Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » About bringing new blood
About bringing new blood
By Zackan 2016-04-27 20:37:38
Link | Quote | Reply

i have a question for this community. so it's been a bit since I last logged in, been dealing with a divorce, school and playing ffxiv.

I have a girlfriend who is playing with me, she just created a character on ffxiv.

She is learning and new to this whole 'mmo thing'

If the goal is for us to play and when she is on for us to be doing stuff together.. 2 manning everything..(as much as is possible)..and if she is a straight noob....

What do yall think is better? 14 or 11? (this is about which do you think she might enjoy more, about learning curves)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Zackan 2016-04-27 20:46:38
Link | Quote | Reply

So if she is casual, is playing for the sake of spending time with me in game.. go with 14.. if she can be a serious player.. go with 11?

lol seems like 14 it is..
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-04-27 20:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

while i don't disagree with 14 being better for casuals, you're not going to be able to '2 man everything' without a lot of dungeon finder queueing in 14.. you can get a lot more done in xi as a 2man group and will generally have more available activities available just due to the amount of content the game has amassed
[+]
By Zackan 2016-04-27 20:59:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
while i don't disagree with 14 being better for casuals, you're not going to be able to '2 man everything' without a lot of dungeon finder queueing in 14.. you can get a lot more done in xi as a 2man group and will generally have more available activities available just due to the amount of content the game has amassed

yah thats what i was thinking and why i asked
 Asura.Vuq
Server: Asura
user: Delagyela
By Asura.Vuq 2016-04-27 21:43:14
Link | Quote | Reply

You will probly spend 2 full years straight explaining to her all the different mechanics and strategies and styles and whatever if you chose xi. Which doesnt really dwell on her patience but yours.
In xiv all u have to say is run out of the red spots. Lmao.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2016-04-27 21:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, 11 can be very casual as well, if you just do easy stuff like skirmish or missions. You dont really need to be a math expert nor gear sets warrior to win that.

14 is easier to understand if you've played WoW. But it could need pretty fast reaction to dodge the red circle. Certain fights could be instant wipe if one person makes mistake. For real casual players, it may be somewhat stressful.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-04-27 21:57:01
Link | Quote | Reply

You're going to need to expand on "casual". The battle systems of each game are significantly different.

Is she an avid gamer who will have no issue jumping into the fast-paced and split-reaction battles in some of XIV dungeons? Go with 14.

Is she probably a little slow and will be new to the whole thing? Go with XI. The battle system is far more forgiving to people as it's about gear/strategy and XIV's is more heavily based on making the right move at the time right.
By Zackan 2016-04-30 02:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know her history with games really, she is playing mostly as an excuse to hang out with me when we can't hang out physically.

I am not sure if she is good with the 'split reaction' style of things.. I know she kept dieing to some level 3 sheep... while doing a quest.. so ya..

One of the draws to maybe going ffxi is we can better actually hang out in game. In 14 there really is no point in me hanging out with her in game pre level 15.. I can make her some gear.. thats about it.. My lowest level classes in that game are drk/ast/mch.. at 30

in xi I have all 99's(unless new jobs have been released.) but.. even PL'ing her is more 'interactive' than it is in 14.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-04-30 02:20:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Zackan said: »
I don't know her history with games really, she is playing mostly as an excuse to hang out with me when we can't hang out physically.

I am not sure if she is good with the 'split reaction' style of things.. I know she kept dieing to some level 3 sheep... while doing a quest.. so ya..

One of the draws to maybe going ffxi is we can better actually hang out in game. In 14 there really is no point in me hanging out with her in game pre level 15.. I can make her some gear.. thats about it.. My lowest level classes in that game are drk/ast/mch.. at 30

in xi I have all 99's(unless new jobs have been released.) but.. even PL'ing her is more 'interactive' than it is in 14.

And if you want to let her "experience the game as it is meant to be" you can just level sync down to her and use a standard trust combo to simulate an old school party.
By Zackan 2016-04-30 02:24:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »

And if you want to let her "experience the game as it is meant to be" you can just level sync down to her and use a standard trust combo to simulate an old school party.

all the better, I am not against PL'ing.. but it should not be done on the FIRST class leveled up at least.. once you get your first 99 i would hope you understand game mechanics enough.. that we can forgive you not necessarily 'learning' your job till 99. But only job #2 and beyond
By Zackan 2016-04-30 02:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

on a different note, I heard this game was done having new life breathed into it(but bug fixes remain)

Is this true?
Is it in effect?

How has it affected the game?
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2016-04-30 02:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Dump the girl and just play FFXI... ^o^

Just kidding. ^_~
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-04-30 02:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

on a different note, I heard this game was done having new life breathed into it(but bug fixes remain)

Is this true?
Is it in effect?

Not true. We're not likely going to get brand new assets or an expansion/new zones, but if they can re-use old models and assets they'll keep generating content. We got a new battle system just this past month, even.
By Zackan 2016-04-30 03:11:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »

Is this true?
Is it in effect?

Not true. We're not likely going to get brand new assets or an expansion/new zones, but if they can re-use old models and assets they'll keep generating content. We got a new battle system just this past month, even.
nice
By Zackan 2016-04-30 03:15:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Skjalfeirdotter said: »
Dump the girl and just play FFXI... ^o^

Just kidding. ^_~

uh no.. my girl is the reason i may be coming back to ffxi lol.. no girl, no 11..

The main problem I have always had with 11 is the complete lack of a party finder system.

Sorry, Sitting in town for 5 hours to get help with a 5-15 minute fight is not my idea of a good time.

At least in 14 yah some que times may take that long.. but I can go mine or do any number of things while waiting on the que to pop up. the only way for me to do that in 11(unless things have changed in the last year or 2?) is to A: Have a 2nd account and have that character sit in town doing the shouting for me or B: "Just go solo or use trusts you noob"

These days 90% of content is solo-duoable (correct me if i am wrong) So except for the 10% of content that still needs help to have done.. I should be good with a perma duo partner(and not have to duo box)
By FaeQueenCory 2016-04-30 06:37:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Go with 11.

Now with Trusts all but the hardest of content is solo/duoable.
And some of the harder content is depending on if you or her decide to GEO.

You really never have to play with anyone ever again in 11 unless you want the best gear.
[+]
By Zackan 2016-05-02 01:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
Go with 11.

Now with Trusts all but the hardest of content is solo/duoable.
And some of the harder content is depending on if you or her decide to GEO.

You really never have to play with anyone ever again in 11 unless you want the best gear.

THIS..... may have just won me back over...

Play the game with my girl.. and only my girl? sounds awesome
By Zackan 2016-05-02 01:19:27
Link | Quote | Reply

oh ***.. if i remember.. i may have given away my character.. maybe even deleted it.. lol..

Well guess... I may be starting over from fresh! lol oh well!

I still have my playonline ID memorized so yah.. lol
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-05-02 02:07:40
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been a while since I've seen 14's community but take this with a grain of salt: There seems to be a bitter group of people that flock from MMO to MMO and basically hate all newbies. 14, when I played it, was not a game tolerant of people who'd never beat a fight before.

Cross-server dungeon finders basically have no lasting repercussions for someone being a jerk. If your gf is thin-skinned, cross-server DFs may turn her off of MMOs altogether.

In 11, the only reason you need more than 2 people for lightweight fun, is for things like Delve and Incursion where the game requires three to enter. Plus you can get her to 99 easily and use trusts to help do the heavy lifting to get her gear.
By Zackan 2016-05-02 03:09:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
It's been a while since I've seen 14's community but take this with a grain of salt: There seems to be a bitter group of people that flock from MMO to MMO and basically hate all newbies. 14, when I played it, was not a game tolerant of people who'd never beat a fight before.

Cross-server dungeon finders basically have no lasting repercussions for someone being a jerk. If your gf is thin-skinned, cross-server DFs may turn her off of MMOs altogether.

In 11, the only reason you need more than 2 people for lightweight fun, is for things like Delve and Incursion where the game requires three to enter. Plus you can get her to 99 easily and use trusts to help do the heavy lifting to get her gear.

yah and.. well it may be a good thing that I will be starting fresh myself... I think i deleted my character i dont remember( i had planned not to return.. this was before I found a girlfriend who may be interested in doing a permanent duo with me)(instead i had a wife who despised video games)