Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Extreme Gaming Build Open For Suggestion
Extreme Gaming Build Open For Suggestion
First Page 2
By Masterbuyer 2016-02-10 21:56:42
Link | Quote | Reply

unknown error Please refresh page...
By Masterbuyer 2016-02-12 10:55:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bump come on I'm sure there's players that are geek crazy when it comes to PC's no suggestion ):
VIP
By Jassik 2016-02-12 11:47:33
Link | Quote | Reply

This isn't really an extreme gaming rig. I spent about $2300 and mine isn't even extreme.

I'd skip x99 unless you are going 8 core, the benefits for gaming over z97 or skylake are next to nothing at that level.
 Bismarck.Speedyjim
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: speedyjim
By Bismarck.Speedyjim 2016-02-12 11:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not exactly a PC guru myself, but if you want to "future proof" your computer, maybe add more RAM (64GB) and a higher end GPU, possibly in SLI or Xfire config.
By Jetackuu 2016-02-12 11:59:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Upgrade to a M.2 SSD over sata. Has DMA as it bypasses the controller, much faster.
 Sylph.Scummy
Server: Sylph
user: scummy
By Sylph.Scummy 2016-02-12 12:01:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Samsung 950 PRO Series M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD, 512GB
VIP
By Jassik 2016-02-12 13:34:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Agreed, if you're not using sli/crossfire, take advantage of the spare pci-e lanes and get the most speed out of your storage. Nvme m.2 is almost twice as fast as sata 3.
By Jetackuu 2016-02-12 13:38:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Your board disables your lanes? Last build I did, did not.
VIP
By Jassik 2016-02-12 15:12:00
Link | Quote | Reply

You only have so many direct to the CPU, and lower end processors have far less. So, say you have only 16 lanes direct to the socket and you're running sli. You now have, depending on the board, your gpu's running below 8x bus or your running one of them through the chipset. And, depending on the board and CPU, you might be wasting your time on m.2 because it's real speed is shackled by the chipset bus. So, if you don't have the lane configuration to support it, m.2 can be ineffective.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-02-12 18:52:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Read Tom's Hardware.

Ask there.
By Jetackuu 2016-02-12 19:45:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
You only have so many direct to the CPU, and lower end processors have far less. So, say you have only 16 lanes direct to the socket and you're running sli. You now have, depending on the board, your gpu's running below 8x bus or your running one of them through the chipset. And, depending on the board and CPU, you might be wasting your time on m.2 because it's real speed is shackled by the chipset bus. So, if you don't have the lane configuration to support it, m.2 can be ineffective.

Ah, I don't buy crap boards, word.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2016-02-12 19:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

prolly be overkill till it gets home and built, then it be outdated in 3 months worth as new stuff would be out.
By Masterbuyer 2016-02-12 22:36:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said: »
prolly be overkill till it gets home and built, then it be outdated in 3 months worth as new stuff would be out.

That I really doubt it as of now no game uses full 6 cores for gaming. Also on top of that no game uses full CUDA core full max out when the developers are building a game for it.

Quote:
This isn't really an extreme gaming rig. I spent about $2300 and mine isn't even extreme.

I'd skip x99 unless you are going 8 core, the benefits for gaming over z97 or skylake are next to nothing at that level.

you spent $2300 I'm getting my product close to wholesale rate prices. I'm buying my product from resellers. Yeah you know they really can dumb down buyers to get the products

The build I have is overclockable that mean I can take the CPU to 4Ghz same with memory rams.
LinusTechTips
https://youtu.be/uom9SsPocCE?t=11m21s

If it does not boost the frame rate drop it :P

I think the only thing I will be looking at is the GTX 980 Ti but right now my graphic card can play any game at ultra settings so still thinking.
VIP
By Jassik 2016-02-13 00:59:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

Ah, I don't buy crap boards, word.

Those aren't crap boards, bud. Even a full tilt X99 board won't have more than 20 direct PCI-E lanes even though the 5960X has 40 total and those are basically the best combo for an extreme desktop build. My Asus Z170A/6700K only has 16 direct lanes, 28 total, which is the most of any skylake chipset. And, depending on the arrangement of the board, you could have lane layouts that just don't add up to what you would need for SLI/Crossfire AND real M.2 speed.

Thankfully, even in 3.0 8x + 4x SLI won't have a drastic effect on a M.2, but it's generally a bad idea to build a PC without room for upgrade. Hence, 1 top tier card over 2 mid-tier, especially if you want to utilize M.2

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2016-02-13 01:12:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Masterbuyer said: »
you spent $2300 I'm getting my product close to wholesale rate prices. I'm buying my product from resellers. Yeah you know they really can dumb down buyers to get the products

I bought from wholesalers, overstock retailers, and even commercial retailers we use for work. I didn't SPEND 2300, that's what it would cost to build it. But, that doesn't really matter. I was just commenting that "Extreme" usually means top tier across the board. In x99's case, it would be something like this. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4Mx9f7
And add another 1200-1500 for custom water cooling and any additional storage and peripherals.
By Masterbuyer 2016-02-13 12:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I bought from wholesalers, overstock retailers, and even commercial retailers we use for work. I didn't SPEND 2300, that's what it would cost to build it. But, that doesn't really matter. I was just commenting that "Extreme" usually means top tier across the board. In x99's case, it would be something like this. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4Mx9f7
And add another 1200-1500 for custom water cooling and any additional storage and peripherals.

I think I'm going with linusTechTips info regarding extreme build.

Only reason I'm going for 6 core is because I'm getting them way cheap and can offer buyers to buy the rigs.

so there's no point me buying XYZ if the frame rate does not go up for gaming.
VIP
By Jassik 2016-02-13 12:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I'm going with linusTechTips info regarding extreme build.

Only reason I'm going for 6 core is because I'm getting them way cheap and can offer buyers to buy the rigs.

so there's no point me buying XYZ if the frame rate does not go up for gaming.

If you're planning to sell them, I guess build what sells. I assumed from the way your worded the OP that you were building a PC for yourself.
 Asura.Ninjaface
Server: Asura
user: Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2016-02-13 13:52:28
Link | Quote | Reply

tech still progresses so fast you can't really future proof anything in regards to the tech itself. Consoles will keep your tech relevant for years when it comes to gaming though. If you're trying to "future-proof" any build, you're spending too much money on it.
[+]
 Asura.Kazaki
user: Kazaki
By Asura.Kazaki 2016-02-13 14:21:19
Link | Quote | Reply

This walkthrough will help you build a future safe computer.

YouTube Video Placeholder
VIP
By Jassik 2016-02-13 15:39:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ninjaface said: »
tech still progresses so fast you can't really future proof anything in regards to the tech itself. Consoles will keep your tech relevant for years when it comes to gaming though. If you're trying to "future-proof" any build, you're spending too much money on it.

The solution for tech advancing quickly isn't to artificially stunt it for a decade like consoles do. You can get a full console generation out of a PC without breaking the bank and be current the whole time. It costs a little more, but there are dozens of other advantages.
[+]
 Asura.Ninjaface
user: Ninjaface
By Asura.Ninjaface 2016-02-15 23:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

That's what I mean. So far as gaming is concerned, the simple presence of consoles makes it so you can spend a lot less on a PC and have a totally relevant rig for years. Consoles keep older tech usable.

I had a 480 until I, just this year, upgraded, and I'm still using a 2500k that I don't see replacing for a long long time, since everyone making games seems to want parity between consoles and PC, so that the PC doesn't blow away the console version(stupid, IMO, but it is what my point hinged on).
VIP
By Jassik 2016-02-16 12:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, I get a little pissed that consoles are able to halt progress for pc's for a decade just because developers don't want to make a game twice, but when that title that really pushes it pops up once or twice a year, I get a glimpse of what PC gaming really should be. And suddenly the work and money I put into my PC seems worth it.
[+]
By Masterbuyer 2016-02-18 23:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I was looking at the Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD and my jaw dropped has anyone seen the read and write speed on this baby O.O
Samsung says they will release a 1TB I might be waiting for that this is Over KILL
VIP
By Jassik 2016-02-19 00:16:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I was looking at the Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD and my jaw dropped has anyone seen the read and write speed on this baby O.O
Samsung says they will release a 1TB I might be waiting for that this is Over KILL

2 512gb 850 Evo's in RAID 0 will be just about as fast as a single 950 Pro M.2 at around 70% of the price. I don't see much use for 1TB M.2 drives unless you're doing video editing or some similarly data heavy task. If you really want to go overboard, do a 256gb M.2 for the OS and a few games and 2 EVO's in RAID 0 or 1 for the rest of your storage. You'll still have lighting fast storage or still very fast storage with fault tolerance, but M.2 drives get really hot and you won't be working it so hard and using so many of your read/write cycles on the expensive drive.
 Asura.Crevox
user: Crevox
By Asura.Crevox 2016-02-19 00:55:53
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want fast read/write for gaming, just use a ramdisk. It will be faster than all those options.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2016-02-19 07:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Crevox said: »
If you want fast read/write for gaming, just use a ramdisk. It will be faster than all those options.

RAM disks fell out of fashion for a long time because games got so much bigger. You'd need 16-32GB to play a modern title and all it would change is loading times and every other thing you did with the PC would be slower.
 Cerberus.Drayco
Server: Cerberus
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2016-02-19 07:33:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I bought a EVGA 980ti last month. Great googlymoogly is that thing fast. When taxes come in, I'm going to pick up a i7 5390k 6core, X99, and 32gb DDR4 3200.

Right now I'm running a 4.9ghz (liquid cooled) OC'd AMD 8350 and a cheap asus M5A97 board. Fallout 4, Alien Isolation, Shadows of Mordor, and GTA5 all run 100+FPS on ultra settings at 1080p. I'm basically buying the new parts because... MOAR POWA! I don't even need it.
By Masterbuyer 2016-02-19 08:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asus GTX 980TI

I rather go with asus GTX 980Ti which is 30% cooler also I rather have them keep the card cooler and last longer in the long run and I don't mind it being below the 7200MHz mark, The card I have is giving up on me XFX R7970 which it gets hot and restarts the computer now on ultra settings in gaming.
I could just thermal paste the damn thing so it last compile more years but decided to give it back since its under warranty on top of that I'm NEVER going to buy XFX brand again there base is in china which sucks when sending the item abroad... from uk.
By Masterbuyer 2016-02-19 09:02:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

2 512gb 850 Evo's in RAID 0 will be just about as fast as a single 950 Pro M.2 at around 70% of the price. I don't see much use for 1TB M.2 drives unless you're doing video editing or some similarly data heavy task. If you really want to go overboard, do a 256gb M.2 for the OS and a few games and 2 EVO's in RAID 0 or 1 for the rest of your storage. You'll still have lighting fast storage or still very fast storage with fault tolerance, but M.2 drives get really hot and you won't be working it so hard and using so many of your read/write cycles on the expensive drive.

I didn't think M.2 Sata get hot tho O.o
First Page 2