Forum » FFXI » General » Logged in from another location
Logged in from another location
 Lakshmi.Himself
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: himself87
By Lakshmi.Himself 2016-01-08 09:14:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone else recently had the notification of this Playonline ID has been logged on from another terminal message recently? I'm at work and used remote desktop to get on to my computer and saw the message. I don't see anything missing from my characters but won't be able to thoroughly go through them until I get home. Seems like it would be impossible for someone to get on to an account nowadays with Playonline ID, Password, SquareEnix ID, password and the software token..

Hoping it was just a fluke error thrown but I changed all of the passwords anyway.

Happy Hunting.
By Clinpachi 2016-01-08 09:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd be extremely concerned because that absolutely means that someone logged into playonline using your details while you are logged in. Very unlikely to be a glitch or fluke. It's possible you logged back in and kicked them off just in time before they raided/deleted your character like they've been known to do.

Hope you haven't used questionable third party tools or websites lately because there are ways around it if they are good enough.
 Lakshmi.Himself
By Lakshmi.Himself 2016-01-08 09:55:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, that's for sure a possibility that I interrupted their efforts. I was hacked once long ago probably 8/9 years ago but that was pre-software token. Windower is the only third party tool I use and have ever used. Extremely concerning for me as well! Characters were all in the same spot I had left them. I'm not exactly sure when it even happened. Haven't sat down at my computer since Wednesday evening and just noticed this morning.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2016-01-08 09:57:40
Link | Quote | Reply

IP, PC, Router, ISP, and a few others have caused this before, when they change slightly, sometimes ending up in a locked account for me.
By Clinpachi 2016-01-08 10:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

In all the years I've played (most of the time with multi-box accounts), I've never had anything cause the direct "Logged in from another location" error other than forgetting I already had the character logged in on a minimized window, or if my wife logged in upstairs when I was using her character.

Otherwise its the standard disconnect error. I wouldn't say it's impossible. It's just very unlikely.

Maybe you minimized or lost a window and logged back in then later found it?

I'd say just watch everything very carefully and if it happens again change your passwords immediately through the web page and hope someone doesn't have you key-logged somehow.
 Lakshmi.Himself
By Lakshmi.Himself 2016-01-08 10:13:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It would have to be key logged and somehow have access to my software token. I don't see any other windows open for me to have kicked myself off. Keeping an eye on it.

Have my remote desktop on my phone at work and just have it sitting open. ha. Paranoia.. Gotta love it.
 Asura.Toralin
Server: Asura
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-01-08 10:52:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone besides you knows your POL ID/PW. You will get this message a as long as someone tried to log you in with the correct POL ID/PW. If they try with the wrong SE ID/PW/Token it will still boot you(with the message). So its possible you got this message but your account was not fully comprimised. Inversely if they dont have the proper POL PW it will not boot you.

tldr& change your POL PW at minimum.
 Lakshmi.Himself
By Lakshmi.Himself 2016-01-08 10:58:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. I changed all of the passwords to be safe. I was actually going to test just the Playonline info to see if that would boot me and it appears you saved me a step.

This is the most likely case if I had to guess..

Thanks all. I'll update if anything further occurs.
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Slyshen1
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2016-01-19 17:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If you get this message, it's not because they necessarily got the password right, but they at least attempted to get into your account and your POL ID is definitely compromised. They at the very least know your POL ID. I have accidentally tried logging into my account, thinking I was logging into my other ID, different password, and it still booted me with wrong password. You don't have to know someones password, simply their POL ID, in order to give them this message.

Sometimes they will wait until you are inactive. Either watch you via another character and see when you go 'offline' in order to surprise attack you and gain an extra advantage of not being stopped. Chances are you stopped them, but it could only be temporarily. They obviously know your ID so be very careful for the next few weeks, or even months cause it could happen again. Change all your password/info via a phone, not the same PC you use to play your Final Fantasy. That will at least prevent you from getting keylogged further than you might already be. Good luck! Sorry if that sounded a bit confusing.
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Slyshen1
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2016-01-19 17:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Toralin said: »
Someone besides you knows your POL ID/PW. You will get this message a as long as someone tried to log you in with the correct POL ID/PW. If they try with the wrong SE ID/PW/Token it will still boot you(with the message). So its possible you got this message but your account was not fully comprimised. Inversely if they dont have the proper POL PW it will not boot you.

tldr& change your POL PW at minimum.

You can definitely still boot someone without knowing their password. If you gave me your ID right now, nothing else. I could boot you from the game with only that. Tried and tested.