather_element then
equip({waist="Hachirin-no-Obi"})
add_to_chat(8,'----- Obi Equipped. -----')
end
end

Can you post your whole file? Hard to tell just with that little bit.
 Odin.Lygre
Server: Odin
user: Dylaudid
By Odin.Lygre 2016-09-04 14:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Code
function job_post_midcast(spell, action, spellMap, eventArgs)
	if spell.action_type == 'Magic' then
		apply_grimoire_bonuses(spell, action, spellMap, eventArgs)
	   if spell.skill == 'Elemental Magic' and spell.english ~= 'Impact' then
			if (spell.element == world.day_element or spell.element == world.weather_element) and not string.find(spell.english,'helix') then
				equip(sets.Obi)
			end
			if state.MagicBurst.value then
				equip(sets.magic_burst) 
			end
	   end
	end
end

I think this should work. Assuming you are using Mote's include, have tier 2 helices added to mappings, have a helix midcast set, magic_burst set, and sets.Obi (containing obi and any other weather/day gear) defined. Mote includes a way to handle this, but requires putting more code in more places.
[+]
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-09-06 07:36:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Code
	if spell.skill == 'Elemental Magic' and (string.find(spell.english,'helix')) then 
	equipSet = set_combine(equipSet,{
				waist="Refoccilation Stone",
				back="Bookworm's cape"})
	end
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-09-06 07:38:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Just curious if anyone knows how the +duration on helix works. I assume maybe its +seconds and the "tocs" are 1 every 5 seconds? Purely speculating
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-09-06 07:53:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Tocks are every ~10 seconds, as opposed to the ~3 seconds ticks.
I'm not sure myself how the duration works. Is there actually something, other than the JSE cape, that increases duration for Helix?
Aside from Traits/Gifts/Abilities of couse.

So Helix+20 is +20 seconds hence two more tocs?
I doubt it's a % bonus.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but when you compare the +20 Duration cape vs a Lugh with +30int/+20Macc/+20Mdmg/+10Mab the formula should be something like this:

Can your helix reach 10k without Lugh's cape?
1) No => Use Lugh
2) Yes => Go next question

Will the target you're casting Helix on die before the ~2 additional tocss take effect?
1) Yes => Use Lugh or whatever else really
2) No => Go next question

Does the target you're casting Helix on have a mechanic that erases the Helix effect?
1) Yes => Use Lugh (or whatever else!)
2) No => Can use JSE cape

Basically if you can't reliably reach 10k (or very close to it) then Lugh will probably often be the best choice.
If you can easily reach 10k without Lugh then you can use JSE, but chances are on such target it won't really matter.

Anybody agrees with that? It's just an opinion I wrote, I have no math data to support it and it's likely very biased.
By Antisense 2016-09-06 08:10:25
Link | Quote | Reply

It's probably analogous to Regen effect duration (add up to 20 seconds).
 Asura.Alkk
By Asura.Alkk 2016-09-06 09:20:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the suggestions, Lygre's code worked perfectly
First Page 2