Random Politics & Religion #03

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #03
Random Politics & Religion #03
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 27 28 29
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-04-29 13:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
C'mon Flav, it's not a stretch to assume they people protesting (and rioting) at a Trump rally aren't Trump supporters. They're obviously there as an expression of their political ideology. One doesn't protest a political event because they agree with it, and one doesn't show up to riot a political rally when they're upset their sports team lost.
There are plenty of republicans that don't agree with trump and find him to be a big problem... Look at the party itself... They're literally trying to sabotage his run... So yeah...

Ok, you put your stock in that, the rest of us will be over here not patting down non-muslim 80 year old grandmothers at the airport security checkpoint.
And your bias shines brighter... At least don't try to hide it like you're employing some kind of actual logic...

Do you think you, or anyone really is without bias or prejudice?

How do you know the sky is blue?

The same way we know how the tides go in and out.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-04-29 13:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply

How can you claim to be somewhat less biased than others here then in the next breath blame one side for the majority of it?

Didn't we have a discussion earlier in this very incarnation of the thread about not blaming the whole group for the actions of some?

There's a difference between blaming an entire group for an offense and pointing ouch which one seems to cause the offense the most.

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
When there is a lack of data, observational judgment is all I can rely on. Correlation may not be causation, and the bias in media coverage unfortunately has an influence on how we perceive the world, but my perception is not based on nothing. Left-leaning cities and/or demographics are often at the hearts of these riots.
Please provide the data supporting the above.

I literally put a disclaimer about how there was a lack of data and that it was based on observational judgments, and you still ask where the hard data is. I hate to pull the old reading comprehension card here....

If every discussion in here was based on hard data alone, Random P&R threads would be dead by comparison. Just be glad that I'm one of the few to admit that my observations are simply just observations.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-04-29 13:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »

So can a lot of 3rd grade teachers. You don't need a legendary scientist for that.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-04-29 13:28:40
Link | Quote | Reply

So can a lot of 3rd grade teachers. You don't need a legendary scientist for that.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-04-29 13:30:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Or it's just Mr. Seconds finding an excuse to post another meme. You never can tell.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-04-29 13:33:09
Link | Quote | Reply

How can you claim to be somewhat less biased than others here then in the next breath blame one side for the majority of it?

Didn't we have a discussion earlier in this very incarnation of the thread about not blaming the whole group for the actions of some?

There's a difference between blaming an entire group for an offense and pointing ouch which one seems to cause the offense the most.

When there is a lack of data, observational judgment is all I can rely on. Correlation may not be causation, and the bias in media coverage unfortunately has an influence on how we perceive the world, but my perception is not based on nothing. Left-leaning cities and/or demographics are often at the hearts of these riots.

I literally put a disclaimer about how there was a lack of data and that it was based on observational judgments, and you still ask where the hard data is. I hate to pull the old reading comprehension card here....
Your perception is non-objective (as is mine). Your claims of observations are simply opinions.

Let's be honest and forthright:

You opine that left leaning cities and/or demographics are often at the hearts of these riots.

You believe that left leaning cities and/or demographics are often at the hearts of these riots.

You feel that left leaning cities and/or demographics are often at the hearts of these riots.

But you have no direct observation, personal or otherwise, that left leaning cities and/or demographics are often at the hearts of these riots.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-04-29 13:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Your perception is non-objective (as is mine). Your claims of observations are simply opinions.

You opine that left leaning cities and/or demographics are often at the hearts of these riots.

You believe that left leaning cities and/or demographics are often at the hearts of these riots.

You feel that left leaning cities and/or demographics are often at the hearts of these riots.

But you have no direct observation, personal or otherwise, that left leaning cities and/or demographics are often at the hearts of these riots.

That was hard.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-29 13:45:05
Link | Quote | Reply

C'mon Flav, it's not a stretch to assume they people protesting (and rioting) at a Trump rally aren't Trump supporters. They're obviously there as an expression of their political ideology. One doesn't protest a political event because they agree with it, and one doesn't show up to riot a political rally when they're upset their sports team lost.
There are plenty of republicans that don't agree with trump and find him to be a big problem... Look at the party itself... They're literally trying to sabotage his run... So yeah...

Ok, you put your stock in that, the rest of us will be over here not patting down non-muslim 80 year old grandmothers at the airport security checkpoint.
Eh? o_ò
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-04-29 13:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Riots happen in cities which are populated by far more people than sparsely populated suburbs and rural areas? Who knew.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-04-29 14:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

That was hard.
Hey, it's a start!
You've now provided a list of events, and the locations.
Now, you should be able to support that the cities listed are left leaning. And that it is statistically significant with relation to the total number of cities, so that it is actually meaningful to state left-leaning cities, rather than simply cities.

That's just the locations themselves; that doesn't even touch whether or not it is caused by indigenous vs transient population, or any other number of socioeconomic vs political factors.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-04-29 14:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Riots happen in cities which are populated by far more people than sparsely populated suburbs and rural areas? Who knew.

Hence correlation vs. causation... which I mentioned. Are you actually reading what I say or just nitpicking to make points that I already took into account?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-04-29 14:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, it's a start!
You've now provided a list of events, and the locations.
Now, you should be able to support that the cities listed are left leaning. And that it is statistically significant with relation to the total number of cities, so that it is actually meaningful to state left-leaning cities, rather than simply cities.

That's just the locations themselves; that doesn't even touch whether or not it is caused by indigenous vs transient population, or any other number of socioeconomic vs political factors

Sounds like fun. Now if I can get through these three other reports that I'm actually getting paid to create, I might take a crack at it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-04-29 14:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

You claimed left leaning cities and demographics were correlated with civil unrest when your link shows nothing nearly as specific.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-04-29 14:45:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Hence correlation vs. causation... which I mentioned. Are you actually reading what I say or just nitpicking to make points that I already took into account?
The only correlation pointed out has to do with population density... Are you actually still on this like you made a point?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-04-29 14:51:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
You claimed left leaning cities and demographics were correlated with civil unrest when your link shows nothing nearly as specific.

Let's look at the 2010s....

Harrisonburg, VA. (D) Mayor, purplish state.
Oakland, CA
Oakland, CA
Oakland, CA
Pennsylvania State (Over the firing of a coach. Basically a wash)
Oakland, CA
Chicago, IL
Anaheim, CA
Ferguson, MI
New York, NY and Berkeley, CA
Baltimore, MD
The Bundy occupation (Hey look, an exception)
SLC, UT (Following a cop shooting of a minority)
Donald Trump Protest
Democracy Spring

Don't see a correlation here?
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-29 14:55:31
Link | Quote | Reply

How many members of hate groups would even claim to be the left?
I have to respond like this:
How many violent criminals would even claim to be the left?
To which I respond, How many sociopaths claim to be elected politicians?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-04-29 14:55:38
Link | Quote | Reply

What's your point?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-04-29 14:57:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is a riot over a coach a wash?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-04-29 15:06:52
Link | Quote | Reply

What's your point?

That there's correlation? There are some really bizarre questions and comments going on today.... If you aren't following along, don't bother to chime in.

Why is a riot over a coach a wash?

Because it's basically a sports-related riot and thus fairly non-partisan. If you disagree, make a rebuttal.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-29 15:07:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Secretary of State, John Kerry has condemned Syrian rebels for bombing a hospital. Don't fret though. He is still going to continue funding and arming them.

"Hey guys, let's not bomb anymore civilians k? We don't want John Kerry condemning us again"
Doctors Without Borders: Airstrike on Aleppo, Syria, Hospital Kills 14
NBC

Quote:
The U.S. blamed the Syrian government Thursday for a direct airstrike on an Aleppo hospital that killed more than a dozen doctors and patients.

Two of the eight doctors working at the Al Quds hospital, which is located in rebel-held Aleppo and specializes in treating children, were killed in Wednesday's air attack, the Doctors Without Borders medical charity reported.

"These strikes were conducted by the regime, solely by the regime," State Department spokesman John Kirby said. "The facts are still coming but every indication we have seen so far points to the regime."
Come, come Ama. Even your beloved shock jocks aren't into kissing Assad's butt like you are.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-04-29 15:08:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I already took care of that troll attempt, Chanti.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-04-29 15:11:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The only overtly partisan incident listed would be Trump's. The rest you're just projecting onto.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-04-29 15:17:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The only overtly partisan incident listed would be Trump's. The rest you're just projecting onto.

There are plenty of cities with large populations that are right-leaning. Nearly every single one of those events has to do with a city or a group that is characterisically left-leaning. No, they're not "overtly partisan" events, but it takes an act of willful denial to not see that there is a, *cough*, CORRELATION. The League of Trying Too Hard to Argue Over Nothing can be adjourned, you've had a nice go.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-29 15:22:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Boehner compares Cruz to Lucifer. Satanists object!

Satanists Reject Ted Cruz Comparison
Boehner's not being fair to Lucifer, they say

Newser

Quote:
Likening Ted Cruz to "Lucifer in the flesh" is deeply unfair to the Dark One, according to annoyed Satanists. After John Boehner made the comparison, adding that he had "never worked with a more miserable son of a ***," the Satanic Temple was quick to distance itself from Cruz, Raw Story reports. "Cruz's failures of reason, compassion, decency, and humanity are products of his Christian pandering, if not an actual Christian faith," a temple spokesman tells the Friendly Atheist blog. "It grows tedious when pedophile priests and loathsome politicians are conveniently dismissed as Satanic, even as they spew biblical verse and prostrate themselves before the cross, recruiting the Christian faithful. Satanists will have nothing to do with any of them."

Cruz is notoriously unpopular among his fellow Republicans, some of whom agreed that Boehner was doing Satan a disservice, Politico reports. "Maybe he gives Lucifer a bad name by comparing him to Ted Cruz," New York Rep. Peter King said. "Listen, what John Boehner was most concerned about was Ted Cruz perpetrated a fraud and a hoax when he brought about the shutdown of the government on some kind of a vague promise that he was gonna be able to take ObamaCare out of the budget or to end ObamaCare." The Oregonian reports that in a development that may anger Satanists further, the domain Lucifer2016.com now redirects to Cruz's new CruzCarly.com website.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-04-29 15:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

There are plenty of cities with large populations that are right-leaning. Nearly every single one of those events has to do with a city or a group that is characterisically left-leaning. No, they're not "overtly partisan" events, but it takes an act of willful denial to not see that there is a, *cough*, CORRELATION. The League of Trying Too Hard to Argue Over Nothing can be adjourned, you've had a nice go.
Only one of those incidents is specifically related to partisanship. You're completely projecting party politics in situations where that wasn't a factor, which makes the whole subtext of your "correlation" about as subtle as a roundhouse kick to the face.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2016-04-29 15:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
If you have any actual facts that point to Syrian rebels carrying out the attack on the hospital in Aleppo as opposed to say, Assad or ISIS, feel free to share them. Otherwise you are just spreading misinformation to fit your narrative.

I will summarize Vic's post.

"NUH-UH!"

The ignorance you are touting is practically nauseating.

*yawn*
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2016-04-29 15:37:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Secretary of State, John Kerry has condemned Syrian rebels for bombing a hospital. Don't fret though. He is still going to continue funding and arming them.

"Hey guys, let's not bomb anymore civilians k? We don't want John Kerry condemning us again"
Doctors Without Borders: Airstrike on Aleppo, Syria, Hospital Kills 14
NBC

Quote:
The U.S. blamed the Syrian government Thursday for a direct airstrike on an Aleppo hospital that killed more than a dozen doctors and patients.

Two of the eight doctors working at the Al Quds hospital, which is located in rebel-held Aleppo and specializes in treating children, were killed in Wednesday's air attack, the Doctors Without Borders medical charity reported.

"These strikes were conducted by the regime, solely by the regime," State Department spokesman John Kirby said. "The facts are still coming but every indication we have seen so far points to the regime."
Come, come Ama. Even your beloved shock jocks aren't into kissing Assad's butt like you are.

How many years now Chanti have we been propping up and funding this civil war. How many hundreds of thousands are now dead as a result? How many refugees? All for one reason; President Obama's humiliation over backing down from his red line. Assad will outlast Obama.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 27 28 29