users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Will this computer run FFXI in decent settings
Will this computer run FFXI in decent settings
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Angeljcar
By Odin.Blazeoffury 2016-01-21 14:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Will this computer run ffxi with decent settings without any lag? Perhaps 1024x728

Intel Core i5-2520M Processor 2.5GHz
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
4GB RAM
320GB Hard Drive
Intel HD Graphics 3000
DVD-RW Drive
15" Display
The refurbished 15" Latitude E6520 laptop computer is built for the new mobile class with the durability, productivity, security and easy manageability you've come to expect from the Latitude E-Family.
By Jetackuu 2016-01-21 14:13:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazeoffury said: »
1024x728

edit: aside from that the integrated intel HD 3000 series and FFXI have had a rocky history, not sure how well it would work if at all.
By Odin.Blazeoffury 2016-01-21 14:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Darn. Okay.
By Artemicion 2016-01-21 14:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Get a discrete graphics card if you can, since integrated graphics and FFXI tend not to get along with each other. Otherwise I think you'll be okay.
By Jetackuu 2016-01-21 14:24:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said: »
Get a discrete graphics card if you can, since integrated graphics and FFXI tend not to get along with each other. Otherwise I think you'll be okay.
They used to not to, anymore it should be fine.

However from what I read on an old thread the 3000 series had an issue.
By Odin.Blazeoffury 2016-01-21 16:36:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Spent a little more and bought a computer with

2.2GHZ processor
4GB ram
2GB AMD R4 2GB graphics card. Hopefully this runs it smooth.
By Jetackuu 2016-01-21 19:42:32
Link | Quote | Reply

For the price of a refurbished business class computer you could have probably picked up something newer and that would run it better.

But good luck.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-01-21 20:17:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Intel HD Graphics 3000 says no.

The rest is OK.
[+]
By Warukyure 2016-01-21 20:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

This does work, FFXI can literally run on a toaster.

Unless, you're trying to multi-box.

I've had a Toshiba with the same specs and it runs it fine. It can even run on an i5-4510U which is only at 1.7 GHz

I've also had a laptop with a Core 2 Duo that could run it on the integrated Intel GMA 950.
[+]
By Jadey 2016-01-21 23:01:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Remember the FFXI PC client came out in 2002. I had a single-core AMD Athlon 64-based computer in 2003 that ran it fine. The minimum specs are still a Pentium III 800mhz processor. Any computer that a pawn shop would still put out there and not feel guilty about should be able to run FFXI without much issue.

Multiboxing is another story, you'll want some half-decent specs for that. The client is heavily processor based and I had issues with heat until I manually assigned each instance to its own core.
 Sylph.Elwynbelwyn
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Elwynbelwyn 2016-02-02 10:11:26
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have any video card made in the last five years or so it will probably run FFXI just fine.

My current Windows laptop is a three year old 17" E6520 1920x1080 (but with an Nvidia 4200M/2GB) that I got used for $150 (more than worth it). The 4200M has trouble with recent games, but it laughs at FFXI. I haven't tried FFXI with the Nvidia disabled, though.

As for FFXI and Intel integrated graphics, it's the GMA 9xx series drivers that had so many problems for me. I once tried it on an old Inspiron 14xx with Intel GMA 9xx graphics and it would randomly blue-screen anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 hours after starting to play.

When I upgraded a PC to a GTX 750Ti, FFXI ran just fine. Then I tried a modern game and the system would reboot almost immediately. Turns out the problem was my puny 400 watt power supply. That meant that the video card was barely lifting a finger to run FFXI.

Seriously, FFXI was designed to run on the PlayStation 2. Its graphics are really lightweight by modern standards.
By Jetackuu 2016-02-02 10:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Warukyure said: »

I've had a Toshiba with the same specs and it runs it fine. It can even run on an i5-4510U which is only at 1.7 GHz

I've also had a laptop with a Core 2 Duo that could run it on the integrated Intel GMA 950.
Yet it literally can't, and those specs say no.

But as you think ghz still make that much of a difference in 2016 says a lot.

Sylph.Elwynbelwyn said: »
As for FFXI and Intel integrated graphics, it's the GMA 9xx series drivers that had so many problems. I once tried it on an old Inspiron 14xx with Intel GMA 9xx graphics and it would randomly blue-screen anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 hours after starting to play.

There's been known issues with the 3000 series, regardless of how old it is, he did what he should have and found something with a different chip, so it's moot.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-02-02 10:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure you can run FFXI on anything with enough memory to install it. When I started I had a superold pc that barely ran pinball, yet it ran FFXI too! Sure it lagged a lot, but it still worked lol.
By Jetackuu 2016-02-02 11:43:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Pretty sure you can run FFXI on anything with enough storage memory to install it. When I started I had a superold pc that barely ran pinball, yet it ran FFXI too! Sure it lagged a lot, but it still worked lol.

ftfy, for those who will be confused.

No, there's a lot of systems that won't run it, or run it well due to the way they did the PC port of the game.

However most current computers should be able to run it with little or no problems outside of some configuration needed, at worst a different (older or newer, depending) graphics driver.

In the particular case of the OP's original choice, the Intel integrated 3000's drivers had known compatibility issues, I'm not aware if they were ever resolved and I haven't had a chance to test one yet.

For desktops it's not usually an issue as one could always get even a cheap dedicated card to throw in and bypass the issue, for (most) laptops or something like a USDT PC it would be problematic as you can't just change it.

I realize most are cracking jokes, but as the guy actually asked legitimately, he should know what he's in for.
By Odin.Blazeoffury 2016-02-02 12:48:29
Link | Quote | Reply

thank you. I got something much beter and its worked well thus far.
 Bahamut.Striker
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Striker 2016-02-02 13:04:55
Link | Quote | Reply

This is true, I can run it on this toaster http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PD6UFDS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
virtually no draw distance and the graphical clarity of a NES, but it runs at a smooth 15 FPS at native resolution. Also have multi boxed on it.
 Asura.Isiolia
Server: Asura
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2016-02-02 13:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
In the particular case of the OP's original choice, the Intel integrated 3000's drivers had known compatibility issues, I'm not aware if they were ever resolved and I haven't had a chance to test one yet.

From what I've seen out of multiple Intel graphics (want to say 4000 rather than 3000 though) machines using Windows 8-10...their drivers (or some other software component) just do not run FFXI well. Gets the job done if you just want to log in to do some basic stuff when on a trip or something, but I couldn't see using it as your primary way to play.

It's not really that the hardware isn't/shouldn't be capable, since you can turn around and run similar vintage games very well.

Maybe older versions of Windows work better, or it could be worked around by running in a VM...but in general, as folks have tended to suggest in these thread, a discrete graphics card is highly desirable.
By Jetackuu 2016-02-02 13:08:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Striker said: »

This is true, I can run it on this toaster http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PD6UFDS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
virtually no draw distance and the graphical clarity of a NES, but it runs at a smooth 15 FPS at native resolution. Also have multi boxed on it.
Sounds horrid.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-02-02 13:09:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Isiolia said: »
Jetackuu said: »

From what I've seen out of multiple Intel graphics (want to say 4000 rather than 3000 though) machines using Windows 8-10...their drivers (or some other software component) just do not run FFXI well. Gets the job done if you just want to log in to do some basic stuff when on a trip or something, but I couldn't see using it as your primary way to play.

It's not really that the hardware isn't/shouldn't be capable, since you can turn around and run similar vintage games very well.

Maybe older versions of Windows work better, or it could be worked around by running in a VM...but in general, as folks have tended to suggest in these thread, a discrete graphics card is highly desirable.

If one doesn't know how to get their system working then yes, it's typically the way to go.
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-02-02 13:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

My toaster can toast doughnuts, can yours?

Very flat doughnuts.
 Bahamut.Striker
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Striker 2016-02-02 13:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »

My toaster can toast doughnuts, can yours?

Very flat doughnuts.
dayaaaam, mine doesn't have that upgraydd
 Sylph.Malphius
Server: Sylph
user: Malphius
By Sylph.Malphius 2016-02-02 18:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

A low end smartphone could run FFXI lol.
 Bismarck.Unaskedthrasher
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Unaskedthrasher 2016-02-04 01:22:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Malphius said: »
A low end smartphone could run FFXI lol.
Tru dat,actually SE is in the process of making an app to run it on those said phones :)