How Would You Improve Shields? (besides Blocking)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » How would you improve shields? (besides blocking)
How would you improve shields? (besides blocking)
First Page 2
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-01-23 21:53:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I know that shields aren't getting any love in the February update :(.

Lets have some reasonable fun with this thread, what enhancements would you do to either shield, besides blocking, to fit in line with the shield's strengths or weaknesses?

I'd make a blocked attack on Aegis give the weakened attack for a short duration, similar to bio, but not stacking with Bio. Or maybe, and this almost breaks the "besides blocking" rule, I'd make Aegis enhance reprisal too, like Priwen.

For Ochain, I'd make shield bash give 500 TP.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-01-23 21:56:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd put RUN on them
[+]
 Cerberus.Drayco
Server: Cerberus
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2016-01-23 22:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Shield based weapon skills.
[+]
 Asura.Lanselot
Server: Asura
user: aeronx
By Asura.Lanselot 2016-01-23 23:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Aegis final form id put 5% occ to absorb magic that goes past the cap that's in place already.

Ochain id put like a reduces shield bash recast time 30secs.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2016-01-23 23:28:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Significantly increase or entirely remove reprisal's damage cap. That shouldn't wear off just cause you deal a minuscule amount of damage to the mob.

I'd want blocking counters to be reverted back to how it was.

And give Aegis a massive Meva stat or a Tenacity trait(a higher tier one). It's dumb that you can reduce 87.5% of all magic damage but the ultimate magic shield can't even keep you safe from any status effects. I dunno about anyone else, but I'd be willing to trade some MDT over cap for some form of magic evasion.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2016-01-23 23:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lanselot said: »
Aegis final form id put 5% occ to absorb magic that goes past the cap that's in place already.

Ochain id put like a reduces shield bash recast time 30secs.

I'd say give Ochain the same. An Occ Absorb Physical Damage, but at a lesser rate than Aegis 5%, since it blocks so much.
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
Server: Leviathan
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2016-01-23 23:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Give the "Occ. Resets HP/MP/TP to full upon successful block" Or give us a tarutaru platemail as a shield.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-01-24 01:36:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Drayco said: »
Shield based weapon skills.

Are you serious? Could be neat.

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Significantly increase or entirely remove reprisal's damage cap. That shouldn't wear off just cause you deal a minuscule amount of damage to the mob.

I'd want blocking counters to be reverted back to how it was.

And give Aegis a massive Meva stat or a Tenacity trait(a higher tier one). It's dumb that you can reduce 87.5% of all magic damage but the ultimate magic shield can't even keep you safe from any status effects. I dunno about anyone else, but I'd be willing to trade some MDT over cap for some form of magic evasion.

It's been a long time, and I quit for a couple years. How has blocking counters changed? I haven't paid much attention to counts I guess.

But I agree about Aegis and enfeebles. And yet, they don't want it to be a passive runefencer on your arm.

Without RUN, I'd be all for this idea--100%, but with RUN, it just seems too easy. Ya know what I mean?

Rather than m.eva, what about chance to resist status ailments +%?

Or better yet, status ailment time reduction. Like you're afflicted for half the time you would be?

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
I'd say give Ochain the same. An Occ Absorb Physical Damage, but at a lesser rate than Aegis 5%, since it blocks so much.

Or how about an "Occ'ly annuls physical damage, 5%"? Or even all damage types.
By Voren 2016-01-24 02:04:49
Link | Quote | Reply

ilvl119 Aegis and Ochain: Gain enmity upon successful block +10, Mag Eva + 215, Shield Skill + 242

Been a while since I played, but it seems a bit silly to keep the block rate the same and not increase the amount of shield skill. Having a 95 Ochain pre SoA you blocked damn near everything. Not sure how it is now, experiences may vary, but using it on current content seems like it would be like bringing a plywood shield to block howitzers.

The enmity gain perhaps isn't a necessity, but couldn't hurt to have a nice little effect to help maintain hate control. Mag Eva is on every other piece of armor, why not shields.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-01-24 02:19:11
Link | Quote | Reply

All the way through the first 4 delves, I can't think of anything I didn't block with Ochain.

Sure, paladins weren't tanking delve bosses, and most of the WKR's were done with Aegis, but I was blocking everything that swung at me.

The enmity gain Voren talks about would be more like Burtgang's reduces enmity loss when taking physical damage. Taking damage is how tanks lose enmity, so we aren't going to get a shield that gives it instead. It would literally be gamebreaking.

As an Aegis/Ochain PLD (like most, so not bragging), I'd hate to SE balancing enmity around a shield. That would make it a lot harder on PLD's trying to play the job while acquiring gear.
By Davorin 2016-01-24 02:51:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it would be kinda cool if Aegis and Ochain had shield bash trigger an aftermath-like buff. Maybe an enhanced phalanx buff for Ochain, and enhanced rampart buff for Aegis. That said, I would have no idea how to manipulate shield bash's recast, or the duration of the aftermath to be effective and not totally game breaking.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-01-24 03:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I think it would be kinda cool if Aegis and Ochain had shield bash trigger an aftermath-like buff.

That's called an Afterglow.

That said, if I were considering a further enhancement to Ochain, +Phalanx wouldn't be a bad idea. Aegis is just a lot harder to balance, as the reduced blockrate has played a part in making RUN more worthwhile. One possibility would be to change Aegis's Shield Bash enhancement to reduced recast rather than extra (shitty) damage.
[+]
By Davorin 2016-01-24 03:25:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose it's similar to afterglow, but what I had in mind was something more of what a player can manage for a specific timing, rather than perpetual.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-01-24 03:51:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Davorin said: »
I suppose it's similar to afterglow, but what I had in mind was something more of what a player can manage for a specific timing, rather than perpetual.

No, Aegis Afterglow: Afterglow is activated by using Shield Bash and reduces Magic Damage Taken by 5% (13/256) for party members within 10' AoE for 30 seconds.

Ochain Afterglow: Afterglow is activated by using Shield Bash and reduces Physical Damage Taken by 7% (18/256) for party members within 10' AoE for 30 seconds.

That sounds exactly like what you're suggesting? That said, considering the investment that is afterglow, both are pretty weak since they don't even pass cap and would end up weaker than stoneskin against anything but obscenely large hits.
[+]
By Davorin 2016-01-24 04:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, I see. I skimmed over and ignored the part about activation. derp.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2016-01-24 07:11:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Neither shield really needs anything tbh though I supposes the increases resistance to status ailments that's on Adamas would be nice on Aegis and Phalanx+ and a def boost to Ochain. Could possibly add reduces enmity loss when taking physical damage but that could be a bit op.
 Asura.Azriel
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2016-01-24 07:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Add effect def down on bash <.<
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2016-01-24 08:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »
Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »

Or how about an "Occ'ly annuls physical damage, 5%"? Or even all damage types.

I always thought it would be nice if they had included some of the old-style shield functionality (i.e. a very tiny chance of complete physical damage mitigation, scaling upward slightly by shield size) with the 'newer' blocking system...it would be a small boon to PLD and other shield-users, especially on higher level content where parrying (which effectively is a similar check/mitigation, albeit after shields, I think) so rarely comes into play for PLD.

Assuming the %-chance-to-activate was (relatively) low enough, it would be a small bonus without being so overpowered as to skew enmity balance, creating too much safety, etc. and could be a property of all shields, not just specific ones.

Also...

By fonewear 2016-01-24 08:27:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I know that shields aren't getting any love in the February update :(.

Lets have some reasonable fun with this thread, what enhancements would you do to either shield, besides blocking, to fit in line with the shield's strengths or weaknesses?

I'd make a blocked attack on Aegis give the weakened attack for a short duration, similar to bio, but not stacking with Bio. Or maybe, and this almost breaks the "besides blocking" rule, I'd make Aegis enhance reprisal too, like Priwen.

For Ochain, I'd make shield bash give 500 TP.

I'd do something like this:

[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2016-01-24 08:39:12
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been a long time, and I quit for a couple years. How has blocking counters changed? I haven't paid much attention to counts I guess.
Prior to an update(that was some time ago) when the mob triggered a counter, and then you triggered a block, the counter simply wouldn't even go off. Ochain pld was effectively immune to counters. I don't even know if they meant to do it, but they changed something and now it doesn't do it anymore. I think that you can't even block the counters anymore. So counters do full damage(but I'm not entirely sure on that).

Rather than m.eva, what about chance to resist status ailments +%?

Or better yet, status ailment time reduction. Like you're afflicted for half the time you would be?
The % to resist status ailments is what the job trait Tenacity does. Though I don't know the % rate on it. Only RUN and Blu get it. But I do like the idea of reduced status time.
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2016-01-24 10:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

a great way to "fix" Aegis would be to increase it's block rate such that it would be higher than floored on current content.
By fonewear 2016-01-24 10:24:31
Link | Quote | Reply

How about this:

Shield skill 304 DMG taken -100% Magic DMG taken -100% 100% block rate Shield Bash plus 300% DEF:1

DEF:1 for balance !

Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2016-01-24 10:34:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Equipping a shield lockstyles you into Goofy cosplay.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2016-01-24 10:36:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Give a dd job, that ussual go 2h, a huge boost to WS so they wpn+shield option is more ussuable or maybe evne more pwoerfull than using a 2h weapons.
I bet that will go well with playerbase
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2016-01-24 10:39:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ochain: Enhance Reprisal duration, effect and damage cap. Grant an additional effect upon successful block that inflicts negative stats to the monster. Be it -eva, -def or even - atk.

Aegis: enhance shield bash effect to become conal, raise the chance to stun upon use, lower the recast time or even turn it into a semi-automatic effect of a successful block (it would still occur less often thatn Ochain's block rate).

Raise shield skill+ on both.

Last, but not least, once you 121 both shields you gain the ability to go full turtle and dual wield them, unlocking the 1h ability "Bashing Gun", similar to a 100 fists move wherein you spam shield bash for 30 seconds inflicting all the additional effects previously mentioned. Fair and balanced.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-01-24 13:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
How about this:

Shield skill 304 DMG taken -100% Magic DMG taken -100% 100% block rate Shield Bash plus 300% DEF:1

DEF:1 for balance !

I think you forogt "Reflect Status Ailments +100"
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2016-01-24 13:53:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I lol'd at Cap's shield, mainly because I have said publically that that's what you get if you smooshed an Aegis and an Ochain together.

Seriously, though, an increase to shield skill wouldn't kill anything. Especially for those people who went through the torture of afterglowing their shields.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2016-01-24 16:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd make shields swappable without losing TP or Aftermath.
[+]
 Asura.Lanselot
By Asura.Lanselot 2016-01-24 16:59:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
I'd make shields swappable without losing TP or Aftermath.

I would be perfectly happy if they did this instead of upgrading the shields instead. It would apply to everyone but would greatly benefit plds.
 Asura.Lanselot
By Asura.Lanselot 2016-01-24 17:06:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It'd be cool if they added to aegis that it turns shield bash into shield strike like from AAEV.
First Page 2