Random Politics & Religion #06

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #06
Random Politics & Religion #06
First Page 2 ... 34 35 36
By Ackeron 2016-05-30 07:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Node 285

Happy Memorial Day.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-05-30 09:36:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Taking bets on when this thread is locked.

I'm betting 500 FFXIAH Gems that it's locked between June 3rd through the 6th.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-05-30 09:37:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

I thought it would be locked already !
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-05-30 11:18:03
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

I thought it would be locked already !

They should just start these threads on Page 9. It would make it easier on everyone.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-05-30 11:20:03
Link | Quote | Reply

They should lock the thread when Hillary tells the truth...
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-05-30 13:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Republican Congressman Staunchly Opposes Gay Space Colonies

Quote:
Perhaps he thought no one would pay attention to his floor speech—it was only days before the Congress would go on their Memorial Day vacations—but Republican congressman Louie Gohmert of Texas decided to give a dire warning about the perils of gay people in space.

In the middle of a Thursday speech on the House floor, Gohmert, who once proclaimed that gay-rights activists were like Nazis, suddenly started talking about the film The Martian, in which Matt Damon’s astronaut character gets stranded on Mars and is forced to survive there for nearly two years.

Posing a hypothetical doomsday situation, with, say, “an asteroid coming, something that would end humanity on Earth, as dinosaurs were ended at one time. O.K., we’ve got a spaceship that can go, as Matt Damon did in the movie, plant a colony somewhere. We can have humans survive this terrible disaster about to befall. If you could decide what 40 people you put on the spacecraft that would save humanity, how many of those would be same-sex couples?” (The implication, of course, being that they would not want to have children.)

Saying that such a situation would make the government “a modern-day Noah,” Gohmert appealed to Congress’s collective reason: “How many same-sex couples would you take from the animal kingdom and from humans to put on a spacecraft to perpetuate humanity and the wildlife kingdom?”

(Hypothetically, gay and lesbian couples could conceive children with artificial insemination, technology that should be available to any civilization that could build a space colony.)

According to Right Wing Watch, this is a more sci-fi version of a former argument Gohmert once made about what would happen if only gay people were stranded on a desert island. “Let’s come back in 100 to 200 years and see which one nature says is the preferred marriage,” he argued.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-05-30 14:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »

Quote:
Perhaps he thought no one would pay attention to his floor speech—it was only days before the Congress would go on their Memorial Day vacations—but Republican congressman Louie Gohmert of Texas decided to give a dire warning about the perils of gay people in space.

In the middle of a Thursday speech on the House floor, Gohmert, who once proclaimed that gay-rights activists were like Nazis, suddenly started talking about the film The Martian, in which Matt Damon’s astronaut character gets stranded on Mars and is forced to survive there for nearly two years.

Posing a hypothetical doomsday situation, with, say, “an asteroid coming, something that would end humanity on Earth, as dinosaurs were ended at one time. O.K., we’ve got a spaceship that can go, as Matt Damon did in the movie, plant a colony somewhere. We can have humans survive this terrible disaster about to befall. If you could decide what 40 people you put on the spacecraft that would save humanity, how many of those would be same-sex couples?” (The implication, of course, being that they would not want to have children.)

Saying that such a situation would make the government “a modern-day Noah,” Gohmert appealed to Congress’s collective reason: “How many same-sex couples would you take from the animal kingdom and from humans to put on a spacecraft to perpetuate humanity and the wildlife kingdom?”

(Hypothetically, gay and lesbian couples could conceive children with artificial insemination, technology that should be available to any civilization that could build a space colony.)

According to Right Wing Watch, this is a more sci-fi version of a former argument Gohmert once made about what would happen if only gay people were stranded on a desert island. “Let’s come back in 100 to 200 years and see which one nature says is the preferred marriage,” he argued.

Reminds me of this:

YouTube Video Placeholder
By fonewear 2016-05-30 14:46:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Also Vanity Fair has as much credibility as Vogue magazine when it comes to politics !
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-05-30 15:08:23
Link | Quote | Reply

That's one stupid argument lol.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-05-30 15:36:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »

Quote:

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-05-30 15:42:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Even with all of our faults, Texas > Denmark by a longshot.
[+]
By Ackeron 2016-05-30 16:09:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Denmark is the Canada of Europe.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2016-05-30 16:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

i know there was a previous discussion about sultan erdogan, but when i see stuff like this go without any condemnation from any other world leader. am i the only one who feels like this guy isn't getting the credit he deserves for how dangerous he really is?
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-05-30 16:16:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Hevans said: »
i know there was a previous discussion about sultan erdogan, but when i see stuff like this go without any condemnation from any other world leader. am i the only one who feels like this guy isn't getting the credit he deserves for how dangerous he really is?
It's one the things that make me so *** mad!
Our governments are so annoyingly hypocritical..
Oh we need to remove Gheddafi and al-Assad cause they're so oppressive!
Really? Then why are we cool with Erdogan or al-Sisi? Or my favourite being so bff with the al-Saud family, even selling them the bombs they use to nuke the ***out of Yemen.
No, we only care about which ones cooperate with us and which don't, we don't give a *** about their people..

I *** hate Erdogan and it's insane we're even letting him into EU disregarding the lack of some basic freedoms in Turkey which are a requirement to be a part of it.

Only last month the guy fired Davutoglu cause he wasn't obedient enough, I don't trust this person one bit, he's a warmonger and dangerous.
 Valefor.Rawry
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Rawry 2016-05-30 16:17:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ackeron said: »
Denmark is the Canada of Europe.
That would be Sweden.
The danes are a bit nuts currently.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2016-05-30 16:23:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Really? Then why are we cool with Erdogan or al-Sisi? Or my favourite being so bff with the al-Saud family, even selling them the bombs they use to nuke the ***out of Yemen.

one of the things that always makes me laugh is when everyone talks about western support for israel. meanwhile the only real military threat to israel is egypt and saudi arabia both of whom buy tens of billions of dollars worth of arms at a time from the west.

dictators are great for business, cause you can always replace it with a new glorious revolution. unless of course you botch it like iran.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-05-30 16:43:26
Link | Quote | Reply

This video basically summarizes American politics:

Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2016-05-30 16:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember 2011 when Turkey wanted to be the bridge of Europe to Middle East.
He has isolated his country on many fronts now, pretty much only holding the EU hostage by now.
On the 2nd June, the german parliament will declare the killing on the Armenians as genocid. Usually turkey punishes such countries. It will be interesting to see how Erdogan reacts to it in this situation.
By fonewear 2016-05-30 16:49:13
Link | Quote | Reply

As an American I find all these references to Europe troubling yet I seem not to care !
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2016-05-30 17:42:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The End of Great Britain?

interesting article that talks about how the scottish nationalist parties could use a forced exit from the eu brought on by a "brexit" could tip the scales in favor of independence in the next referendum.

there are some economist who think the larger economies like gb/germany leaving the eu would actually benefit the smaller countries. it would establish a currency that was truly reflective of all members. the short term effects would be disastrous, but it comes down to whether you think the current ideal of one united europe is worth fighting for.

i think it's a good idea, but i really have no clue if that many different and unique groups can permanently exist as one. i think it would be amazing if it happened, but it's still cool to be alive while this attempt is happening.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-05-30 17:48:17
Link | Quote | Reply

whether you think the current ideal of one united europe is worth fighting for.
For me it is.

Although I would have started it differently as well. Like you say countries right now come from too different backgrounds to be able to stand together in every aspect.
Should have probably begun by uniting more similar countries like Benelux, a Med. Union, a Nordic Union, etc, and then bringing them into a larger Europe but with stronger backbones.

It's uphill, but like I was saying in the thread I made about this, if nationalism is kept at bay it will work out.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-05-30 20:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If the European countries are going to compete against the rest of the world they MUST federalize.

But leave the cheeses alone.

If they can leave traditional artisanal stuff alone, like cheeses, salamis, wines, olive oils, vinegars, they SO win.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-05-30 20:16:09
Link | Quote | Reply

one of the things that always makes me laugh is when everyone talks about western support for israel. meanwhile the only real military threat to israel is egypt and saudi arabia both of whom buy tens of billions of dollars worth of arms at a time from the west.

dictators are great for business, cause you can always replace it with a new glorious revolution. unless of course you botch it like iran.

Neither one of those counties would benefit from aggressive actions on Israel while many nearby countries use Israel as a scapegoat for their own domestic problems. Egypt even contracted it's own brand of radical Islam by not being aggressive towards Israel. Saudi is an entirely different entity, it's a secular monarchy that deals with radical Islam the old fashioned way, very bloody and efficient.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2016-05-30 20:17:06
Link | Quote | Reply

whether you think the current ideal of one united europe is worth fighting for.
For me it is.

Although I would have started it differently as well. Like you say countries right now come from too different backgrounds to be able to stand together in every aspect.
Should have probably begun by uniting more similar countries like Benelux, a Med. Union, a Nordic Union, etc, and then bringing them into a larger Europe but with stronger backbones.

It's uphill, but like I was saying in the thread I made about this, if nationalism is kept at bay it will work out.

i think it comes down to a millenia of fighting and it's turned into a relationship where the couple doesn't share their assets. instead of money for the common good, it's "my money" going to help "those people". it requires people to invest not money, but patience and acceptance. if it can hold in the next few decades people raise in that system will be able to continue it. just need enough counter protest to the people who refuse to let go of the old system.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-05-30 20:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

instead of money for the common good,

Doesn't exist, ever.

It's my money for my people and then your money for my people, then everyone else's money for my people. It is this way because you don't elect me, those other people don't elect me, my people elect me. This is the way of democracies. The only other way would be to demolish the democracy and institute a single party government with only nominal elections and thus unshackle the government from having to answer to it's own people first and foremost.

Any other belief is sheer political stupidity.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-05-30 21:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

i think it comes down to a millenia of fighting and it's turned into a relationship where the couple doesn't share their assets. instead of money for the common good, it's "my money" going to help "those people". it requires people to invest not money, but patience and acceptance. if it can hold in the next few decades people raise in that system will be able to continue it. just need enough counter protest to the people who refuse to let go of the old system.

Well, some of the cultural stereotypes that have been etched in stone for a millennia might hold true. Were it just a matter of Germany, Austria, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Finland, and (iffy) France, the conversation would be totally different, and that's a retrospective "butterfly effect" that some might not want to consider.

If we want to delve into "a millennia of fighting"...Well, damn! Germans and Brits couldn't have more of a love/hate relationship if Saxe-Coberg-Gothas and Hannovers are any indication!

Jokes for the few who will get them. Whatever. AH is carte blanche.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-05-31 06:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

North Korea attempted another missile launche...and it failed

Try again Kim.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-05-31 07:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I admit, I still giggle at 'taepo-dong'.
By fonewear 2016-05-31 09:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
I admit, I still giggle at 'taepo-dong'.

All I have to say is:

Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-05-31 10:10:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Even with all of our faults, Texas > Denmark by a longshot.
Ahhhh the old we are terrible but it's ok because someone else is worse than us argument! Classic...
First Page 2 ... 34 35 36