[PS4 & PC] I Am Setsuna (Heavy Chrono Trigger Influence)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » [PS4 & PC] I am Setsuna (Heavy Chrono Trigger Influence)
[PS4 & PC] I am Setsuna (Heavy Chrono Trigger Influence)
VIP
By Kalila 2016-05-24 20:16:13
Link | Quote | Reply

“I Am Setsuna Is Chrono Trigger In Everything But Name”

YouTube Video Placeholder

In their press release today, Square mentioned that the battle system is inspired by Chrono Trigger.

Love the music in the trailer, love the return of double / triple(?) techs for the battle system, looking forward to this.

This game is going to be compared to one of the most highly regarded RPGs of all time, so it will have some expectations thrown at it fair or not.

Release Date: July 19
[+]
By Aelius 2016-05-24 20:25:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Will be bought once it hits the PSN.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-05-24 20:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Gameplay looks great, music and aesthetic seem solid, I guess it's just a matter of how good the plot is? One thing I loved about Chrono Trigger was that it was regularly silly in addition to telling an outstanding story.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2016-05-24 20:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, with only 56 days until release. Very excited :)
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2016-05-24 20:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

first game in awhile i'm genuinely looking forward to.
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-05-25 06:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sadly I heard it's very short (20ish hour?) and I hate the fact there won't be a retail (physical) version.

Regardless I'm gonna buy this game and I hope a lot of other people will do the same.
SE said Setsuna was an "experiment", and that if the game will sell enough, another game of the same style but with a much larger budget will be produced.
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2016-05-25 06:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Sadly I heard it's very short (20ish hour?) and I hate the fact there won't be a retail (physical) version.

Regardless I'm gonna buy this game and I hope a lot of other people will do the same.
SE said Setsuna was an "experiment", and that if the game will sell enough, another game of the same style but with a much larger budget will be produced.
To be fair there are games out there that that boast of 20 hours of gameplay lol.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-05-25 06:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I will defiantly buy. The game looks pretty as all hell and the music just gets me in my Piano feels. Been following the trailers and such for this for a while.
Kinda glad that SE diddn't over bloat/hype this game and kinda kept it under the rug at least in English anyways until very close to the release date.
Looks cute, interesting, the artstyle is like Bravely default x Final fantasy 3/4 remasters. (Even the NPCs look like they come straight out of the Final Fantasy 3 Ds/psp/pc release).
By Wordspoken 2016-05-25 07:50:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know about you, but 20ish hour is what takes to clear Chrono Trigger.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-05-25 14:53:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Just so you know, Pre-Orders are up on steam already. If you diddn't see it in RT earlier.
[+]
By Aelius 2016-05-25 15:35:13
Link | Quote | Reply

It's $40 on steam. I hope it has an endless side quest system.
VIP
By Kalila 2016-05-25 16:53:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Wordspoken said: »

I don't know about you, but 20ish hour is what takes to clear Chrono Trigger.
The posted average game time for SNES Chrono Trigger is 47.7 hours. I honestly don't remember how long it took me but 40 hours was about average for any SE game back then.

---

I am Setsuna's average playtime is 44 hours for PS4.
VIP
By Kalila 2016-05-25 16:57:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure with my playstyle I'll easily manage 40 hours, while others who play through games quickly normally would only expect to see around 25 hours.
By Afania 2016-05-25 17:07:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Paying for single player game is more like buying unique playing experience tbh. If a game is 5 hr long and cost $40, but it offers spectacular playing experience, I would think it's still worth the money.

On the other hand a f2p MMO game can be free to play with 500 hr of grind content, doesn't mean it's fun.

I would rather play a good and memorable game that's short, instead of tons of pointless content that artificially prolong the game time.

20hr isn't bad IMO.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-05-25 17:10:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Right. It's like i paid £10 for Bastion and £14 for Transistor. But both games are some of my favourite games of all time, despite their 6 hour run times. They're what you make of them.
By Draylo 2016-05-25 17:19:42
Link | Quote | Reply

This looks pretty cool.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-05-25 17:38:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If your concerned about Game length, i checked the OST. It's 71 tracks long. This isn't going to be short... by any means.
VIP
By Kalila 2016-05-25 21:17:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said, average game play time is listed at 44 hours for the PS4, but if you go straight story no sidequests, maybe the main story is only 20 hours, idk.
[+]
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-05-26 07:32:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I found a huge piece of Promoart work. its 6615x9355.
Enjoy it.
(I linked it off site its an 11.1MB File)
This is the best version of this image i could find.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [34 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-06-29 16:54:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The game comes out in a little under a month.
Im so happy they kept the game with just the announcement trailer, and haven't announced much else to it. theres a 1 hour game play session of it on youtube. But, with just the announce trailer. Im very excited.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-07-11 08:41:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Comes out officially in 8 days here.
In japan the game is called
いけにえと雪のセツ
which means "Setsuna of sacrifice and snow"...
HYPE!
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2016-07-11 08:52:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shadowlina said: »
いけにえと雪のセツ
セツナ*

Get your moon runes right!
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-07-11 08:54:07
Link | Quote | Reply

D: Sorrryyyyy
[+]
 Asura.Regicide
user: voiceless
By Asura.Regicide 2016-07-11 09:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Cant wait i was hyped for this more than FF7 Remaster TBH
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2016-07-15 20:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone else excited for this to be released next Tuesday? :D
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-08-01 03:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

So did anybody buy this? PS4? PC?
Did you guys finish it?
I'm at ~20.5 hours of gameplay and I'm

Not sure how far from the game I am, doubt I lost a lot of time becuase I didn't spend much time grinding or doing side stuff (haven't found any side stuff at all so far, to be fair).

So far so good, loving the game, altough I'm not really getting the Talisman thing, anybody care to explain better?
What I understood is:
1) They offer from 0 to 3 slots to equip spritnite (that is: passive, abilities, spells)
2) They offer a passive bonus (see enemy HP, more frequent bonus etc,) which is kinda rare so far, and another secondary bonus, which can be multiple ones. These secondary bonuses have a chance to "appear" on the spritnite you're equipping, powering them up.

Example: You have a "crit rate up" bonus in your Talisman.
Sometimes at the end of the fight it will "proc" and you will be asked if you want to imbue that bonus unto one of your spritnite.
If you do, that spritnite will also confer a "crit rate" bonus in addition to what it normally does.

This leaves me with some questions though:
1) What do some bonuses do? It's easy to understand stuff like "Crit Rate up" or "crit damage up" but other bonuses have strange names and I have no way to tell what it does exactely
2) How does the imbuing thing happen exactely? Is it completely random or is there a way to force it?
3) How does Spritnite A get chosen over Spritnite B or C for the imbuing thing, when it happens? Or is it random?

System is cool but I'm not sure I like it, seems a bit too strange/random, I would have liked something more old-style and linear for a game like this.
I have similar feelings for Spritnites. Would've loved more items to equip and have abilities/spells simply unlock as you level up instead of forcing you to make choices on which you want to equip and what not.
At least I apreciated that most of them are character-bound and not generic.

Rest of the game is fantastic and I'm in love with it but:
1) Setting gets a bit boring. It's snow everywhere. It's cool but they stretched it a bit too much maybe?
2) Kinda same feeling for the music. The minimal Piano thing is awesome but it gets a bit boring after a while
3) Wish there was a minimap in dungeons and maximap in the world areas
4) No fights in the world map wtf, why? :(
5) No taverns to rest hp/mp in towns, whyyy ;_;
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-08-01 04:01:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I am actually interested in this game as well and I plan on getting it for PS4
By Gruknor 2016-08-01 06:23:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Get it on ps4. I am Setsuna is worth it.
[+]