POL will not load
 Shiva.Vonduke
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Vonduke
By Shiva.Vonduke 2016-03-07 21:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey guys,

I just updated my Nvidia drivers and since this has happened POL will not even load. Every time I go to launch POL, the window comes up but is just black. I've made sure DirectPlay is working, deleted FFXI/POL completely and reinstalled and still nothing. Also, my triggers were working on my Xbox One controller but since I wiped my settings I cannot get them to work again. I have Windows 10 64-bit. If anyone knows anything about this I'd greatly appreciate it ^^
 Shiva.Vonduke
By Shiva.Vonduke 2016-03-07 21:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I just downloaded POL from the SE website and I'm going to try to update POL from there, hopefully this will do something
 Shiva.Vonduke
By Shiva.Vonduke 2016-03-08 01:36:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Welp, now it's coming up but will not update to the current POL. I downloaded the POL from SquareEnix and that works fine, is there any way to fix the POL downloaded from Steam? Because it does not seem to want to update.
 Asura.Regicide
Server: Asura
user: voiceless
By Asura.Regicide 2016-03-08 02:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Remove both Steam And pol and install again SE POL
By Jetackuu 2016-03-08 05:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Aside from that you just shouldn't use steam for XI (unless you're more savvy), never "update" XI/POL from steam, it doesn't work.

As for updating your drivers and it not working, it could be that some window settings got changed but the simpler explanation is that the new version isn't compatible with XI, which means you just need to revert, it sucks but it happens.

Which card and which driver version by chance?
 Shiva.Vonduke
By Shiva.Vonduke 2016-03-08 07:30:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a Nvidia GTX580 and it's the version 364.47. I actually ended up getting past where I was crashing previously pre-log in screen by reinstalling Windows 10. But now it's crashing when I go from POL to FFXI. I've seen some issues reported similar to this and I've tried the regedit HERE but that did not work as well. I do use Windower so I was hoping this was going to fix it, but I honestly don't really know what it does

PLUS I'm in a stump on why POL does not work when my controller is plugged in but will when it's not..lol
 Sylph.Ticu
Server: Sylph
user: ticu
By Sylph.Ticu 2016-03-08 08:51:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I had this exact same problem. I found a workaround that if you open one instance of playonline and let it hang, open another instance and it'll work just fine.
 Shiva.Vonduke
By Shiva.Vonduke 2016-03-09 15:48:13
Link | Quote | Reply

So you just log in Ticu, sit at the screen before the "Play" button, then open up another instance?
 Asura.Sabishii
Server: Asura
user: Sabishii
By Asura.Sabishii 2016-03-09 20:01:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Vonduke said: »
It's a Nvidia GTX580 and it's the version 364.47. I actually ended up getting past where I was crashing previously pre-log in screen by reinstalling Windows 10. But now it's crashing when I go from POL to FFXI. I've seen some issues reported similar to this and I've tried the regedit HERE but that did not work as well. I do use Windower so I was hoping this was going to fix it, but I honestly don't really know what it does

PLUS I'm in a stump on why POL does not work when my controller is plugged in but will when it's not..lol

Having the same issue, having the xbone controller plugged in when moving from POL to FFXI causes the game to become unresponsive, but unplugging the controller causes the game to work normally. It's not a huge issue for me because I use the keyboard for FFIX, and the controller for other games, but it's very weird.
 Shiva.Vonduke
By Shiva.Vonduke 2016-03-10 14:06:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I actually found that out just through trial and error haha still am unable to use windower, I even uninstalled FFXI/POL from Steam and downloaded from the SE website and it is still crashing..
 Shiva.Vonduke
By Shiva.Vonduke 2016-03-10 14:09:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Going to try my AV and see if that could be it right now. I do not know what else to try at this point
By BlaTheTaru 2016-03-13 12:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Von! Have you made any progress? I bought my wife a new laptop last night and every time we go from pol update to ffxi full client it crashes. Vanilla and windower both. We're uninstalling steam, and going to try to install if from SE. I'm not sure if it's a windows 10 problem or not.
 Fenrir.Cariboulou
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cariboulou 2016-03-13 13:04:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Had nothing but problems with steam and ffxi. Ended up few years ago just buying ffxi on Amazon getting the online download. Im Using a laptop on windows 10 and a desktop with win 10 now. Haven't had any issues with windowed or just the pol client since.
 leo
By leo 2016-03-13 13:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Why you bought another copy? Do you really like them that much? lol

The download is free for anyone at PlayOnline website.
 Shiva.Vonduke
By Shiva.Vonduke 2016-03-13 14:32:51
Link | Quote | Reply

No progress on Windower at all, it's crashing from the POL to FFXI transition.
By Jetackuu 2016-03-13 16:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Double check your resolution settings in both ffxiconfig for your region and windower? Make sure you're running as an admin?
 Shiva.Torias
By Shiva.Torias 2016-03-29 20:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Were you able to resolve this? I'm having the same issue. It loads just fine if I don't use windower but it fails at the transition from POL to FFXI