ffxi crash, never seen this one
First Page 2
 Asura.Azagarth
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2016-05-28 14:22:12
Link | Quote | Reply

was in a cs and windower crashed. This is common, but then this came up. Same error in both windower and official. Any ideas?
 Sylph.Ice
Server: Sylph
user: Ice
By Sylph.Ice 2016-05-28 14:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

That's an old error, way back from 2004 that I used to get.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ffxi+failed+to+initialize+direct3d&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
By Jetackuu 2016-05-28 14:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like since you were working that your display driver crashed, reboot and try again.
 Asura.Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2016-05-28 23:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

have tried everything i can think of, with the fixes i found online it will work now only in official pol, not windower... sad day!
 Asura.Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2016-05-29 02:09:23
Link | Quote | Reply

So I have figured out the problem I believe.... its something with resolution.

I go through ffxi config tool and i noticed all the settings somehow got reset to the deafaults. So i changed them back to window mode 1366 x 780. I could log into offical pol, but when i tried on windower I got the same error and crashed and I noticed it reset the settings again!

So it seems on the default setting ffxi crashes and windower seems to be resetting them or something.

I am at a loss because I really would have to play ffxi in a weird resolution without gearswap... shoot me now! Ideas??
 Asura.Yankke
user: Yankke23
By Asura.Yankke 2016-05-29 04:51:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like a good time to start using ashita 2? XD
 Diabolos.Raelia
Server: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2016-05-29 06:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Windows 10?
By Jetackuu 2016-05-29 09:13:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Seen the end results before, however I don't recall the fix. I'm certain there's other threads here with it.

Just to be certain, you are running windower as an admin? Double check your Windower resolution settings?

Just for the lulz, temporarily disable your a/v?
 Asura.Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2016-05-30 04:28:10
Link | Quote | Reply

yes windows 10 and still no go.... just playing w/o windower atm... have no clue whats up and have tried everything... kind of sad. How well does ashits do haha?
By Jetackuu 2016-05-30 08:45:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Just for shits and giggles, create a restore point, then restore to like a day before you had issues and try again.

If nothing else, try reinstalling windower?
By Chancellor 2016-05-30 10:31:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I have had the same problem before. To fix the issue I open the config program and change the screen size back to a low resolution. It seems like the resolution in there and windower conflict. Usually after changing it there windower works normally.
C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\ToolsUS\Final Fantasy XI Config.exe
Depending if your running xp or a 32 bit version it will be in the same location in the Program Files folder. If you downloaded the game from steam.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ffxi\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-05-30 11:03:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Azagarth said: »
windows 10
Found your problem!
By Northblade 2016-05-30 11:46:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I had this problem with windower4 and windows 8 awhile back. Ran fine for months and months until I crashed in a CS and never worked again. Even reinstalling the entire game didn't fix it. Eventually I just installed windows 7 on a different drive and haven't had an issue since. This give me zero confidence in doing the free windows 10 upgrade though....
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Ghostbane
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Ghostbane 2016-05-30 11:49:35
Link | Quote | Reply

It is just a bad driver. Simply reinstall POL and it fixes it 100%. Win10 was flawless on my desktop and had that error on my laptop. After reinstalling POL no errors since. Windows 8 to 10 had some conflicting stuff. 7 to 10 had 0 issues.
 Asura.Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2016-05-30 14:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Just for shits and giggles, create a restore point, then restore to like a day before you had issues and try again.

If nothing else, try reinstalling windower?

done the reinstall, nothing came of it. I am thinking to reinstall ffxi completely, but that really sucs, and if it doesnt work im out a day.
 Asura.Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2016-06-01 16:49:06
Link | Quote | Reply

so still SOL, there nothing left I can do but by a new computer. Any relatively cheap options for ffxi? suggestions?
By Jetackuu 2016-06-01 16:51:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I can potentially look at it later if you don't mind. But I'm totally going to go get a steak first.
By Jetackuu 2016-06-01 18:09:25
Link | Quote | Reply

They're having direct3d issues not direct play issues...

Also he would have that with or without windower and from the start not after a crash.
 Asura.Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2016-06-01 18:26:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya i already did the legacy part too just in case, all is well there though.

I am really stumped and now coming up to 1 week problem shooting, having done literally everything out there. No explanation at all as these fixes have worked for other but cannot for me.
By Jetackuu 2016-06-02 17:35:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm free for an hour or two if you want me to look at it.
By Jetackuu 2016-06-04 15:32:04
Link | Quote | Reply

@OP: Let me know if you still need help.
 Asura.Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2016-06-04 22:10:34
Link | Quote | Reply

ya still having the issue, I think the only thing I havent tried is to full reinstall windows 10, which is my next move, I just havent started yet because I am working on a few huge projects for school and just havent had the time to back everything up before, got 2 yrs of stuff to go through haha.
By superzombie23 2016-06-13 12:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Azagarth said: »
ya still having the issue, I think the only thing I havent tried is to full reinstall windows 10, which is my next move, I just havent started yet because I am working on a few huge projects for school and just havent had the time to back everything up before, got 2 yrs of stuff to go through haha.

I had the exact same problem on windows 10 x64. I did a complete clean reinstall of ffxi and my video drivers which seemed to fix the problem. I researched this problem, and you can't avoid it. I didn't have to reformat and just did what I did above, but the problem came back eventually and randomly after a game freeze crash. This is a windower and windows os compatibility issue. I highly recommend you try out Ashita, then you won't have to worry about it. Windower will freeze on certain quests, and you are just going to get the error randomly over and over again till you do a complete reinstall. I went over to Ashita and not looking back, or you're going to have to downgrade to like Windows 7 if you want an error free experience with windower.
By Jetackuu 2016-06-13 12:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

If a reinstall of XI and drivers fixes it then it's not a Windower issue...
By superzombie23 2016-06-13 12:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
If a reinstall of XI and drivers fixes it then it's not a Windower issue...
UM it is when you can log in fine on vanilla windower or Ashita. It's an error the windower devs have not figured out, and its the operating system that's the problem. The only remedy is downgrading your os.
First Page 2