New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » What job is generally sought after
What job is generally sought after
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
By Rinuko 2016-05-07 02:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

What job is generally sought after nowdays?
I got almost all jobs at 99 from abyssea days. Now i recently got back to the game and have no clue what job to upgrade to 119
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2016-05-07 02:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU GEO SCH BLM PLD WHM COR BST
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-05-07 03:07:47
Link | Quote | Reply

BLM SCH GEO WHM RUN COR PLD

sometimes BRD PUP

BLU BST WAR THF DNC are popular picks when melee are used, but at that point you can usually bring whatever if it's sufficiently well geared and you put some thought into it. Having at least one job out of the first list on the other hand is basically mandatory if you want to participate in certain content/strategies.
 Asura.Cyleena
Server: Asura
user: Cyleena
By Asura.Cyleena 2016-05-07 03:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Rune Fencer is used a lot for tanking as well especially with the Reisenjima Helm NM (more preferred then pld for those by many groups but that is more for the hard end game groups).
[+]
By Ruaumoko 2016-05-07 03:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Tanks: RUN / PLD
Mages: BLM / SCH / WHM / RDM (lesser extent)
Support: GEO / COR / BRD (last two are pre-buffers)
DD: BLU / BST
[+]
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-05-07 04:55:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Noone has said SMN, So im also going to say SMN.
SMN is super Easy Kirin, and Eryins nyan cat...
Its also pretty good at taking out the T1 Catarae in Ru'Aun
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-05-07 08:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

SMN for life!

Basically, the answer is: Any job you like to play.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-05-07 08:18:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
SMN for life!

Basically, the answer is: Any job you like to play.
The thing about these threads is that most responses seem to be from people who are more heavily involved in the endiest of endgame stuff. A vast majority of the game's content can be done with any job and endless configurations.

Good luck finding a crew, OP, I should hope you get to play the jobs you love.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-05-07 08:19:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Rinuko said: »
What job is generally sought after nowdays?

Idris GEO

followed by

Idris GEO

then in a distant third place

Dunna GEO

Then everyone else after that.

Seriously, GEO is the new BRD.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-05-07 08:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

They are involved in the endiest of endgame stuff that only lasts for a couple of months now.

Then they move on to other things, while those who play the jobs they like still do that "endiest of endgame stuff" with the jobs they like and still get the gear they want.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-05-07 08:21:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »
COR / BRD (last two are pre-buffers)
I love to go to events to buff people and then wait outside while they have fun.
[+]
By Rinuko 2016-05-07 09:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Dont get me wrong, I love my bst and blu but its hard do stuff without 119 gear and will not likely get into groups without it.

So my solution is likely finish my geo and go from there
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-05-07 09:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
COR / BRD (last two are pre-buffers)
I love to go to events to buff people and then wait outside while they have fun.
Use Wild Card outside of party to spite them all

Mod Image Edit: Profanity
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-05-07 10:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

one that pays well.

idris geo, and epeolatry runes are nice too.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-05-07 10:19:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
They are involved in the endiest of endgame stuff that only lasts for a couple of months now.

Then they move on to other things, while those who play the jobs they like still do that "endiest of endgame stuff" with the jobs they like and still get the gear they want.

Which is why I said Idris GEO twice. GEO is the one job that's always needed in every event that isn't solo-able with trusts. We used to abuse BRD in every battle, now we just substitute GEO in it's place.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-05-07 10:50:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Mod Image Edit: Profanity
PAUL NOT YOU! I TRUSTED YOU
[+]
By Titanfoo 2016-05-07 13:23:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Whm
 Asura.Krystela
By Asura.Krystela 2016-05-07 13:24:56
Link | Quote | Reply

You forgot pup tanking and the situational smn! Cici will be a sadpanda.
By Ruaumoko 2016-05-07 23:20:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Krystela said: »
You forgot pup tanking and the situational smn! Cici will be a sadpanda.
Right you are. Time to revise that list.

Tanks: RUN / PLD / PUP (*)
Mages: BLM / SCH / WHM / RDM (**)
Support: GEO / COR (***) / BRD (****)

* PUP is used to tank targets that love to abuse Charm TP moves and spells as it helps keep Enmity somewhat stable. It's a very niche role but it's certainly there.
** RDM isn't a bad job and I'm looking for ways to incorporate it as a sole healer or assistant healer/buffer/debuffer for the tank party. As it stands however it'll be tough to convince people to let you come as it.
*** COR was initially a pre-buff job for us but a solid COR has a place in the actual alliance depending on the battle. Still, I'd highly suggest a COR main level one of the aforementioned jobs or they seriously run the risk of missing out. It's not the player's fault either, it's just the way SE designed content to scale.
**** Same thing as COR to be honest but some fights, in Reisenjima especially, are impossible without a solid BRD.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
Server: Leviathan
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2016-05-07 23:44:21
Link | Quote | Reply

NIN Drg War Mnk Thf Rng Dnc > rest!
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-05-16 05:38:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't understand people that come into a thread like this and go "Play whatever you want!"

If they had a job they wanted to play, they'd be playing it. They want advice on how to jump into the current endgame situation as quickly as they'd like, so no, telling them any job isn't going to work. You're also not helping, so just stop.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-05-16 07:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Sandraa said: »
Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
I don't understand people that come into a thread like this and go "Play whatever you want!"

If they had a job they wanted to play, they'd be playing it. They want advice on how to jump into the current endgame situation as quickly as they'd like, so no, telling them any job isn't going to work. You're also not helping, so just stop.

I think yeah play your favorite job its the best advice and specialy if you will put 100 Mil into 119 - III weapon.

I just wanted give him some directions and advise in some jobs.

I dislike a lot the people with Jump Into Bandwagons Jobs. Oh New meta changed to 1 Hander /toss my WAR in order of do more damage, instead of make a Conqueror ILV119 - III and try with all your efforts be close in the parse of THF, BLU, NIN or DNC.

Oh look you geared GEO to gear your THF.... How lovely you got full Wicked gear for your THF now but guess what? Your static wil perma frooze you in Geo buddy..... Your THF never will see the Light again, unless you dual box and can get a geo mule, or unless you leave that static and make ur own static where you can play Thief...

Some examples of Top players always will be remebered to stick to their jobs no matter what.

Draylo blue mage, do we saw draylo jumping Geo No right?
Melphina THF
Afania Corsair
Savael WAR
Byrth DNC

They had enough balls to stay with the job no matter what.

Saevel is in my LS. Do you know how much content he does on WAR? VD avatars and some Reisenjima T2's. On all t3/t4/WoC content he is on BLM. And Saevel is probably a perfect example here as he has basically the absolute maximum gear a WAR can possibly get and yet he's on another job 99% of the time.

Edit: In fact we just did some zitah t3/helms to get someone through for aeonic and he came BLU over WAR even. You can love a job and still understand the game mechanics do not allow it to be the one to play in the right situation.
[+]
 Asura.Foreverj
user: Foreverj
By Asura.Foreverj 2016-05-16 08:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Sandraa said: »

I think yeah play your favorite job its the best advice and specialy if you will put 100 Mil into 119 - III weapon.

I just wanted give him some directions and advise in some jobs.

I dislike a lot the people with Jump Into Bandwagons Jobs. Oh New meta changed to 1 Hander /toss my WAR in order of do more damage, instead of make a Conqueror ILV119 - III and try with all your efforts be close in the parse of THF, BLU, NIN or DNC.

Oh look you geared GEO to gear your THF.... How lovely you got full Wicked gear for your THF now but guess what? Your static wil perma frooze you in Geo buddy..... Your THF never will see the Light again, unless you dual box and can get a geo mule, or unless you leave that static and make ur own static where you can play Thief...

Some examples of Top players always will be remebered to stick to their jobs no matter what.

Draylo blue mage, do we saw draylo jumping Geo No right?
Melphina THF
Afania Corsair
Savael WAR
Byrth DNC

They had enough balls to stay with the job no matter what.

Saevel is in my LS. Do you know how much content he does on WAR? VD avatars and some Reisenjima T2's. On all t3/t4/WoC content he is on BLM. And Saevel is probably a perfect example here as he has basically the absolute maximum gear a WAR can possibly get and yet he's on another job 99% of the time.

Edit: In fact we just did some zitah t3/helms to get someone through for aeonic and he came BLU over WAR even. You can love a job and still understand the game mechanics do not allow it to be the one to play in the right situation.

Does Sandra even know these people to say they stick to their fav jobs for everything? Lol

It's not possible except for possibly Afania corsair. I think byrth used his dancer for maju but I doubt he can use dancer for T4s. He has a black Mage also.

Lady said it right. U can't play ur fav job if u wish to do certain content. If someone wants to play ur fav job make your own damn group and see how that turns out.

You have to bandwagon in today's ffxi. If someone fav job is scholar or black Mage then they lucked out.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-05-16 08:36:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yeah, and Melphina has a BLM, too. Since I talk to her occasionally.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2016-05-16 08:39:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I only used DNC for Maju (months ago, and haven't really done endgame since). I have job mastered RME PLD, BLM, Idris GEO, RME BRD, etc. so I don't get stuck trying to force a square peg into a round hole very often.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-05-16 08:51:33
Link | Quote | Reply

The key to today's FFXI environment is having job flexibility. Nobody can get by with just one job, not even GEO's. Many people gear up several jobs, some are going to be their "favorite" and others for "required" stuff. This goes double if someone doesn't have a solid group to experiment and do stuff on.

I absolutely love my WAR and BLU, and I prefer to use melee setups whenever the situation allows. Yet there are some things where I need to switch to BLM and blow it up, mostly things over CL135. I won't automatically default to using BLM on Bubbly Bernie nor would I attempt to use WAR on Schah. So my advice to anyone returning or starting fresh is to be versatile. Find a job(s) playstyle that you really enjoy, and definitely gear that job but also recognize the reality that you are going to need multiple useful jobs to progress in this game.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-05-16 09:24:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Take off the endgame blinders, gang, the OP is a dude who's returning to the game after years. There's a massive amount of content for him to get into before half of what you guys are saying will even make sense.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8