By Jassik 2016-02-19 09:14:12
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not sata, it's pci-e and yeah, they get surprisingly hot
VIP
By Jassik 2016-02-19 09:20:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Masterbuyer said: »
Asus GTX 980TI

I rather go with asus GTX 980Ti which is 30% cooler also I rather have them keep the card cooler and last longer in the long run and I don't mind it being below the 7200MHz mark, The card I have is giving up on me XFX R7970 which it gets hot and restarts the computer now on ultra settings in gaming.
I could just thermal paste the damn thing so it last compile more years but decided to give it back since its under warranty on top of that I'm NEVER going to buy XFX brand again there base is in china which sucks when sending the item abroad... from uk.

If you're sticking with air, any of the big partners are fine based on your brand preference and of course the color theme of the build. If you're going water, I'd skip the aftermarket cards and go reference unless you can get one cheaper than reference. No point spending more on an aftermarket cooler you're just going to remove.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-02-19 11:10:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say hold off on splurging on a 5930k or 5960x's since the skylake versions will be coming out soon enough and will be similarly priced.

If you really just want to game any of the skylake i5's will do the job for next few years. If you have a fry's electronics in your state, sign up for their email deals and you can buy a 6400 @ $159 today.

On a side note people tend to not look at Xeons but for comparison sake a Xeon E3-1241 is basically a 4th/5th generation quad core i7 sans built in graphics at a reasonable price point.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2016-02-19 11:42:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Xeons are typically clocked a lot lower, though, so if people aren't comfortable with base clock over clocking and possibly voiding warranty, that might be a concern. Even though it's not necessarily required, ECC memory is typically more expensive as well.
[+]