Forum » FFXI » Escha » Escha Sky Cat's
Escha Sky Cat's
 Leviathan.Yokhai
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2016-03-29 10:20:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been reading here and BG forums looking for information regarding fight strats on the Caturae for Escha Ru'Aun, specifically Khon and Ruea.

I've found the standard blunt/slash/piercing/ranged and then SC to white proc but our group has done these two north of 20 times and either we suck or are missing some key piece of information.

We typically have a WAR, MNK/THF and PLD tank that can try all damage types but it's no where close to consistent. I think I've seen one white proc and don't remember what caused it. We rotate damage types and can't drop Khon or Reua's shield reliably.

Can anyone who has these on farm mode give me a clue?

Thanks guys.
By Amunaptra 2016-03-29 10:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not only about damage type, it's about weapons.

In my experience Ruea likes to put up Club shield, you can only break it with a club weapon not with other blunt weapons like H2H or staff
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-03-29 10:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

There's no such thing as a "club shield"- only a blunt shield that most certainly can be broken by staves and numerous other sources of blunt damage. Hand-to-hand, however, is a slightly different damage type.
[+]
By dustinfoley 2016-03-29 10:32:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Typical we trio these with Geo + blue + summoner.

Blu will SB -> summoner will flaming crush -> if the enemy is still alive, you magic burst.

A good SMN will 1 shot all of the cat, and only needing a blue for SB means no need to feed tp to the CAT, thus you can kill it before it shields up.

IF it does shield up requi (sword ws) goes through all shields, and smn can blood boon pretty much all dmg types.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2016-03-29 11:14:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Yokhai said: »
I've been reading here and BG forums looking for information regarding fight strats on the Caturae for Escha Ru'Aun, specifically Khon and Ruea.

I've found the standard blunt/slash/piercing/ranged and then SC to white proc but our group has done these two north of 20 times and either we suck or are missing some key piece of information.

We typically have a WAR, MNK/THF and PLD tank that can try all damage types but it's no where close to consistent. I think I've seen one white proc and don't remember what caused it. We rotate damage types and can't drop Khon or Reua's shield reliably.

Can anyone who has these on farm mode give me a clue?

Thanks guys.

1. Get a cor, use regain chaos roll.
2. Use QD and requiescat when shield up.

Usually 1-2 QD breaks it's shield. Depends on how strong your qd sets are.

If you can't get a cor then your setup still works. War pld can use requiescat, MNK has formless strikes. Use wings to recharge tp for req when shields up.
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2016-03-29 11:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
There's no such thing as a "club shield"- only a blunt shield that most certainly can be broken by staves and numerous other sources of blunt damage. Hand-to-hand, however, is a slightly different damage type.

How is H2H slightly different from normal Blunt?

Forgot about Formless Strikes though. Good call on that. Don't have Cor but I think I can get one.

So is there a consensus on damage vs weapon type for these shields? I've read both theories and its hard to test.
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2016-03-29 11:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It's slightly different in the same way ranged is slightly different from piercing when calculating special damage multipliers. There's typically no difference, but there are instances (the ranged shield Ahriman have, magic pots) that have been present from the start of the game where they diverge.

Certain blue magic spells are H2H (ex: Frenetic Rip) rather than regular blunt (ex: Heavy Strike).
[+]
By stuntmandan 2016-03-29 12:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Amunaptra said: »
It's not only about damage type, it's about weapons.

In my experience Ruea likes to put up Club shield, you can only break it with a club weapon not with other blunt weapons like H2H or staff
This is also the same thing I've run in too many times. So Amunaptra is correct on the actual weapon type of damage to break the shields. The cats also reset the type of damage needed to bring down the shields after certain TP moves.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-03-29 13:02:30
Link | Quote | Reply

~6000 damage removes the shield. Categories are:

Hand-to-hand
club/staff
piercing
ranged(unconfirmed)
slashing
light aligned magic(fire/light/thunder/wind)
dark aligned magic(ice/water/earth/dark)

Requiescat, quick draw, wildfire, and concentric pulse always work.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2016-03-29 13:06:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure I've encountered a ranged shield that I've had to Req down/let a NPC with a ranged weapon whittle down.
[+]
 Leviathan.Yokhai
By Leviathan.Yokhai 2016-03-29 13:18:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
~6000 damage removes the shield. Categories are:

Hand-to-hand
club/staff
piercing
ranged(unconfirmed)
slashing
light aligned magic(fire/light/thunder/wind)
dark aligned magic(ice/water/earth/dark)

Requiescat, quick draw, wildfire, and concentric pulse always work.

Thanks Bro! This is exactly the break down I was looking for.

I think we can confirm Ranged, our RNG was getting hits using gun and archery while our THF was getting zeroes with Dagger, and in another instance dagger was doing damage while archery wasn't. I think we can say ranged is its own category.

I appreciate the input everyone. Keep coming with your strats if you got em!
 Asura.Isiolia
Server: Asura
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2016-03-29 14:29:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Yokhai said: »
I appreciate the input everyone. Keep coming with your strats if you got em!

While it has been discussed in other threads, and referenced here, a BLU can break nearly all of the shields via spells. Far as I know, the only damage type they can't really provide is ranged. In addition to Frenetic Rip, I think Tail Slap is also H2H damage. For others, of commonly set spells, Heavy Strike will do blunt, Thrashing Assault n' Delta Thrust will do Slashing, and Sinker Drill will do piercing. Elements for nukes are obvious.

When I farmed Khon, I was just using BLU + GEO + trusts. Rather than try to bounce hate so I could melee, I just turned around and spammed physical spells on it. It's not the fastest thing, but it works. I did sometimes get Ranged to come up (I guess?) which was slower to take down, but either trust damage (Qultada in my case) or it changing damage type kept it from being too bad.

I didn't set nukes, since I could nuke on GEO if that was needed. Outside of possible trusts, that might be a shortcoming of your job setup.

The other Cats aren't usually as troublesome, since they're so squishy/low HP to start with. For those, using TP items or whatnot for Requiescat if needed usually works fine/better, as they often won't live long enough to use a shield multiple times (or at all).
 Bismarck.Arcos
Server: Bismarck
user: afranko22
By Bismarck.Arcos 2016-03-29 15:42:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I finished my farming of Khon and Ruea for now. I found it was easiest to farm on PLD and I tried with BLU and THF as well.

For PLD, I used Arciela2, Ulmia, Qultada, Joachim and Apu.
I was able to do enough damage to it that it usually had less than 3 shields. Any time they put up a shield, I would cast reprisal and Requiscat until shield was off. Sometimes it was 1 but at worst it was 3 Requiscat. The annoying part was if they use shields back to back. At that point, Palisade and Temps to help eliminate shield or let it rotate and hope for slashing. I know it doesn't seem like much, but Valorous Mask helped when blocking for TP.

Apu was able to keep MP up easily when I tanked. When I let August or Amchuchu tank, MP was much harder on Apu.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]