Forum » FFXI » General » quick question - thinking of returning
quick question - thinking of returning
 Sylph.Auria
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: niktok
By Sylph.Auria 2016-05-26 10:21:53
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI been my passion since it launched. I quit, take a year hiatus now and again, and then come back regularly.

I read an article interviewing the remaining game devs and its general message was that they were basically shuttering the game and not releasing any content after the Rhapsody event and moving to more of a "keeping the lights on" status. The news here on FFXIAH main page seem to show otherwise.

I know the game is aging, but from my quick searches, i'm not finding a hell of a lot of info about state of game support. Seems everyone is moving to Asura or Odin (legacy Fairy player that moved over to Sylph with merger).

Anyone able to shed some light on the current state of the union?
 Bismarck.Arcos
Server: Bismarck
user: afranko22
By Bismarck.Arcos 2016-05-26 10:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I have been playing since CoP days.... That being said, I don't log on much in the spring/summer due to umpiring but I usually make a good rebound in August. I'm planning on returning in August to a bunch of newish content to cycle through.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember seeing official communications at one time that ToAU was the last "boxed/major" expansion. I also recall hearing that abyssea/VW was the last of the major updates. Then SoA was the end... Now we have Escha and Reisenjima...

Several pieces of old content get recycled(BCs/hardmode) and new smaller updates keep going. Just when I thought we were finally done with afterglow weapons, there is a forum post that leaves that door open even further. Then again, it may fall by the wayside like the upgraded UI...

Find something you want to do. When I came back last fall I wanted to work on my PLD and afterglow came along and I set that as a goal. I'll be back hardcore when they upgrade again, til then it's hit and miss.
 Sylph.Auria
user: niktok
By Sylph.Auria 2016-05-26 10:57:12
Link | Quote | Reply

interesting post...

There is always misinformation on the internet as well, one article said the game was completely shutting down in March, but that was obviously not true. The one i read specifically was a direct translation of an interview where they talked about completing content updates but that the game would stay alive "indefinitely" and that they were releasing a mobile app that allowed access to vanadiel in some aspect.

I've always been a soloer, with bst as my main for the longest time, so I have no trouble coming back with light populations or whatnot, but i do like to know that the servers aren't a ghost town and that they are still supporting bug fixes, etc. :)

Thanks for your reply!
 Asura.Cyleena
Server: Asura
user: Cyleena
By Asura.Cyleena 2016-05-26 11:31:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The game is still being supported to some degree. We still get game maintenance (fixes for stuff broke), and they are still releasing minor game content like some battlefields (Ambuscade is latest) they are just not releasing major content like new storylines (addons), etc. They are still making adjustments to jobs, gear, weapons, etc.

A lot of servers are ghost towns but not sure about Sylph. Asura has had tons of server transfers to it making it a even bigger server. Odin and Bahamut are also decent size with Odin being larger I think then Bahamut.

There is still lots to do on the game that can keep you busy.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2016-05-26 11:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph is dead. Very few shout groups and active LSes left. But there's still a lot to do if you can grab a couple of people and make a static.